As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] FAQ Thread !NDA dropped!

• Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So if you want to take the castle the noobs have to be owning too? Weird, you would think that they would just downgrade you similarly to the way you get upgraded in scenarios.

I would be 150% happier with this than the chicken alternative.

Take higher-levels to the highest possible level for a tier when you enter one--like if I were l30 and entered a Tier 1 area, I'd drop back down to 11, which is the highest to stay in that area.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I am rather impressed with the descriptions of how "solid" avatars change PVP - It would be awesome to be able to use some actual blocking tactics in such a situation, really making tanks feel useful and all.

Just a pity I don't have a windows gaming machine:(

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Just a pity I don't have a windows gaming machine:(

So you mean you don't have a gaming machine at all?

Since, you know... Macs.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Question.

Answer.

If your post contains neither you are doing it wrong.

Accualt on
  • Options
    suadeosuadeo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Opps. Forgot I was in the FAQ Thread. Deleted.

suadeo on
    Valseki.png
    My 360 is [strike]back[/strike] [strike]bricked[/strike] back! :D
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So hey, I was cruising the forums at that wardb.com site and when it comes to the mastery tree, apparently just putting points in does not get you the ability?

From what I read it sounds like you have to put 5 points in the tree to unlock the ability and then you actually have to spend one additional point in order to be able to use that ability? (I.E. "Exchange Vitality" the 5 point talent in the Magus Daemonology tree requires 6 points for me to actually able to use it)

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2008
    That is correct, Kwoaru.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    That is correct, Kwoaru.

That seems silly to me, but I guess it makes you think harder about what you really want. :|

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    If you think of it that way it is silly, but Exchange Vitality is actually the 6 point talent.

It's the same as the WoW skills that "require 20 points in X tree" except not depicted as clearly.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    waywardryanwaywardryan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    http://www.wardb.com/career.aspx?id=18#0:0:0:0:15:43688

So I have 25 points to spend total at 40 correct? And if I want to max out a certain tree (say skirmisher for SW) I have exactly 3 points left? And then are those 3 points completely worthless since I can't buy another skill with them?

waywardryan on
    Lemon - Bright Wizard
    Bijaz - Ironbreaker
  • Options
    edited August 2008

So I have 25 points to spend total at 40 correct? And if I want to max out a certain tree (say skirmisher for SW) I have exactly 3 points left? And then are those 3 points completely worthless since I can't buy another skill with them?

Maybe not? The same thread I was reading at wardb also said something about 5 other points you get for...something. I'm not really sure but 3 people mentioned having 30 points, so maybe their career thing just isn't finished?

EDIT: this thread on the second page

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You get points with renown levels as well, but I don't know the exact breakdown from that.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    In a three-man group situation, where it's Warrior Priest, Archmage, and Tank, would it be better for the tank to be an Ironbreaker or a Swordmaster? And I'm more concerned with RvR situations.

At the risk of sounding cliche: try both and go to which one you like. Or go by race. Those tanks play very differently from each other but both do their role fine. I love the Dwarfs in the game but I think the SM is one of the more original tanks I've played with their balance mechanic and I think they have a great style.

Then again I'm more into the RP/flavor of classes. I guess though I wanted to say neither class 'sucks' but have different mechanics. I think the SM is more original but it really should go down to if you want to be a Dwarf or an Elf or the mechanics involved for fun.

Timmer on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh hey, what about this:

Is there communication between factions, or is it like WoW where Alliance and Horde cannot understand each others' speech (save for ways people use fuckery to bypass the code)?

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You get points with renown levels as well, but I don't know the exact breakdown from that.

1 at renown rank 60 and every 5 renown ranks after that.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Oh hey, what about this:

Is there communication between factions, or is it like WoW where Alliance and Horde cannot understand each others' speech (save for ways people use fuckery to bypass the code)?

I've talked tons of shit,a nd I'm sure opponents have also--you dont see a SINGLE WORD from them.

No garbled text for some fucknut to decode--I havent seen a single word bubble from anyone.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Realistically there's very little reason to grab all the skills and tactics in your mastery line. You can only have four tactics (aside from the renown and tome tactics) and each class has a bunch of core tactics. I'll usually only grab one or two tactics. Then the skills are nice, though some of them are really just cool extras. For example, the last skill in each mastery path is a tier four morale. On my Marauder I found no real reason to grab the tier four morale unless I had points to burn as it was unlikely I would make it to maximum morale with out dieing (in terms of RvR). Most of the time I found myself grabbing one tactic and two skills.

At level forty it might even be realistic to spec into two different masteries equally, a possibility I've thought about to make the Marauder's mechanic of more use.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Monstrosity Marauders will want to pick up most of the things available to them in their line.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think this is the build I really want, but looking at some of the mastery trees it is entirely possible to get a good mix of abilities and bonuses from two trees.

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    magus trees will be changing very soon, so dont have your heart set on anything

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Is that a hunch based on how they perform now or is that based information from mythic?

Also, to keep the ball rolling, when do you get mounts and are they difficult to get? Like in WoW I had a hard time getting enough gold for a mount on my first character, is it similar in WAR?

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, White Lions.

Do the lions start off as cubs and grow as you level, like they claimed originally, or do you start with one that looks the same all the way through your career?

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Is that a hunch based on how they perform now or is that based information from mythic?

Also, to keep the ball rolling, when do you get mounts and are they difficult to get? Like in WoW I had a hard time getting enough gold for a mount on my first character, is it similar in WAR?

In beta, mounts are 30g and obtainable at lv. 20.

I fucked around with my money, painting two entire outfits at some point (about 4g total for what I painted), experimented with Apothecary (waste of time and money), and bought plenty of sets of RvR gear, and when I hit 20 I had about 20g.

I could've had the 30 if I'd have just picked up everything I saw and vendored, but I carried around a ton of epic Talisman pieces with me, wasting inventory space b/c I couldn't sell them.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kay wrote: »
    So, White Lions.

Do the lions start off as cubs and grow as you level, like they claimed originally, or do you start with one that looks the same all the way through your career?

Yeah. They start off young; small, lacking a full mane. At higher levels, they look like something straight out of He-Man, minus the green. They're larger, and armored.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, White Lions.

their size doesn't change, but their appearance does.

Angry on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Angry wrote: »
    So, White Lions.

their size doesn't change, but their appearance does.

You sure? The Tier 4 Lions were pretty damn big. It may just of been awhile since I've seen a low level one though.

Iblis on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i was more responding to the cub to adult change. they get bigger, but they don't actually grow.

Angry on
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Two things:

Are there any sort or "stunlocks" or really is stunning/mezzing a major aspect of PvP? I despise having no control over my character so very much, it feels so cheap if it's too prominent.

Also, with masteries, do individual points do anything or is it only the points spent on skills and such that have any affect, like if I max out one line and go as far as I can in another do I just have empty useless points since it's not enough to hit the next skill?

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    On the first question: No. The worst I've had happen to me was being knocked down by an Ironbreaker for an annoyingly long time while his allies focus fire me and such. Knockdowns are the closest things to mezzes, and I think the worst are... five seconds? And afterwards there's an immunity timer.

On the second question: Your skills are divided up into either being core or corresponding to your mastery line. Most of your skills will correspond to your mastery line and get inherent boosts from being specced that way. So in other words, if you go full Brutality as a Marauder but never spend a point on a skill, skills like Convulsive Slashing and Impale will still get a noticeable damage boost due to simply being Brutality skills.

Iblis on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Kwoaru wrote: »

It's me knowing things and never being wrong about anything.

:winky: :winky: :winky:

Unknown User on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Do the opposing realms interact at all outside of RvR combat? In WoW we end up doing the same quests as each other in various zones, and I was wondering whether or not the same thing happens in WAR.

Seg on
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Iblis wrote: »
    On the first question: No. The worst I've had happen to me was being knocked down by an Ironbreaker for an annoyingly long time while his allies focus fire me and such. Knockdowns are the closest things to mezzes, and I think the worst are... five seconds? And afterwards there's an immunity timer.

On the second question: Your skills are divided up into either being core or corresponding to your mastery line. Most of your skills will correspond to your mastery line and get inherent boosts from being specced that way. So in other words, if you go full Brutality as a Marauder but never spend a point on a skill, skills like Convulsive Slashing and Impale will still get a noticeable damage boost due to simply being Brutality skills.

Ah, much more better than what I was thinking. Thank you

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Are there very quick followup cast/rdps shots? I'm thinking about using several longrange dps characters to spike down enemies before they can react/have their healers react, is it doable? I'm figuring something like GW where you had .5 second skill activations at your disposal.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    Do the opposing realms interact at all outside of RvR combat? In WoW we end up doing the same quests as each other in various zones, and I was wondering whether or not the same thing happens in WAR.

There are a good number of places where you cross paths (usually PQs), but for the most part you don't end up in the same areas. Off the top of my head there is a GvD PQ where the Orcs are trying to kill 100 Dwarves in stage 1, and in the same place Dwarves are trying to kill 100 Orcs in stage 1. First side to 100 "wins" the PQ. It's a hotbed for early RvR action. I know the same concept happens later in other pairings.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    PejPej Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What seem to be the least played classes/races in beta so far? I usually lean towards rare and/or underdog characters.

Pej on
    This cave leads to the inhospitable surface of the planet. There is nothing for you to see there.
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Pej wrote: »
    What seem to be the least played classes/races in beta so far? I usually lean towards rare and/or underdog characters.

Magus, witch elf, white lion (at least above level 15 or so) and engineer, I'd say.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    s3rial one wrote: »
    Pej wrote: »

Magus, witch elf, white lion (at least above level 15 or so) and engineer, I'd say.

Nah, engineeers are out there - I'd say Magus, Witch Elf, white Lion, and Marauder.

EDIT: I blame the lack of white lions to the weird pet pathing issues.

Maticore on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Here is a snapshot of the CE server population last week:

Shaman 8.8%
    Squig herder 8.1%
    Black Orc 11.9%

Disciple of Khaine 12.1%
    Sorcerer 15.4%
    Witch elf 9.3%

Chosen 13.3%
    Marauder 7.2%
    Magus 4.9%
    Zealot 8.9%

Destruction total 54.6%

White lion 5.5%
    Archmage 8.2%
    Swordmaster 9.1%
    Shadow warrior 8.2%

Warrior priest 10.3%
    Bright wizard 14.8%
    Witch hunter 8.9%

Ironbreaker 12.0%
    Engineer 9.9%
    Runepriest 13.1%

Order total 45.4%

Unknown User on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Seg wrote: »

There are a good number of places where you cross paths (usually PQs), but for the most part you don't end up in the same areas. Off the top of my head there is a GvD PQ where the Orcs are trying to kill 100 Dwarves in stage 1, and in the same place Dwarves are trying to kill 100 Orcs in stage 1. First side to 100 "wins" the PQ. It's a hotbed for early RvR action. I know the same concept happens later in other pairings.

I went back to look at the OP and didn't notice, what does PQ mean?

Seg on
This discussion has been closed.