As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXI] December Update Patch notes. 1up press interview. KWEH!!?!?!1one

• Options
    Demitri OmniDemitri Omni Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    something is going to be stabbed if a thunderstorm doesn't start somewhere soon.

EDIT: Bloody hell it's storming in Zi'tah but there's no way I can get there today

><

and then of course sunny sunny sunny!

Don't worry about getting summoner so much. Believe me. When I played earlier on I was like "HOLY SHIT SUMMONER IS AWESOME FUCK YES I'M GOING TO UNLOCK IT" but then I quickly lost interest when I realized how annoying it is to get the avatars.

Give it some time, keep at Warrior or something in the meantime.

Also is tonight static night? What time?

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Promyvion before, static later.

Here is my post from earlier:
    Great jam session this week every one: Next Friday everyone be at Zeruhn Mines at 9PM EST; 6PM PST, and be ready to go. Level range is 14, 13, 12; although it looks like we are all 14. Bring rings if you use them, and those who fall behind by not having them or by dieing during the session will have the rest of the week to make sure they are within range for the next week.

Plan to stay for 2 hours.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    something is going to be stabbed if a thunderstorm doesn't start somewhere soon.

EDIT: Bloody hell it's storming in Zi'tah but there's no way I can get there today

><

and then of course sunny sunny sunny!

Don't worry about getting summoner so much. Believe me. When I played earlier on I was like "HOLY SHIT SUMMONER IS AWESOME FUCK YES I'M GOING TO UNLOCK IT" but then I quickly lost interest when I realized how annoying it is to get the avatars.

Give it some time, keep at Warrior or something in the meantime.

Also is tonight static night? What time?

Really I want it for a sub for whm more than anything.

I was (am) just a little miffed that I have all the weathers except ice and thunder; ice is easy; but I just keep managing to miss the storms.

But yeah, I'm not like "ZOMG I WANNA SUMMIN IFRIT!". I just want to see the Job is all.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    But the Fenrir fight was so awesome!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    woo thunder get

EDIT: Also, Zave is a little bit retarded isn't he?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    woo thunder get

EDIT: Also, Zave is a little bit retarded isn't he?

He has the occasional problem with foot in mouth disease, that I have observed.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Next week, 9PM EST; 6PM PST. The place is Mhura.

Level range is 16, 15, 14. IT looks like we are all 16 and 15.

Plan for 2 hours.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Logged in today at 11 with my thief. Tried for Jaggedy-Eared Jack for a bit but got fed up. Went to LaTheine and dinged 12, put seeking up, 10 seconds later got a party invite. Dinged 13. Dinged 14. Dinged 15 and got Sneak Attack... best skill ever! Dinged 16. Left party. Didn't die even once! So great.

So I'm torn. I am enjoying THF, and want to continue, but I also want to do BLU, and apparently NIN is the be-all end-all for THF sub. Grr. How well does THF/BLU work out? Are there any self buffs or anything like that?

I'm stuck at work with almost -zero- to do until 7am... 8 hours from now. And no access to any FFXI sites... I guess I'll listen to I Love Bees again.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Honestly I've never heard of anything /blu. That doesn't mean it isn't possible but I would venture to guess it would make a pretty poor sub for thf. And yeah, /nin after 20 or 30 for thf seems to be the way to go. Before that war is fine. Just make sure you keep your dagger skill up if you're using swords or whatever.

I don't know why you have to have one or the other together. Play them both. And if it makes you feel better, I guess /nin can be a good sub for blu if you focus more on your melee skills. I think there's one or two people in the LS with blue 75, you might give them a holler.

Anyway, unlocked SMN PLD and BST. The three I'm interested in so that makes me happy. I'm sure I'll unlock everything else eventually but aside from maybe SAM and DRG nothing else catches my eye at the moment.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Maybe I've hit on the secret uber combo? Or most likely not. I'll ask around on the LS to see what BLU is like going up. I'm still very interested in it. Leveling NIN to 37 and then taking THF and BLU up sounds like a good time.

1 hour down... 7 to go.

Dyvion on
  • Options
    GrinninBarrettGrinninBarrett Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    THF/BLU is bad because you get

1. Itty-bitty MP pool
    2. Blue magic casting at the subjob's level, which means low damage and resists out the wazoo

BLU/THF, however, is really good because you can stack physical blue magic with sneak attack!

You'll also probably hear that THF/WAR is a good alternative to THF/NIN (and it is) but there are a lot of situations where shadows are going to benefit you or the party more than extra damage

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    /blu is okay, but only if you set DEX+ and AGI+ spells. Otherwise there's not much point to it.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah... was thinking there might be self buffs or something, but also that they weren't super effective or it would be seen more. BLU/THF sounds good to me. Probably go up that route first. I have severe alt-itus... so maybe I can stick with this. Donno what I'll sub with thief getting it up to 37... maybe get ninja to 23 or just sub BLU and see how it goes.

4 hours left. argh.

Dyvion on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I know all about the attraction of playing several jobs at once. I am forever shuffling equipment when the mood to change jobs strikes me.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Dyvion wrote: »
    Yeah... was thinking there might be self buffs or something, but also that they weren't super effective or it would be seen more. BLU/THF sounds good to me. Probably go up that route first. I have severe alt-itus... so maybe I can stick with this. Donno what I'll sub with thief getting it up to 37... maybe get ninja to 23 or just sub BLU and see how it goes.

4 hours left. argh.

Essentially, /BLU would only come into play in one way. Sneak Attack uses a DEX modifier to determine it's damage, and Trick Attack uses an AGI mod. Blue Mages don't have any stats whatsoever (i.e. BLU essentially works as a 'clean slate' job, where your race's base stats are all you have, aside from Sub Job stat boosts). Blue Mage spells are equipped (you don't have them all available at all times, you have so many 'points' and each spell takes up so many points to equip), and each spell equipped gives you a certain stat boost (usually one of the 7 stats, or HP/MP). In addition to the stat boosts, certain combinations of spells can give you job traits (which again, Blue Mages do not have innately, aside from two meritable traits).

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Blue_Mage
    http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Blue_Mage/Job_Traits
    http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Blue_Mage#Spell_List

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So when I started my char, I started as WAR, but I am not sure I want that as my main job. What are some main jobs that WAR goes as a good sub job?

If I wanted to go a completely different route, say, WHM as my first sub job, could I flip it to my main job and just ignore WAR for now?

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So when I started my char, I started as WAR, but I am not sure I want that as my main job. What are some main jobs that WAR goes as a good sub job?

If I wanted to go a completely different route, say, WHM as my first sub job, could I flip it to my main job and just ignore WAR for now?

Yeah, you could do that.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Okay, another really stupid question.

I know how to regen my HP, by hitting the heal button. How do I regen my TP? Kneeling down to heal doesn't seem to do the trick.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Okay, another really stupid question.

I know how to regen my HP, by hitting the heal button. How do I regen my TP? Kneeling down to heal doesn't seem to do the trick.

You hit things. TP is gained by striking enemies, and taking damage.

EDIT: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Tactical_Points

EDIT: too much equations in that page, more simple explaination: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Weapon_Skills

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Okay, that makes me feel pretty stupid, hehe. Thanks. I'm going to go read up on that site, seems to have a ton of good info.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Okay, so Paladins are the best tanks, right? What's a good sub-job for a Paladin? WAR? If so, I'll just stick with WAR until I can open up Paladin.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Okay, that makes me feel pretty stupid, hehe. Thanks. I'm going to go read up on that site, seems to have a ton of good info.

OP, let me reiterate OP.
    Its not a very long post and it has the important resources within it. Not saying don't ask questions, but if you take the time to watch the tutorial and stuff, you will have a better grasp on the game.
    Okay, so Paladins are the best tanks, right? What's a good sub-job for a Paladin? WAR? If so, I'll just stick with WAR until I can open up Paladin.
    Not going to open up paladin until 30, what will you sub war with until then?
    You are still in WoW mentality focusing on one class, try to get out of it. I usually do jobs as needed or depending on whatever suits my mood. Try to do the same and you will have a much more enjoyable experience than always worrying about playing 1 job.

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Also pld are first and foremost tanks (I.E. that's pretty much all they do); but they're not everyone's first choice for a tank. Maybe at higher levels? people go for PLD more (I wouldn't know), but at lower levels nin/war seems to be most peoples first choice, if there's the option.

Call me old fashioned though, I like the dependability of a PLD no matter the level. I understand it's easier on WHM's for curing at lower levels to have a NIN tank; but besides the very very high cost of maintaining a NIN tank, if Utsusemi drops at the wrong time it's bad times for everyone. But at the same time I see the attraction.

So yeah. That probably didn't help.

And with that, to work for the day. Good times.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2008

Paladin and Ninja are the two main tanking jobs, but they work in totally different ways and have different specialties.

Ninja specialize in damage avoidance. With their ninja magic they can negate hits that monsters land on them. Combined with high evasion gear and a careful party setup, you will have a tank that is effectively untouchable for the monster you are fighting. Where they have weakness is in monsters that attack rapidly or with area effect attack. This will chew a ninja up and spit them out. Also, the consumable tools required for ninja magics can really impact your available funds.

Paladins specialize in taking a hit. With shield skills, high armor, and high vitality stat Paladins can minimize the damage that they take; with Flash, Cure, and some job abilities they are quite good at holding a monster's attention. Where they are weak are with monster that hit for massive damage regardless of the skills and equipment of the tank. When the monster is landing 300 damage a hit on a well equipped Paladin, that Paladin is going down like a $2 hooker and you might wish you had a ninja.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Samurais are also increasingly viable tanks, with the fact that they have a potentially endless shadow supply (Seigan + Third Eye) and have Artifact Armor that nearly rivals Paladins' in defense.

They're like a cross between a Ninja and a Paladin, only sans Healing Magic and plus tons of damage.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hey Sam: A cut scene for the OP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKlEJ8SuplE

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I hear rumor that monk can tank in the end-game, what with Counter-stance and the right gear, but I have not seen it myself.
    Samurais are also increasingly viable tanks, with the fact that they have a potentially endless shadow supply (Seigan + Third Eye) and have Artifact Armor that nearly rivals Paladins' in defense.

They're like a cross between a Ninja and a Paladin, only sans Healing Magic and plus tons of damage.

Yeah, nothing says "screw you" to a monster like 1200 damage from a Great Katana.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    GrinninBarrettGrinninBarrett Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Monks tank endgame but that's mostly from haste gear and utsusemi

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Alright, I'm starting to feel more comfortable. I listened to the Limit Break Radio newbie show. The OP is right, I wanted to punch some of the hosts in the face, but overall the information was great.

I picked up some of the Grilled Hare they mention, but I'd like to learn to make it. According to FFXIclopedia, the Cooking guild is located in Windurst. Is that the only place I can learn cooking? If so, I guess I should wait until I have my airship pass.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Alright, I'm starting to feel more comfortable. I listened to the Limit Break Radio newbie show. The OP is right, I wanted to punch some of the hosts in the face, but overall the information was great.

I picked up some of the Grilled Hare they mention, but I'd like to learn to make it. According to FFXIclopedia, the Cooking guild is located in Windurst. Is that the only place I can learn cooking? If so, I guess I should wait until I have my airship pass.

You don't actually have to 'learn' cooking... you can just -do- it. At the wiki are complete recipes, and anything around level 4 or 5 you can make with just a few failures. The marjoram (an herb) you can pick up in San'Doria for pretty cheap (around 40gil each) and the hare meat... should be fairly obvious. But it is very much worth it. Also graduating from grilled hare to mithkabobs doesn't make a massive difference, but it's noticeable. Mithkabobs are more expensive, but being able to use my dagger and still damage snippers instead of hitting for 1 or 0 every time is pretty nice.

Oh, right, fire crystals... kill goblins and orcs with signet on to get those.

Dyvion on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Oh sweet. Yah, I've been looking up the recipes, and I know what I need to gather at this point. FFXIe didn't make it clear that you just sort of had cooking...or if they did, I skimmed over it.

Also, am I correct in assuming I do need the airship pass to freely move between the starting cities? That seems to be the consensus from everything I've read. Obviously I could run it, but I doubt I would make it at my level.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh sweet. Yah, I've been looking up the recipes, and I know what I need to gather at this point. FFXIe didn't make it clear that you just sort of had cooking...or if they did, I skimmed over it.

Also, am I correct in assuming I do need the airship pass to freely move between the starting cities? That seems to be the consensus from everything I've read. Obviously I could run it, but I doubt I would make it at my level.

Yeah, I find as a newer player it helps to make goals not job related but more player related. Travel time = money, so outposts and airship passes should be a primary goal.
    As a new player your priorities should be something like this:
    1. Hit 18 to get subjob
    2. Hit 20 to get chocobo
    3. Hit Rank 5 to get airship pass (Higher levels can help you do this in the 20-30 range if you ask for help)

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So I stopped in a pawn shop today to see if they had any 360 controllers I could pick up (they were the same price as at Wal-Mart... used... sheesh) and I saw a copy of FFXI 2007 collection for the 360 on the shelf, unmarked, so I took it to the register, and the lady said "it's not marked, so 10 bucks." So now I have it for my 360. Installing right now. Gonna see how I like it on the TV vs. the computer. For one thing the couch is way more comfortable than my computer chair. We'll see if my wife mutinies over it.

Dyvion on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You don't HAVE to join a guild until you want to pass your skill level 10 cap.

Each rank requires you to be at the '6' (6, 16, 26, etc), and you make a level 8 (8, 18, etc) item for the 'test'.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Smashism wrote: »

Yeah, I find as a newer player it helps to make goals not job related but more player related. Travel time = money, so outposts and airship passes should be a primary goal.
    As a new player your priorities should be something like this:
    1. Hit 18 to get subjob
    2. Hit 20 to get chocobo
    3. Hit Rank 5 to get airship pass (Higher levels can help you do this in the 20-30 range if you ask for help)

More specifically about traveling:

To move freely yes, more or less. But that's not exactly a short term goal, and you'll likely want to go to other nations before this (in fact you'll have to for mission 2-3 anyway)

Prior to your airship there are things you can do to speed up your travel (if any of this is redundant, sorry).

1) Do as many of your nations outpost supply run quests as are reasonable for you (I have OCD about getting them all, but there's no good reason for a level 20 or so to bother getting the Xarcabard OP, even if you do the quest you can't actually use the teleport till 40 anyway). This will allow you to warp directly to that outpost, even if your nation ends up losing control of it. It'll be more expensive if you lose control but trust me, even if you have to pluck down 450g, teleporting to the valk OP is way way way way way better than running there. I just said it in a round about way, but you can do the supply runs even if you're too low for the actual teleport itself. But if you've done it (the game will keep track with a (complete) next to the region's you've done) when you do get high enough level, you're good to go. Here's a link to the wiki on it:
    http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Supply_Run_Mission
    It tells you the NPC's that give you the missions and all the related info is linked. It should be noted that the only runs you'll be offered are those to regions currently (every week a new tally takes place) under your nations control.

2) Get every crag crystal you get near. In the short term, the important ones are Dem, Holla and Mea. Having the crystals will allow you to have a WHM use the teleport spells to send you directly there. Holla is in La'thiene Plateau, Dem is in Konschtat Highlands, and Mea is in Tahrongi Canyon. There's a chocobo person at each crag (and the other crystal ports, later) so if you have your license this will make things even faster. The first time you go to each nation, you will, unfortunatly, have to hoof it. If you're in Sandy there's honestly no faster way to get to Windurst, if you've never been, than to run. Later you'll want to take the time to get the Altep, Yhoat, and Vahzl crystals but they're not terribly important untill you'd normally be going there anyway (or, as I did, get them when you're doing the OP run to the same zone) Wiki: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Teleport

3) Get your Chocobo License. When you get it is sort of up to you, but you can't even get the quest until your current job is level 20. What I usually do (usually? Yes, this is actually my 4th character over 20, I keep letting them lapse and get removed) is get my first job to 20 before I even worry about leveling my second job. I.E. I did MNK to sub for WAR before I touched WAR or even had my subjob quest done. I did MNK straight to 20 and went to Jeuno before going back to WAR, to get my License. I did this for several reasons. One, I didn't wan to to wait till I had leveled up another 20 levels when I only needed to get 2 more to get my License. Also, once you have your License, you can use the chocobo stables in capitals (not at the crags) at level 15 on any future jobs. So having done it when I hit 15 on my WAR after leveling MNK, it was easier to get around. Also once you're 20 you can combine this with the Crag teleports to go very (relatively) quickly from capitol to capitol before you get your airship pass. As long as you can get a port. Wiki for License Quest: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Chocobo%27s_Wounds

4) Run. Sadly, this is a requirement. No matter what you do you'll have to hoof it a lot early on. And some of the runs are looooooooong. At the very least you'll have to hoof it to Jeuno for your Chocobo License; and hoof it from Mahura to Windurst to do 2-3 (alternately if you have your license you can ride a chocobo from Jeuno to Windy, but I typically don't wait till then to go to the cities for the first time. You may be more patient than me, however). So for ease when looking at the maps in-game, since it's not always readily apparent what zones connect to what if you're not in them (and even sometimes then...) here's a few zone progressions: (I'm assuming you're Sandy. If not, shame on you; but just reverse them and you've pretty much got it.)

Sandy -> Windurst
    Sandy > W. Ronfaure > La'thiene Plateau > Valkurm Sands > Selbina (take boat) > Mahura > Buburimu Peninsula > Tahrongi Canyon > E. Sarutabaruta > Windurst

Sandy -> Bastok
    Sandy > W. Ronfaure > La'thiene Plateau > Valkurm Sands> Konschtat Highlands > N. Gustaberg > S. Gustaberg > Bastok

Sandy -> Jeuno
    Sandy > W. Ronfaure > La'thiene Plateau > Jugner Forest > Battallia Downs > Jeuno

Sandy -> Jeuno (Alternate, some prefer, it's a bit easier, but longer, Incidentally this is more or less how you get from Bastok to Jeuno)
    Sandy > W. Ronfaure > La'thiene Plateau > Valkurm Sands > Konschtat Highlands > Pashhow Marshlands > Rolanberry Fields > Jeuno

And just in case:
    Windurst -> Jeuno
    Windurst -> E. Sarutabaruta > Throngi Canyon > Meriphataud Mountains > Sauromugue Champaign > Jeuno

5) This is optional but you might consider leveling BLM to 17, even if you'll never play it, for Warp. You can buy instant warp scrolls with Campaign Points, but they can get pricey (they're only 750, but if you use them a lot, it can eat away quickly at your points). An alternate to this is to have a job you don't level and switch to to "Blood Port". This means, say your home point is in Sandy. But you're in Jeuno. Switch to said job, run outside and get killed. Revive in Sandy. Blood Port. Or Blood Warp. Or Ghetto Port. There are now Nomad Moogles in many towns such as Selbina, Mahura, Rabao, Norg, etc. so this is even more feasable now than it used to be because you can switch your job in places normally you couldn't before to travel quickly. So, say youre in valk. Oh shit, you forgot X in your storage which you can't access anywhere but your home (not rent a rooms or nomads). You can switch to your level 1 job in Selbina, get killed (this is assuming your HP is set in Sandy), grab your item, and then go use the outpost teleport to get right back. What, before, would have taken minimum half hour just took 5 minutes, at most. Having BLM at 17 though lets you use it to do your outpost runs or other quests that you're going to solo with sneak/invis and warp back quickly instead of using a scroll or dying. No one likes to lose xp. You don't have to have BLM as your sub constantly to always have warp on hand. But it's nice to switch to quickly in Windy to warp back to Sandy; even if you have your airship pass this is WAY faster than flying.

6) Airship pass(es). To get your airship pass, as mentioned above, either finish the final Rank 4 mission (i.e. get Rank 5) or buy one for 500k. The latter is impossibly stupid so just don't do it. I'm not going to lay out the missions here, they're all on the wiki described well. You'll need help with the boss of 2-3; possibly earlier in 2-3 if you're not 25ish to solo it. You should be able to solo the first Rank 3 missions with sneak/invis. For 3-3 you'll need the help of someone who can (hopefully) cast sneak/invis and solo a 40 NM. Bri did it for me. Several LS people are nice enough to probably give you a hand if you ask nicely. And the Rank 4 mission to get the airship pass; you'll definitely need help from a high level player. When you get there try to set aside a good chunk of time (It took Smash, Bri and I just a tad over 3 hours to do it. However, read up on the missions so you know what's going on and have all your preparations done before asking for help. Sometimes there's quests linked to the missions (this is the case with 4-1, there are a lot of little leadup things you need to have taken care of before starting the actual mission itself), so check out the wiki for info on that. Wiki: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Missions just click your nation and read the guides. Everything you need to know is in them.

In addition there's a second airship pass (which you might get first; I did), the Kazham Airship Pass. To get this you either pay 148k or get a chest key from Giddeus, Palborough, and Ghelsba. You can ask for help from someone higher level if you'd like. I soloed it fairly easily at 24 as WAR/MNK; and you don't need it till 25 anyway since that's what level you want to go to Kazham. wiki for quest: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Airship_Pass_for_Kazham Click the keys and you'll get a link with where and what drops them. As with the normal airship pass, DO NOT BUY IT. It might be tempting if you have the cash; but it's totally not worth it. It's not terribly difficult to get the keys. You might have to kill a lot of crap but you'll also get drops and experience (both for your level and just general gameplay experience). Just hoof it to the zones, or Chocobo, whatever. They're all linked within one zone from every Capitol, so none are hard to get to. And if you're 25 you can just walk through all the lower level trash without even worrying about it to get to the guys that drop a key.

So yeah. I hope that helps. Again, there's always the option of buying an airship pass instead of doing missions for it, and it may seem tempting. But that's 500k down the drain and I really would advise against it even if you have the cash. You don't need to travel often enough before you can do the quest anyway to make that money worth it, not even close, and 500k is WAY harder to get than doing missions. Way. Harder. I'm serious. Don't do it.

I'm sure there's other tips that people who have played more and longer than I could give.

EDIT: Also, I use this and <3 it so much:
    http://www.pyogenes.com/ffxi/timer/v2.html

It's pretty much a FFXI clock. It is more or less self explainitory; but it's invaluable to know when to catch boats, airships, your RSE, just to know what the days elements are going to be, what time they'll be at, etc. Shop times and holidays so you don't waste your time running there to find out the shop you need is closed. So useful. I have it up always.

EDIT2: Added in airship stuff. Hur dur.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm assuming you're Sandy. If not, shame on you;
    F U

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That's pretty much ace. The only other modes of quick travel would be the handful of teleport items, the teleportation services in Al Zahbi, and Campaign teleports/cavernous maws.

You can skip getting Aht Urhgan access until about 55, unless you want the advanced jobs. Complete a handful of quests after becoming a mercenary and you'll be able to warp from any nation to Al Zahbi, and from there to either Jeuno or your home nation. The Campaign teleporters are very handy if you're missing outposts, especially for Ronfaure, Gustaberg, and Sarutabaruta, but I wouldn't advise trying to explore the past until you have reliable (spells) forms of sneak and invisible. As a bonus, if you make it to an allied nation in the past and complete the very easy quest, you'll get a pair of enchanted movespeed+ shoes with 15 charges on them that speed up walking considerably.

Xhero on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm assuming you're Sandy. If not, shame on you;
    F U

NO U

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    So, despite having just written a novel in how to get around in FFXI, I felt like I should echo what Smash said about picking something and focusing on it.

Virtually every time I've resubbed and quit it's been pretty much because I'll get back and be completely overwhelmed with the world. I'll log back in and "ZOMG I gotta do this quest and that quest and level that dozen jobs and zomg this that this that so much arrgggggg!!!!!!!! /cancel"

Quests will still be there later. This isn't Pokyman. You do not, in fact, "have to do them all".

Same with missions. However the difference is they're way more linear and there's way fewer of them. You should pick up missions as you're leveling and do them at a reasonable pace. While some are just filler, a lot have quite good story and cutscenes. This aspect alone makes FFXI stand out from every other mmo. It has (many) very in-depth story portions of the game and there's actually a plot that moves and is carried out.

Don't worry about crafting early on. For one it's just way the hell too damn expensive. Two, it's harder than you'd expect to craft (i.e. it's not WoW). And 3, seriously, it's fucking expensive.

Take a break from the grind. If every time you log in you immediately put your flag up that's all you'll be doing. And sometimes you just won't get a party. It's really easy to sit there for an hour or two and not see a single party invite. It's really easy to get discouraged with this happens. Take these times to do those quests you've been looking at. Run to another city; grab some crystals. See the world a bit. FFXI does sadly punish whimsical exploration, but if you pay attention to mob levels and zone boundaries; much of the world can be seen by a low level player. This may seem boring; but when you consider the craftmanship of the game world, you'll likely be impressed; even for a game this old. This isn't your everyday MMO. It's clear they didn't just take a texturemap, apply it to a terrain generator, throw in some ground litter and call it a day. every zone is clearly hand crafted and cared for by the designers. And more or less all of them are entirely unique. Yes, there are themes but you will rarely, if ever, see carbon copies of another zone.

Also kill some shit. For the most part, most jobs can kill Easy Preys (as long as they're not undead) no matter where you are. If you're just running from city to city, kill a few mobs to break the monotony of the run. You'll get some XP and you'll get some loot.

But don't sweat x job down the road. It will take time to get your first 30, trust me, I just got mine. If you're leveling, say, WAR only thinking about being a PLD, well then you won't enjoy your time as a WAR and every level just seems like PLD is that much farther away. Pick a job to enjoy and enjoy leveling it. If it happens to work great as a sub for a unlocked job, awesome. If not; it's not like you wasted time. Remember it's a videogame and entertainment. Technically it's all wasted time :P

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Yay... it's almost done patching... turns out you can't be logged onto the 360 version patching and play the PC version. Oh well... almost done, and I'll get to try it on the 360... yay. Not expecting anything major, just a comfortable place to play :)

Dyvion on