As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXI] December Update Patch notes. 1up press interview. KWEH!!?!?!1one

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Talk to Bri in game this evening and I will get you a pearl.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Significantly? Beast blood and various other NPC-able items that a lot of people farmed for for gil were nerfed pretty hardcore back in December. Aside from that, I don't think anything else has been.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    KitsurubamiKitsurubami Winnipeg, MBRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Tremendous. Which server? Carbuncle?

And I remember spending hours farming leeches on the coast to pay for my Scorpion Harness. It's kind of a pain that they nerfed that, but there's other ways to make money now, from the looks of things. :)

Apparently, having broadband makes the game perform MUCH better.

Kitsurubami on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Having the best level of income available out of items sold to NPCs isn't really good for the economy. It brings huge levels of currency into the "pool", with no corresponding outlet. As a designer, you want money to trickle in and trickle out, and spend most of it's time circulating between players.

I have seen it happen on a smaller scale with a Neverwinter Nights persistent world. Things get to a stupid level of broken pretty quickly.

Yeah.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Do they do world transfers?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MandresMandres Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh god I'm so tempted to resub. It's been like 4+ years since I canceled my account. I had a lvl 62 Rng/Nin that I'm sure is gone by now so I would be starting over from scratch.

I see there are like 4 new jobs that I've never heard of and a ton of changes to make it easier to lvl. If I didn't think my wife would leave me on the spot I would go buy it today. Seriously thinking about doing it anyway :-p

Would it be possible to start from scratch now and actually find parties for the lower-lvl zones?

Mandres on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Having the best level of income available out of items sold to NPCs isn't really good for the economy. It brings huge levels of currency into the "pool", with no corresponding outlet. As a designer, you want money to trickle in and trickle out, and spend most of it's time circulating between players.

I have seen it happen on a smaller scale with a Neverwinter Nights persistent world. Things get to a stupid level of broken pretty quickly.

Yeah.

I guess I'm just too used to cash just 'happening', like in WoW. You don't really need to farm money for anything except for epic flyers, and even then, it'll take a couple of days at the most. But as a result, money doesn't really mean anything. It's just a way of keeping your gear repaired.

Oh, and last question ... what is the name of your character? :v

Kitsurubami on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »

Yes. They charge you for it.
    Mandres wrote: »
    Would it be possible to start from scratch now and actually find parties for the lower-lvl zones?

Yeah. Everyone level syncs these days. Parties are not really hard to find. Especially since if you can't get the traditional 6 person party going you can just double up with someone and still get something done.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My thing with WoW was what I did during raids and how much content Blizzard abandons and doesn't give a crap about. At first zoning into different areas without a pause added more life to the world for me, but then once Azeroth stopped getting updated the game became too top heavy and all your doing is running Naxx, and unfortunately for me raiding was getting into position, and pressing 123333233331 repeat for over 4 hours. Lame. And the only parts of the world that mattered anymore was where the newest Expansion took you next.

Now look at content in FFXI, sure drop rates are awful by most accounts, yea getting gil is a chore if you don't have a good craft/farming scheme. But all the things available to you in endgame hasn't been phased out forcibly by SE. Sky, Dynamis (either of them), Salvage, xNMs, Sea etc etc etc all are applicable even if they have been added to the game 4+ years ago. The only things that really get forgotten in my eyes are certain level camps, especially now with Level Syncing, and you know what there's nothing with that.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So I ordered the security token on the 11th, and I haven't gotten it yet.

I called in like the confirmation E-Mail said to, and they tell me that they cannot track the tokens being that they were shipped USPS. OK, whatever. But to also tell me that they cannot check to see if the item has actually shipped or not is bush league amateur hour bullshit.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So I ordered the security token on the 11th, and I haven't gotten it yet.

I called in like the confirmation E-Mail said to, and they tell me that they cannot track the tokens being that they were shipped USPS. OK, whatever. But to also tell me that they cannot check to see if the item has actually shipped or not is bush league amateur hour bullshit.

I haven't bothered ordering mine yet, but shame on SE if they used USPS to skim off the top. Did they charge for shipping? Because honestly the cost of shipping through the post office for companies of that size next to the retarded bs a customer has to go through, they could have sent it UPS ground and still pulled a profit, and you would have better service.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I had linkshell mates who pre-ordered the token back in late March before the update even hit, and they just got theirs a few days ago.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Ah, so like the cheese, then. :P

I'll try and get in contact with you in a bit, in game.

Kitsurubami on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ah, so like the cheese, then. :P

I will murder you until you die from it.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »

Yes. They charge you for it.

Well I figured that. How big is the PA Carbuncle guild?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Small, but hells a personable.

Edit: Spend a buck, create a new character on Carbuncle. If you like it here spend the 25 to move your character.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So uh...

If my account which I canceled two weeks ago was set to expire today (before registration server maintenance was announced), yet I can still log in due to the maintenance postponing it, will I be billed tomorrow and then canceled?

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Small, but hells a personable.

Edit: Spend a buck, create a new character on Carbuncle. If you like it here spend the 25 to move your character.

I could do that. I just hate how my linkshell isn't very accommodating to my level of character. All the stuff they do is for 75+, which I understand, but it makes me feel left out.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I will say this about the LS. It is on you to organize activities upon which you solely need to get done. The LS will participate if you ask, but getting the ball rolling will be on you.

I pushed hard to get my first several CoP missions going. Now that I have done them I am no longer pushing for them. I have said many times that I will be the first to jump on board for those LS member who still need to do them, but it is on them to get the party started.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I will say this about the LS. It is on you to organize activities upon which you solely need to get done. The LS will participate if you ask, but getting the ball rolling will be on you.

I pushed hard to get my first several CoP missions going. Now that I have done them I am no longer pushing for them. I have said many times that I will be the first to jump on board for those LS member who still need to do them, but it is on them to get the party started.

I can dig that. I don't feel entitled to having LS members jump to my aid just because I wear the same colored shell. Just so long as I have an avenue for forming parties outside of trying to PUG CoP missions, I'm happy. :P

Kitsurubami on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    You'll have my... Light and Dark Staff. Or something.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't know what the deal is, I keep on hopping in and out of this game.

I may have finally found my "thing" though. I decided to give Monk a shot, and I got to level 10 in one sitting. I know that's not especially impressive, but it's definitely the hardest I've played this game. I like punching. :D

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There's a PA Carbuncle linkshell? I just got back into FFXI, but then cancelled before the month was up so I could really decide whether I wanted to come back or not. I want to see all the changes and have some fun with the new content, but I know it'd require finding a ton of people to play with again. If there's a decent PA linkshell that'd be awesome, and I'd be tempted to move if it were fairly active.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It is a linkshell that the PA community is part of. Many of the members of the linkshell are not members here. We are part of it because they are pretty swell people, and there are not enough PA people to populate a LS by ourselves and still get anything useful done.

We are handy to have around if you have questions or find yourself in a bind.

How active we are depends on the time of day and day of week. Most ls members equip special purpose link shells for things like Dynamis or Sky on a set schedule.

On an unrelated note: Beehive chips are about 4500 a stack right now on Carbuncle. Wow.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I need to get some mission fights done.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Whew, hit level 20 on my monk, got my chocobo license and dinged level 6 on my warrior in a day's playtime. Not too shabby.

Fields of Valor is ridiculous. If anyone's main problem with FFXI was the early levels and the painful process of getting to 20 (and past the Dunes), that has now been solved. If you make sure to grab a Valor page every hour and grind lots of Easy Prey to Decent Challenge mobs, it's cake to get to 15 or so. And after that, level sync makes partying a breeze, so long as the people in it aren't dummies.

Kitsurubami on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Whew, hit level 20 on my monk, got my chocobo license and dinged level 6 on my warrior in a day's playtime. Not too shabby.

Fields of Valor is ridiculous. If anyone's main problem with FFXI was the early levels and the painful process of getting to 20 (and past the Dunes), that has now been solved. If you make sure to grab a Valor page every hour and grind lots of Easy Prey to Decent Challenge mobs, it's cake to get to 15 or so. And after that, level sync makes partying a breeze, so long as the people in it aren't dummies.

People being dumb is the sole reason I swore I'd never step foot in Valkurm Dunes again

Greatsword warriors in full bronze harness gear who, upon being told to provoke, do it exactly once but then never engage the enemy or use provoke again

Black mages with onion staves and no pants running up to the enemy and meleeing, maybe casting a spell once a fight

Healers in level 1 RSE with full-time chariot bands

I've seen all of the above and more. I can excuse the truly new people, but it just seems like some people forget how to play the game when they enter this zone

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    And to think I have been through that zone 18 times.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Dunes are the #1 reason I have to resist the urge to constantly roll new characters or constantly switch characters.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I make sure on my search comment to put, Level Sync LV20+, I can't deal with the doonz anymore and I've become so proficient in those pre-qufim levels that I can get 20 without stepping foot in Valkurm or even be in a party. But once I get tired of morons pulling Wights and such in Qufim I typically go back to some FoV.

Putting SCH on pause after getting Klimaform, probably start it back up when I get another Anniversary Ring, although now I'm having stupid amounts of fun with DNC. Too bad their gear selection at high levels kinda sucks.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I have Blue Mage and Scholar left, and then all of my jobs are level 20 or higher.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have Blue Mage and Scholar left, and then all of my jobs are level 20 or higher.

Scholar up to 20 is rough :/
    at least you can play like a ghetto black mage past 10 and kill some worms but before 10 you're better off just subbing war and busting out the club.

Bluemage however is a killing machine, if it weren't for the spell learning you could probably take that up to 20 in a day.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Each is level 10 already.

Edit: Gah, can't skip the Crystaline Prophecy cut scene on my Jeuno mule.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    WTB Head Butt, PST.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The one job I have left not level 10 is PUP and I just can't do it. I just can't.

I loved BLU at first but like you said learning the spells is just a little painful. I think I have at least Bludgeon, Pollen and Cocoon...... And Metallic Body. Maybe I'll pick BLU back up after a pause. I had Nadirs once just for BLU lol.

Jumping back on SCH, don't wanna break the steam I have going with it, especially for how bad of parties I'm getting on DNC.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I got Head Butt on my very first try

Feather Storm, Bludgeon, and Metallic Body however, not so much

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Head Butt took me a while. Battle dance took two or three Orcs. I have had feather Storm forever, don't know when I got it. I am at level 10 and I have all my level 12 spells. Once I can use them I will start working on the 16s.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The only 1-20 Blue Magic spells I've had an easy time with were Healing Breeze and Pollen. Everything else took forever.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, after headbutt you don't even need anything else til bludgeon :P

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    That's exactly what I'm saying. Bludgeon just, murders. MURDERS!

WillisIVIIX on