Options

Psychiatry, drugs, science, me, and Scientology, too.

124»

• Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Page- wrote: »
    Well, that's it then. I just got an email from my boss saying it's over. Can't say I'm surprised, but I am disappointed, and now I've got a huge problem. :/

Um. You can sue him for that.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, that's it then. I just got an email from my boss saying it's over. Can't say I'm surprised, but I am disappointed, and now I've got a huge problem. :/

Um. You can sue him for that.

Well, it's supposedly not just because I was saying things he disagrees with. He brings up some work stuff, but it's nothing he decided to complain about ever before. It's pretty obvious to me that he's making excuses. He brings up some other things that are just false, and he even took a shot at my father, who was a Scientologist and died of cancer a few years ago: "I hope you decide to do something about your life as I'm sure your father would have wanted as much. As he spent his entire life trying to make the world a better place by being on staff and a Scientologist." And I'm pretty godamn mad about that.

Actually, I'm really angry right now and I didn't think I would be.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, call the fucking ACLU.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, call the fucking ACLU.

Or you can just be bitter and disillusioned with the rest of us.
    Come on, it'll be fun!

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm in Canada, though.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    No, seriously, talk to a lawyer. If you think you can make a decent case that you were fired solely because you were discussing the problems with scientology with your scientologist boss, you can fuck their shit up.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    skyybahamutskyybahamut Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You were fired because you and your boss disagree about Scientology. Get a Lawyer. Get a Lawyer. Get a Lawyer.

(Said 3 times for Beetleguise effect)

skyybahamut on
    This signature is for SCIENCE!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    At this point I've been considering just that. I really didn't want to, but I didn't think my boss would pull this shit on me. I mean, who fires somebody with a bullshit email in the middle of the night 4 days after the fact? What the hell is that?

And this is coming at me at the same time as my mom telling me I basically have to get back on course at the org or gtfo.

This has not been the best day/week of my life.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    At this point I've been considering just that. I really didn't want to, but I didn't think my boss would pull this shit on me. I mean, who fires somebody with a bullshit email in the middle of the night 4 days after the fact? What the hell is that?

And this is coming at me at the same time as my mom telling me I basically have to get back on course at the org or gtfo.

Ok, so fucking run and then talk to several lawyers all at once under the supervision and care of the Canadian protective services. If you can do it, you might want to take the opportunity to get out. They don't offer that very often.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Paxil is fucking evil.

Paxil very nearly made me kill myself, and it probably prolonged my (very mild case of) depression well beyond the point in my life where I could have coped with it and moved on. I'm still dealing with the repercussions of the period in my life where I was on it.

And despite that, I highly recommend pharmacopsychiatry to people who need it. It's done a lot of good for a lot of people in my family. I was misdiagnosed and also was extremely introverted (to the point where I wouldn't even talk to my doctors) and I continued to take Paxil well past the point where I had realized it was making everything worse. Panic attacks, auditory hallucinations, raging migraine headaches (never had a migraine in my life until or since then), terrible insomnia, no appetite, total lack of motivation.

I knew it was ruining me and I said nothing and continued to take it for eight months after I realized what it was doing, because I didn't want to talk to my doctor or parents about it. And also because the withdrawal was a bitch, and I didn't realize that just maybe I wouldn't have to quit it altogether.

I spent a week locked in my room after flushing the bottle of pills. It was the worst week of my entire life, and after it was over I was a thousand percent better.

Which is good, because I'd given myself an ultimatum that if I weren't feeling like a new person after the Paxil was out of my system, I'd jump from the roof of my eleven story dorm building. Life just wasn't worth living if I was going to be that miserable.

The lesson here: talk to your goddamn doctor. Yeah, the first drug he puts you on might not work. But that doesn't mean none of them will work.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Damn, that's pretty fucked up in so many ways. How old are you and what kind of resources do you have? It almost seems like a conspiracy to bring you back into the fold.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Paxil is fucking evil.

Paxil very nearly made me kill myself, and it probably prolonged my (very mild case of) depression well beyond the point in my life where I could have coped with it and moved on. I'm still dealing with the repercussions of the period in my life where I was on it.

Paxil was the first one they gave me. It didn't really fuck me up in ways that I could describe. It just made me numb and in so doing destroyed my relationship with the girl I was living with at the time (who was very cool about the panic attacks but not so cool about the lump of human flesh I became after getting on the Paxil).

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    King Boo HooKing Boo Hoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lawyer lawyer lawyer. I'm saying it too.

Not just that, but tell the lawyer about this thread. It's pretty easy to prove via records on backups that this thread was made prior to your firing so the information within it is valid. In it, a lawyer will find you bringing up differences in religion with a boss and then being promptly fired. That's way more evidence than you find in 90% of discrimination lawsuits which usually consist of 'he said / she said' crap.

You've got a case, and a good one at that.

You want to help other Scientologists see the flaws in their religion? This is how. Let them see how their Church responds to any dissenting opinions -- illegal firings.

Seriously, you need to do this. If not for yourself, if not for other Scientologists (so they can see how it really is), at least do it for all of us, people who get stomped on and discriminated against but aren't so lucky to have some evidence backing them up.

King Boo Hoo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Lawyers aren't always the best solution. (Although tell that to Scientologists--cheap shot).

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Also, DSM-wise.
    A lot of people like to claim that anything can be a DSM disorder. However, those are usually the people who have never read the DSM. It specifically states that something qualifies as a DSM disorder once the issue becomes a significant problem in daily life, interfering with work, relationships, happiness, etc.
    So if you have an incredible fear of the color pink, that can be a disorder. Sounds silly? Not really. If you dislike wearing pink, that's not a disorder. If you won't go outside because you're afraid you'll see pink, intentionally turn the lights off at home so you can't see color and are exploring surgeries that'll make you color-blind, then you have a disorder. And if that's what your life looks right now, you need a psychologist/psychiatrist, so therefore something in the DSM should correspond to that (in this case, phobia).

The disorders themselves are just labels to help psychiatrists/psychologists help patients, and to help the patients understand what's going on. Ultimately, it's just a matter of "if your psyche (mind) is sufficiently fucked up, you need help", and titles and labels are just extras.

That said, psychiatrists do often over-prescribe if they choose not to follow the guideline of a disorder being something that really interferes with your life. Also, psychiatrists are often not up to date with the most modern drugs and drug studies, and can happily prescribe you some ancient drug when a much better one has come out. Some are also just dumb, and won't prescribe properly or respond to your side-effects properly. But overall, the system isn't evil, it's just getting rotten apple individuals.

King Boo Hoo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Lawyers aren't always the best solution. (Although tell that to Scientologists--cheap shot).

Fine, then go torch your bosses car, as well as his office. I was just recommending the legal method of pain delivery, but I certainly agree that fire sends a more pronounced message.

King Boo Hoo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Fine, then go torch your bosses car, as well as his office. I was just recommending the legal method of pain delivery, but I certainly agree that fire sends a more pronounced message.

Violence is generally a very bad solution unless you live in a hunter gatherer society (or prison) where it is expected of you. In the real world, if you have the resources, it sometimes makes sense to run like hell. Obviously this isn't always possible and Lawyers are great for that.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Well, I'll be turning 28 in 2 days (awesome early birthday present, this). Now that I've lost my job I'm pretty much fucked for cash, since I just spent everything I had on a wedding road trip to Montreal this last weekend + rent.

This is all kinds of fucked up.

I like my boss. I think I still do. That's what's bothering me. I know he's only doing this because he has to. Fucking sucks. I don't think it's any kind of organized conspiracy, since my boss is the only one who really knew what I was doing as far as looking for other ideas. But I do think this was a direct response to what I was doing.

And there's always that little proviso: if you shape up and return to the fold all is forgiven.

Fuck me. Fuck.

Sorry.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well, I'll be turning 28 in 2 days (awesome early birthday present, this). Now that I've lost my job I'm pretty much fucked for cash, since I just spent everything I had on a wedding road trip to Montreal this last weekend + rent.

I like my boss. I think I still do. That's what's bothering me. I know he's only doing this because he has to. Fucking sucks. I don't think it's any kind of organized conspiracy, since my boss is the only one who really knew what I was doing as far as looking for other ideas. But I do think this was a direct response to what I was doing.

And there's always that little proviso: if you shape up and return to the fold all is forgiven.

Fuck me. Fuck.

Sorry.

If he had to it's at least a disorganized conspiracy. What is your situation financially? Are you single? Do you have resources you can fall back on? I suspect Canada offers a better spectrum of help to those in dark circumstances than the USA but I don't know this. Do you have options? I suspect that at 28 you probably can fend for yourself but whether you are going to depends to some extent on the circumstances you find yourself in.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Fuck me. Fuck.

Sorry.

It's like going cold turkey; this might suck for a while, but eventually you'll be better off without it.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    skyybahamutskyybahamut Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Fuck me. Fuck.

Sorry.

He knew you were looking for outside answers. Bolded parts are your problem. He did not have to fire you. Scientology may mandate that he has to, and he chose to follow his religion. What he is doing is discriminatory. You may understand why he is doing this, but he had better understand that you are going to bury the company in leagal fees because of his action.

skyybahamut on
    This signature is for SCIENCE!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Did I type 28? I meant 24. Oops.

Financially I'm pretty screwed. I'll have to start looking for new work tomorrow, because I'll be in trouble otherwise.

My boss isn't a big company. He's an independent contractor who makes something in the 6 figures range. I don't want to ruin him, but I do want something to be done about this. This isn't the type of shit I want to just let go anymore.

But legally I have no idea where I stand. I'll see if I can find a lawyer or something in the yellow pages. At least I can ask.

I'm going to have several awkward conversations with my mom tomorrow.

I think I'll go to bed now.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Good night man, and good luck. I really respect people who have both balls and brains, and you've got both, so odds are in your favor that things will somehow work out for the better.

King Boo Hoo on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm in Canada, though.

http://www.ccla.org/

May want to look into these guys. I don't know if they're as good as the ACLU at what they do.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Did I type 28? I meant 24. Oops.

Financially I'm pretty screwed. I'll have to start looking for new work tomorrow, because I'll be in trouble otherwise.

My boss isn't a big company. He's an independent contractor who makes something in the 6 figures range. I don't want to ruin him, but I do want something to be done about this. This isn't the type of shit I want to just let go anymore.

But legally I have no idea where I stand. I'll see if I can find a lawyer or something in the yellow pages. At least I can ask.

I see you're in Ontario. This might be a good resource to start from: http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/brochures/br_rights.html

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I know you have more pressing concerns right now than the pursuit of knowledge but I know precisely jack shit about what you can do so I'll leave that part to the better informed.
    I guess that's in response to the supposed horror stories of 4 year olds being diagnosed with severe ADHD and put on meds. Whether that actually happens, I don't know.

I was diagnosed pretty young, as in before school age, with ADD and occasionally took trips into drug land. Ritalin made me blink like a hummingbird flaps its wings (we have footage somewhere and it's probably not sensitive or whatever to laugh at a drug side effect but damn it's hilarious) and Paxil made my thoughts extremely sexual (which really sucks when you're 12), so for most of my life including now I've just been doing it drugless. I don't really know for sure if my diagnosis was accurate or not but I appreciate that I had some sort of problems and I certainly am glad that people were available to try and help me.
    you're not supposed to be popping Aspirin whenever you feel a headache coming on, but if you're in the hospital for surgery then anaesthesia is unavoidable.

Do you know how the term "Bite the bullet" came about? They just need to stop being such pussies.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Do you have anybody you can rely on that is outside scientology?

I'm just concerned you don't have any support system at all now. I mean, other than internet strangers.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    He brings up some other things that are just false, and he even took a shot at my father, who was a Scientologist and died of cancer a few years ago: "I hope you decide to do something about your life as I'm sure your father would have wanted as much. As he spent his entire life trying to make the world a better place by being on staff and a Scientologist." And I'm pretty godamn mad about that.
    This right here? This is the smoking gun. Dumbass just wrote himself into a lawsuit. See kids, this is what happens when you don't just call someone into a room and tell them "your services are no longer required". Performance reports if there are legal requirements. But, no personal comments. Ever.

I hope you kept copies of the email. You'll need it.
    Tough shit. He should have thought about that before he decided to make illegal employment decisions. If he's willing to do it to you, his "good buddy", he's willing to do it to someone else.

GungHo on
  • Options
    KingGrahamKingGraham Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sue. SUE. SUE.

Get a lawyer.

This has got to be one of the best cases of employer discrimination EVER. You've actually got evidence. You've got an e-mail and this thread documenting the ordeal.

This is pretty insane.

Also, seriously start making moves towards becoming financially independent. A nice lucrative discrimination lawsuit will be an excellent first step.

KingGraham on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cervetus wrote: »
    you're not supposed to be popping Aspirin whenever you feel a headache coming on, but if you're in the hospital for surgery then anaesthesia is unavoidable.
    Do you know how the term "Bite the bullet" came about? They just need to stop being such pussies.
    Absolutely. You getting a twinge of pain from that open-heart surgery? Walk it off.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I know you have more pressing concerns right now than the pursuit of knowledge but I know precisely jack shit about what you can do so I'll leave that part to the better informed.
    I guess that's in response to the supposed horror stories of 4 year olds being diagnosed with severe ADHD and put on meds. Whether that actually happens, I don't know.

I was diagnosed pretty young, as in before school age, with ADD and occasionally took trips into drug land. Ritalin made me blink like a hummingbird flaps its wings (we have footage somewhere and it's probably not sensitive or whatever to laugh at a drug side effect but damn it's hilarious) and Paxil made my thoughts extremely sexual (which really sucks when you're 12), so for most of my life including now I've just been doing it drugless. I don't really know for sure if my diagnosis was accurate or not but I appreciate that I had some sort of problems and I certainly am glad that people were available to try and help me.

Alright, I guess I have to balance the "diagnosing ADHD early is wrong" story with my own.
    I got diagnosed with ADHD when I was 20. I'm a psych major, and essentially I came to the realization one day that if you were to ask any of my friends the top 5 characteristics that describe me, 4 of them would be describing ADHD, not me. So I got myself officially diagnosed, and I'm on Adderall, and it's great. Now people can describe me for who I am, not some faulty wiring.

The point of this story isn't the happiness that comes with now getting diagnosed but the utter stupidity that no one diagnosed and helped me earlier. From 3rd grade my teacher recommend I be diagnosed, I got screened but the guy decided I shouldn't take medication. My parents had to check my homework until like 9th grade because I wouldn't do it if no one forced me to. I couldn't follow rules or really take it to heart when someone told me to do things, so I was constantly angry because I couldn't understand why everyone was angry at me. My social life was pretty poor as well since I was constantly talking, jumping, cutting into conversations, etc. My grades sucked throughout middle school and most of high school, despite that I'm actually a really intelligent guy. When I started having some element of control over my mind in late high school, it was too late to bump my GPA up significantly higher, and I ended up going to a state school. Now I'm on Adderall, hold a 3.97GPA, am involved in a bunch of activities, and clearly could be doing all this in a nice Ivy League school but I'm not.

So yeah, I wish someone would've diagnosed me earlier so I could've lived a childhood based on who I am, not what ADHD is.

King Boo Hoo on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Actually, that sounds a lot like me. Maybe I am ADD.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wow, this is really fucked up. Do I need to add to the litany of voices telling Page to lawyer up?

Probably not, but I will anyway. Lawyer up. This was religious discrimination.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It's been over 12 hours since I last told you to get a lawyer. Do it.

King Boo Hoo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Actually, that sounds a lot like me. Maybe I am ADD.
    Here's the DSM criteria for ADHD (ADD is a subsect of ADHD):
    A. Either 1 or 2
    1. Six or more of the following symptoms of inattention have persisted for at least six months to a degree that is maladaptive and inconsistent with developmental level:
    -Often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities
    -Often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities
    -Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly
    -Often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions)
    -Often has difficulty organizing tasks and activities
    -Often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort (such as school work or homework)
    -Often loses things necessary for tasks or activities (e.g., toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools)
    -Is often easily distracted by extraneous stimuli
    -Is often forgetful in daily activities
    2. Six or more of the following symptoms of hyperactivity/impulsivity have persisted for at least six months to a degree that is maladaptive and inconsistent with developmental level
    Hyperactivity
    -Often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat
    -Often leaves seat in classroom or in other situations in which remaining seated is expected
    -Often runs about or climbs excessively in situations in which it is inappropriate (in adolescents or adults, may be limited to subjective feelings of restlessness)
    -Often has difficulty playing or engaging in leisure activities quietly
    -Is often "on the go" or often acts as if "driven by a motor"
    -Often talks excessively
    Impulsivity
    -Often blurts out answers before questions have been completed
    -Often has difficulty awaiting turn
    -Often interrupts or intrudes on others (e.g. butts into conversations or games)

B. Some hyperactive, impulsive or inattentive symptoms that caused impairment were present before 7 years of age

C. Some impairment from the symptoms is present in two or more settings (e.g., at school or work and at home)

D. There must be clear evidence of clinically significant impairment in social, academic, or occupational functioning

E. The symptoms do not occur exclusively during the course of a pervasive developmental disorder, schizophrenia, or other psychotic disorder, and are not better accounted for by another mental disorder (e.g., mood disorder, anxiety disorder, dissociative disorder, personality disorder.)
    For those claiming ADHD is diagnosable for any kid, keep this in mind, which they put in numerous places:
    You can only check off a symptom if it's "persisted for at least six months to a degree that is maladaptive and inconsistent with developmental level"
    They put that twice.
    They also require "Some impairment from the symptoms is present in two or more settings (e.g., at school or work and at home)"
    And they also require "There must be clear evidence of clinically significant impairment in social, academic, or occupational functioning"
    And they even make sure to include that the symptoms can't be explained by another mental condition.

That's 4 times in this little one-page guide that they continue emphasizing maladaptive, inconsistent with development level, and impairment in several settings.

Anyway, ADHD is usually diagnosed as a child, so if you're older than that you may want to use this (PDF checklist).
    Do checklists work? According to this study they do, and they are endorsed by multiple organizations.

For me it wasn't a checklist or anything else that did it. Like I said, it simply came down to "Who am I?". And when everyone's answers were based on symptoms of a disorder rather than who I was, I recognized there was a problem there.

King Boo Hoo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    For me it wasn't a checklist or anything else that did it. Like I said, it simply came down to "Who am I?". And when everyone's answers were based on symptoms of a disorder rather than who I was, I recognized there was a problem there.

When I was testing and screening kids for ADD, the parent and teacher reports were the most convincing things. The tests I administered helped, but the outside observations were the ones that got them there in the first place, and if they were coming to me, it was pretty likely that I was just going to be verifying a diagnosis rather than pointing them to one.

Well, that was true except for when it came to mood disorders and autism-spectrum stuff. But the most interesting clients had to be the kids that were just too smart for their grade. Being bumped up a class is apparently rare nowadays, because I saw a lot of 3rd and 4th grade kids performing at middle school levels.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Man, Page, I'm sorry things aren't going well for you, but I know how you feel. It actually happened to me in reverse. My family was always mildly Christian, but my mother went all born-again evangelical on me in the last 5 years or so.

It's not that I suddenly went atheist and they're all disappointed, but I never really felt the need to declare my atheism. Now my mom wants me to watch videotapes of sermons at her megachurch, and I'm just really irked when I have to be in the car when she's got Christian rock on the radio. She eventually stopped trying to send me videotapes, so I guess hearing Christian rock in her car isn't that big of a compromise.

We still talk and she just came up for a visit last weekend, so I have high hopes that your mom will be as understanding. Good luck!

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Forgiveness is not a trait Scientology focuses on.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I guess I should give an update.

Things went down like this:

Monday night at about quarter to twelve I got the email from my boss letting me know I'm being fired. I sent a response (I'm told it had a lot of teeth by a friend of mine). I was really angry then, and still angry in the morning. So I decided that since I was broke and I'd just lost my job I needed a new one, obviously. I spent the morning and part of the afternoon looking, but no luck near my house and I didn't have the cash to broaden my search right then. Pretty much everybody told me to come back at the end of the month, after all the kids had gone back to school.

Sometime in the afternoon I was home thinking about a resume and checking craigslist when my boss called.

It was a strange conversation, made stranger by the way our phone line kept cutting out (actually, my whole outside line went dead, and the internet, too; really strange). Long and short is that he apologized, for the most part, and said that most of the problems were things that he'd been bottling up for a while, and my email (I sent him an email with a bunch of anecdotal accounts of people being helped by psychiatry and psych drugs) must have sent him over the edge. At least that's my interpretation; he never said what the trigger was, just that he had a lot built up and it just came out the wrong way.

So we agree that we'll make a few changes to our working arrangement, and that I would talk to someone at the org. I went with this because I needed the job, I'm sorry to say, and I wasn't quite ready to burn all my bridges in one go. The deal is pretty much that I'll work with him until I can find something else, probably till the end of the season, unless I find something sooner.

So I went into the org and talked to the Ethics Officer. It went pretty much how I expected it would. I didn't bring up anything I couldn't really support, we just talked for a while and he basically told me that I needed to learn more, that I was having the same problems, in a more direct way, that many people had. There was a lot of low-level PR, the stuff I'm used to by now. So I'm supposed to read my basics, at my own pace.

And that's really the crux of the problem. Most of our disagreements came down to me saying: "Scientologists say or do (whatever)," and him telling me that that may have been the case in the past, or some people have the wrong idea, or I'm just taking things out of context, but really it says in the books, if you read them, something else. And that's it for me: You can say that they're doing it wrong, but the fact is that they're all doing it. And how many times to I catch a lie or mistake in the writing before I throw the whole thing out? It's like I've heard more moderate Christians describe. They believe in a different way than everyone else, but in the end they're the ones who are doing it wrong, not all the other believers. I don't think I'll ever be able to square that, and that's the end for me.

What followed was the probably the worst week and weekend of my life, which is a nice way to cap off one of the worst months of my life, and an even better way to celebrate hitting 24. I ended up house sitting for my boss over the weekend, looking after his dogs. Thing is, I had no money and I couldn't leave the house for more than a couple of hours anyways. In the end it was almost a good thing; I've never been so grateful for the skull-numbing properties of TV before, because every time I actually had time to think about what was going on I became monstrously depressed, and since I was alone in a house with virtually no contact with the outside world I wasn't really looking forward to spending 5 days wallowing in absolute misery. So, yeah, TV ftw.

My Mom is something else. We still haven't really talked about it, but she pretty much knows what's going on. As soon as I've got a new job and have the money I'll be moving out, and then we'll see how things go. The rest of my family shouldn't be a problem. I have 3 brothers and a sister. My sister is the one I get along with best and she's pretty much doing her own thing, one of my brothers is living in Montreal and has never been a Scientologist, my youngest brother isn't even 14 and he's the one I worry about most. My other brother, well, I've never gotten on with him and he's the most dedicated of the bunch, for all the wrong reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if we never spoke again, except for family stuff, but I'm not sure it would bother me; already we don't speak unless we have to, and once I'm on my own there'll be no reason at all.

Right now I think (hope) it'll work out, but I'm not at all sure. At least my friend is back in the country and I have someone to talk to. It's one day at a time, but it certainly could be worse.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't have time right now to post more, but I'd just like to say how impressed I am by the way you're acting, Page, and your friends and family should be proud of you. Hell, I'm proud to know you even through the tiny peripheral contact of reading your story on the forum.

Well done.

And I'm British - we're not effusive people :lol:

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.