As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXI] December Update Patch notes. 1up press interview. KWEH!!?!?!1one

• Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well hit me up in game if you ever want to party. I'm usually doing EXP parties, since my highest is level 59 I can't really do too much.

Jania is my in game name.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Malechai wrote: »
    So once upon a time I use to play FFxi all the time. I was kinda wondering if BLM is still basicly a pariah after level 50? Might actualy get my taru ass ported off of phoenix and try out the sceen on carbuncle.

Basicly I miss the old skill chain magic burst style of partys that were replaced by manaburns and tp spam. The teamwork aspect of the old style was one of the most apealing things other than the plot that made xi so special for me.

I've done solo, campaign, and besieged since 40. I find that I get a few burn party invites (I'm 70 now), but at this point, I'll probably end up grinding out those last 5 on my own. I have never had an issue of getting a party for my subjobs though. That is never an issue it would seem, though maybe it will change when I start to level thf.

Also, screw colribi.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wow, you guys just killed any desire I had to resub. BLM was the most fun I ever had and it was what made me want to come back a lot.

That's a load off my mind :lol:

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, I was riding home from class today and I was thinking about how much I miss getting together with my 6man everything static for missions and ksnm, shouting at everyone over vent and having everyone to swear to never play with each other again during the battle then somehow pulling out a victory and getting back together to do it all over again the next week. Alas everyone who I played with has stopped playing :(

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DoctorGateuxDoctorGateux Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kainy wrote: »
    Wow, you guys just killed any desire I had to resub. BLM was the most fun I ever had and it was what made me want to come back a lot.

BLM Solo/Small Grouping is what made me lvl BLM to 75. The EXP was fast and convenient. It's not SC/MBing, but it's reliable and fun.

I duo'ed with a friend of mine from around 30-75, and certainly preferred it over parties.

DoctorGateux on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    lol, all 11 tablets already found

Xhero on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Out of curiousity, how much is it to move a character in FFXI? I was thinking of starting back up recently, but I don't know anyone on Remora anymore, and wouldn't mind popping up in one of the more PA populated servers to get back into the game.

Also, if anyone is playing it on the 360, how much space does this thing take up these days for a full install?

Aoi on
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kainy wrote: »

Sorry for being a kill joy. Though if you havn't finished COP I'd sugest getting back into it just for that throwing myself against the ultima omega fight was probably the most fun I ever had in that game. Did that with a ninja thf 2blm rdm and whm. Magic bursting blizzaga2 and bliz3 over and over for some serrious numbers for what was concidered at the time the hardest fight in the game. Though I hear they nerfed the whole COP fights since then I imagine should still be a blast.

Though stay away from dynamis lord. That fight is just stupidly hard and even with everyone firing off 2 hours left and right he always goes to kill the manafonted blms first.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Aoi wrote: »
    Out of curiousity, how much is it to move a character in FFXI? I was thinking of starting back up recently, but I don't know anyone on Remora anymore, and wouldn't mind popping up in one of the more PA populated servers to get back into the game.

Also, if anyone is playing it on the 360, how much space does this thing take up these days for a full install?

I believe it's 25 for a transfer.

As for the second question, I don't know. Sorry.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Called square again about my security token.

Since the issue has been escalated, all info is in black hole mode.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Go Go Rank 8.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »

IIRC with all the expansions its 12gb.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, I'm finally 70, which means I HAVE to fight Maat at this point. I know we've got some blm mains kicking around here. Do you guys have any suggestions for the fight? Gear I don't have that I'll need, that sort of thing?

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    LilithiumLilithium __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    I have a Lvl. 1 BLM on Midgardsormr right now. I used to have a Lvl. 75 WHM about three years ago. I'm trying to motivate myself to play FFXI Online, but I'm unable to find the reason to. It sounds like HNM raids are the same as they were then, albeit with new items, which obtaining them is even more delightfully difficult than the older hard-to-obtain items. Which really doesn't make obtaining the older items any easier!

So, with HNM stuff squared away, what else is there to do? I want to get Fishing maxed out. Something along the lines of crafting, because I'm not really that motivated to camp an HNM spawn for hours. What else can I do low level besides missions(which have a nice level requirement. I don't want to spend hours grinding for experience. I understand it's become easier to do so, but it's still the same, and I want no part in that. How are those mini-expansions faring? Could I do those to spend my time in-game, or do they require Lvl. 75?

Lilithium on
    What's that ringing? Ting-ting-a-linging in my head~? Oh, you're always there, making me whole. You're always waiting up for me. You're my first kiss, ever so pure, and ever so defiling, once lost, can never be the same. Fuck me. Violate me. Deny me.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    My vital statistics:

Chat frequency - 163784
    Conversations with NPCs - 31161
    Parties joined - 1424
    Alliances joined - 58
    Battles fought - 21548
    Number of times KO'd - 513
    Enemies defeated - 20813
    GM calls made - 8

Days waiting for Square Enix Security token - 34.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »

IIRC with all the expansions its 12gb.

-_- Damn it. PC it is I guess.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    On PC, my SquareEnix folder (inside the playonline folder) is 9.3g

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    KitsurubamiKitsurubami Winnipeg, MBRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Was finally able to secure a copy of the Vana'diel Collection 2008 off of Gamespot, since my 14 day trial ran out. They confirmed my order last night, so it should probably be sent sometime next week. Hopefully I'll get it before Friday so I can start playing again.

It's kind of a pain to find a copy of this game. Not even the expansions - the base game is even more rare, at least in Canada.

Oh, and Direct2Drive sucks. For the longest time they had 'Available in Canada and the United States' on their site for the collection, but it still wouldn't let me download in Canada. After I had found out via the Allakazham forums that I needed to use my ISP's address to download it (due to some Byzantine process through which D2D sells MMO codes), I see that they finally removed Canada from their list. 'cos, you know, it's so hard to distribute digital content over physical borders, which are imaginary to begin with.

They still haven't responded to my ticket, either. :x Jerks.

In regards to my character, I happily managed to grab an anniversary ring before my account ran out, and leveled BLM to 14 and WHM to 14 in the space of about a day. That's pretty tremendous, as I can't stand mage jobs as a role. I've buckeled down to finish them off before even my warrior sub, as I want the utility of Teleports and Warp, coupled with the ability to solo as a DRG/WHM. I never did make the leap to level WHM on my old character, which is part of the reason I got so frustrated with my DRG. There's a ton of stuff that I'd like to do (farm, NMs, RSE even) that requires that combo.

Looking forward to getting my character ready for CoPs, too. :)

Kitsurubami on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Dodging my questions, as usual!

Lilithium on
    What's that ringing? Ting-ting-a-linging in my head~? Oh, you're always there, making me whole. You're always waiting up for me. You're my first kiss, ever so pure, and ever so defiling, once lost, can never be the same. Fuck me. Violate me. Deny me.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    There's a ton of endgame stuff to do that doesn't involve camping HNMs.

Assault - http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Category:Assault

Zeni Notorious Monsters - http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Zeni_Notorious_Monsters

Limbus - http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Category:Limbus

Salvage - http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Category:Salvage

Einherjar - http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Category:Einherjar

This content ranges from six players (in the case of Salvage) to multiple alliances (in the case of Einherjar).

Plus all the usual stuff involving Dynamis, Sea/Sky, and the CoP wyrms.

ZNMs are great because they involve trading an item to a point to force-pop a NM, as opposed to waiting on pop times or farming placeholders.

Nyzul Isle Investigation
    is what I'm most interested in doing. It's essentially a hundred level dungeon that you roll through with six people, with a number of different objectives per level ranging from 'Light all the lamps without killing anything' to 'Kill everything in sight'. Plus, there's always the chance of NMs from all over the world spawning - and they drop their loot! So, for instance, you can run into a turbo-charged version of Leaping Lizzy, and she'll sometimes drop her boots.

There's a lot of cool mini-games that they've added, too. Pankration is the FFXI equivalent of Pokemon Arena, wherein you capture and raise a mob and have it fight for you against other people's mobs. You can also raise chocobos, or even make your own dungeons with the Moblin Maze Monger thingy.

A lot of this is pulled from the wiki, as I don't have experience with any of it (having never taken a job to 75). But, there's a lot to do in the game once you hit max levels, that's for sure. I'd venture to say that FFXI has the richest endgame environment of any MMO out there, since it isn't just about facerolling raid content like in WoW.

Plus, you can fight sandworms in WotG areas and get zoned into special areas with NMs that drop REALLY nice loot.

I'm sure you're aware of at least some of these options, but from your post, I gathered that you were mostly looking for something different then camping HNMs like Fafnir and K.Behemoth for black belt items. :P

Kitsurubami on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh yes, I am so not interested in camping Fafnir, Jormungund, and Vrtra again. Fuck those assholes to Gehenna, FUCK THEM TO GEHENNA!

Salvage sounds really cool, especially the turbo-charged version of Leaping Lizzy. I remember when I was strolling by on my Thief, years ago, and by chance, I got the catch of Leaping Lizzy. The funny thing was that my Thief was Lvl. 20 at the time, and there was a legion of Lvl. 75 Rangers, Ninjas, and so on camping her. People were so upset that she spawned as I was happening to run by.

Best part was that they dropped! I was so happy..

Lilithium on
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That's not Salvage that Nyzul Isle Assault. Salvage is a completely different beast all together. Check out http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page to get yourself familiar with what's new.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ah, right. I meant Nyzul Isle. That's the six person version, and I've always been a fan of small group content in MMOs.

As for the Leaping Boots, I ran across Lizzy on my level thirteen monk when I first started the game and the boots. I gave them to a friend I knew in RL at the time - I think she still has them on her character, but it's been a long time since I spoke to her. :P

Kitsurubami on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ah, right. I meant Nyzul Isle. That's the six person version, and I've always been a fan of small group content in MMOs.

As for the Leaping Boots, I ran across Lizzy on my level thirteen monk when I first started the game and the boots. I gave them to a friend I knew in RL at the time - I think she still has them on her character, but it's been a long time since I spoke to her. :P

Yeah, that old account with my WHM was banned. They accused me warp hacking in La'thiene Plateau, while on a chocobo. At the time, Comcast was being as fantastic as it usually is, and experiencing connection troubles, which caused me to lag out temporarily, and then back in, without disconnecting, which they took as warp hacking, which I curse SE for to this day.

Lilithium on
  • Options
    RatmikeRatmike Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Now that I actually have time to play this I have some questions before I take the plunge.

1. As I'm starting the game fresh is there any specific class that would be better off starting poor? I was thinking of starting a white mage, but a friend who played the game years ago said that's a bad idea due to spell costs or some such.

2. Does choosing your nation at that start have any major effect later in the game? Like, if I roll Hume and choose windurst will the other humes hate me for hanging out with ewoks and catgirls and prevent me from doing something important?

Ratmike on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    1: Monk is easy to start with.

2: No

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ratmike wrote: »
    Now that I actually have time to play this I have some questions before I take the plunge.

1. As I'm starting the game fresh is there any specific class that would be better off starting poor? I was thinking of starting a white mage, but a friend who played the game years ago said that's a bad idea due to spell costs or some such.

2. Does choosing your nation at that start have any major effect later in the game? Like, if I roll Hume and choose windurst will the other humes hate me for hanging out with ewoks and catgirls and prevent me from doing something important?

Bri failed to mention you lose the opportunity of getting your race's home country's ring, which is nice. Trust me, roll Bastok while starting off as Hume, and then if you really don't like it, go to Windurst or San d'Oria. Besides, Bastok has an easy time getting to Valkurm for the first time. Nothing like dodging Lvl. 20 monsters in Bubimiru Peninsula, or La'Thiene Plateau.

Lilithium on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    But you can get the "starting ring" of whatever nation you are aligned with using conquest points. You don't lose out, you just get it later.

And I would hardly call not having a level 1 ring right off the bat a "major effect later in the game".

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If your server's Bastok is regularly in first or second place, I'd probably suggest sticking with them unless you really hate the Bastok storyline. Once you get your feet under you and get some outpost warps, Bastok makes one of the best places to base yourself out of; especially Bastok Mines. You have an AH right there, chocobo stables, a home point, a mog house, and outpost warps all within 10-second runs from each other.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Starting city doesn't really make a hill of beans to me, I am ranks 10,10,8.

Once I get Bastok to 10 though I think I am going to go back to San d'Orian. I like the room better there, and miss my cozy fireplace.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    But you can get the "starting ring" of whatever nation you are aligned with using conquest points. You don't lose out, you just get it later.

And I would hardly call not having a level 1 ring right off the bat a "major effect later in the game".

Not for you, Bri, why would it affect you? For new players STARTING OUT, the ring is great. It's one of the few you can get before Lvl. 10, and if you don't have money for the Lvl. 10 rings, at least you'll have a minor increase from the Nation ring.

Lilithium on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Believe it or not I started the game with a new character once too.

A Mithra as a San d'Orian.

It is a minor thing, even at level 1. If you don't have it, you won't lament its absence.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well, in any case I ended up rolling up a monk and punching some bees to death for that field manual quest before having to get some sleep. Thanks for all the advice, guys.

Ratmike on
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lilithium wrote: »

Not for you, Bri, why would it affect you? For new players STARTING OUT, the ring is great. It's one of the few you can get before Lvl. 10, and if you don't have money for the Lvl. 10 rings, at least you'll have a minor increase from the Nation ring.

A +1 to base stats isn't going to make any appreciable dent in your performance during those levels. With FoV and EXP rings, you'll outlevel the ring so fast it won't even matter anymore. It really, really, doesn't matter.

If they had stats like a considerable chunk of bonus MP, or hMP, or +ATK or something like that, then sure, I'd say go with your nation ring before going somewhere else. But they don't, so I can't.

Murphy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ratmike wrote: »
    Well, in any case I ended up rolling up a monk and punching some bees to death for that field manual quest before having to get some sleep. Thanks for all the advice, guys.

Server and character name?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Monk is definitely the best job to start out with if you plan to level any melee jobs in the future, for several reasons.

1) Equipment isn't an issue for the early levels, especially if you start in Sandy or Bastok. For 1000 CP, you can get either the Legionnaire's Knuckles or the Cesti for Sandy - they'll last you into your early 20s. Also, since MNKs don't need anything except stats that boost their offensive ability, there isn't a lot you need to worry about armor-wise at this point. The Power Gi is nice to get, and very inexpensive.

2) The best subjob for warrior early on is MNK, 'cos of Boost. A Warrior/Monk alternating boosts with provokes will tank better than any other job at that range - I daresay they're better than Paladins, at least before 30 or so.

3) It's not the most difficult job in the world to get a handle on, so you can focus on getting used to game mechanics while you roll around punching stuff in the mouth.

I'd suggest taking Monk to 20 before worrying about leveling warrior - that way, you don't have to go back to the Dunes if you want to take it up later, and you can run to Jeuno to get your chocobo license right away.

Kitsurubami on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You can also practice making awesome macros that alert your party to what your Boost status is complete with calls (call 1 is the best).

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    MY POWER LEVEL IS OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!!!!! <boost>

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ratmike: Don't listen to Bri if he offers a gold world pass to his server. Yes, PA forumers do play on it, but they suck.

They suck!

Lilithium on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Boost IS pretty damn awesome. Got that and made those bastard ninja turtle mages pay. Hard.

Since I'm level 10 now I should head to the dunes? I went to the highlands area just before them and everything was reading as a tough match or worse to me.

Ratmike on