As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Processor upgrading (laptop)

l0rcal0rca Registered User regular
Hey dudes, I've a new HP laptop, but got a little impulsive when it came to buying; I should have invested in a larger processor. Everything else is good with me--4GB RAM, nice video card--but I need something better than 2GHz.

Do any of you know the sort of options I have here, considering it's a laptop? If it's doable, I'm also not sure of what kind of steps to take, like compatibility, drivers, how to open the laptop (I vaguely remember something about "laptop keys"). Any help?

l0rca on

• Options
    Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Options? Return it and get another one. Unless you want to go through the VERY time consuming process of getting a replacement CPU that's superior, and then actually putting it INTO the laptop. That'll mean removing and re-attaching the joint-heatsink which covers your CPU, Chipset, AND VGA units.

Meh.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Why exactly do you need a faster-than-2GHz processor? Your video card is probably bottlenecking it anyhow.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    2GHz can vary massively on what kind of processor it is, is it a Pentium 4 at 2GHz or a Core 2 Duo at 2GHz?

See my point?

What is the laptop?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, 2GHz should be fine if you got yourself a Core 2 Duo. Please tell us what you got.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i took apart an old laptop (circa 1994) yesterday.

it was fun and not too hard really. i did break a wire that i had to sodder back on though :(

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    l0rca wrote: »
    Hey dudes, I've a new HP laptop, but got a little impulsive when it came to buying; I should have invested in a larger processor. Everything else is good with me--4GB RAM, nice video card--but I need something better than 2GHz.

Do any of you know the sort of options I have here, considering it's a laptop? If it's doable, I'm also not sure of what kind of steps to take, like compatibility, drivers, how to open the laptop (I vaguely remember something about "laptop keys"). Any help?

This may sound obvious, but read the manual, it should detail your upgrade paths in there.

Rook on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    l0rca wrote: »

This may sound obvious, but read the manual, it should detail your upgrade paths in there.

Yep, service manual.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Depending on the laptop, it may be a desktop processor. My X6000 used a 3.6ghz LGA775 desktop chip, which is now humming along inside a Shuttle KPC when the laptop's video card died.

1ddqd on