As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] FAQ Thread !NDA dropped!

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's kind of a pain in the ass to actually use in practice. There's three steps: seed, water, and fertilizer. The catch is planting a seed starts a timer, and 30 seconds or a minute later you have to water, and then another 30 seconds and you have to fertilize. So you kind of have to babysit your plants if you want them to grow right.

captaink on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    one crafting, one scavenging riemann.

Angry on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Do you only get one crafting skill or can you take multiple per character?

One crafting (apothecary, talisman making) and one gathering (butchery, scavenging, cultivation, and magical scavenging) per character.

captaink on
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    captaink wrote: »
    It's kind of a pain in the ass to actually use in practice. There's three steps: seed, water, and fertilizer. The catch is planting a seed starts a timer, and 30 seconds or a minute later you have to water, and then another 30 seconds and you have to fertilize. So you kind of have to babysit your plants if you want them to grow right.

Yeah. I wouldn't mind that at all if it was actually something worth making, but it's kind of disappointing to put that much care into growing a mushroom only to find I could of bought one for relatively cheap at the merchant.

Personally I think they should upgrade what you get from cultivation and make it a crafting skill. Mainly as you pretty much need scavenging to offset the costs of the materials (since Scavenging, for some reason, produces a bunch of cultivation items).

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I would imagine that made them the melee DPS of choice against tanks, but really any melee DPS is worthless against them.

Pretty much. Tanks at high levels have insane parry and block rates such that MDPS can't really do anything against them except may undefendable attacks. Even then, they'll still get close to max armor mitigation (factoring in armor penetration and armor reducing skills). And that's not factoring in the tank's +armor/toughness/defend rate skills. I imagine Swordmasters could get about a 75% parry rate if they kept using the skill that increases parry rate by 25% for 5 seconds. Black Orcs have a +10% block tactic, a +10% parry/block tactic when on their best plan (or was it 15%?), and a channeled skill (that uses up AP) that increases block rate by 50% and deals 150 damage (at max level) to the enemy every time it blocks. It's probably my favorite skill in the game since if you're being healed, it can do massive damage on the train assist on you, and once they start ignoring you, you just cancel it and start attacking again.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Iblis wrote: »

Yeah. I wouldn't mind that at all if it was actually something worth making, but it's kind of disappointing to put that much care into growing a mushroom only to find I could of bought one for relatively cheap at the merchant.

Personally I think they should upgrade what you get from cultivation and make it a crafting skill. Mainly as you pretty much need scavenging to offset the costs of the materials (since Scavenging, for some reason, produces a bunch of cultivation items).

Yeah scavenging gives you shit like fleas and leeches to make potions out of. Which is really disgusting if you actually imagine it.

captaink on
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Iblis wrote: »

Yeah scavenging gives you shit like fleas and leeches to make potions out of. Which is really disgusting if you actually imagine it.

Health potions at that, yeah :D

All vendor bait, they sell pretty damn well!

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wow, that WARDB.com is awesome. And those spells/play mechanics are sick. Definitely am rolling a Disciple on first play through.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've been anticipating this game on and off for a long time and one of my biggest concerns is as follows: is this game a job or a game?

I hate to bring WoW into this but it's an example that everyone knows about. So, in WoW it was getting to the point where I have to play 30+ hours a week or else I'm left behind because nopbody wants to raid with someone who only plays a hour or two a day. It isnt like TF2 where I can play for a few hours a week and still have an enjoyable experience.

What I'm asking is, how is the casual experience?

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've been anticipating this game on and off for a long time and one of my biggest concerns is as follows: is this game a job or a game?

I hate to bring WoW into this but it's an example that everyone knows about. So, in WoW it was getting to the point where I have to play 30+ hours a week or else I'm left behind because nopbody wants to raid with someone who only plays a hour or two a day. It isnt like TF2 where I can play for a few hours a week and still have an enjoyable experience.

To sum it up?

If you don't log in, your entire guild won't go WHERE THE FUCK IS THAT MARAUDER?

WE CANT RAID IF HE DOESNT LOG IN, WE NEED HIS CC FOR BLABIDY BLAH.

They'll rickroll the bases just fine buddy.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Due to its RvR nature I feel it's more casual. Who knows what will happen with gear progression but since you can literally just log in and head on over to some RvR zone and take place in the ongoing battle, can't get much more casual than that.

It sounds to me (I could be wrong!) like you're talking about the end game and it also sounds like you like keeping up since if not you would find more casual guilds even in WoW (my guild which has been going since beta had a couple guild nights every other week but of course we weren't doing the big stuff and stuck with the -- lacking -- 10-man content).

I only make the assumptions above because, like most games, I'm sure playing more = better gear = better in RvR but we don't know the extent of it yet. Since it's group play oriented though I would guess there's more room for people not up with the top tier of gear unlike playing 2v2 where it makes a big difference. Totally my guess though :)

Hope that helps

Timmer on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Actually that helps a lot, thanks guys.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    TeokiyaTeokiya Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Quick question: is there a language barrier between factions (as per WoW) or does everyone speak the same language?

Teokiya on
    Teokiya wrote:
    (not to mention the smell of that store... PHEW).
    hehehe, that brought back fond memories... my mum used to hate coming into Games Workshop with me when I was a kid for that very reason, too much BO! ;)
    Ladies and gentlemen, the straw.
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I heard there is zero interaction. ie: if they say something, you don't see shit.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    TeokiyaTeokiya Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thanks for the fast answer :)

Teokiya on
    Teokiya wrote:
    (not to mention the smell of that store... PHEW).
    hehehe, that brought back fond memories... my mum used to hate coming into Games Workshop with me when I was a kid for that very reason, too much BO! ;)
    Ladies and gentlemen, the straw.
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i saw some "so and so says something unintelligible" messages.

also, shouldn't the elves be able to understand one other?

Angry on
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, it mentions they say something unintelligable. In fact, had one jack ass spamming something into chat during a keep siege they were losing to disrupt communication by all the "so and so says something unintelligable" messages.

And yeah, the Elves should be able to understand each other. Most races actually should be able to understand each other since there is a "common" language generally known by everyone for convenience sake (though I'm unsure of if the Greenskins would understand said language).

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, I'm still trying to make up my mind between the Chosen and the Black Orc

I'd like to make a pretty solid tank, something that can stand up to mobs and players pretty decently, but not a tank so much so that my DPS is gimped and I'm confined to just being a shield for others.

Essentially I want to create a path of destruction in my wake, all while wearing big armor and 2 handed axes or hammers

Which class is better for this?

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, I'm still trying to make up my mind between the Chosen and the Black Orc

I'd like to make a pretty solid tank, something that can stand up to mobs and players pretty decently, but not a tank so much so that my DPS is gimped and I'm confined to just being a shield for others.

Essentially I want to create a path of destruction in my wake, all while wearing big armor and 2 handed axes or hammers

Which class is better for this?

From what I've heard, both of them.

I say try them both, if you can. But otherwise go with whichever mechanic sounds more interesting: chaining attacks through stages vs. twisting debuff auras.

admanb on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Question: Does closed beta acceptance carry over to open?

s3rial one on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    s3rial one wrote: »
    Question: Does closed beta acceptance carry over to open?

yes I saw that on the beta site when I registered my preorder key.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2008
    Yes, although I really don't think I'm going to play much between now and head start.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    Yes, although I really don't think I'm going to play much between now and head start.

I find the wipes to be extremely tiring. This game gets you attached to characters very quickly.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well I'll be on the west coast from this sunday to the 3rd of september for PAX/other things, and I'd rather not worry about Open Beta so it's really only a few days off :P

Unknown User on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    In the new cinematic trailer, what class is that Dark Elf that turns the enemies into stone?

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ED! wrote: »
    In the new cinematic trailer, what class is that Dark Elf that turns the enemies into stone?
    That's the sorceress. I think it's supposed to be ice. But they don't actually do that.

The Shadow Warrior doesn't dual wield, either. I'm not clear why they put that in.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    BabbleBabble Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Will are characters from Preview Weekend be wiped? Or will they transfer over to open beta?

Babble on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That's the sorceress. I think it's supposed to be ice. But they don't actually do that.

The Shadow Warrior doesn't dual wield, either. I'm not clear why they put that in.

Kewlness

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    waywardryanwaywardryan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    In RvR or pvp in general do npcs play any meaningful part?

waywardryan on
    Lemon - Bright Wizard
    Bijaz - Ironbreaker
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Yeah, it's ice because the BW frees the SW with some kind of fire spell.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well they use dark magic, so it could have unpredictable ice effects. Who knows.

It works for the trailer though.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    the bright wizard that was stabbed in the heart with an arm no less. not sure why they couldn't have just had another bw show up for that.

Angry on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    He's a bloody wizard

maybe he used some magic wizard mojo to heal himself

Or maybe he can just take tons of punishment, you know, because he's a wizard.

Nothing is impossible when there are wizards around

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    LeemoLeemo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    He's a bloody wizard

maybe he used some magic wizard mojo to heal himself

Or maybe he can just take tons of punishment, you know, because he's a wizard.

Nothing is impossible when there are wizards around

They're MAGIC.

Leemo on
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    In RvR or pvp in general do npcs play any meaningful part?

Yes. The keep lord is pretty badass as are your keep NPC defenders - they're very useful to have around even if they are just another speed bump.

Maticore on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Angry wrote: »
    the bright wizard that was stabbed in the heart with an arm no less. not sure why they couldn't have just had another bw show up for that.

There was a healer in the background that nobody paid attention to, or thanked.

Sounds accurate to me.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Chillwind makes perfect sense in Warhammer lore/TT the way it was used in the video, since it is exactly what the name states. When a unit takes casualties with Chillwind they cannot take action during the next shooting phase "due to numbing coldness."

Unknown User on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Not the heart, the middle of his chest. Totally survivable.

Shabooty on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    that's pretty much where the heart is

but he's a wizard

his heart is made out out of fire

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    that's pretty much where the heart is

but he's a wizard

his heart is made out out of fire

No, the heart is on your left.

Not the center.

MuddBudd on
This discussion has been closed.