Options

[FFXI] December Update Patch notes. 1up press interview. KWEH!!?!?!1one

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Race Specific Equipment serves to compensate for stats your race is lacking in. For example, Mithra RSE has a smattering of Strength and Vitality. It is almost never used as a complete set, but rather individual pieces may be used to compliment specific jobs. I used a lot of my RSE for Samurai, but none for Paladin. I could have used the Vitality, but I would have been giving up too much Defense for it. I used a lot of it on White Mage as well.

Edit: I can see why the Hume set wouldn't wow you. Hume's are so well rounded nothing about their set stands out.

Set Summary

* Defense +41
    * HP +48
    * MP +48
    * STR +2
    * DEX +2
    * VIT +2
    * AGI +2
    * INT +2
    * MND +2
    * CHR +2

Mithra is a bit more skewed:

Set Summary

* Defense +41
    * HP +48
    * MP +48
    * STR +4
    * VIT +5
    * MND +3
    * CHR +3

Galka even more so:

Set Summary

* Defense +41
    * MP +96
    * AGI +5
    * INT +6
    * CHR +3

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hrm... How's the Elvaan set look? Does it have Int and Mnd and MP as well?

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Set Summary

* Defense +41
    * HP +36
    * MP +60
    * DEX +5
    * AGI +5
    * INT +4

Elvaan do very well on Mind naturally. Their set wouldn't have it.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Set Summary

* Defense +41
    * HP +36
    * MP +60
    * DEX +5
    * AGI +5
    * INT +4

Elvaan do very well on Mind naturally. Their set wouldn't have it.

Wow... that looks superb for THF. What level is this stuff? :)

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    27 to 33

Edit: And for completeness sake, the Taru set;

Set Summary

* Defense +41
    * HP +89
    * STR +7
    * VIT +4
    * MND +3

And...

Level Armor Piece

27 Magna Gauntlets
    [Hands] E♂
    DEF: 6 MP +24 DEX +2 INT +1
    Lv. 27 All Jobs

29 Magna M Ledelsens
    [Feet] E♂
    DEF: 5 MP +20 AGI +3 INT +2
    Lv. 29 All Jobs

31 Magna M Chausses
    [Legs] E♂
    DEF: 12 HP +12 MP +12 DEX +2 AGI +2
    Lv. 31 All Jobs

33 Magna Jerkin
    [Body] E♂
    DEF: 18 HP +24 MP +4 DEX +1 INT +1
    Lv. 33 All Jobs

The breakdown on your Elvaan armor.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I wish the FFXI ME! Macro application had an export function so I could share my macro set with you all. I am not saying mine is the best, or even all that good, but I do a lot with them that I wish I could easily share with those new to setting up macros in game.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    FFXI ME! ? What's that?

I've been using a combination of in-game Macros and Windower + SpellCast to do things like change my equipment, and use weapon appropriate attacks from a single macro...but if there is a better macro solution out there, I am always willing to take a look.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It is a little thing that allows you to edit your macros from outside the game client. It doesn't do much else.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ahh, okay.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Demitri OmniDemitri Omni Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I mostly use POLUtils for that. Makes it easier to input JP text into macros without crashing the game (IME doesn't always work in the Macro text fields).

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    All up in the dunes.. Synchin'

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I am finally high enough level to wear my entire RSE. It give's me no mind, but the mp boost more than makes up for it. I love my RSE set, but I think the only reason it rocks so hard is because my weaknesses are so glaringly apparent.
    :(
    Galka are so cool.

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hard to argue with 4 more Cure II spells due to the armor.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hard to argue with 4 more Cure II spells due to the armor.

My mind is naturally pretty high. I have noticed a slight drop in how hard my heals cure for, but nothing that negates out the massive MP boost. Not to mention, any subligar is a good subligar.

edit: How often does snow come around in the zones? And which of the three is my best bet for catching it?

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    For White Mages, +MP is much more important. At level 64 I only bother to sport about a + half dozen points of mind.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    For White Mages, +MP is much more important. At level 64 I only bother to sport about a + half dozen points of mind.

When my RSE got level synced to 23, the stats were barely fiddled with at all. This is some good level cap gear.
    Anyone up for Promy-Holla?

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Still waiting on Deet and Zave to get together for a Mea.

Edit: Zave says to go at Deet's convenience, and not wait up.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Still waiting on Deet and Zave to get together for a Mea.

I am down. I'll bring my new shiny gear.

edit: If you need me, grab me on steam. Making breakfast, playing spore, watching movies, and getting some studying done. Probably in that order.

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Might need you for a level synch party if this mage doesn't straghten up!

Edit: Christ, both my mages here are dim bulbs.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So if I go ahead and server transfer, are you guys gonna sync down and get me to 18 so I can get a god damn SJ? Because, I really want one.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Of course

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Alright...if I buy the server transfer credit, do you know if the billing is automatic, or does it not happen until the next bill cycle, like your monthly fees do?

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    yup. hell, I need to level blm which is currently 10, so I might have you sync down to me so we can both beneft. :P

EDIT: Don't know for sure, but for that I would imagine immediate.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Interesting screen captures:
    ffxi_2008.09.10_08.22.22.jpg

ffxi_2008.09.10_15.49.52.jpg

Edit: What is up with my domain?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Since the update went live today, I figured it was a good time to reinstall FFXI on my PC. I'll probably have a bunch of questions since I haven't gone on since about a year ago.

But right now I wanted to know what applications/tweaks I could do to optimize the game, visually speaking. Also, I was wondering if someone finally found a way to increase the font size in the text and menu boxes when playing on a large TV at 1920x1080.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    10-16 in three hours. Nice. I may well get BLM to 20 today so I can shelf that job too.

Anyway I'm not "hip" with mods for FFXI really, I only use a couple registry tweaks Found Here and FFXIStyle Found Here.

For windower and whatnot, there's some info in the OP, otherwise someone else will be able to answer those questions for you.

And for the font size in the text boxes; you can set your overlay (UI) resolution to whatever you want. So even if you're running the game at a high resolution (I run it at 2048x2048, the aspect ratio is handled in-game, so keep your display res at a "square"), you can set your UI to be something like 1440x1024 or something smaller like that. It will make the entire UI bigger though; I don't believe there's a way to ONLY effect the text.

Hope that helps.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Since the update went live today, I figured it was a good time to reinstall FFXI on my PC. I'll probably have a bunch of questions since I haven't gone on since about a year ago.

But right now I wanted to know what applications/tweaks I could do to optimize the game, visually speaking. Also, I was wondering if someone finally found a way to increase the font size in the text and menu boxes when playing on a large TV at 1920x1080.

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=1089735902216382834&num=3

If you are a bad enough dude to edit your registry, this page explains how.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Demitri OmniDemitri Omni Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Alright...if I buy the server transfer credit, do you know if the billing is automatic, or does it not happen until the next bill cycle, like your monthly fees do?

I would honestly just recreate the character on that content ID. 20 isn't that terribly hard to get to, even starting out, and anything below that probably isn't worth the 25 bucks.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm pretty comfortable with registry hacking, but for a resolution of 1920x1080, what would I set it to for a bigger text size/menu? And would this value have to be changed if I switch back to a lower resolution, like 1440x900 (PC monitor)?

• Options
    edited September 2008
    GnomeTank wrote: »

I would honestly just recreate the character on that content ID. 20 isn't that terribly hard to get to, even starting out, and anything below that probably isn't worth the 25 bucks.

he said awhile back that some guy gave him a bunch of money on that server; he probably wants to keep that.
    I'm pretty comfortable with registry hacking, but for a resolution of 1920x1080, what would I set it to for a bigger text size/menu? And would this value have to be changed if I switch back to a lower resolution, like 1440x900 (PC monitor)?

Just set it for 1440x900 then. Or lower, either way. Test a few options out. You don't need to reg hack the UI, it has everything your monitor can handle (i think) right in the config tool.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    You mean set the UI to 1440x900 and keep it for both resolutions (1440x900, 1920x1080)?

• Options
    edited September 2008
    You mean set the UI to 1440x900 and keep it for both resolutions (1440x900, 1920x1080)?

Sure, if you like that particular resolution. I personally love the 1920x1200 res for my UI. I have a 28" lcd and it's totally readable and keeps the UI out of the way. Whenever I play on the 360 in fights it's like the UI envelops the entire screen. So I use the 360 for questing and such, PC for parties.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Ok, level sync has now created a problem that irritates the holy hell out of me.

At what point did players decide that it was in any way ok to set up camp right on top of an already existing camp; where it doesn't even support more than one party to begin with?

And even if it did, just a bit slower, why is it all the sudden acceptable to do this? If you mention it to the "new" party, they just act as if you're saying the stupidest thing in the world.

Because it makes so much sense to fuck up the XP of both parties to be assholes.

Great.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Well, you're bringing up an issue that crops up with every XP related update. Only thing you can do is wait for the grinding drive to fizzle out, which usually happens in about a week or two.

I'm looking at these registry guides, but I don't see anything that tells me how to change the UI. Where can I do this?

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Well, you're bringing up an issue that crops up with every XP related update. Only thing you can do is wait for the grinding drive to fizzle out, which usually happens in about a week or two.

I'm looking at these registry guides, but I don't see anything that tells me how to change the UI. Where can I do this?

I don't think you can. I don't know anything that provides that kind of functionality. You can change the size of windower plugins but only the plugins. The main UI itself can't be size adjusted.
    The 360 version has a irritatingly large UI if that peaks your interest. I assume because it's meant to be displayed on a television. If you have one account you can log onto whatever format. Just use your original POL id.

Smashism on
  • Options
    GrinninBarrettGrinninBarrett Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ok, level sync has now created a problem that irritates the holy hell out of me.

At what point did players decide that it was in any way ok to set up camp right on top of an already existing camp; where it doesn't even support more than one party to begin with?

And even if it did, just a bit slower, why is it all the sudden acceptable to do this? If you mention it to the "new" party, they just act as if you're saying the stupidest thing in the world.

Because it makes so much sense to fuck up the XP of both parties to be assholes.

Great.

This is basically the norm at merit camps unless you go somewhere weird like Uleguerand Range

If you guys are still doing the static/LS group thing I'd suggest going to non-mainstream camps, but that's a bit hard to organize with a pickup group at lower levels

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Smashism wrote: »

I don't think you can. I don't know anything that provides that kind of functionality. You can change the size of windower plugins but only the plugins. The main UI itself can't be size adjusted.
    The 360 version has a irritatingly large UI if that peaks your interest. I assume because it's meant to be displayed on a television. If you have one account you can log onto whatever format. Just use your original POL id.

o_O

It's right in the FFXI config.

We're talking about the PC version right? That's the only one you can fiddle with the registry; but you don't need to touch the registry to change the UI resolution (though you can).

Go to your FFXI folder in the start menu and select the "Final Fantasy XI Config" program. Second tab, "Screen Size". "Overlay Graphics Resolution" is what you want. Don't touch the background resolution if you've already changed it in the registry; it will try to default back to a lower base resolution (256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024). It should list everything your monitor can handle. Just select the res you want from the scroll down box and save and run the game to test it out.

Keep in mind you can only run this program when you're totally out of FFXI/POL.

EDIT: Completely unrelated; if anyone wants a free Scroll of Earth Spirit (SMN spell, lvl 1 like all the spirits) let me know. I bought a bunch in Norg to sell in Jeuno (you can buy them for 450, AH them for 4-5k), but they're taking longer than I'd like to pawn off. And they're Rare so it just makes it a huge hassle and I won't do that again.

Anyway, I have 4 left I think, if you want one just let me know and I'll drop it in the mail to you.

Also, Bri, do we give mules LS's in Lostlegends?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    I've been using FFXI Config, but isn't overlay graphics resolution just uh...changing the resolution of the game itself, and not the actual menu and text font? I'll just admit I'm confused with the difference between overlay graphics resolution and background resolution. Most PC games only have one type of resolution to change....

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Overlay is just the UI.

Background resolution is the game itself.

If you're changing the overlay it should never change the games resolution itself; only the UI. If it is, I"m not sure why. Just make sure you're not hitting the Background resolution box.

Also, if you're trying to change the overlay resolution through the registry, the numbers are off. It's numbers 1 and 2. If you want 1440x900 (what I have my backup pc set to) it's "5a0" for 1 and "384" for 2. Hex.

I like that it is separate, it lets you run the game on a lower end PC without the UI being massive and huge; alternately you can run it at a really high resolution but make the UI large if you want.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Interesting. So if I want larger text on a high background resolution (say, 1920x1080), I set the overlay resolution lower than the background resolution?