As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXI] December Update Patch notes. 1up press interview. KWEH!!?!?!1one

• XhaztolXhaztol Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Look, for like five months I've been back with my WoW buddies hanging out till Wrath. There was a loarge falling out in my LS on FFXI, one guy sold his account just to be rid of the game, but this... this new announcement is making me really happy.

It means I can actually play this game *gasp* more casually.

It means I don't have to feel bad leaving a party in 45 minutes because they can replace me, more than likely, IMMEDIATELY

It means statics can continue without each other if they've got more free time, and just pop back down to their lowest member.

God, FFXI, why didn't you do this years ago? :( I'll be re-subbing when this update goes live. By the way, does anyone know when that is? Sometime in September? I've been thinking about this for like 24 hours straight

Xhaztol on
    kalamari.jpg
  • XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just a heads up; my anti-virus just caught a password stealer off Vana'diel Atlas.

Be careful.

Yeah, to expand on this, FFXI-Atlas is infected with a flash exploit entering through iframes on the site. So far it seems to be IE only. Regardless, you should all run FireFox with NoScript and Flashblock if you're going to browse FFXI-related sites.

Xhero on
  • SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Xhero wrote: »
    Just a heads up; my anti-virus just caught a password stealer off Vana'diel Atlas.

Be careful.

Yeah, to expand on this, FFXI-Atlas is infected with a flash exploit entering through iframes on the site. So far it seems to be IE only. Regardless, you should all run FireFox with NoScript and Flashblock if you're going to browse FFXI-related sites.

I thought this attack on FFXI related sites would be over now. Well, stay vigilant internet surfers.
    You will never take me or my account alive! Never, mwahahahah!

Smashism on
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I finally got my Support Job (yay!) Thanks to Kingshand and Sageofhalo. Now I've got a full set of Scale (level 10 armor) that I won't need for about a month. (For when I unlock BLU and start taking it up.) If anyone needs it, it's just taking up room in my house for awhile, you're welcome to use it.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Eticket109Eticket109 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Smashism wrote: »
    Xhero wrote: »

Be careful.

I thought this attack on FFXI related sites would be over now. Well, stay vigilant internet surfers.
    You will never take me or my account alive! Never, mwahahahah!

They'll keep trying it as long as it keeps getting them accounts.

Eticket109 on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    I use ffxiclopedia for my maps. Same maps and everything, little more secure of a website.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited August 2008
    Dyvion wrote: »
    So I finally got my Support Job (yay!) Thanks to Kingshand and Sageofhalo. Now I've got a full set of Scale (level 10 armor) that I won't need for about a month. (For when I unlock BLU and start taking it up.) If anyone needs it, it's just taking up room in my house for awhile, you're welcome to use it.

If you have a full set of scale taking up space you need, trade it all to an NPC like Taulenne who will hold it for you. Talk to her to get it back, for a usually small fee.

Xhero on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    nah he tried. they don't take armor that low level apparently

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    He asked because my price for the armor was that he pass it along to someone in the linkshell that needed it when he was done with it.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited August 2008
    He asked because my price for the armor was that he pass it along to someone in the linkshell that needed it when he was done with it.

I'm being a good little apprentice. And yeah, min level for armor storage is 24 :(

Dyvion on
    edited August 2008

I'm being a good little apprentice. And yeah, min level for armor storage is 24 :(

Ah, yeah, I just saw that. Sowwy.

Xhero on
    edited August 2008
    I love me some fishing!
    ffxi_2008.08.26_01.30.26.JPG

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited August 2008
    I love me some fishing! Image: Bri Double Dipping.

I ran into a quest in Selbina that requires fishing... ended up using 48... whatever that really cheap bait is that is available in Selbina. I probably should have read up on fishing before I tried it... broke 6 lines in a row before I realized it was a mini game and then had to figure out the whole left/right thing. Got my skill up to 1 (yay?) but no fat greedie for Oswald. I think Selbina isn't a very good place to skill up 0 fishing. Eventually I'm going to clear my inventory and fill it up with bait and camp out in ronfaure and get fishing exhaustion.

tl;dr - I love me some fishing, too.

Edit: I took the liberty of going through your images there, because I can actually get there from work and mid shift is completely dead right now... anyway, Elvaan Female Red Mage looks NICE. PZ in full gear... donno if it's epic or artifact or whatever, but she looks hot in that outfit. If you mind me linking please lemme know.
    ffxi_2008.08.22_06.34.24.JPG

Edit2: Bri's not lookin bad either... in her white frills.

Dyvion on
    edited August 2008
    That is Relic, and it was PZ's dress I borrowed for the capture.

Edit: Well, the body armor is relic. The pants are from Aht Urghan, but I don't know what they are called.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited August 2008
    I'm pretty sure that's the RDM Relic armor. EDIT: Beat'd

Also, apparently what I told you earlier about having bst as a sub was incorrect; based on what I was reading on the wiki. I'm fairly certain though at launch it was set so you couldn't charm anything higher than the level of your bst as a sub (so 37 at the highest); this appears to not be the case anymore. As long as your bst is 75, if it's a sub, even though it's 37 you can still charm a 75. however I guess you take a fairly large CHR hit having it as sub so it's pretty hard to charm.

Anyway, take that for what you will.

Totally unrelated I was reading the news in POL for XI about the task force stuff and I kind of don't understand the whole RMT thing. I assume it stands for "real money traders"? But one of the areas of reports and bannings was "Synthesis and AH use for RMT"; what does this mean? I get the AH part, price fixing, trying to hide money transfers etc; but what about synthesis? That doesn't really make sense to me.

Anyway, i think it's awesome that SE is so proactive about banning these people. If you look back on the POL site, damn near every month for the last year and longer they've banned 5-10k thousand accounts a month for RMT activities. Go SE!

The Dude With Herpes on

edited August 2008
    It means selling in game goods and services (crafting) for real money.

Edit: And the whole reason all the item values have gone into such a nose dive is that Square removed billions of gil from circulation every month.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited August 2008

Edit: And the whole reason all the item values have gone into such a nose dive is that Square removed billions of gil from circulation every month.

:^:

The Dude With Herpes on

edited August 2008

:^:

I can't lime a thumbs up.

Dyvion on
    edited August 2008
    Today's NPC of the day:

Kagetora_(S).jpg

A ninja, who when in battle fights alongside "clones" of himself using the ninja magics.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited August 2008
    Today's NPC of the day: A ninja, who when in battle fights alongside "clones" of himself using the ninja magics.

So... do you fight him? Or do you fight along side him?

Dyvion on
    edited August 2008
    He is a Freelance Campaign NPC during the time of the Crystal Wars, and coincidentally he can be located in Current-day Port Bastock.

You can influence him to fight on behalf of your nation during Campaign battles.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I was gonna give this a try last night (again), but I lost my stupid PlayNow ID or whatever it is you need. Why couldn't they use regular login names and passwords like every other company in the world?

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Demitri OmniDemitri Omni Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I was gonna give this a try last night (again), but I lost my stupid PlayNow ID or whatever it is you need. Why couldn't they use regular login names and passwords like every other company in the world?
    Because it was a new and innovative system at the time, I guess.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • GrinninBarrettGrinninBarrett Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Today's NPC of the day: A ninja, who when in battle fights alongside "clones" of himself using the ninja magics.

So... do you fight him? Or do you fight along side him?

Ain't got nothin' on yagudo ninjas

Gesshos.jpg

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    That is Relic, and it was PZ's dress I borrowed for the capture.

Edit: Well, the body armor is relic. The pants are from Aht Urghan, but I don't know what they are called.

The legs are either Yigit (from Assault) or Nashira (from Proto-Ultima in limbus).

As far as fishing goes, cities are decent for skill up til the mid 20s or so. In fact if you only use insect paste you can skill up to about 52 off of the various carp in sandy or windy. It's also a great way to work up to the Lu Shang rod if you're interested in it.

Eticket109 on
    edited August 2008
    Yet again, I fucking die trying to get my Temple of Uggalepih coffer. Stupid fucking doors in the middle of like 5 sight detecting mobs.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2008
    Gobbie bag quests

So expensive...

Edit: And there are currently no fisherman's pants on auction!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited August 2008
    So I'm leveling my Thief now, currently 11/5 THF/WAR. The survivability is MUCH higher with WAR as a sub job. (Now I just need a way to make money reliably so I can keep in decent gear)

Also, I offed Jaggedy-Eared Jack last night, after camping the area for about an hour. No drops at all. Was trying for a second kill and two other people showed up in the area, I'm pretty sure one of them snagged that wascally wabbit cause I was there for an hour and a half and never saw it again. Grrr. Regular versions of mobs should have like a .1 or less chance to drop the items NM's drop. At least make it -possible-. Guess this is a mechanic I should get used to if I'm going to really get involved with this though. Hey, since they're adding the level sync system, maybe they'll be making other wonderful drastic changes as well.

Would anyone be opposed to the idea of normal versions of mobs having at least a tiny possibility of dropping the rare/exclusive loot that NM's drop?

Dyvion on
    edited August 2008
    So I'm leveling my Thief now, currently 11/5 THF/WAR. The survivability is MUCH higher with WAR as a sub job. (Now I just need a way to make money reliably so I can keep in decent gear)

Also, I offed Jaggedy-Eared Jack last night, after camping the area for about an hour. No drops at all. Was trying for a second kill and two other people showed up in the area, I'm pretty sure one of them snagged that wascally wabbit cause I was there for an hour and a half and never saw it again. Grrr. Regular versions of mobs should have like a .1 or less chance to drop the items NM's drop. At least make it -possible-. Guess this is a mechanic I should get used to if I'm going to really get involved with this though. Hey, since they're adding the level sync system, maybe they'll be making other wonderful drastic changes as well.

Would anyone be opposed to the idea of normal versions of mobs having at least a tiny possibility of dropping the rare/exclusive loot that NM's drop?

I would be fine with that, though I'd just prefer that they put all NMs on timed spawns.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2008
    I would prefer if all NM's were triggered.

Horrible Top of page.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited August 2008
    This catching fish shit is fucking hard sometimes.

I wish I could fish with a spear, because sometimes I just want to wade in and stab the little bastards.

BITCH! My finger slipped on the enter key and I broke my line. Bye bye shrimp lure.

Edit: Fishing is the leading cause of coprolalia.

Further Edit: I want to do the BCNM60 "Up In Arms"

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited August 2008
    I swear to god that person who had the Kraken Club did absolutely no damage in the campaign battle with it.

It was just an enormous spam of 0's and misses.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2008

Jack's drop rate is about .5% as it is. lol

I hate that little fuzzball.

I would prefer if all NM's were triggered.

Horrible Top of page.

I have mixed feelings on that. I like popped NMs in general, but it takes away the thrill of the hunt as well. Then again, I have a rather unhealthy obsession with some of the rarer NMs in the game.

Eticket109 on
    edited August 2008
    Eticket109 wrote: »
    I have mixed feelings on that. I like popped NMs in general, but it takes away the thrill of the hunt as well. Then again, I have a rather unhealthy obsession with some of the rarer NMs in the game.

Keep the random world monsters in, and even let them keep their horrible drop rates. Hell, even give titles for people who kill them.

But put an alternate way in for getting the equipment that they drop for people with real lives.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited August 2008
    At least most of them are in Nyzul now.

Granted, the shitty drop rate is now a shitty appraisal rate... but it's at least easier overall.

I've seen dual Rabbit Charm and dual Peacock Amulet loot pools from Nyzul before. Then again, I've seen a lot more dual Feather Collar loot pools. >.>

Eticket109 on
    edited August 2008
    Helpful tip: Any job that uses MP should get "MP recovered while healing +" gear; what ever they can equip, and as soon as they can get it. Here is a list of stuff that helps with this, including foods.

A great place to start is the Pilgrim tunica, equip-able at level 1. Make a macro to hit to gear-swap this stuff in when you heal, and another macro to swap in your normal equipment when you stand again.
    ffxi_2008.08.28_14.55.22.JPG

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • simsim Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Has there been any word on a new squenix mmo?

sim on
    edited August 2008
    sim wrote: »
    Has there been any word on a new squenix mmo?

Yes it has been announced. Some casual mmo.
    Not much buzz on it because I don't think people care that much about it. I think we were expecting something more grand in scale.

Smashism on
    edited August 2008
    Well there was the tech demo they showed off like 3 years ago for the 360; since then there's been rumors of a ps3/windows mmo but afaik nothing has been actually announced. Then there's a story on 1up about it being possibly not on ps3 at all.

So, no real announcement aside from "yes we're working on a next-gen MMO" in roundabout words; that's about it.

EDIT: Also that thread title isn't even ironic funny. :P

It's likely to send people off into seizures remembering past horrors before it elicits a chuckle.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited August 2008
    Well there was the tech demo they showed off like 3 years ago for the 360; since then there's been rumors of a ps3/windows mmo but afaik nothing has been actually announced. Then there's a story on 1up about it being possibly not on ps3 at all.

So, no real announcement aside from "yes we're working on a next-gen MMO" in roundabout words; that's about it.

EDIT: Also that thread title isn't even ironic funny. :P

It's likely to send people off into seizures remembering past horrors before it elicits a chuckle.

I think that ended up being FFXII or something. I could be wrong.
    Anyways this is the new MMO that SE has just announced.
    http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/19412

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/19412

Smashism on