As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXI] December Update Patch notes. 1up press interview. KWEH!!?!?!1one

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Xhero wrote: »
    Maaan I never thought I'd encounter a more frustrating fight than AU44, but the ACP final is pretty bloody close :|

Hey, I'm not getting the "scenario", but from what I understand it's worth every penny in comedy value. Hell, when I heard that rangers were the only TP-users allowed in, that made me think of WAR/RNG, and from there, the Aggressive Aim merit, which gave me a good chuckle.
    Just don't ask what Ormi's /playtime is.

;_;

Some MMO needs to put an inverse /playtime in where you type in /rlplaytime and it tells you how much time you haven't been logged in.

I think it would be sobering to many people. :lol:

Yes, definitely myself included.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I had a ridiculous playtime but I think at least half of it was bazaaring stuff outside jeuno.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    I had a ridiculous playtime but I think at least half of it was bazaaring stuff outside jeuno.

I hate bazaaring. I really wish they'd do something so you don't have to leave some bazaar mule logged in overnight. Maybe do something EQ2-style and have a bazaar board your moogle can put stuff on and people can browse bazaars from their houses.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    korodullin wrote: »

I hate bazaaring. I really wish they'd do something so you don't have to leave some bazaar mule logged in overnight. Maybe do something EQ2-style and have a bazaar board your moogle can put stuff on and people can browse bazaars from their houses.

Now I'm imagining Kingdom of Loathing style player stores

And loving the idea

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Never played it, please describe?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Never played it, please describe?

There's a place in the game called The Mall of Loathing

You CAN browse a list of player-run stores but that'll usually get you nowhere

So instead, you go for the search by item option, and it shows the stores that have the best prices for that item

Arcibi on
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    It would never happen unless they wanted to scrap the whole AH system.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    SightTDW wrote: »
    I started my free trial over on Asura, but I'm having a bit of a graphical issue. I'm running the programs and mods suggested in the OP, but about once a minute the game locks up for a few seconds, then rushes to catch up. I can't tell if its a lag issue or a hardware issue (my specs are more than adequate for the game). Is it a common problem? Any solutions past the basic defraging and not running other programs?

How does the game play for you unmodded?

The problem existed before I started running the mods.

Looking around I did notice some talk of driver issues, but they seemed fairly case by case. I'm currently running a Radeon X1950 Pro with Catalyst 9.3.

The stalling isn't game-breaking, but it is definitely an annoyance. If I have to ride it out until my next hardware upgrade, then I suppose that's that.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    DNC may be the most fun job I've ever played. It's so easy to solo after you get Drain Samba. My THF may be put on hold for a bit while I level this job.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    After a million years of nobody ever wanting to do CoP 2-3 (the minotaur fight), I finally completed it this weekend

I think I like Prishe solely for her line about "a giant goddamn dragon"

The Chebukkis, however, can go to hell

I'm barely into this storyline at all and already they're irritating as fuck

Arcibi on
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Amusingly, my LS' Team B CoP "static" stopped immediately after 2-3 because our shellholder has the attention span of a hummingbird on PCP when it comes to doing storyline missions.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So uh

I'm 0/4 on the ACP final boss now

On that last run, we had it down to one goddamn motherfucking percent HP, and ran out of time

I kind of wanted to find the nearest living thing and kill it, I'll admit

Arcibi on
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    And people wonder why 1up gave it an F.

Don't you have to spend the better part of a day re-farming that stuff?

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009

wow, that review was pretty bad though i can't say i'm surprised. That's part of the reason why I stopped playing, after 2 expansions, toau and wotg being released in a horribly unfinished state I no longer looked forward to any future expansions. They still haven't added all the wotg missions have they?

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Don't you have to spend the better part of a day re-farming that stuff?

More like the better part of thirty minutes

(doesn't make it any less annoying though)

Arcibi on
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009

wow, that review was pretty bad though i can't say i'm surprised. That's part of the reason why I stopped playing, after 2 expansions, toau and wotg being released in a horribly unfinished state I no longer looked forward to any future expansions. They still haven't added all the wotg missions have they?

They added a few more WotG missions with the April update, but they still haven't finished off the storyline or added the final Campaign ranks or armor set pieces.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009

They added a few more WotG missions with the April update, but they still haven't finished off the storyline or added the final Campaign ranks or armor set pieces.

Or areas

We're supposed to eventually be able to go to Xarcabard , Castle Zvhal Baileys , and Castle Zvhal Throne Room

And that's not counting Walk of Echos

Arcibi on
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
  • Options
    DoctorGateuxDoctorGateux Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Arcibi wrote: »
    So uh

On that last run, we had it down to one goddamn motherfucking percent HP, and ran out of time

We tried (unsuccessfully) to zerg it a few times, before going all-mage. 2 SMNs make excellent DDs.

DoctorGateux on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    While Level Sync definitely ups the invite rates, it also forces you back to the doonz and qufim a little too much. Sucks leveling up using a fresh anniversary ring only to enjoy your new equipment/toys outside of exping.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So uh

We tried (unsuccessfully) to zerg it a few times, before going all-mage. 2 SMNs make excellent DDs.

I finally had a successful run a couple days ago (and I don't care what anyone says, that last cutscene ruled)

The setup was blm (me), whm, rng, rng, drg, pld

I did nothing but stun (AF pants + relic gloves for the win) and backup heal while stun wasn't up, and the drg killed clones

Did I mention the dragoon was geared to the fucking teeth (barone body that he crafted himself and HQ barone legs and feet that he probably also made, relic +1 hands, askar helmet... oh, and motherfucking Gungnir)

It was an easy fight with this setup, nobody even 2-houred except for the paladin at the very beginning to get hate

Arcibi on
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I got DNC to level 15 last night and my god. Curing Waltz is a beast. It heals 1/5 of my current HP. Is it possible to solo DNC up to 75?

Can DNC as a subjob make soloing other jobs easier?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »
    I got DNC to level 15 last night and my god. Curing Waltz is a beast. It heals 1/5 of my current HP. Is it possible to solo DNC up to 75?

I'm sure it's possible but like most jobs it would be incredibly slow. DNC get to a certain point where they just stop putting out damage. Why would you anyway, their skills can be very beneficial to a group.

/dnc is a pretty good sub for soloing if you're farming tons of easier stuff or possibly soloing even match stuff on samurai. usually a melee solo would want /nin for shadows. It is really good as a sub in campaign.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I'm sure it's possible but like most jobs it would be incredibly slow. DNC get to a certain point where they just stop putting out damage. Why would you anyway, their skills can be very beneficial to a group.

/dnc is a pretty good sub for soloing if you're farming tons of easier stuff or possibly soloing even match stuff on samurai. usually a melee solo would want /nin for shadows. It is really good as a sub in campaign.

I wasn't actually planning on soloing it to 75, but I wanted to know if it was possible.

I was planning on going DNC/SAM for the awesome TP, but my SAM is only 9 and I was gonna need to probably solo it because I hate partying in the Dunes. So a figured a SAM/DNC would be pretty efficient for soloing that low.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've been soloing my DRG/WHM for the past couple of days. I've made 10 levels so far thanks to FoV pages. It's so awesome! I haven't enjoyed grinding for exp like this in forever.

Murphy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    What level is your DRG/WHM?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So uh

I finally had a successful run a couple days ago (and I don't care what anyone says, that last cutscene ruled)

The setup was blm (me), whm, rng, rng, drg, pld

I did nothing but stun (AF pants + relic gloves for the win) and backup heal while stun wasn't up, and the drg killed clones

Did I mention the dragoon was geared to the fucking teeth (barone body that he crafted himself and HQ barone legs and feet that he probably also made, relic +1 hands, askar helmet... oh, and motherfucking Gungnir)

It was an easy fight with this setup, nobody even 2-houred except for the paladin at the very beginning to get hate

We had a RDM/DRK for Stun, and I went BLM/SCH for Backup stun + add killing - which is probably preferable to any other DD because they can't deal with them fast enough if the Crystal pops more than one. Parsimony meant I normally had full MP which was sweet.

The last cutscene was fuckin' rad. Especially with the music and how they recreated that bit. I had no idea what the hell was going on though.

DoctorGateux on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    What a horrible night of ANNM. Started with the Batallia Tiger one we've completed successfully in the past. The only BLM we had tonight neglected to tell us at the beginning that he didn't have Sleepga II, so he got mowed down by tigers very quickly, and we wiped shortly after.

We then decided to try the mushroom/crawler one in Crawler's Nest, which took my slow LS mates nearly two hours to gather for (half of them didn't have Campaign warps to half the areas). I was going to AoE sleep as my Scholar this time, and that part went well. The only problem was the NM is made of fail and rape; it took our PLD tanking it from 100% to dead in less than five seconds, according to chat timestamps, took the PLD who picked it up from 100% to dead a little slower, but Enstunned most of his cures. It then went around basically smashing everyone in the room.

What a horrible thing.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm sure it's possible but like most jobs it would be incredibly slow. DNC get to a certain point where they just stop putting out damage.

Then it picks back up again when you get Dancing Edge and an actual use for Building Flourish.

Xhero on
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What level is your DRG/WHM?

35 now. That's 15 levels, now. :D

Murphy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I completed Windurst's storyline and achieved rank 10 tonight

I haven't done any of the other nations' missions, but the end of the Windurst one, at least, makes you feel like a big damn hero once it's all over

Warning: pretty big Windurst storyline spoilers
    You rescue the Star Sybil from the rogue cardians, foil the Yagudo plot to take over Horutoru Ruins, and not only find out that the summoner who called Fenrir and saved Windurst back in the crystal war killed Fenrir and plotted to take Fenrir's power for himself and has come back from the grave after that power proved too much for his body to handle, not only do you put a stop to that, but you also manage to resurrect Fenrir, who agrees to become the guardian of Windurst. After all that, Heavens Tower throws a parade in your honor as Windurst's most celebrated adventurer.

Then you talk to Kupipi and find out your deeds will be immortalized in the history books for years to come. Except the majority of what you did is too sensitive to leak to the public, so your part in Windurstian history is kept in the restricted section. But Kupipi knows your contribution to the survival of Windurst and thanks you for it, and somehow... that's enough.

(cue dramatic end theme)

Arcibi on
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I have done Windurst and San d'Oria, and am about halfway through Bastok. They are pretty cool.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I've been trying to get mission statics rolling with my LS, I'm probably going to finish the Bastok Storyline and go Sandy permanently. Although I might have to switch now, I think I'm one of three people in my LS who are Bastokian, lame asses.

Going from LV32 to 45 in the span of 2 days is really freaking exhausting. Although using Accession+Cure 3 on a Campaign NPC surrounded by people is a fun way to get annihilated by mobs. It's still XP suckers.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I've been trying to get mission statics rolling with my LS, I'm probably going to finish the Bastok Storyline and go Sandy permanently. Although I might have to switch now, I think I'm one of three people in my LS who are Bastokian, lame asses.

Going from LV32 to 45 in the span of 2 days is really freaking exhausting. Although using Accession+Cure 3 on a Campaign NPC surrounded by people is a fun way to get annihilated by mobs. It's still XP suckers.

SCH have it soooo easy in campaign.

DoctorGateux on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009

We do? I have to bust my hump nuking, healing, and resurrecting for an hour+ to break 1700 xp while I've seen Thieves and Samurai who roll their faces over their keyboards and come out with 4k+.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009

We do? I have to bust my hump nuking, healing, and resurrecting for an hour+ to break 1700 xp while I've seen Thieves and Samurai who roll their faces over their keyboards and come out with 4k+.

RDM/WHM(for reraise) is easily the best campaign job. Joyeuse with enspell on auto swing and some self curing/buffing will usually cap you out. If you can get into a group to heal them too that's even better.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Does the time limit cap thing ala the guide here FFXI Wiki: Campaign EXP Calc still apply? I've heard conflicting things since I came back, I know it worked kinda that way back in May 08. So if it still works, Accession+Cure4 on a crew surrounded by NPCs = capping Healing limit, have RR up get slaughtered to bring yourself close to the Damage Taken cap. Wait for Weakened to wear, pop off some Nukes and RR again if necessary and bingo? Turn in Tags when seen fit?

If the guide is still right then that should put my SCH close to my MNK/DNC in terms of total. I know it's not going to work out that way so I'm only looking at my SCH for Campaign just when I can't get an invite before 75, and just use my MNK for merits. It was SCH or DNC for LS events and from reading about DNC, my best bet lies with SCH.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just decided to get back in on this when I found out the 360 version was only 15 bucks for all the expansion packs, and that I could get back the character I haven't played for 5 years. So, now I'm back in Vana'diel with a TON of new stuff to check out.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I should have Corsair out of the dunes today.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

RDM/WHM(for reraise) is easily the best campaign job. Joyeuse with enspell on auto swing and some self curing/buffing will usually cap you out. If you can get into a group to heal them too that's even better.

Well, Accession + Cure IV + Rapture on a group of damaged NPCs is nothing to sneeze at. I can normally keep my EXP up with melees over longer fights, mainly because MP isn't normally a huge problem if you use your stratagems right.

Oh. You're 45. Well, it gets easier as you level? :|

DoctorGateux on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KitsurubamiKitsurubami Winnipeg, MBRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Like many others in this thread, I've made the decision to come back to the game after a 'WoW Vacation'.

WoW is fun and all, but I miss the challenge, the group dynamics, and 'the feel' of FFXI.

I had a level 67 Dragoon before I quit soon after the release of WotG, so I know a thing or two about the game. However, a lot has changed, apparently. The ease of solo leveling early on appeals to me, especially after being babied in WoW for all this time. Random chest drops are exciting, too!

So, I'm in the process of downloading the MegaTon of updates for the game, ready to jump on a server and start leveling a new character! Is there still a decent LinkShell community on Carbuncle? I'd like to join an LS of like-minded individuals who crave everything that FFXI is, not complain about what it isn't. :P

Oh, and has anything changed significantly in the game regarding the money-making process? I'll be hoarding my beehive chips, of course.

Kitsurubami on