As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Generic life advice required.

psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
At the moment i'm in my second year of a bachelor of arts degree and i've got no fucking idea where the hell i'm going with this or what i want to do with my life.

I'm feeling like i'm wasting both my parents and my own money with uni at this point because i can't bring myself to really commit any energy towards it, yet i know that bringing this up with them is just going to result in a massive screaming fit from my mother that i really don't want to listen to.

Lately i've just been feeling really apathetic towards everything and directionless. I'm basically over gaming as a hobby and i can't really find anything constructive with which to do with my free time.

So basically anybody got any sort of useful generalised advice at this point because i could really use some.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
psycojester on

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sounds like depression. Are you seeing any medical professionals?

Dehumanized on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    nope, kinda lacking in things to be depressed about as well.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There are different kinds of depression and different symptoms. Apathy tends to be a common symptom. So you might consider having at chat with the Uni therapists. It's what they're there for after all.

Have you considered switching your course if you don't like Arts so much? Or is it too late for that?

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Pretty common in college, I think.
    I went through that while in school.

Got just about done and stopped caring, and just kept going with it to finish so it didn't seem like I was wasting my parents money, and ended up in a fairly un-related field of work.

I'd also get pretty mopey and bored with gaming and anything else sometimes in college too. Like everything I did was just dull and uninteresting.

People instantly snap to depression and go get medical help for everything these days. Just ride it out, find a reason to finish up school. I didn't know what to do when I finished either, but I just got a temporary job and started saving up, and something came along.

My only advise is to keep going through with the daily grind, something will catch your interest and you will be right back out of it. Class will always be boring, and if you are disconnected and don't really enjoy your major then it's kinda rock and a hard place if you aren't paying for it. Other option is to try and start getting back into school.

What is your major?

rfalias on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I wasn't aware that universities had therapists on hand, i'll look into that one.

As for the degree, not sure how it is in the U.K but in Australia bachelor of Arts is just a kind of catch all bachelor of randomised studies, i wouldn't say i'm disliking it, i just don't think i'm accomplishing anything.

Edit: Atm i'm majoring in political science, which provides many rosey examples of the world being run by generally incompetent selfish bastards and that nothing anybody attempts to accomplish for the better will ever achieve anything lasting.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, even if you don't think you are accomplishing anything, having a Bachelors is a huge + for any job you may want in the future.

rfalias on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    well, I was (and am) pretty much like you. college felt pretty useless, and I didn't (and kind of still don't) get much thrill out of life. I don't know whether there are magic pills that can help people like us, but I've been prescribed some, and none has hit the spot yet. All I can suggest (besides seeing a shrink, which may or may not help) is sticking it out and try to keep an open mind toward things you might get into. make a hobby for yourself. join a club or sports team or something. keep a journal, go to concerts, whatever - just figure out ways to keep busy that you don't loathe...

DiscoZombie on
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You're probably in the wrong major then. If you don't love what you're doing, get the fuck out of an arts program and get a degree that's in demand to make some money.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I highly recommend staying in school. Definitely, like Derrick said, look around at changing your major if you want. I really wish I had completed a Bachelors. It makes life a lot easier down the road.

It's hard to feel like you are making progress while you are still taking time with learning and education. If you went to uni straight out of school, chances are you're feeling more independant and guilt is setting in finally. (Ie: you've learned the value of money, and so on).

Honestly, stick it out, check in with a medical professional for sure, but hang in there. I am assuming you're still in your 20's. Basically, life has barely begun, don't get too ahead of yourself yet. There's lots of times yet to worry about where things are going. Don't do that yet. :)

onceling on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Staying in school is always a good thing, but don't forget why you are going to school.

I figure if you can do a major that pays well, and figure you'll be at work for less than 25% of your hours during the week (at ~40 hours of work per week out of 168 hours in a week) then you can spend the rest of your time sleeping soundly (33% for 8 hours a day) and doing things you enjoy (42%).

Don't feel guilty picking something that you like to do, but if: your guilt of not choosing a lucrative path > possible blandness/difficulty of another major, then switch. That way, at the very worst, your 25% of work time will be uninteresting, but your 42% for free time (and maybe even 33% for sleep time) will be enjoyable and guilt-free. This is compared to 25% of work being fun while the other 42-75% of your time is spent struggling.

I'm not saying money buys happiness to get out of your rut, but there's fewer hells on earth than lack of proper finances. It sure pays to have peace of mind.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    yeah, get through it - a BA is a great thing to have on your resume and if you can back it up by showing that there's a specific field you're particularly passionate about, it'll go a long way to getting you somewhere you're happy with

what do you want to do? there must be an industry you're somewhat excited about getting involved with

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You will get a lot of transferable skills out of continuing your degree. These are things employers apparently love.

Also, I don't know if your Uni will have counsellors available, but your student's union might if the University doesn't have official ones. I'm not recommending any type of medication. Sometimes its just good to talk.

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just like to be another person telling you that its fairly normal for the luster of you major to wear off and it may seem a bit dull. I know it happened to me but looking back on it I'm really glad I didn't just give up.

Sir Headless VII on
    Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg