As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXI] December Update Patch notes. 1up press interview. KWEH!!?!?!1one

• Options
    XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The one job I have left not level 10 is PUP and I just can't do it. I just can't.

I pretty much guarantee that if you get PUP through Qufim you'll be inclined to level it to 75

basically when you do 200 + fusion by yourself you'll understand

(note: this presumes you actually know what attachments do)

Xhero on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Got my security token last night, registration was easy, but I didn't know what to do in Play Online for a while. Took me a few times to guess. Mog Satchel is very very easy to use. I love it. It's like a portable Mog Safe, really.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RatmikeRatmike Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Has SE announced any plans to release a 2009 "collection" version of the game? I think this might be the game to flee WoW for, but buying the game then having a new version released a week later would likely send me into a berserker rage.

Ratmike on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I doubt it, since the only extra thing there would be to "collect" is the new mini-expansion, which is still brand new. The 2008 collection still has everything but that, and is still pretty dirt cheap. I don't see them doing a new collection until all 3 mini-expansions are out.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I he's mainly asking to save him from 2 days of downloading patches and what not.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    I haven't gotten the security token yet.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »
    I he's mainly asking to save him from 2 days of downloading patches and what not.

Basically. I've heard the game has some pretty brutal patch times.

Ratmike on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Patching is pretty intensive, particularly if your copy is old. On my old disks when I installed last I had several hours of patching to do, and I have a pretty good internet connection.

However, as of last fall, with the 2008 collection patching was pretty painless.

Compared to say WoW, its still more than normal as there's no background downloader etc, and it checks all your files before patching to verify integrity etc etc.

So, as long as your disks are somewhat recent it's honestly not that bad. Just don't expect to install it and be ready to play immediately. If you have a slow connection and/or you get DC'd during patching (which causes you to have to verify files again), you might just plan on installing/patching an evening then playing the next day.

Yeah, sucks, but meh. I still come back and play for a couple months once, twice a year; if the folks I played WoW with all the sudden decided they wanted to migrate to FFXI I woudn't even hesitate to follow. What I'm saying is that it's a good game, though clearly not for everyone.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited May 2009
    Well, I plan on getting the 2008 collection anyway, so that works out.

I'm mainly looking at this over WoW because it seems like grouping in WoW is really the last thing anyone wants to do outside of downing an elite mob or running an instance. I'm guessing with the way the job system in this works a newbie shouldn't have troubles getting in to groups and such?

Ratmike on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    No, parties generally start at level 11 and go from there.

You could party before that, but 1-10 takes so short a time that most people don't bother.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well, I like the option of being able to solo when I can't find a group, but I'm not real big on it being the only way to go.

Ratmike on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Some job combos can do it. Those jobs tend to be a bit pricey.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Totally ready to level up with Blue mage until I hit 14.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Got my Opo-Opo crown this morning. BRD is still only level 18, but I'm planning to make a big push. Should be able to wear it in a few weeks.

Oh, and 40 DRG at the moment. Taking a short break from it in order to burn through all of my Beastmen's Seals.

As much as I like a lot of the people in my Linkshell, I'm kind of frustrated by our inability to get anything done. Everyone's schedule is so erratic (mine included), and we're of such disparate levels that it can be difficult to accomplish anything that can't be low-manned.

Currently looking for an event LS on Seraph, but I haven't had much success of yet.

Murphy on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, securing some time for this game is difficult. I had a couple broken up hours to play yesterday. This was just enough time to sell my things, secure a mission, run from Windurst to Mhaura, then take a boat to Selbina.

I'm sure it goes faster for more experienced players.

This isn't a post to complain though. I'm writing to say that, even though I spent the majority of my free time running around fought maybe two mobs along the way, I freaking dig this game. The world feels so expansive.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It doesn't really go that much faster for experienced players. My play time is pretty broken up as well, and I often have to break larger tasks up over smaller windows of time because it just takes too long to do the things I want all at once. :(

Murphy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well I think it only goes faster for experienced players because of a few things:

1. Most like have a higher level and won't have to worry about aggro.
    2. On a chocobo.
    3. Able to afford teleport and don't have to take the ship.

Other than that, Prof, you pretty much do what everyone has to do in the game early on. I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well I think it only goes faster for experienced players because of a few things:

1. Most like have a higher level and won't have to worry about aggro.
    2. On a chocobo.
    3. Able to afford teleport and don't have to take the ship.

Other than that, Prof, you pretty much do what everyone has to do in the game early on. I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)

I'm glad for the validation that I'm not "doing it wrong." I don't mind if it takes a long time because it's a rewarding experience overall; I'd just hate to be that one guy who is lagging so far behind the "natural order" that he really just shouldn't be playing at all. :D

EDIT: Man, the "friend" I play with on FFXI is a dick. Maybe I'll just make a new character on Carbuncle. Would it be possible to get back into that linkshell you guys are part of?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yes. Give Bri a tell in game.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yes. Give Bri a tell in game.

Awesome :D I promise not to whine this time

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    KitsurubamiKitsurubami Winnipeg, MBRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Direct2Drive won't accept Paypal for the Vana'diel Collection 2008, even though they accept it for all the individual expansion packs. :v

Since NONE of the game stores in Winnipeg carry the collection, and I started on a free trial, the only way to get the Zilart expansion is by getting it from Direct2Drive. Lame, but I'll have to put some money on my credit card.

Kazham will have to wait until tomorrow. I can always farm zinc ore until then.

Big thanks to the linkshell members that helped me with my Rank 2-3 dragon fight! ^^

Kitsurubami on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    In game now.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Got into a ridiculous party yesterday in East Ronfaure . Five (and nearly six) levels in about two hours. Was a lot of fun, and the people in it complimented me on actually having separate TP and WS sets (as well as a swap for Jumps), though they said it was frustrating trying to keep me alive with all of my blinking.

So, first party on DRG, which means I can't claim I got all of these levels solo, but I'll take being 45 (even with my ugly Home Depot greeter armor) and just be happy about it.

My parents both play, so we're going to burn through all 600 of my Seals on Royal Jelly (though I may save some for Under Observation on BLM) in order to stimulate my personal economy a bit. I do ok financially, but it would be nice to have a bit of a boost.

Murphy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    How awesome is it that both parents play this with you?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh man, I'd love to play Final Fantasy XI with my family. I'm not too into family gaming myself, but the mechanics of FFXI actually really reward having a close connection to your peers, in my opinion.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I would love to play games with my friends online, let alone family. Just none of them are into that type of gaming. My roommate just bought a PC, so maybe I can get him into a few games. Doubt FFXI would be one.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    In game for an hour or so before heading out to a movie.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would love to play games with my friends online, let alone family. Just none of them are into that type of gaming. My roommate just bought a PC, so maybe I can get him into a few games. Doubt FFXI would be one.

Its how I keep in touch with my old college buddies. We played back when we were undergrads, and after graduation split to the 4 corners of the universe. The missus just started playing as well, so that's been fun.

I'm missing two advanced jobs, puppet and corsair. Looking at unlocking them in the near future. Not that I'll ever play them, mind. I just want that list to be filled out.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I am thinking of some things I wish they would do with Chocobos, but we will likely never see it.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Woo installing the game now! Is Carbuncle still the server of choice for PA folken?

Edit: oh awesome totp.

Ratmike on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I am there. Give Bri a tell in game.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Rank 7 now.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rank 7 now.

Congratulations. I've been stuck trying to kill cardians for some time now.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So once upon a time I use to play FFxi all the time. I was kinda wondering if BLM is still basicly a pariah after level 50? Might actualy get my taru ass ported off of phoenix and try out the sceen on carbuncle.

Basicly I miss the old skill chain magic burst style of partys that were replaced by manaburns and tp spam. The teamwork aspect of the old style was one of the most apealing things other than the plot that made xi so special for me.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Don't know, haven't got Black Mage up that high.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    krizz02krizz02 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Malechai wrote: »
    So once upon a time I use to play FFxi all the time. I was kinda wondering if BLM is still basicly a pariah after level 50? Might actualy get my taru ass ported off of phoenix and try out the sceen on carbuncle.

Basicly I miss the old skill chain magic burst style of partys that were replaced by manaburns and tp spam. The teamwork aspect of the old style was one of the most apealing things other than the plot that made xi so special for me.
    that's what i used to like about it too. how was it replaced?

krizz02 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    krizz02 wrote: »

Over time square kept putting out more and more awsome gear for the melee classes that for enemies that are T or lower they start putting up some serrious numbers. So for the shear exp per hour element it became aperant that it was more efficient for 5 melees to get a support class sub nin and just spam ws's as soon as they reached 100%. Thus skillchains became a happy accident and BLM became a hinderance instead of a valued party member. BLMs began doing manaburn parties where they would lay down 5 spells simultaniously to kill a mob, so damn dull it hurts to think about. This is what high level exp grinding became and after camping fafnir for the 50th time with my hnmls I got burnt out on the game and realy havn't played for over a year now.

I was basicly hoping that square had either adjusted the magic damage formula or gave blm gear that made them able to keep up with other jobs in an exp situation at high level. I just miss actualy having to actualy play the game while playing the game.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Hey, I play on Phoenix. What's your LS?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    krizz02 wrote: »

Over time square kept putting out more and more awsome gear for the melee classes that for enemies that are T or lower they start putting up some serrious numbers. So for the shear exp per hour element it became aperant that it was more efficient for 5 melees to get a support class sub nin and just spam ws's as soon as they reached 100%. Thus skillchains became a happy accident and BLM became a hinderance instead of a valued party member. BLMs began doing manaburn parties where they would lay down 5 spells simultaniously to kill a mob, so damn dull it hurts to think about. This is what high level exp grinding became and after camping fafnir for the 50th time with my hnmls I got burnt out on the game and realy havn't played for over a year now.

I was basicly hoping that square had either adjusted the magic damage formula or gave blm gear that made them able to keep up with other jobs in an exp situation at high level. I just miss actualy having to actualy play the game while playing the game.

I have never seen a BLM in an xp party since level 35, and my Scholar partied every level from 11-75. They're doing campaign or killing puddings or doing FoV at a snail's pace for xp. You're still pretty much SOL, and seeing that's what stopped me from leveling BLM further.

The problem isn't really a BLM's damage. It's mainly that they put out decent damage, and then have to sit and rest while melee can just keep on swinging. Not an awful lot Square can do about that unless they start giving nukers some kind of ridiculous amount of auto-refresh or make Aspir work on MP-less mobs.

That and Colibri.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Hey, I play on Phoenix. What's your LS?

My hnmls was saviour. That was a long time ago though from what I hear the shell has been torn down and rebuilt twice since I left. Dynamis shell was calm. Had a good time there but when a scheduling conflict lead to one of our members getting into a rival shells dynamis windy run and using diaga that kinda made things get akward around there.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg