As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Priest Talk: I've Tested Positive for Shadow

• Options
    poisnedcokepoisnedcoke Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Medopine wrote: »
    Alright why is my dmg so low. Boourns.

Who wants to click the link in my sig and point me in the direction of upgrades attainable outside raiding? (Besides SPellstrike Pants and Girdle of Ruination, I'M WORKING ON IT OK) Also I should probably slot all my gems with +7 or +9ers.

Get the ring from Spirit Shard turn ins (Or scryer ring if you're scryer), as well as the ring from Heroic Tombs. Alternatively the Khorium Ring of Shadows is slightly better than your green ring. Cloak of the Black Void is a crafted cloak with 6 more spell damage, not hard at all to make. Get a green wand of shadow wrath for a good 24 shadow damage, and then follow up on all the other things in this thread:

All spell damage gems
    Heroic trinket
    Heroic off hand
    Quaq's eye
    Exalted LC mace
    Spellstrike pants
    Girdle of Ruination
    Epic spellthread

That should be a pretty good list of upgrades to keep you busy.

And guaco: His gear definitely isn't bad, I'm not trying to snub the guy. I'm just saying it's not an issue of "Holy shit his gear is so great you're not gonna top that until you're in full t4." Though locks and shadow priests can do a hell of a lot more with worse gear than melee classes can do, comparitvely. But a well geared rogue is fucking amazing for damage, of course a shadow priest is as well, but there's so many ways you can build a group to help a rogue, and only 2 other classes you can add to increase shadow priest dps. Of course you shouldn't do that anyways because shadow priests should be in the healer group, but I blabber on....

poisnedcoke on
    I'm trilltastic, trilldacious even!
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Thanks guys! I just need a few more badges to get my trinket. Also going to be slowly accumulating arena points starting this week.

I likes my staff :(. But I suppose I can upgrade and just bring it out for parties. /cry

Medopine on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I'm second on the meters in my guild always, and that's only because swstats counts the hunter pets who do a lot of damage at the moment, and one of our hunters is as well geared as I am.

Currently sitting on 1119 spelldamage, 16.8% hit (I know) with 2x +damage trinkets, and tonight i'll get my spellstrike hood which should knock me to 1140 ish after regem (reason my +hit is just a bit to high now is because I want to regem at once after I get it). After that, only upgrade really left is getting the blessings darkmoon set, but that is so fucking expensive on my server at the moment (100g/card, 1300 for the ace, so yeah).

....? Do you actually think that's a SWS error? Of course a hunter's pet counts towards his total damage output. It's HIS PET.

riz on
  • Options
    emperorsargosaemperorsargosa Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Circle of Healing update:

Specced this for last nights SSC/Kara-wrap-up. We've taken TK off the calendar for a bit while DPS learns to play. I can't say I'm too terribly impressed with Circle of healing.

We tried Lurker again last night, so i thought it'd still be a good place to test CoH with water damage and melee whirls. I noticed nothing seemed to ever wow me (kek). Melee would take a good 2-4 k of damage a piece so my CoH was nearly unnoticeable. I had to spam the hell out of it to slowly tick them back to full health, which could've easily been replaced by a flash heal (or heal) on each person. The mana consumption didn't bother me at all, so I'll give that a bonus, and I really do dig being able to run and heal.

Even with my general disappointment of the talent, I was #2 for the first time on the healing meters (but #3 on overheal). Generally I'm behind the top paladins and the shaman (chain heal, OP), but this fight can quickly turn into an aoe heal pipe dream.

The place I really felt the pain was in Karazhan. I was the only non shadow priest so the raid had no imp spirit. Plus, none of the encounters really ever warranted me using CoH.

I prefer my improved spirit, but would suggest priests give it a try. I can see if you'd like it, especially if you wanna top healing charts. I think I'd rather stay #3/#4 while being last on overheal, its more fun that way :)

Anyway, hope this helps someone out or provides a good read!

emperorsargosa on
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    korodullin wrote: »
    exis wrote: »
    So, the Arena season 2 headpiece for Priests clips through everybody's hair. Now I'm not enthused for it at all. :(

Yeah, the most retarded thing about it is that it should just be a recolour. Yet the real T5 doesn't clip at all.

I wonder if it'll take them four months to fix it like they did with the season 1 headpiece.

Maybe it'll be like surge of light... They can start broken, fix it, and have it break again.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ok, at level 45 with the AB rewards, some wsg rewards and a few other items I can have my shadow priest healing up to 139. Is that a bit low at that level or is it something I should be worried about when in heal mode?

Seg on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Seg wrote: »
    Ok, at level 45 with the AB rewards, some wsg rewards and a few other items I can have my shadow priest healing up to 139. Is that a bit low at that level or is it something I should be worried about when in heal mode?

You've never actually NEEDED +heal until you start raiding. And ubrs doesn't count as a raid (Pre-nerf maybe, but I wasn't around then). I was shadow spec and healed all my scholo and strats (Once again, post nerf) with all of 0 +healing. Trust me, it's no big deal.

poisnedcoke on
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Seg wrote: »

You've never actually NEEDED +heal until you start raiding. And ubrs doesn't count as a raid (Pre-nerf maybe, but I wasn't around then). I was shadow spec and healed all my scholo and strats (Once again, post nerf) with all of 0 +healing. Trust me, it's no big deal.

It's true, I think the only healing or dmg/healing stuff I had in the 40's was the staff from ZF and shoulders (or gloves, I don't remember) out of Mara. The only extra gear I held onto for healing was gear with a lot of int, as I tended to go oom fairly quickly while still shadow spec'd.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh to add to that: I meant pre-TBC. Past Ramparts you should have some decent healing gear on deck to heal, you don't have to be holy specced to do most instances, but you do need a good amount of +Heal. And, as stated above, lots of int/mana per 5.

poisnedcoke on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Magicawe wrote: »
    They wouldn't make a fucking talent that decreased your DPS.
    You know.. I really wouldn't put it past Blizzard.

JAEF on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    In before someone mentions the old "surprise attacks" talent for rogues that had no damage bonus.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh to add to that: I meant pre-TBC. Past Ramparts you should have some decent healing gear on deck to heal, you don't have to be holy specced to do most instances, but you do need a good amount of +Heal. And, as stated above, lots of int/mana per 5.

Ramparts is pretty damned tough to heal in greens at 60. If your tank doesn't have some sort of abnormally high hps or FR gear, then you're toast if you're still sporting whale gear.

I dinged 60 right before TBC came out so was wearing only Scholo/Strat blues when venturing into outlands. As shadow I couldn't heal Ramparts without an OH and Slave Pens was a disaster. TBC steps it up a notch for noob priests, so suggesting you can heal just fine as shadow with whale gear is impressive.

If you really wanna heal in outlands from 60-70, spec disc/holy

emperorsargosa on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You know, the final boss of normal Ramparts always baffled me. It's a level 60 instance that's just fine and dandy on damage up until Vazruden/Nazan, and then the enormous spike in damage makes both tanking and healing it as a fresh 60 without a lot of healing gear an enormous pain.

Then you get to Heroic Ramparts where Omorr is the one that's irritating, and Vaz/Nazan are punching bags. Who don't drop Badges of Justice. :x

And Emperor: It's very possible to heal Outland 5-mans fine and dandy as full Shadow. I did it with my Priest while leveling, but I did so with my ultimate goal being a raid healer in the end. You have to pick and choose what gear you want to use solo, and what to get for healing. I personally looted all the cloth healing gear in instances and left the damage stuff for quest rewards. That worked out well for me, especially since there aren't many quest rewards with +healing. As people have said before, Shadow priests can do well even with mediocre gear, so the blue/green quest rewards from 60-70 worked just fine for soloing and the few times I 5-manned as Shadow.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Or don't play with retards. :P

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, I'm inclined to believe that was done on purpose (in normal). You had all these T2/T3 people venturing into Outlands that wanted some new content. If everything was geared for greenbees then they could renew/autoattack their way to the exit.

I just remember venturing into Ramparts the first time after being told by my T2.5 friend "oh yeah, its easy. you can heal your way through it easily" and then 3 hours later (yarly) telling the 5k hp tank there's no way in hell we'd make it through this instance.

Ah the good ole days... of like 4 months ago.

emperorsargosa on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Medopine wrote: »
    Or don't play with retards. :P

Hey, playing with retards is an excellent way to improve skill, test your patience, or blow your fucking brains out.

emperorsargosa on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Ramparts is pretty damned tough to heal in greens at 60. If your tank doesn't have some sort of abnormally high hps or FR gear, then you're toast if you're still sporting whale gear.

I dinged 60 right before TBC came out so was wearing only Scholo/Strat blues when venturing into outlands. As shadow I couldn't heal Ramparts without an OH and Slave Pens was a disaster. TBC steps it up a notch for noob priests, so suggesting you can heal just fine as shadow with whale gear is impressive.

There's some cloth healing rewards in hfp, if you pick up that gear before ramparts should be okay for you. Now I say this as someone who never healed ramparts in newbie gear (I didn't have a single peice of t2, but I had a good amount of healing) so don't take my word as law. I'm just saying, from what people who have done it have told me: That's the last place where you aren't required to have a good amount of +heal.

poisnedcoke on
  • Options
    BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I healed up until TK and heroics as shadow.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »
    In before someone mentions the old "surprise attacks" talent for rogues that had no damage bonus.

That was only really a DPS loss for combat dagger builds. But still awesomely pathetic for a 41 point talent.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Bikkstah wrote: »

I'm sure you did.

emperorsargosa on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I'm sure you did.

As did I. If you don't believe me, feel free to log on Whisperwind and ask several of the people I leveled and instanced with. I'll even provide a few names if you so wish.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Coconut MonkeyCoconut Monkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yep, healed 60-70 as shadow too. I still heal the odd level 70 normal instance.

Coconut Monkey on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yep, healed 60-70 as shadow too. I still heal the odd level 70 normal instance.

Same.

All it takes is really good gear, and a really good group. You're probably not gonna be able to do it with a tank in all greens who doesn't know how to use shield block, but with a good guild group it's very possible.

poisnedcoke on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I'm sure you did.

As did I. If you don't believe me, feel free to log on Whisperwind and ask several of the people I leveled and instanced with. I'll even provide a few names if you so wish.

I've main healed a couple of heroics as protection paladin. I would assume a geared shadow priest could do it too.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Thomamelas wrote: »

I'm sure you did.

I've main healed a couple of heroics as protection paladin. I would assume a geared shadow priest could do it too.

That's why I busted my hump to get a good healing set as I was leveling 60-70. It was so worth it.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ok check me out now! 937!

Got new pants and a new wand, got the badge trinket, got a belt upgrade, put the green +7 gems in. (Too expensive to buy up all the +9 gems so I'm slowly going to leech them off my JC friends). I also made shadowcloth for the first time in a while. God damn I hate farming fire motes.

Medopine on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sorry I have to do this but a) I'm very proud of my current gear and b) It's pretty much a list of "what gear is best is best for my shadowpriest" so here goes:

1187 shadowdamage unbuffed

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I got two piece T5 last night.

The 100 mana on gheal is pretty nice for MT healing. Doesn't hurt as bad to let a heal go through even if someone else tops off the tank a split second before you do, because you still get the mana.

As long as I do nothing but cast gheal, it seems to work out to an additional 80 mp5 or so since not every heal tops him off.

xzzy on
  • Options
    eric.eric. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    How much +Damage should I be aiming for pre-Heroic instances?

eric. on
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Depends if you're a tailor or not (you should be).

Around 850 is a pretty decent pre-raid amount.

Gork on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I am not. :(

I should probably go level it.

eric. on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Eh, go pvp and your damage up that way. It's more fun and doesn't require the investment of a couple thousand gold just to get a few items that will be replaced in a couple months. I'm not contesting that the tailoring stuff is the "best" if you're going for pure +damage, I just think you can get most of the effect in other ways without selling your soul to a tradeskill.

I never got the mooncloth stuff, and these days am just as efficient a healer as the priests who wore themselves out trying to make it.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Really? Should I go for the PvP stuff? I'm already farming for the bracers. Like, how much does it really take to get the gear you' speak of. I suspect you are speaking of the blue 70 Grand Marshal gear?

eric. on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I can't really cite specifics, but yeah, the set armors, the epic boots, and if you get into a team, the arena armor set.

It won't be as good as the tailored stuff, but I'm not much of a fan of the min/max mindset, and am happy with "good enough". I just don't think the tailored stuff is so jaw-dropping dominant that you have to drop existing tradeskills you've already spent a lot of time on. If someone tried to convince me to drop my 375 engineering because I needed mooncloth to raid with them.. I would have told them to go to hell.

Additionally, if you can get into karazhan raids, your +damage will go up very fast.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    If I wasn't already a 300 tailor when TBC came out, I'd have probably stuck with whatever other tradeskill I would have had at the time.

While my Primal Mooncloth set is very very good, and I really enjoy having it, it's really depressing seeing something that was fairly unique (I was one of the first dozen or so Whisperwinders to finish off the set) on every single Priest.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    If I wasn't already a 300 tailor when TBC came out, I'd have probably stuck with whatever other tradeskill I would have had at the time.

While my Primal Mooncloth set is very very good, and I really enjoy having it, it's really depressing seeing something that was fairly unique (I was one of the first dozen or so Whisperwinders to finish off the set) on every single Priest.

It's not on me! I'm pretty much a walking showroom of Karazhan loot.

Though it's started to get eaten away by SSC/TK drops.

xzzy on
  • Options
    stormcstormc Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    karazhan raid alone will get you to somewhat 800- 900 spell dam.

stormc on
    Too big sig. 500x80 plzkthx.
    <3, Echo
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I dropped 300 enchanting (and I was one of the few enchanters hordeside on my server with some pretty good AQ40 enchants - I would still be making a killing off of 15 Agi to gloves had I kept it) for tailoring when I levelled my priest. Not really a huge loss personally, since we now have 3-4 enchanters in the guild canvassing most of the available patterns, and I didn't really want to go through the grind of finding/buying/grinding faction for all the good enchanting stuff.

As for looking the same as everyone else, meh. On ED, surprisingly few people are wearing it, which is probably due to the horrendously low rate of progression more than anything. Personally, I've come to really despise the way my character looks in it, but not because I look like everyone else. It's just boring. I tend to wear my PvP set (arena one shoulders and robe) whenever I'm around town. I really can't wait to get Tier 5, that stuff is going to look fantastic on me.

exis on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I agree, but the good thing about being (the only) PM priest in the guild is that I now comfortably sit near the top in DKP for whenever we get our ass in gear and start dropping T5 bosses :)

(actually, we use a pretty stupid loot system so i'd only be guaranteed a single T5 then I'd drop to the bottom of the list, but I'd imagine this might benefit some people...)

emperorsargosa on
  • Options
    OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Suicide Kings eh? Personally, it's my favorite looting system, but I can understand why some people don't like it.

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.