As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXI] December Update Patch notes. 1up press interview. KWEH!!?!?!1one

• Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Any word on the update? I heard on the LS that there would be down time tonight, then I got a call from work asking me where I was. "I'm on swings this week." "No, you're on mids, you're late!" "D:"

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    Demitri OmniDemitri Omni Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Bri said tonight, that there was some message, which I did not see at all.

I don't know what you're on Bri, but I'd like some.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    No, I said there was downtime today, and I was wondering if it was the update.

And I don't know how you could miss the message, seeing as how you have to click past it every time you want to play the game.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Agreeing with Bri. Every time you login, you have to click past the downtime message to load FFXI :P

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Responding a bit late but... I am SO camping that beetle for a Clipeus asap. Thanks for the tip Dude. I didn't even know that thing existed.

RawrBear on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    I need more Dhalmel pie.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Eticket109Eticket109 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    No, I said there was downtime today, and I was wondering if it was the update.

And I don't know how you could miss the message, seeing as how you have to click past it every time you want to play the game.

Was it for the game servers or the registration servers? I haven't seen any maintenance notes posted anywhere.

Eticket109 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Registration servers, but typically they do content updates at the same time.

In this, however, I was wrong about the play servers going down it seems. It was about 2AM when I wondered aloud if that was what they were doing.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hooray, filled my buffer

Now I can start meriting

I'll probably start with the AM2 line (starting with Freeze II and Burst II) and then move on to thunder potency/ice potency

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The High Breath Mantle is a crutch, but it is such a nice one...

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Registration servers, but typically they do content updates at the same time.

In this, however, I was wrong about the play servers going down it seems. It was about 2AM when I wondered aloud if that was what they were doing.

I have never seen them announce registration server AND content server maintenance at the same time. They do the maintenance for reg servers every month around pay time.

Also, I'm glad I remembered payment was coming up, I might have had my account suspended for insufficient funds.

EDIT:

Never touch the stuff.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Arcibi wrote: »
    Hooray, filled my buffer

Now I can start meriting

I'll probably start with the AM2 line (starting with Freeze II and Burst II) and then move on to thunder potency/ice potency

But you're still doing it on the wrong server. >.>

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited September 2008
    First ever full party wipe on Paladin! Only took 42 levels.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Eticket109Eticket109 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I loved that thing. I wore it from 38 until 75.

Eticket109 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Earth Doublet looks good. Doesn't match my Armet, but it looks good.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    DRG and SAM get!

Well, in 3 hours SAM get, but the quest is done.

So that's DRG SAM SMN PLD and BST I've unlocked so far.

EDIT: My previous plan was to just level PLD and SMN for sub for WHM for the static. But I dunno. I like having a pet follow me around. And there seems to be an abundance of PLD out there. I might do DRG instead.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    How difficult was opening SAM? It's something I plan to do someday.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    GRAH, I've been double charged.
    Getting the busy signal, I'll call in the morning when everyone is working.
    Upsetting :(

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Smashism wrote: »

When did you start your sub?

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Last month, sometime.
    I made a character on fariy. Said screw this server, cancelled that sub. Renewed Samash and my mule.
    I think thats where it got confused. I read the policy though and it said they wouldn't double charge like that.

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Last month, sometime.
    I made a character on fariy. Said screw this server, cancelled that sub. Renewed Samash and my mule.
    I think thats where it got confused. I read the policy though and it said they wouldn't double charge like that.

If you resub in the middle of the month it'll show as a double charge the next month (it's charging you full for the previous month, regardless of when you resubbed). It looks this way because SE has a fixed date they resub everyone; it doesn't matter when you subbed in the first place.

If you look back at Aug you shouldn't see a charge when you resubbed.

It's just showing now.
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    How difficult was opening SAM? It's something I plan to do someday.

Not difficult, but I had help. It's not soloable (at least not by a 30). I had a 50-something WHM (who was also doing it; he had ports which made it WAY quicker) and a 72 PLD (just helping). It was easy this way, and quick because of the teleports. If you were to do it without teleports, you'd still need a higher level player (probably 60+ if only one person is helping) to kill the NM's for you. I mean, you can help; but they're doing most of the work.

In the end it probably took an hour? But if you had to chocobo/airship everywhere, a couple hours probably from start to finish. Most of that is travel time though.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    So after reading what King said I went ahead and checked the month of august, since they charged me twice for september.
    Sure enough, you are right King. They double charged me for sept cause I was never charged for august.
    All is good in the hood.

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Holy crap; do SAM stay as proportionally strong as they are at low levels, at higher levels?

Because I'm doing level 10 damage at level 2. Damn near 1 shotting everything I run into.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Now sub it with dancer and never run out of TP to heal yourself. :D

Noxy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Fonjo wrote: »
    Now sub it with dancer and never run out of TP to heal yourself. :D

I am doing this post-60 and it is delicious.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Samurai are damn near fucking monsters.

Dancers are unquestionably overpowered.

Reces's Peanut butter cups?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I was partying in the Dunes yesterday, taking on 15-17 Hill Lizards (mind you, I am 11, the rest of the party was 12-13). We had a 12 SAM tanking for us...he was a monster. Crazy damage, even to monsters 3-5 levels higher than him.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    And at 25 they get Hasso.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    They are increasing exp gain on easy Prey and decent challenge monsters this coming update.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/2008_-_(09/03/2008)_September_Version_Update_Preview:_Part_Two

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    They are increasing exp gain on easy Prey and decent challenge monsters this coming update.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/2008_-_(09/03/2008)_September_Version_Update_Preview:_Part_Two

I'll give a tentative "Could this update get any fucking better?!??"

But I'm interested in seeing how "substantial" the xp increase is. (quotes because their words)
    And at 25 they get Hasso.

Seigan is pretty damn awesome too.

Man, SAM are pretty cool. I got to level 7 last night in what had to be some sort of a record. I can count the number of times I had to rest on one hand.

Still liking the style of DRG though. We'll see. Too many good Jobs.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    I am glad you like SAM, because it's my first target advanced job, hehe. I even killed Carnero last night to get Katayama and stuck it in my mog safe for down the road.

(I shouldn't say that, I didn't kill anything, a friendly 61 BLM killed it for me, lol).

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    After reading that update addition, it seems that Squeenix is softening their stance on soloing a bit, as it seems that change is aimed directly at soloers (as parties don't tend to fight easy/decent challenge monsters). Perhaps they've realized it can be intimidating to get groups at level 11 your first time through the game :P

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well, that's why I said I was tentative in my statement.

The wording on the POL site makes it actually sound like the EP/DC changes are geared toward parties, not solo. But it could be they're getting a bonus across the board?

I think the idea is that parties, like valk ones, can not worry so much about always getting an IT mob for "max" xp; they can grab easier ones for quick decent xp. Of course you still won't chain off EP/DC mobs, but they go down so quick that if the xp increase is good enough, you could theoretically balance the XP gains. To a degree. I can't imagine they'd make it so you could gain as much xp in a party fighting DC's as you could IT's.

We'll see though. As it is, there have been a lot of little changes here and there over the years that has made soloing a viable option for many classes (albeit a very slow one). This would just be icing.

EDIT: I also need to go get that Great Katana from S. Gustaberg. Is the NM in the mountain there?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Well, that's why I said I was tentative in my statement.

The wording on the POL site makes it actually sound like the EP/DC changes are geared toward parties, not solo. But it could be they're getting a bonus across the board?

I think the idea is that parties, like valk ones, can not worry so much about always getting an IT mob for "max" xp; they can grab easier ones for quick decent xp. Of course you still won't chain off EP/DC mobs, but they go down so quick that if the xp increase is good enough, you could theoretically balance the XP gains. To a degree. I can't imagine they'd make it so you could gain as much xp in a party fighting DC's as you could IT's.

We'll see though. As it is, there have been a lot of little changes here and there over the years that has made soloing a viable option for many classes (albeit a very slow one). This would just be icing.

EDIT: I also need to go get that Great Katana from S. Gustaberg. Is the NM in the mountain there?

It's on Vomp Hill somewhere. It can basically spawn anywhere on the hill where an Ornery Sheep would normally spawn. What me and this BLM did was just run around for 45 minutes whacking every sheep we saw (because I guess it's a "lottery spawn", which I didn't know about until last night). Eventually we rounded a corner on level 2 of Vomp HIll and he was standing there, munching grass. So we took his shiny sword from him.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    cool, thanks. I just couldn't tell from the map if it was a cave or something else. I'll check it out tonight.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    cool, thanks. I just couldn't tell from the map if it was a cave or something else. I'll check it out tonight.

He CAN spawn in the cave. The SAM I was partied with last night told me that's where he got his, but he spawned for me just on the path circling level two of the hill, just below the cave.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I camped that Fungus Beetle for a good 6 hours yesterday (thankfully I was doing more than just camping for a good 4 of those hours) and I didn't see the bastard once. Ether I'm really unlucky or I'm not looking in the right place. I think at this point I'm going to give up and go find a party instead next time I log in.

On the plus side I killed enough beetles to hit 14 on WAR..... so I guess that's good.

RawrBear on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    RawrBear wrote: »
    So I camped that Fungus Beetle for a good 6 hours yesterday (thankfully I was doing more than just camping for a good 4 of those hours) and I didn't see the bastard once. Ether I'm really unlucky or I'm not looking in the right place. I think at this point I'm going to give up and go find a party instead next time I log in.

On the plus side I killed enough beetles to hit 14 on WAR..... so I guess that's good.

According to FFXIclopedia, he is a 15 to 180 min spawn timer, and his place holders are specific:

"If you are using Widescan, there are 3 Scarab Beetles in area (H-8); the next single Scarab Beetle is the placeholder for the Fungus Beetle."

This is different from Carnero, I think, who is listed as a "true random" spawn with no specific place holder.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm pretty sure Carnero is also a lottery spawn; he's considered "truly random" because there's no set minimum spawn time. He could spawn on a kill, then immediately on the next kill spawn again, then not spawn for 6 hours.

But he still requires a placeholder to be killed. You're right though about those beetles. You need to constantly kill them as they pop or you'll never see the Fungus Beetle.

Totally different subject:

No is a perfectly acceptable answer here, but I was curious if we could make the static this week Thur or Sat night instead of Fri. I can still make Fri either way, it'd just be easier to make one of the other nights.

If not, for whatever reason, no biggie. Just thought I'd ask.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    I have no preference.

Just_Bri_Thanks on