As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heavy Rain O X L2+X YOU DIE!

• Options
    CrazybearCrazybear Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Indigo Prophecy was like the biggest bait and switch ever. You had this awesome set of scenes at the beginning of the game that gave you the feeling your actions mattered. On replays, you realize it's all superficial.

And the QTE's were awful. Like darleysam said, there's this tense action scene going on, and you have to watch the buttons popping up on the screen. I can't even tell you half of what happened during the rooftop fight.

With that said, though.... from the trailer it looks like the QTE's are better, since they pop up as part of the scene, in a way. I just really doubt the final product will be able to match the potential that is hinted at.

Either way, I guess it doesn't matter since if it's PS3 exclusive, I'll never play it.

I don't know about that, I mean, alot was promised in IP and it fell short, but I think there is still a good game in there (from what I can remember and also the portion I played).

I haven't seen the videos for the new game yet (most cool stuff is blocked where I work) but from reading the descriptions, it sounds like a hell of an experience. I mean, escaping what sounds to be a lunatic killer by the skin of your teeth sounds like a lot of fun.

As a video game, that is...

Crazybear on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don 't know, graphically I'm sure it'll be impressive but the gameplay kinda looks like next gen Indigo Prophecy, you just have more choices and the storyline will branch out a lot more.

I did like Indigo Prophecy, it started off well anyway but it really lost it's direction toward the end. So I ended up replaying the cafe section a load of times and was disappointed by it overall, had its moments though.

Will have to see more vids of this one, learn more about to see if its worth a look or not.

atat23 on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If I'm reading this right and the video depicts what I think. this is a huge step backward to the likes of Dragon's Lair,
    Time Gal, and other FMV "games". That's all an entire game of "Krauser Knife Fight" would amount to.

Why is PS3 being used to make early Sega CD games?

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    IceBurner wrote: »
    If I'm reading this right and the video depicts what I think. this is a huge step backward to the likes of Dragon's Lair,
    Time Gal, and other FMV "games". That's all an entire game of "Krauser Knife Fight" would amount to.

Why is PS3 being used to make early Sega CD games?

What makes this one a little different is that there's supposedly no necessarily "right" path. So instead of just QTEing your way through an adventure, your performance in the QTEs and out of the QTEs in exploration affects in some way the unfolding of the story in more than just "Is/Is not completed"

Khavall on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I swear I'm going to scream if this turns out to be a re-envisioning of Dragon's Lair.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I swear I'm going to scream if this turns out to be a re-envisioning of Dragon's Lair.

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Indigo Prophecy is not one long Krauser knife fight. The way it worked in IP was you could miss the occasional button and still succeed; as long as you don't miss a bunch in a row you're fine. QTEs done right. I fully expect Heavy Rain to do the same.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    synthetic1synthetic1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I absolutely adored IP even with it's retardo plot twist. This game is so bought on day 1.

The opening scene of IP in that cafe diner was one of the best intros to a game ever.

synthetic1 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Hey Mega Man, join my side. You'll be mine, FOREVER!"
  • Options
    CrazybearCrazybear Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    synthetic1 wrote: »
    I absolutely adored IP even with it's retardo plot twist. This game is so bought on day 1.

The opening scene of IP in that cafe diner was one of the best intros to a game ever.

Limed for truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the damn truth. That opening scene and the monologue was gold, pure gold. It really set the stage for the game and sucked you into the story.

The first time I saw the intro, man, it just blew me away.

Crazybear on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think why the QTEs worked well for God of War is because every enemy in the game could be killed via QTE, and often it was required. It never felt unnatural because it was a core gameplay element.

Anyways, I don't have a beef with QTEs, as long as its not purely trial and error. I'm looking forward to seeing more cinematic games.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Indigo Prophecy is not one long Krauser knife fight. The way it worked in IP was you could miss the occasional button and still succeed; as long as you don't miss a bunch in a row you're fine. QTEs done right. I fully expect Heavy Rain to do the same.

It's still simon says with a massive detatchment from your actions on screen. I haven't heard anyone come up with something more convincing than "Instead of having to press X straight away, you can wait a few seconds and press O instead!".

Rook on
  • Options
    dmitdmit Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Crazybear wrote: »
    synthetic1 wrote: »

Limed for truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the damn truth. That opening scene and the monologue was gold, pure gold. It really set the stage for the game and sucked you into the story.

The first time I saw the intro, man, it just blew me away.

And when the demo was first released, before the game hit retail, we had a big thread going about the possible consequences of your actions in that first scene. Was it worth it to spend time cleaning up or would it be better to leave as soon as possible? Would it be better to walk past the policeman, pay the lady and casually walk out the front entrance, or get out the back door without paying? Was it safer to take the taxi or the subway? And so on, and so on. Turns out the answer to all of those questions was "yes."

dmit on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Rook wrote: »

It's still simon says with a massive detatchment from your actions on screen. I haven't heard anyone come up with something more convincing than "Instead of having to press X straight away, you can wait a few seconds and press O instead!".

My point is that in RE4 if you miss just once it's game over. In IP this is not the case.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i think it would be nice for once to rely on random buttons to do my work for me

running round the table looks fuckin' A can't i do that for myself

predicting his movements, circling the table etc

Nuzak on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You guys cannot deny that there are moments of pure gaming bliss in Indigo Prophecy. If this is Indigo Prophecy without the ridiculous plot twists where the writer decided to find inspiration from LSD and a walk through a library's R.L. Stein section, it will be awesome.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That was a good preview; color me intrigued. And it's not just a string of quick time events, guys. It's not as if you play this level and there is this QTE. That preview described one outcome where he didn't come across any of those. He just snuck outside of the house. When he got caught in another playthrough, then he engaged in a QTE fight. If he missed a button, it wasn't game over, but something new would happen. It sounds even better than what Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit did. I especially liked how the AI randomized what it was doing, so you never know what's going to happen on subsequent playthroughs.

So one more year, huh? Q3 2009? I'll be keeping an eye out for this one. I did like Fahrenheit until it went crazy with the supernatural, and this one doesn't seem to have any of that, so I have high hopes.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    From what I've read, it's not even a case of "HIT X TO NOT DIE!", it's a case of X briefly appearing on a vase and O briefly appearing on his hand and if you press X you smash his head with the vase and if you press O you block his knife and if you don't press either of them he pushes the table over and advances on you. A constant string of context sensitive environments. If you end up in a confrontation with the guy.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    David_T wrote: »
    From what I've read, it's not even a case of "HIT X TO NOT DIE!", it's a case of X briefly appearing on a vase and O briefly appearing on his hand and if you press X you smash his head with the vase and if you press O you block his knife and if you don't press either of them he pushes the table over and advances on you. A constant string of context sensitive environments. If you end up in a confrontation with the guy.

THAT's what I was getting at before Khavall "got up my grill."
    It's the first time a game has my curiosity -- not fanboyism, not devotion -- just pure curiosity cranked to 11.

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This isn't any different to Indigo/Fahrenheit though, you didn't have to get all the QTEs perfectly, you didn't always end up in the same encounters, and it didn't always play through the same. The game still sucked.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The slightly different mechanic in no way sanctions QTEs altogether... Or safeguards the game from suckage.

It's just an upgrade from the trad QTE mechanic... Jury's still out whether Quantic Dream (I still have a copy of Omikron kicking around) can build a fun GAME from the concept.

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This isn't any different to Indigo/Fahrenheit though
    That's actually very different from Indigo Prophenheit. There was no context there, it was just QTEs. In Heavy Rain you control what you do.
    The game still sucked.
    I'd... I'd red that, but I wouldn't want to tarnish the color.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    OK, so, why does everyone hate QTE's so much? I mean, I think it is a nice way to see a really cool interactive cutscene. A way to see something that you just can't swing in-game as it is. I absolutely adored Indigo Prophecies QTEs, although the apartment one drove me insane.

maraxus94 on
  • Options
    ObstSkwerlObstSkwerl Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    maraxus94 wrote: »
    OK, so, why does everyone hate QTE's so much? I mean, I think it is a nice way to see a really cool interactive cutscene. A way to see something that you just can't swing in-game as it is. I absolutely adored Indigo Prophecies QTEs, although the apartment one drove me insane.

It's just a huge fuck you on your reaction speed or punish you for not knowing the gamepad well enough.

ObstSkwerl on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This isn't any different to Indigo/Fahrenheit though, you didn't have to get all the QTEs perfectly, you didn't always end up in the same encounters, and it didn't always play through the same. The game still sucked.

Except Indigo/Fahrenheit sucked because of the wacky story. It wasn't bad until things went way, way off the deep end. Heavy Rain doesn't look like it'll play exactly like Fahrenheit, but the story this time seems like they just want to do a mature thriller without zombies and aliens and crazy shit. I think it's unfair to judge Heavy Rain by their previous game, because they are different games in a number of respects.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dashui wrote: »

Except Indigo/Fahrenheit sucked because of the wacky story. It wasn't bad until things went way, way off the deep end. Heavy Rain doesn't look like it'll play exactly like Fahrenheit, but the story this time seems like they just want to do a mature thriller without zombies and aliens and crazy shit. I think it's unfair to judge Heavy Rain by their previous game, because they are different games in a number of respects.

As long as the main enemy doesn't actually end up being Space AI I will be fine with it. Seriously, wtf?

maraxus94 on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    from what i've seen, if anyone's going to implement interactivity which supplements narrative in a meaningful way it's quantic dreams. farenheit had a whole lot of problems but as a storytelling exercise it did a whole lot of things right. i'm really looking forward to this

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This game has been on my radar since it was announced. Even though it ultimately failed, I thought Indigo Prophecy was important for what it tried to do. Now all I can do is rock gently in a darkened room waiting and hoping against hope that Heavy Rain sees a port to the 360. I'm not going to pay $500+ for just one game, though I'll probably pick up a copy of this in a 'just in case I get access to a PS3' situation.

Which will happen the day before the announcement of a port.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The QTE-centric gameplay in Indigo Prophecy sucked because when you concentrated on watching what buttons you had to press you had no idea what your character was actually doing, and if you tried to pay attention to what was happening on-screen you would DIE.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aargh, this better turn out well. :(

It sounds like everything I want from a game story telling wise.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    NH03 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of the ps3. That being said, I don't think this game looks any good.

Everything in the gameplay trailer seems kind of off. For one, why would you enter a house where you know a murderer is going to be there? Why would I want to press button sequences in order to escape said murderer?

Does the game want you to feel helpless? Usually I like to have choices when I face something that seems like a desperate struggle. Watching my character flail helplessly in a close house is not something I would like to see.

Then theres the part where you're alone in a house, with a murderer. I mean, how long can you hope to keep him off of you realistically? How would that translate into a good XX hour game? I mean, I see where they got the idea, but some struggles are just not long enough to make an actual game.

It's an entirely seperate scenario from the game. o_O

Also, you don't actually know what's going on in that house when you go in, which you did because you're there to find out what's going on.

And you press button sequences in order to escape from the said murderer is because you don't want to get murdered. Unless you do, in which case I don't want to know about it.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ObstSkwerl wrote: »
    maraxus94 wrote: »

It's just a huge fuck you on your reaction speed or punish you for not knowing the gamepad well enough.

Reaction speed is one thing, and Indigo Prophecy did a pretty good job for the most part of not requiring you to be Japanese:
    Psycho IIDX Thing
    And if you don't "know the gamepad well enough", well, I don't know what to tell you. I would hope that after around 14 years of the Playstation controller being around you would remember where triangle is.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    NH03NH03 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of the ps3. That being said, I don't think this game looks any good.

Everything in the gameplay trailer seems kind of off. For one, why would you enter a house where you know a murderer is going to be there? Why would I want to press button sequences in order to escape said murderer?

Does the game want you to feel helpless? Usually I like to have choices when I face something that seems like a desperate struggle. Watching my character flail helplessly in a close house is not something I would like to see.

Then theres the part where you're alone in a house, with a murderer. I mean, how long can you hope to keep him off of you realistically? How would that translate into a good XX hour game? I mean, I see where they got the idea, but some struggles are just not long enough to make an actual game.

Also, you don't actually know what's going on in that house when you go in, which you did because you're there to find out what's going on.

And you press button sequences in order to escape from the said murderer is because you don't want to get murdered. Unless you do, in which case I don't want to know about it.

Button sequences are not for me, especially an entire game based on them. The way the gameplay trailer looks, which is all Ive seen, is the game takes place in that house which wouldn't make for a very good game.

NH03 on
    vincentsig.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Triangle points up, right?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rule 34 says this game appeals to someone's fetish.

At first glance, I hope this doesn't focus on the gore anymore than necessary.....why did I read the first post and think "Speed Grapher?"

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    yeah the taxidermist house is just a kind of side-story / scenario, as far as i can tell mostly for demonstration purposes. the game itself, if it's anything like its predecessor, will be low-concept investigative adventure with lots of free-roaming, relaxed downtime and brief, intense sections of action

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    On the subject of QTE's, God of War was one good way to go, Die Hard:Arcade was another, you make it, you skip a battle or two, you fail, you take some damage and get extra fight.

Like some of the other people in this thread have said, not all QTE's are bad, they are just tools that can be used quite badly, like cel shading or cinematics (FFVIII anyone?).

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Was that Mariska Hargitay?

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »

Button sequences are not for me, especially an entire game based on them. The way the gameplay trailer looks, which is all Ive seen, is the game takes place in that house which wouldn't make for a very good game.

o_O

We know for a fact that it's just a small part of the game. You saying otherwise is akin to watching a commercial for a TV show and just assuming there's only one episode.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The article snippets in the OP really remind me of the hype around Indigo Prophecy. I'm going to wait and see if the decisions actually have many long term impacts on the story. IP really showed me how it was nearly impossible to have a longish game and have your decisions before the final part of the game mean anything.

Couscous on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    How did I miss the thread for this? Loved Indigo Prophecy, even though the plot got retarded. Absolutely loved the QTE-fest gameplay.

Can't wait for this, been waiting forever to hear new info on it.

UnbreakableVow on
This discussion has been closed.