As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXI] December Update Patch notes. 1up press interview. KWEH!!?!?!1one

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is it worth coming back now? I've figured out that Blizzard doesn't want my money anymore so /goodbye WoW and it's been about a year since I left FFXI.

I've been keeping an eye on this update and researched the past few. I'm guessing SE is still hit or miss with buffs/nerfs, but the major question is, does the economy still suck balls on most servers? Time to check out FFXIAH I suppose.

Well that depends on what you mean by suck balls. It's not super inflated any more...

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    Is it worth coming back now? I've figured out that Blizzard doesn't want my money anymore so /goodbye WoW and it's been about a year since I left FFXI.

I've been keeping an eye on this update and researched the past few. I'm guessing SE is still hit or miss with buffs/nerfs, but the major question is, does the economy still suck balls on most servers? Time to check out FFXIAH I suppose.

Well that depends on what you mean by suck balls. It's not super inflated any more...

Yea just glancing at prices it seems SE's purging of RMT and the like has made stuff drop even more over the course of the year. Doesn't seem too bad, the idea of 10 stacks of silk thread buys you a scorp harness has a smirk on my face, that's funny, especially since the thread per stack is selling for the same amount while the harness costed 3mil+ during the padded cap capped gil on several characters bs of yesteryear.

Is Fields of Valor worth actively doing? Also do people actually use Level Sync?

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    LilithiumLilithium __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Is Fields of Valor worth actively doing? Also do people actually use Level Sync?

Fields of Valor is alright. It's not going to replace the exp party, but with my experience with it, it's something nice to do while you kill time between exp parties. As far as Level Sync is concerned, you have no goddamn idea how many people use that. Sometimes people have notes up, "34+ Level Sync only", along those lines, but more often than not, you'll find some 66 happy enough to come to Valkurm Dunes and relive Hell with you.

Lilithium on
    What's that ringing? Ting-ting-a-linging in my head~? Oh, you're always there, making me whole. You're always waiting up for me. You're my first kiss, ever so pure, and ever so defiling, once lost, can never be the same. Fuck me. Violate me. Deny me.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Lilithium wrote: »

Fields of Valor is alright. It's not going to replace the exp party, but with my experience with it, it's something nice to do while you kill time between exp parties. As far as Level Sync is concerned, you have no goddamn idea how many people use that. Sometimes people have notes up, "34+ Level Sync only", along those lines, but more often than not, you'll find some 66 happy enough to come to Valkurm Dunes and relive Hell with you.

Well it's not hell when they can unsync when shit hits the fan or just to raise the party. Moogles in selbina made that place a lot more tolerable too, i have no clue why they didn't add those like 3 years ago though.
    They have done a lot of good things recently to make leveling less painful, i just wish they had done them sooner :/

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Lilithium wrote: »

Well it's not hell when they can unsync when shit hits the fan or just to raise the party. Moogles in selbina made that place a lot more tolerable too, i have no clue why they didn't add those like 3 years ago though.
    They have done a lot of good things recently to make leveling less painful, i just wish they had done them sooner :/

Yeah, I have my copy of FFXI Online sitting on my desktop. I want to pick it up again, but I am so terrified of the addiction to it. Although, when I played back in December, I got a Monk to 30 in less than four days, so..

Lilithium on
    What's that ringing? Ting-ting-a-linging in my head~? Oh, you're always there, making me whole. You're always waiting up for me. You're my first kiss, ever so pure, and ever so defiling, once lost, can never be the same. Fuck me. Violate me. Deny me.
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Level Sync is probably the best reason to come back. I love it. My biggest problem with this game was waiting for-fucking-ever for a party invite. Sometimes it was because there were little to no partys formed at my level and it made it a bitch. This now makes it so you have such a better chance to get an invite since you can practically level up with any level that is < or = to your level. I think since I've been back (1 1/2 months or so) every party I'm in uses level sync. There was even a party where everyone was within 2 levels of each other and they synced the level to the lowest leveled party member to improve EXP.

Trust me, if you come back you're going to love it. I quit a year ago, and I don't see myself quitting for any long periods of time soon. Maybe a few weeks to a month or two.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Patching

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    It feels so good to be back in the game.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So, word on the grapevine is that the update has stealth-nerfed enfeeble durations across the board. Dynamis and HNM mobs resisting sleep is pretty rough.

That may explain why bunnies and lizards in the Cape Terrigan FoV I did yesterday kept instantly breaking bind and gravity.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    First cut scene for crystalline prophecy is pretty cool.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh, and to put it simply, Vana'diel Easter can go suck it.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well all of that sounds really excellent actually. I've been reading the enfeeble "nerf" on a couple sites and I'm wondering why SE would do that. It seems like if they wanted to make some end game harder that this would hinder up and comers more than established LSes. I guess that's true for any endgame nerf.

You guys have really given me some hope to jump back in, although since it's already the 12th of the month, I'll probably wait until May since I'm sure SE still doesn't prorate/bill on the right day only at the turn of the month.

Oh and MMM? I'm hearing nerfs, was it decent to begin with?

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Oh, and to put it simply, Vana'diel Easter can go suck it.

If you don't buy eggs and just party with people when you talk to the moogle it is enjoyable. If your partner has the hat on you get the first two letters of their name.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    On an unrelated note, playing the bell is amusing. Need to get some peeps together to play a full chord, and the bells only cover one octave, so that limits what you can pound out, but it is still amusing.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well all of that sounds really excellent actually. I've been reading the enfeeble "nerf" on a couple sites and I'm wondering why SE would do that. It seems like if they wanted to make some end game harder that this would hinder up and comers more than established LSes. I guess that's true for any endgame nerf.

You guys have really given me some hope to jump back in, although since it's already the 12th of the month, I'll probably wait until May since I'm sure SE still doesn't prorate/bill on the right day only at the turn of the month.

One theory about the enfeeble duration nerf (which, while being quite stupid and convoluted, is not something I'd put past Square to implement) is that it's to encourage the use of melee Red Mages using their new Enspell IIs in order to debuff mob resistances to elements, and thus have enfeebles last longer. Of course, nobody will ever do that, and instead opt to bring more Bards/Black Mages/Red Mages/whatever along. So yeah, it does nothing to all the e-peen HNM linkshells out there, but it renders Dynamis farming for my tiny little casual linkshell who is lucky to field 12 people once a week pretty much impossible.

As for MMM, it's pretty decent, but only a few servers were really active with it, and they ran it so much that they managed to get hundreds of moblin marbles per day and so have an absolute ton saved up. Now, if you or your LS is just starting to do them, you have a very, very long uphill climb, since I think you get single-digit marble amounts per default maze run, and you need at least 100 marbles per purchase. It's quite silly, and I'm having a very hard time persuading my LS to even run one round of mazes in order to get us started accumulating CC points. In order to get marble rewards similar to pre-nerf levels, you have to go several days without running a maze. Or, well, at least a maze that's not yours.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm not too big of a fan of the Easter event. It's not as fun as the other events.

Lilithium on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    korodullin wrote: »

One theory about the enfeeble duration nerf (which, while being quite stupid and convoluted, is not something I'd put past Square to implement) is that it's to encourage the use of melee Red Mages using their new Enspell IIs in order to debuff mob resistances to elements, and thus have enfeebles last longer. Of course, nobody will ever do that, and instead opt to bring more Bards/Black Mages/Red Mages/whatever along. So yeah, it does nothing to all the e-peen HNM linkshells out there, but it renders Dynamis farming for my tiny little casual linkshell who is lucky to field 12 people once a week pretty much impossible.

As for MMM, it's pretty decent, but only a few servers were really active with it, and they ran it so much that they managed to get hundreds of moblin marbles per day and so have an absolute ton saved up. Now, if you or your LS is just starting to do them, you have a very, very long uphill climb, since I think you get single-digit marble amounts per default maze run, and you need at least 100 marbles per purchase. It's quite silly, and I'm having a very hard time persuading my LS to even run one round of mazes in order to get us started accumulating CC points. In order to get marble rewards similar to pre-nerf levels, you have to go several days without running a maze. Or, well, at least a maze that's not yours.

I would assume the nerf is because it made keeping some HNM debuffed too easy. Like ixion who really isn't supposed to get debuffed, so 2 rdm with /blm can rotate e.seal and keep slow2 on it the whole time.
    Also sleeping stuff in dynamis seems like it would be too easy.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Failure to sleep things in Dynamis means 36 people take a dirt nap.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    More like success at diagaing things in dynamis.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Finally hit 75 Scholar, no thanks to the parties who haven't bothered to invite me in the past two weeks.

Also, apparently what was changed were mobs are getting more resistance to stuff they're strong against, rather than just a blanket enfeeble nerf (it's just purely coincidental that it so happens to pretty much halve most enfeeble durations). Crabs and Quadav will more easily resist water-based attacks than they used to, for instance.

Of course, I haven't observed this in the other direction: that is, stuff taking more damage from the element they're supposedly weaker to. So there seems to be no real point to doing, say Water IV on an Orc rather than Thunder or Blizzard.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    That would be cool if they did take more because using thunder and ice for everything is lame. Good news for scholar too since all their helix are of equal power and that would just make them buffer. Though still bad news for sleeping stuff in dynamis :P

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    That would be cool if they did take more because using thunder and ice for everything is lame. Good news for scholar too since all their helix are of equal power and that would just make them buffer. Though still bad news for sleeping stuff in dynamis :P

Here we go:
    Did a very easy, yet extremely eye opening test that completely backs up this idea of automatic half resist on elemental strengths.

I took my 75 RDM mule out to Qufim and Chainspell Water I'd an Acropolis (Leech Family, resistance to water).

20 water Is, ALL 29 damage (1/2 resist).

Prior to the patch, you could 'overwhelm' the innate elemental resistance of the mob if you were just that much higher level than it. For instance, I could get lucky and nuke a crab with water, and it would still do full damage. Given that 230 Ele. Skill can't land a single non-resist on a lvl30 mob now, I would say this is no longer the case!

Early conclusion for this is simply that SE has FINALLY made magic users take into account elemental strengths and weaknesses. You still don't get a damage bonus for using an element the mob is weak to, but you will get the penalty for nuking/enfeebling against the mob's element.

This would explain why you can't full duration Elegy Cerb. (strong to earth), why you get 1/2 resists on ES Sleep on bombs and bats, and why brothers ENM gives you the same 1/2 resist (taurus dark strength).

(To back this up, if someone wants to take a BRD/BLM and ES lullaby a bat, I can bank on that duration being full due to the fact bats have no light resist)

Emphasis theirs.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Nice change though i wish they got a slight bonus for using what it's weak to.

TheStig on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's like they're trying to phase out black mages

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Arcibi wrote: »
    It's like they're trying to phase out black mages

For partying yeah, but they still have a dominate place in end game damage, i think with AM2 this change doesn't really effect them much, though a few will probably have to rework their merits to include more of them.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So, finally got around to doing some MMM with my linkshell. They killed marble rewards. I mean outright killed. A default blank Sanitization Team Alpha kill all map? 8 marbles. Two of my LS mates had the Lost and Found rune placed in for extra loot, which brought our marble counts for those two maps down to 4, even though one of them had the rune placed that lowers the time limit and other various difficulty-increasing stuff. I ran us through one of the new maps (Sanitization Team Gamma, the Nyzul-like kill-all with five floors and whatnot) and got us 9. We then did one more Team Alpha, but with no runes on the map at all.

So, for a night that would normally net us around 60-70 marbles, we got about 25. Sure sucks to be any LS who doesn't already have about 5000 marbles worth of runes collected.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    WootloopsWootloops Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So, a few LS members and I were trying to get the Zilart missions out of the way so we would finally have access to Sky. It all went pretty smooth with none of the fights really being a pain until the 2nd to last one on Zm8 in Delkfutts Tower. It wasn't really the fight that was the issue, but the 80 something assholes in the zone as well trying to do some BCNM that came with the new expansion. That's 80 different people on average spamming the door trying to get in to do the same BCNM over and over. SE, the genius', only allow 3 parties into an instance like that at a time. It was fucking ridiculous. I'm positive some assholes were botting. RDM just walked to the top of the group and got in 3 times in a row. There's really no reason there needs to be a queue for this type of shit, each party should have their own instance.

Lazy ass SE.

Wootloops on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I got 59 on my THF last night. Pretty excited about that. Just 16 more levels till I get my first 75. :)

Also, I looked last night at when I activated my account, and it was March 27th 2004. I've had this game for nearly 5 years and played it off and on. Granted this character I'm on now was made about 2 years ago, but still. Sad, huh?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Just don't ask what Ormi's /playtime is.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Mine's over 110 days

Granted, a lot of that is probably overnight bazaaring

But still

Arcibi on
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Reinstalled everything and patched to find out that, uh, I apparently have been subscribed all this time. I should really keep better track of my finances.

Partied some of my BLU in Qufim, getting mad invites because I was low and ohmygawd the higher peeps want that. Then switched to my 35 cor and did some syncing in the same area.

I love being Cor. It's so rape, even without pewpew guns.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Dac wrote: »
    Reinstalled everything and patched to find out that, uh, I apparently have been subscribed all this time. I should really keep better track of my finances.

Partied some of my BLU in Qufim, getting mad invites because I was low and ohmygawd the higher peeps want that. Then switched to my 35 cor and did some syncing in the same area.

I love being Cor. It's so rape, even without pewpew guns.

Yeah, the level sync has really helped out in those situations when you were the lowest one in an area searching. It used to be like "no point in inviting that lvl20, we have 2 lvl 23s in the pt, it will just slow us"
    not it's like "holy shit grab that lvl20 so we can sync back down for max xp"

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hey guys, guess who hit level 75 on dragoon last night

(Me. I did)

Arcibi on
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009

(Me. I did)

Cool! Now go level samurai so you can be useful.
    kidding :P

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

(Me. I did)

I just did the DRG job quest today. So I've got 3 or 4 more job quests left to do before I've got them all. :)

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I started my free trial over on Asura, but I'm having a bit of a graphical issue. I'm running the programs and mods suggested in the OP, but about once a minute the game locks up for a few seconds, then rushes to catch up. I can't tell if its a lag issue or a hardware issue (my specs are more than adequate for the game). Is it a common problem? Any solutions past the basic defraging and not running other programs?

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    DoctorGateuxDoctorGateux Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Maaan I never thought I'd encounter a more frustrating fight than AU44, but the ACP final is pretty bloody close :|

DoctorGateux on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    SightTDW wrote: »
    I started my free trial over on Asura, but I'm having a bit of a graphical issue. I'm running the programs and mods suggested in the OP, but about once a minute the game locks up for a few seconds, then rushes to catch up. I can't tell if its a lag issue or a hardware issue (my specs are more than adequate for the game). Is it a common problem? Any solutions past the basic defraging and not running other programs?

How does the game play for you unmodded?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I want to get a job to level 75 as quickly as possible. I realize it's a lot faster to level now, so in two months, I could be 75 with any job. I'm so out of whack with this game. It's like I have PTSD from all the years spent killing bees.

Lilithium on
  • Options
    XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Maaan I never thought I'd encounter a more frustrating fight than AU44, but the ACP final is pretty bloody close :|

Hey, I'm not getting the "scenario", but from what I understand it's worth every penny in comedy value. Hell, when I heard that rangers were the only TP-users allowed in, that made me think of WAR/RNG, and from there, the Aggressive Aim merit, which gave me a good chuckle.
    Just don't ask what Ormi's /playtime is.

;_;

Xhero on