Options

[FFXI] December Update Patch notes. 1up press interview. KWEH!!?!?!1one

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    So I don't like using a Great Axe. I skill it dutifully, but I would much rather use hand axes.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    arc080906161051ayg7.jpg

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Caption please?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    arc080906194401avh7.jpg

Alternatively: without names

EDIT:

arc080906204205aom8.jpg

Arcibi on
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
  • Options
    Demitri OmniDemitri Omni Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Caption please?

Final Fantasy XI: Just as much individualism as any other MMO.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    at one point the line stretched almost the entire way from one wall to the other

mostly tarus in black cloaks but there was one in full samurai relic, and one of them was actually a galka

this thing has been going on pretty much all day

and while it does say a lot about individuality in MMOs it's also funny as hell when you're part of it

Arcibi on
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Arcibi wrote: »
    at one point the line stretched almost the entire way from one wall to the other

mostly tarus in black cloaks but there was one in full samurai relic, and one of them was actually a galka

and while it does say a lot about individuality in MMOs it's also funny as hell when you're part of it

One of the Tarus was a Galka?! D:

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

He was on the very end, /sitting to make himself look shorter

It was pretty much the best way for the line to end

Arcibi on
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

He was on the very end, /sitting to make himself look shorter

It was pretty much the best way for the line to end

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Uber late group with King and those crazy kids in the pacific.
    Having that eerie feeling of being talked about is nice, hitting 31 is even nicer.
    5 levels away from my teleports than I can be freed from the clutches of WHM once and for all!
    Unless I feel like continuing with it that is.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Ge%27Dha_Evileye
    At what level WHM can I solo this sucker?

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Smashism wrote: »
    Having that eerie feeling of being talked about is nice, hitting 31 is even nicer.
    5 levels away from my teleports than I can be freed from the clutches of WHM once and for all!

Not sure, but bother me at some point today (got work from 12-4 CPT though) and I'll whack it for you.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I am so disgusted with San d'Oria right now. This week we have the Ronfaure and Zulkheim regions, and that's it.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Not sure, but bother me at some point today (got work from 12-4 CPT though) and I'll whack it for you.

I'm not sure if this is a heavily camped NM or not, now that I think about it.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

If that's the case, I'll just buy what I need the old fashioned way. Thank you for the offer.

Smashism on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I am so disgusted with San d'Oria right now. This week we have the Ronfaure and Zulkheim regions, and that's it.

Damnit; and I was all excited to get up and do some OP runs.

:(

If that's the case, I'll just buy what I need the old fashioned way. Thank you for the offer.

I would imagine a WHM would need to be ~40 to solo a 30 NM. I'm just basing that on what I noticed about lower level NM's. Generally it seems to be 5+ levels above for a melee and ~10+ levels for a caster. I'm sure as you start getting up there this is thrown out the window when NM's start needing full parties regardless of your level.

I assume you're looking for the phial though. Just IMO, you might be better off spending the time you would camping, farming. You're not fighting for claims, random spawns and random loot. I've just grown very weary of drops off NM's that don't have 100% drops on a specific item. They tend to be camped by people who care way more than me about getting that drop. And with the random drop; you could potentially looking at a very long time camping.

EDIT: It's not Rare/EX though, so from what I understand of Treasure Hunter, TH1 would boost the drop rate for the phial; if you have thf leveled. My understanding is that TF1 doesn't help for Rare/EX, but TF2 does.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited September 2008
    I am going to go check it out now.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    GrinninBarrettGrinninBarrett Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I would imagine a WHM would need to be ~40 to solo a 30 NM. I'm just basing that on what I noticed about lower level NM's. Generally it seems to be 5+ levels above for a melee and ~10+ levels for a caster. I'm sure as you start getting up there this is thrown out the window when NM's start needing full parties regardless of your level.

I assume you're looking for the phial though. Just IMO, you might be better off spending the time you would camping, farming. You're not fighting for claims, random spawns and random loot. I've just grown very weary of drops off NM's that don't have 100% drops on a specific item. They tend to be camped by people who care way more than me about getting that drop. And with the random drop; you could potentially looking at a very long time camping.

EDIT: It's not Rare/EX though, so from what I understand of Treasure Hunter, TH1 would boost the drop rate for the phial; if you have thf leveled. My understanding is that TF1 doesn't help for Rare/EX, but TF2 does.

http://wiki.bluegartrls.com/Treasure_Hunter

Also note that carrying a lucky egg in your inventory does not increase the effect of TH

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I think it might have been in one of the THF guides that I read that about it not helping RARE/EX before TH2.

I'll look it up; but it could just be speculation anyway. When the exact % of drops is unknown, it's hard to know how much something is increasing it without a lot of testing.

EDIT: oh, it's here: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Treasure_Hunter

What is that other wiki?

EDIT2: Hm, it doesn't say it there either. I have to keep looking to see where I saw there. I promise I didn't make it up :P

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Not heavily camped, but this area is generally avoided. The Mute And Aflictors are a pain for most.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    GrinninBarrettGrinninBarrett Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    TH not effecting rare/ex items is bogus, it's just that drop rates can be so random that people will look for any excuse to pin the blame on something

I've also heard that facing a certain direction increases TH's effect but that's bunk too

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Time of death, now. Dropped a scroll of invisible.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    TH not effecting rare/ex items is bogus, it's just that drop rates can be so random that people will look for any excuse to pin the blame on something

I've also heard that facing a certain direction increases TH's effect but that's bunk too

Yeah, makes sense. So much of the stuff in FFXI seems like wild speculation.

If you read a crafting guide it talks about moon phases, color of stars, your facing based on elements etc...

It might seem like maybe it's valid; but when you take into consideration the sheer amount of complex code and design it would take to implement something like that; there's a very high probability it's bunk.

I mean, do people really think SE took the time to make such a convoluted crafting system just so you could make a handful of arrows? It makes way more sense that it's just a roll of the dice like 99% of everything else in MMO's.

EDIT: Anyway, logging on. Do we want to try to hit up a Promyvion today? I assume you guys didn't do one yesterday?

EDIT2: Hur dur I sold my level 30 weapons. Maybe I can stop the sale if my GA hasn't sold yet.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Moon phases I believe. Facing direction is more than I can choke down.

And the headhunter in Beadeaux just killed me.

So for me to take a 45 NM at level 64 White Mage, I need all my MP to do it.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Man there are a lot of fucking sissies in this game.

OH NOES we had a bad pull, lets just all fucking quit. ><

Damn crybabies. The worst are the people who don't say a word the whole party, except to bitch now and then, and just leave when one bad thing happens.

Oh dear me, we had a death. That's just unacceptable. /disband.

Rolleyes wouldn't even suffice here.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Sam, you get to keep the Phial. I have upgraded from it.

Edit: And on a side note, I acquired one too many needful things in-game today, and am now broke as hell.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Screw guild/Tenshodo shops and their goddamn holidays.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh god, it's morning! Make it stop!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I ignored FFXI all weekend, waiting for this change to go :P Hopefully I can grind up to SJ level faster after this patch today.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I'm pretty curious to see what the patch does to partying.

I mean, ideally it should be considerably easier to find a party at various levels because of the option to sync.

I fear though, for the average PUG it won't make too much of a difference. What are the chances that some random level 60 PLD is going to want to level down to PT with some 30's? I mean, yeah, personally, some xp is better than sitting in town flagged with no xp. But will everyone see it this way? I honestly don't know how wide the difference is between experience gained/hr in the 50's vs the 30's. I often notice though, that people in that level range are leveling as fast as I am in the 30's, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the xp per mob (assuming a chain) at those levels is much higher?

Anyway, I'm guessing that for the most part the level syncing will be a mainly friend/ls activity. Sure, you could have your WHM buddy level down to you in Valk; but I bet most people would still prefer the PL /sigh

You could tell last night already though that people are dumping mass amounts of mid-level gear on the AH and bazaars in prep for the change. This is good and bad. Good to pick up new gear at cheap, since there is so much of it; bad because stuff I already have that I paid a good amount for won't be worth as much tomorrow.

Oh well, I can handle losing some money now to have things cheaper in the long-run.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    The market will stabilize once the glut has sold off. It may be a while, but I can wait to sell off all my unused gear.

Unrelated note: I will be able to buy a new monitor in a week or so, and it is going to be sweet!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'll be glad to party with anyone as any job after this patch.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    damn I wish I had brought my laptop to campus today so I could download the update while I'm in class.

EDIT: Also I wish I brought it because some genius decided to disable the back/forward buttons on all the browsers on all the PC's. At least in the Political Science building.

Seriously; what the hell? I know Backspace works for going back and all but it's just stupid.

EDIT2: Apparently the reload/stop and Firefox searchbar are disabled. F5 doesn't even work for refreshing. Who the hell thought this would be a good idea and why hasn't anyone stabbed this person yet?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    By the by (or is it bye the bye? That doesn't really make sense though), I should be getting Infinite Undiscovery today or tomorrow; I won't be on FFXI quite as much till I finish it (though I'll probably still be on alot, even if I'm just sitting there while I play on the 360).

That is unless the game just completely blows and I sell it right back.

Just saying.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    I don't know if I can make it another 2 hours until the servers are back up. 3 hours? 4? FFXI, why you gotta torture us like this?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    DigitoDigito Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What's even more painful is that I'm all of 2 levels away from 30, then I can get a few buddies from my LS and go unlock SAM, which is something I've wanted for quite awhile now. Just gotta wait a feeew more hours...

Digito on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Updated OP

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Playonline is back up, FFXI is still down. Patching now.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh wow; there are a lot of little changes they didn't mention before (that I noticed at least):
    SE wrote:
    -An introductory tutorial NPC teaching players the fundamentals of game-play has been added to each of the three nations.
    * The tutorial feature will only be available to characters created after the release of the September 2008 version update

-The combat skill required to learn the first weapon skill for each weapon type has been lowered from 10 to 5.

-The levels of certain monsters in the following areas have been adjusted:
    West Ronfaure / East Ronfaure / La Theine Plateau / Valkurm Dunes / Jugner Forest / Batallia Downs / North Gustaberg / South Gustaberg / Konschtat Highlands / Pashhow Marshlands / Rolanberry Fields / West Sarutabaruta / East Sarutabaruta / Tahrongi Canyon / Buburimu Peninsula / Meriphataud Mountains / Sauromugue Champaign / Qufim Island / Behemoth's Dominion

-The potency and frequency of special attacks for certain monsters in the following families has been adjusted using a low-level standard. PCs at lower levels will now find these monsters easier to fight:
    Mandragora / Funguars / Crawlers / Lizards

-The following additions and adjustments have been made to the Adventurer Recruitment Program:

* The number of special items obtainable following the 40th day after character creation has been increased.
    * Further special items will now be obtainable from the 70th day after character creation.
    * 70th day special items are available even to those who had already received their 100th and 365th day items.
    * The list of special items now includes the following:
    Dream Boots / Dream Boots +1 / Detonator Belt / Egg Helm / Ibushi Shinai / Ibushi Shinai +1 / Miracle Wand / Miracle Wand +1
    * The choice of items available on the 40th, 100th, and 365th days has been adjusted.
    And I'm sure there are others I didn't notice.

EDIT: also, as I assumed, you can't level sync below 10. Not that you'd really want/need to anyway. It is funny, on the new sync page all the screenshots of the synced party are in Valk :lol:

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    I am really interested to see how the level adjustment of the "starting area" monsters have been changed.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    simsim Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It looks like the all of the original outdoor zones have been changed.

Low level pet HP has been 'adjusted' too. Pet camping always seemed like a cheap tactic to me.

sim on