As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXI] December Update Patch notes. 1up press interview. KWEH!!?!?!1one

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Better draw distance; likely lower res graphics. Also the HUD is ZOMGHUEG!!!!!

:P

It's not that bad. Depending on my mood (or if I want to play TF2 while I wait for a PT or something) I'll play on the 360 or PC; I have both. For some odd reason sometimes I prefer the lower resolution graphics. For some things it makes it look oddly better. It's hard to explain.

EDIT: Totally unrelated; I'm looking to buy a Field Tunica and Field Hose if someone has them, doesn't need them, or sees them at an AH. I'll pay Jeuno AH value or them if you can catch them and mail them to me (10k for Tunica, 5k for Hose). I'm also looking for 6 more Rusty Subligar. I'll also pay AH value (3k in Jeuno, 1k in Sandy). I'll take what you paid for them on honor, please don't shaft me. :P

EDIT2: Only need one more Rusty Subligar. Got 5 in Windy for 500 each!!!

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Some good advice up there.

As with any game:

Play the game. Don't let the game play you.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Some good advice up there.

As with any game:

Play the game. Don't let the game play you.

Yeah, its really easy to feel not only obligated to do certain things within the game, but obligated to play the game itself. If you don't feel like playing, don't. It's the fastest way to get burnt out.

Smashism on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Dyvion wrote: »
    So I stopped in a pawn shop today to see if they had any 360 controllers I could pick up (they were the same price as at Wal-Mart... used... sheesh) and I saw a copy of FFXI 2007 collection for the 360 on the shelf, unmarked, so I took it to the register, and the lady said "it's not marked, so 10 bucks." So now I have it for my 360. Installing right now. Gonna see how I like it on the TV vs. the computer. For one thing the couch is way more comfortable than my computer chair. We'll see if my wife mutinies over it.

Register an account with the code from the 360 version and get your wife to play with you.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited August 2008
    I am looking for an Iron Musketeer's Armet if anyone sees one. I would rather not spend the conquest points on it.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Demitri OmniDemitri Omni Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If he got it from a pawn shop, chances are the codes are used.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Okay, another one. The LBR podcast said to use my conquest points to buy an Empress Band. From looking at it's stats, it lasts 180m. Does that mean from the time I buy it, or it will last 180 total minutes equipped? I guess duration on an item sort of confuses me.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited August 2008
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Okay, another one. The LBR podcast said to use my conquest points to buy an Empress Band. From looking at it's stats, it lasts 180m. Does that mean from the time I buy it, or it will last 180 total minutes equipped? I guess duration on an item sort of confuses me.

To activate the effect you use the ring from the item menu. Anytime you are planning to grind for a couple hours or find a good group, you should use it. It lasts 7 charges and if you trade it to the guard you got it from, he will put more charges back onto the ring; for the price of more conquest points.

Smashism on
  • ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Smashism wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »

To activate the effect you use the ring from the item menu. Anytime you are planning to grind for a couple hours or find a good group, you should use it. It lasts 7 charges and if you trade it to the guard you got it from, he will put more charges back onto the ring; for the price of more conquest points.

Technically you can get it recharged by anyone capable of giving you Signet, but this doesn't matter much if you're just starting out. Keep in mind that you can only get it recharged once a week and, unlike most items that have enchantments, you can take it off without losing the enchantment

Also: once you get up there in levels (for me it was about 55-ish), if you play a job that doesn't get invites very often (black mage here) you might consider switching to the Emperor Band, especially if your primary method of solo XP gain is Campaign/Besieged

Technically the Empress Band has a bigger bonus (1000 bonus XP seven times vs 2000 bonus XP three times) but this is only true if you use all seven charges every week and wear out the max bonus almost every time. If you don't party often at higher levels, the Emperor Band is probably a better bet (although I would recommend the Empress Band over it at lower levels)

I think we can all agree that the Chariot Band is garbage though

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
    edited August 2008
    The White Mage in my current party is weaksauce.

Luckily, I am awesome.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited August 2008
    Feeling a bit burnt out myself. Taking a break for a couple days probably.
    I'll be on to fish and equip myself for the static.

edit: If anyone is ever up for those promys and I'm not on, aim me.

Smashism on
    edited August 2008
    Haven't seen Kingshand on, but Deit still needs some of them

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited August 2008
    I'll be on later today probably. I worked all day yesterday and had church this morning. I've just left my mule in jeuno with his bazaar up.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited August 2008
    One of you message me on Steam when you're up for Promyvions and I'll get ready.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2008
    Nearly to 41 on Paladin.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I wish you guys were on Bahamut, the only Promyvion run I've completed is Dem and I'd totally be up for it

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
    edited August 2008
    Arcibi wrote: »
    I wish you guys were on Bahamut, the only Promyvion run I've completed is Dem and I'd totally be up for it

The door is always open 8-)

Smashism on
  • XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You know, if we can get everyone up to the aqueducts, I'd be pretty interested in starting a CoP static.

Xhero on
  • DigitoDigito Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well, what are some other ways to make decent cash without requiring an insane amount of time? I'd say Moat Carp won't be able to sustain me for a whole lot longer, but my highest leveled job is WAR at 25. (Trying to get it to 30 so I can unlock SAM, which is what I really wanna be right now.) So I... really have no idea how to make more money than just lots of fishing up moat carp.

Digito on
  • NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Selling stacks of crystals.

Farming for crafting items to sell such as beehive chips, honey, silk thread... etc.

Looking up quests that reward you with items that you don't plan on using that sell well. IE: Travelers cap, compound eye circlet... etc.

The way I make my money is by selling almost everything I can and trying not to buy equipment that I can already borrow or might just replace very shortly.

If I remember correctly, you can quest for the teleport-Mea, Dem and Holla scrolls and sell them for a goodly sum. 100k I think, not sure what you need to do that though.

Been a long time.

BTW, I was bitten by a brown recluse. I think my leg is rotting off. D:

Noxy on
    edited September 2008
    Digito wrote: »
    Well, what are some other ways to make decent cash without requiring an insane amount of time? I'd say Moat Carp won't be able to sustain me for a whole lot longer, but my highest leveled job is WAR at 25. (Trying to get it to 30 so I can unlock SAM, which is what I really wanna be right now.) So I... really have no idea how to make more money than just lots of fishing up moat carp.

What I did at 30 was sub THF for Treasure Hunter and then hike out to Meriphataud Mountains. At the end of the spine, between Oztroja and the zone to Zi'Tah, you can find Coeurls, which drop three cash items:

[Prices on Carbuncle]
    Coeurl meat, 8000 per dozen
    Coeurl whiskers, 9000 per dozen
    Coeurl hides, 2000 per (much more useful if you can turn them to leather on the spot, but that requires investing into leatherworking).

Typically, I was able to get about two stacks of whiskers and about a stack of meat per hour. The hides are singles, which means they tend to take up a lot of inventory space. You can steal whiskers.

Xhero on
  • DigitoDigito Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hmm... how hard is it to get THF up to about 15 or so? Bear in mind I'd be THF/WAR or THF/MNK, I don't have many jobs leveled yet. Granted I'm at 25 right now, and facing down needing a fair sum of cash for my gear at this level... so 30 (and being properly geared at that level) is still a bit off, but... that's a fair sum of cash.

Digito on
    edited September 2008
    I know this is totally random; but if anyone is looking for the Auriga Xiphos (Rare, EX, lvl 19 sword) Wiki Link, I killed Chariotbuster Byakzak at roughly 2:30am MST. He's a 21-24 hour spawn on a NM kill in Fort Ghelsba. He was a fairly easy solo at 30, that includes killing the Orcish Panzer and 2 too weak adds before (if you kill the Panzer you auto get the claim on Byakzak).
    I did have a Mighty Strikes + Meat Mithkabob + Boost Sturmwind that did 700 damage. When he has 1100 hp, that's uh...a lot. >.> So that helped.

So if you're looking for an excellent sword for a 19 war/pld/rdm/drk start camping it tomorrow ~ midnight. The Panzer is a 1hr spawn. I played TF2 and watched tv between the spawns. Also it's not a very sought after weapon, despite it being pretty dang good for a level 19 sword, so there wasn't anyone else even there. But it can easily last you to 30. (Then get a Centurion's Sword)

Probably not really worth going out of your way for and camping, I suppose, but I was already in Fort Ghelsba for quests and figured why not, I'll be leveling PLD soon anyway. I went in not knowing his last kill time; and just got relatively lucky (killed the panzer 4 times, popped on the 4th); but I figure if someone else actually knows the time, it'll be all the easier for you.

EDIT: And since I'm on the subject; I recommend anyone who's planning on doing WAR and/or PLD to get a Clipeus. It's a level 9 shield, DEF 5 +1 Evasion; which is a keeper till the mid-20's at the very least, longer if you want. It drops off the Fungus Beetle NM in W. Ronfaure. Wiki Link It's a 15m-3hr lottery spawn off a few beetles there; it was just hanging out when I ran by. It shouldn't be that hard to get it to spawn normally however. It's another not terribly cared about rare/ex. but it's good and will save you some time/money for lower levels by not having to worry about a good shield for a long time.

EDIT2: I got all my rusty subligars by the way. Still need the Field Tunic/Hose however.

EDIT3: I should note that both of those items (Xiphos and Clipeus) are 100% drops off their NM's. So no 1% bullshit like some long eared bastards. If you get the kill you'll get the drop.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited September 2008
    Concerning the fishing not being enough to get you through the day: Pick up some hatchets and chop wood out in East Ron or Ghelsiba Outpost. The closest mining is available in Yhugot Grotto, but I don't know how well you will fare versus the Orcs in there.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited September 2008
    I picked up an Inferno Axe and started working up my Great Axe. Ha...ha...hahahah. Wow. I just critted an Ornery Sheep for 90 damage, after never doing more than 20 with my sword (on a crit).

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited September 2008
    So I am working on my Great Axe/Axe/Shield skills so I can start partying in the Dunes and be a tank or DD as required.

Beyond using Provoke, is there anything more I need to know about low level tanking? Are there some guides you guys recommend on how agro works in FFXI and what JA/WS's to use for threat gain? I am assuming it's mostly job dependent, but the only real agro thing I have right now is Provoke.

GnomeTank on
    edited September 2008
    Taking both your two previous replies together, I am under the impression that you have some misconceptions about how tanking works.

The tank has two important roles in the party, and often only the first gets any attention. That first part is, obviously, keep the monster hitting you and don't die.

The second is that as the tank you have the final say on where that monster stands and which direction it faces. This is important, because with AOE and cone attacks you have a lot of control over how much damage other people in your party take. Pay very careful attention as to where everyone is standing, especially your DD's. IF you lose control of the monster, it will go for the DD's or the mages first, and if it his with a cone attack you can help control splash damage. You can really reduce downtime if you do it right.

First, do not tank with a 2 handed weapon. Reason number one is that hitting the monster is an important part of emitity control, and with a 2 hander you may miss often enough to jepordise your control of the monster. The second reason is that you will want to use a shield if the monster is hitting you.

Next consideration is that if you are getting hit by a monster, you will want evasion or vitality gear. If you are trying to do damage to a monster you will want atk and strength gear (as an example, your milage may vary).

As a Warrior you will typically keep multiple sets of gear on your person and macro them in depending on the situation. If you are off-tanking you will be wearing damage gear and then if the monster turns to you, switch to tanking gear. If you are serving in a DD role you will be using the 2 hander.

Warrior is a mroe flexable job than it may appear without consideration.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited September 2008
    I wasn't planning on tanking with a two hander, thus why I am out grinding axe skill right now :)

As far as multiple gear sets, that's great...except I have 30 inventory slots. Please tell me there's a way to get more, because two gear sets would eat that alive.

GnomeTank on
    edited September 2008
    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited September 2008
    I knew about the Mog Safe and Storage, I did not know about the Gobbiebag quests.

GnomeTank on
    edited September 2008
    Actually, you'll probably be fine tanking with a great axe as long as you sub monk. Boost itself generates a ton of enmity if you spam it, about 1/3 a Provoke, and you can do it twice while Provoke is cooling down. Plus, Shield Break is excellent at nearly all levels pre-Raging Rush. Let one off early in a fight and the fight will go much quicker, and you'll also have no problems landing your swings.

Xhero on
    edited September 2008
    I can't sub anything for a while ;) So I'll stick with Axe + Shield. I was planning on leveling monk anyway, so I'll try a WAR/MNK at some point.

GnomeTank on
    edited September 2008
    Honestly, I've always preferred Great Axe on my WARs, even when they're tanking without a Monk sub.

More damage = more hate.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2008
    Also, has anyone seen any estimates on what day the version update will come on?

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2008
    Also, has anyone seen any estimates on what day the version update will come on?

No clue at all. Heres hoping to the first half of the month.

Last night my buddy finally made the time to sit down and play. We duoed for a few hours, exp isnt so great grouped at a low levels like that. We had a blast regardless, pulling more orcs than we should, and fighting enemies way too tough for 2 adventurers.
    He also learned the stresses of having mobs chase you through an entire zone. Hahaha, good times, I think I got him hooked.

Smashism on
    edited September 2008
    You have no idea the stress of having monsters chase you through a whole zone any more! They actually give up now if they can no longer see/hear you after a while. They use to chase you fo-evah!
    Honestly, I've always preferred Great Axe on my WARs, even when they're tanking without a Monk sub.

More damage = more hate.

YEs, but remember that without a shield you take much more damage too!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yes but if you kill them faster with your more damage, you're taking less damage overall.

Murphy on
    edited September 2008
    Edit: Whatever, it is a dumb argument and I am not going to continue it.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited September 2008
    Chalk another one up to preference. Use whichever works for you. As a Galka (and even as a Hume) I tanked with a Great Axe up to 33 (both with and without /ninja and utsusemi).

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2008
    I have been playing a mage so long, I can't stop moving in game without using the /heal command.

Just_Bri_Thanks on