As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Priest Talk: I've Tested Positive for Shadow

• SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    eric. wrote: »
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Ner%27zhul&n=Rikk

So I've recently decided to run arena with my friends, and it was a good slap in the face as to how important stamina and resilience are. I was dropped in like 10 seconds. I realize my hp is very low currently, but I rarely get hurt in Karazhan or Gruul's Lair, so I guess it's not so necessary for me.

What I'm trying to do is get soem PvP gear without having to go through BGs and what not. is there a definitive list out there or a guide showing what to spec for, or what to tailor to when arena-healing as a priest? It seems like a lot of fun and I'd like to try it.

PvP in general can be a decent kick to the crotch if you've never been a healing Priest in PvP before. You are the tank. You cannot run, you cannot hide, you just have to take all the damage coming at you for long enough that your team can kill the opponents's healer, thus giving your team the upper hand even if you die immediately thereafter, which you often will, depending on your team. This downside is far more pronounced in arena than in battlegrounds due to the lack of a non-player objective in the former.

Blessed Resillience is critical. You would have a very difficult time being a good healing Priest in PvP without it. The game is still so focused on the godawful pseudo-strategy of burst damage that you need to be able to negate those crits. Martyrdom is also very important, because it will be up almost constantly due to the stream of crits you'll suffer, even with Blessed Resillience. Improved Mana Burn and Absolution are great talents too, since Mana Burn and Dispel are fantastic support tools (mostly the latter, though, since most healers nowadays have too much mana to effectively burn through in the limited spare time you have during combat). Basically, what I'm saying is that, for Priests, talents are much more important than gear, so you should consider respeccing before pursuing gear.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Saeris wrote: »

So I've recently decided to run arena with my friends, and it was a good slap in the face as to how important stamina and resilience are. I was dropped in like 10 seconds. I realize my hp is very low currently, but I rarely get hurt in Karazhan or Gruul's Lair, so I guess it's not so necessary for me.

What I'm trying to do is get soem PvP gear without having to go through BGs and what not. is there a definitive list out there or a guide showing what to spec for, or what to tailor to when arena-healing as a priest? It seems like a lot of fun and I'd like to try it.

PvP in general can be a decent kick to the crotch if you've never been a healing Priest in PvP before. You are the tank. You cannot run, you cannot hide, you just have to take all the damage coming at you for long enough that your team can kill the opponents's healer, thus giving your team the upper hand even if you die immediately thereafter, which you often will, depending on your team. This downside is far more pronounced in arena than in battlegrounds due to the lack of a non-player objective in the former.

Kiting is a very reasonable, and often necessary tactic. Sitting there healing yourself through an MS warrior + whatever is an exercise in futility. Even if the warrior can't get through your healing, you'll run out of mana.

exis on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The other trick to priests is gear and your FSR rate. We'll introduce these later in the 200 level course of PriestHealing 101 and 201:P

I actually prefer spirit, but Blizzard's drug taking potpourri results in some very random itemization and it's not really something you can realistically accomplish, unless you want to stay in Karazhan gear your whole life.

Clever abuse of an eye of gruul and power infusion can give you a huge amount of time outside the FSR, and getting level 70 mage water levels of mana back is much better than raw mp5.

xzzy on
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    exis wrote: »
    dubble poast, but this is worth it's own, I think.

Lootzor.com. Check it out. You plug in weightings for stats and it'll give you lists of gear. Absolutely awesome.

New site.... like crack... can't stop playing with it.... Grrrr

CURSE YOU!
    The other trick to priests is gear and your FSR rate. We'll introduce these later in the 200 level course of PriestHealing 101 and 201:P

Ooh, ohh, like the Inner Focus'd free heal after the Clearcast free heal trick! ;)

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ughugh... I tried like 4 alts/rerolls and just ended up back at my level 54 priest. I'm actually happy about this ebcause it means I might actually hit 70.

but I'm trying to avoid what led me to trying an alt in the first place... really slow 50s leveling. I know it's not class specific but, any advice? I'm leveling shadow, and while I'm not anti-instancing for exp I rarely play at good hours for such things.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • eric.eric. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    ughugh... I tried like 4 alts/rerolls and just ended up back at my level 54 priest. I'm actually happy about this ebcause it means I might actually hit 70.

but I'm trying to avoid what led me to trying an alt in the first place... really slow 50s leveling. I know it's not class specific but, any advice? I'm leveling shadow, and while I'm not anti-instancing for exp I rarely play at good hours for such things.

I really thought the 50s were the absolute slowest levelling grind. I did virtually every quest in the plaguelands and Winterspring, and I had to grind levels 57-58. But by 58 you can pretty much go to Hellfire Peninsula in the Outland, and thats when the exp and quests really pick the fuck up.

Yeah, my armory must have saved when I was in my lolsmite gear. I have about 1750+healing unbuffed and like 7k hp, or something.

eric. on
  • formatformat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have a plan to get through the 50s, general progression goes

blasted lands > (class quest and ST at 51) > Searing Gorge > Un'goro > Feralas > Winterspring > Burning Steppes >WPL

you should be level 58 by now but if not, EPL/Silithus will top you off.

I have yet to try it out but i may do burning steppes earlier, or later, or not at all. dunno. YMMV.

edit: 50s seem a lot easier than around the 42-48 mark, where god knows how many of my characters 'died'.

edit 2: what i use when i get stuck,
    http://www.wow-pro.com/node/599 (alliance)
    http://www.wow-pro.com/node/754 (horde)

format on
    You don't know if I am joking or not.
    edited August 2007
    I think it's different for horde and alliance. Horde has a shortage of quests in the mid 40's, then it picks back up. Alliance seems to have a big dry run in the early 50's.

I've never had problems getting to 60, but I've done it far more for horde.

xzzy on
    edited August 2007

Kiting is a very reasonable, and often necessary tactic. Sitting there healing yourself through an MS warrior + whatever is an exercise in futility. Even if the warrior can't get through your healing, you'll run out of mana.

Kiting isn't reasonable at all unless you have a pocket Paladin to use BoF on you over and over. Even a shitty Warrior will keep Hamstring up at all times and break every fear. Rogues are kitable if you can get a fear in before Crippling Poison procs, or you have a Druid that knows what Abolish Poison is, but really, is there any fight that doesn't involve a Warrior of some variety immediately sticking himself to you and never going away? If so, I envy you, because I always have one on me.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
    edited August 2007

Kiting isn't reasonable at all unless you have a pocket Paladin to use BoF on you over and over. Even a shitty Warrior will keep Hamstring up at all times and break every fear. Rogues are kitable if you can get a fear in before Crippling Poison procs, or you have a Druid that knows what Abolish Poison is, but really, is there any fight that doesn't involve a Warrior of some variety immediately sticking himself to you and never going away? If so, I envy you, because I always have one on me.
    Warriors aren't constantly spamming hamstring. Yeah, they can use it a lot, but they're on GCD often enough that it's not reasonable to just sit there mashing it. So, after you get intercepted (because your team mates have put them in combat before they can charge), hamstrung you once, MS'd you (sometimes they'll hit hamstring a couple times so it's not really safe to break it instantly) or whatever it is they do, run through them and trinket. Unless they have incredibly fast reactions, and will turn, run after you and hamstring before you're out of melee (I don't think I've had this happen ever), you just got yourself away from them until intercept is off cooldown.

It's made easier by having a snare on them. I 2v2 with a warlock so she'll put a CoX up to give me that little bit of extra space. Handy, but not necessary to pull it off.

EDIT: Obviously, this relies heavily on a PvP trinket, so it's not like you'll be away from them forever. But you're effectively taking their big advantage out of the game for 10 seconds. Which is a reaaaaally long time.

exis on
    edited August 2007
    Generally, in the time it takes for me to run through them while moving at the slowed pace that Hamstring enforces, they've already turned. On the off chance that I do get through and use my trinket, I won't be far enough out of melee range to avoid another Hamstring, either due to my lag (I play at around 200ms ping) or their lag (getting hit in melee from 15 yards away is not uncommon for me). My point is that although kiting is possible, it's not reasonable. Server lag, player lag, and the spammable, non-dispellable nature of Hamstring make it nigh-impossible in many situations.

I have no idea what the Warriors on your battlegroup are like, but the ones I encounter are "constantly spamming Hamstring". Because of this and Mortal Strike spam, though, they usually can't get away from the GCD fast enough to Pummel my heals. So I guess that's a decent trade-off, even though kiting them, on the rare occasion that it's practical, is certainly more mana efficient.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
    edited August 2007
    Generally, in the time it takes for me to run through them while moving at the slowed pace that Hamstring enforces, they've already turned. On the off chance that I do get through and use my trinket, I won't be far enough out of melee range to avoid another Hamstring, either due to my lag (I play at around 200ms ping) or their lag (getting hit in melee from 15 yards away is not uncommon for me). My point is that although kiting is possible, it's not reasonable. Server lag, player lag, and the spammable, non-dispellable nature of Hamstring make it nigh-impossible in many situations.

I have no idea what the Warriors on your battlegroup are like, but the ones I encounter are "constantly spamming Hamstring". Because of this and Mortal Strike spam, though, they usually can't get away from the GCD fast enough to Pummel my heals. So I guess that's a decent trade-off, even though kiting them, on the rare occasion that it's practical, is certainly more mana efficient.

I don't understand. If they're using anything but hamstring, they're not constantly spamming hamstring. Do warriors on your battlegroup not use MS? Whirlwind? Execute? From the warriors I've spoken to (and the warriors I've encountered), they'll do a couple of hamstrings to make sure it's on, then start actually killing you.

The running through thing was just one example of getting distance, it doesn't necessarily need to be managed that way. I'll usually let them land MS, trinket and run straight through them. If they're snared/stunned/incapacitated at all, I'll run directly away from them since they won't land a hamstring before I'm out of melee anyway. It helps that I arena with warlocks, so there'll be a CoX on them. Who do you arena with that doesn't have some way of slowing the warrior down for half a second?

I also play with a high ping (300ms is the best I'll see, usually floats closer to 400ms), maybe that helps me more than anything. But this is a pretty normal tactic to use vs warriors. It was suggested to me by someone who arenas with a priest and ran 3 2200+ rated teams last season, so I figure it works for more than just me.

exis on
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    <QQ>
    Arrgh... Arenas. making. head. asplode.

2v2 - I run with an MS Warrior
    3v3 - I run with a spriest/lock when I can find them both online at the same time I am
    5v5 - Was casual... currently not active

So my only consistant points team is the 2v2... I may finish up my set sometime before 2.3 and WotLK, yay.

Just can't break the 1700-1800 range. Last week we're at 1800, 9 *different* pally/warrior teams in a row. Yay, down to 1650. We managed to claw our way back up to mid-1700's last night, but hit the pally/warrior wall again. Sigh. At least my partner lets me mock them to death when he can manage to kill off their DPS.

And yay for losing 1-2% melee damage mitigation off our S2 gear in exchange for enough Int to cast 2/3 of a renew. That was a super move. WTB armor that's not dispellable.
    </QQ>

@ Night Elf priests - In more positive news, Elune's (Dis)grace is the only way I've found to consistantly get a fear off vs a Warrior. Protip: Pop rank 1, giving you an additional 10% dodge, fear him when he goes into battle stance to squish you with overpower. If you managed to get an initial fear off (and have him blow his trinket) before he went into Zerker stance this one might last long enough for a flash heal, woo! This may be old news, but hey... Yay for NE priest racials going from 2/10 to 3/10 in terms of usefulness in the Arena.

Edit: I have to agree, one trinket vs Hamstring + Intercept isn't enough to effectively kite.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
    edited August 2007

I don't understand. If they're using anything but hamstring, they're not constantly spamming hamstring. Do warriors on your battlegroup not use MS? Whirlwind? Execute? From the warriors I've spoken to (and the warriors I've encountered), they'll do a couple of hamstrings to make sure it's on, then start actually killing you.

When Hamstring is every second attack, I count that as spamming it. The GCD they incur from the other ability is rarely enough time to use my trinket and get out of melee range before they can Hamstring again. It's annoying as all hell, but it's easy enough to handle it by casting Mind Control and forcing them to either kill their healer or leap to their doom. If they Pummel the Mind Control, which almost always happens, then I'm free to heal myself. It works well.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, someone noticed a change to Pain Supression on the WotLK clients running at Leipzig.

1 minute cooldown and castable on friends within a 20 yard range.

Castable on friends is nice for BGs, but in arenas priests are always the first FF target. Reduced cooldown is nice, though.

Gork on
  • poisnedcokepoisnedcoke Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gork wrote: »
    but in arenas priests are always the first FF target. Reduced cooldown is nice, though.

At what point bracket are you basing this on?

poisnedcoke on
    I'm trilltastic, trilldacious even!
  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    So, someone noticed a change to Pain Supression on the WotLK clients running at Leipzig.

Castable on friends is nice for BGs, but in arenas priests are always the first FF target. Reduced cooldown is nice, though.

that is going to get nerfed so hard

because it is overpowered as shit for pve

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    1014 dmg Ritssyn's Lost Pendant WHHEEEE

Medopine on
    edited August 2007
    Little Jim wrote: »

that is going to get nerfed so hard

because it is overpowered as shit for pve

I don't know about that, a 41 point disc priest pretty much shoots his healing in the head and the disc tree doesn't really give you anything to compensate. I can't envision raids bringing more priests for it.. not when paladin and tree healing is so effective.

xzzy on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    so, what, downranking not worth it?

tyrannus on
    edited August 2007
    Depends on the heal.

But for anything but Gheal, probably not.

Medopine on
    edited August 2007
    I have a down ranked flash heal key that I use on easier trash pulls, but we raid with lots of paladins so if I were to use max rank my overheal would skyrocket.

xzzy on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Medopine wrote: »

I had to wait a fair while to get mine.... but now i'm done with loot, on all the bosses we can kill, i have the best we can get, pretty much (except arena weapon, but i hate arena with a passion, i'm always the first to get zerged, half my DPS is dispellable for 1/3rd the mana and 1/2 the time it takes for me to apply).

Check it out though:
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Moonglade&n=Dorlog

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    edited August 2007
    xzzy wrote: »
    I have a down ranked flash heal key that I use on easier trash pulls, but we raid with lots of paladins so if I were to use max rank my overheal would skyrocket.

I max rank Flash Heal on most trash. Mana efficiency isn't an issue when I can just drink after each pull. If it was, I wouldn't be using FH anyway.

exis on
    edited August 2007
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Medopine wrote: »

I had to wait a fair while to get mine.... but now i'm done with loot, on all the bosses we can kill, i have the best we can get, pretty much (except arena weapon, but i hate arena with a passion, i'm always the first to get zerged, half my DPS is dispellable for 1/3rd the mana and 1/2 the time it takes for me to apply).

Check it out though:
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Moonglade&n=Dorlog

QUIET FEARWARD BOT

I really need a new cape and would love to upgrade gloves/belt (I'm on a break from farming the mats for that one crafted belt thinger). And would love stupid Quagg's Eye.

Also need like 15 more badges for the Orb.

Medopine on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was wanting to add, it's not that great. Being well geared, a capable raider and a good enough raid leader is not so great when you are pretty much only raiding to get to the bosses that can get actually get you stuff. I'm tired of gearing up others, it makes you a lot more irritatable about others underperforming.

SanderJK on
    edited August 2007
    Oh I don't care about that stuff, I raid for fun and I just like to see my char progress in gear when it happens. I'm in no rush.

Medopine on
  • poisnedcokepoisnedcoke Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was wanting to add, it's not that great. Being well geared, a capable raider and a good enough raid leader is not so great when you are pretty much only raiding to get to the bosses that can get actually get you stuff. I'm tired of gearing up others, it makes you a lot more irritatable about others underperforming.

I'm the best geared shadow priest on the server (Yay craftables) and have been raiding with my guild since the start of the expansion. My guild has always been casual and what not. Now we're still doing karazhan. We've not downed mag, we've done a single successful 25 man raid in the past month (Who doesn't love gruul?). And I'm stuck as the raid leader, and only shadow priest. I love my guild, I love the people in it. But having no one on to play with when I sign on to start raids is getting frustrated. Combine that with the number of invites I've gotten to other guilds and I'm starting to get really conflicted.

poisnedcoke on
    I'm trilltastic, trilldacious even!
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Alright Priests. I think I'm going to accept an invite from one of the top Horde guilds on Durotan. I'm shadow.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Durotan&n=Grimhand

I'm looking for spots to improve my gear a bit. I know the trinket needs to go. I'm thinking about either picking up the one from Arcatraz, or Botanica. I'm thinking of getting a Spellstrike hood. Any other suggestions?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited August 2007
    Alright Priests. I think I'm going to accept an invite from one of the top Horde guilds on Durotan. I'm shadow.

I'm looking for spots to improve my gear a bit. I know the trinket needs to go. I'm thinking about either picking up the one from Arcatraz, or Botanica. I'm thinking of getting a Spellstrike hood. Any other suggestions?

Do heroic slave pens for this trinket. Get the heroic badge offhand and trinket and rep up with Lower City for this mace. (All your best weapon options in future are going to be MH + OH anyway, so you really want to get that badge OH even if you won't use it just yet). And yeah, if I were you I'd probably go for Spellstrike Hood.

exis on
    edited August 2007

Do heroic slave pens for this trinket. Get the heroic badge offhand and trinket and rep up with Lower City for this mace. (All your best weapon options in future are going to be MH + OH anyway, so you really want to get that badge OH even if you won't use it just yet). And yeah, if I were you I'd probably go for Spellstrike Hood.

The blessings trinket is a great, great investment. It'll cost ya a pretty penny, but i figure it lasts till black temple. I agree with the heroic trinket too.

Get your enchants in order too. You are missing spelldamage on gloves, spelldamage on weapon, aldor/scryer on shoulder, head enchant, you only have the cheapo legs enchant, spell penetration or subtlety on cloak is better then armor. Spelldamage on bracers is probably last, but in the end, for a shadowpriest, shadowdamage is everything.

SanderJK on
    edited August 2007

The blessings trinket is a great, great investment. It'll cost ya a pretty penny, but i figure it lasts till black temple. I agree with the heroic trinket too.

Get your enchants in order too. You are missing spelldamage on gloves, spelldamage on weapon, aldor/scryer on shoulder, head enchant, you only have the cheapo legs enchant, spell penetration or subtlety on cloak is better then armor. Spelldamage on bracers is probably last, but in the end, for a shadowpriest, shadowdamage is everything.

Oh Lord. I forgot that I had armor on there. Yeah, that was entirely for a guildie to level up enchanting. This character has been an alt of mine for some time.

EDIT: Also, what am I going to need by way of spell hit? Is it 8% for level 73 mobs? Is Shadow Focus going to help me out at all in this area?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited August 2007
    16% is the maximum you can get, and you get 10% from talents, so you are looking for 6%, or 74 rating.

SanderJK on
  • whuppinswhuppins Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hey, priests. I hadn't healed anything since I re-specced to shadow for TBC, until the other day. A lot has changed and I heard that it's OK to PW:S the tank because it no longer keeps him from generating rage since he's not taking damage. Is this true? Is there any reason (mana efficiency issues aside) that I shouldn't be shielding the tank?

Edit: Specifically, what does it do to our respective threat levels?

whuppins on
    edited August 2007
    whuppins wrote: »
    Hey, priests. I hadn't healed anything since I re-specced to shadow for TBC, until the other day. A lot has changed and I heard that it's OK to PW:S the tank because it no longer keeps him from generating rage since he's not taking damage. Is this true? Is there any reason (mana efficiency issues aside) that I shouldn't be shielding the tank?

I may not know priest stuff extremely well, but I do know tank stuff. Nothing has changed about PW: S. You still won't generate rage from being hit while a shield is up. You aren't being hit afterall. :)

EDIT: Sorry meant Rage. Wrote this late last night.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • whuppinswhuppins Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What about rage? (Edit: AFAIK, being hit doesn't generate threat for the tank -- only hitting the mobs)

whuppins on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I may not know priest stuff extremely well, but I do know tank stuff. Nothing has changed about PW: S. You still won't generate threat from being hit while a shield is up. You aren't being hit afterall. :)

Note that this only holds true for Warrior/Druid tanks. Paladin tanks will gladly take PW:S. :lol:

Thomamelas on
    edited August 2007

I may not know priest stuff extremely well, but I do know tank stuff. Nothing has changed about PW: S. You still won't generate threat from being hit while a shield is up. You aren't being hit afterall. :)

Not like it matters since most mobs will blow through the shield and still do 3k damage these days. The spell is so worthless it's not even worth having a hotkey for. Only possible use is in pvp, and even then it's nothing more than a poor man's prayer of mending. That costs double the mana. And has a longer cooldown.

xzzy on
  • MittenMitten Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've always wondered why people say that about pallies. Generating rage from being hit seems effectively the same as generating mana from being hit and then healed. Either way PW:S is depriving them of energy, right?

I hardly cast the spell anymore so I never really bothered to look into it.

Mitten on
    edited August 2007
    Well yeah, but a paladin can start the fight with a full "rage" bar, unlike a warrior. Most people whine about PW:S when pulling because it hurts the warrior's ability to pick up agro.

xzzy on
This discussion has been closed.