The New Comic Book Movies (And Games) Thread

• Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Skrull Thor!

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Beta Ray Bill?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    they don't have the balls to use Beta Ray Bill

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Skrull Beta Ray Bill!

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, uh, maybe they're going to be doing something like Fraction's Thor one-shots?

Sort of a weird decision, though.

Not really. It's easier to explain why he's tied to Blake over the course of an intro movie containing full-on Fractionesque asskicking than it is to just jam it in via narrator over the opening credits.

At least, that's how I prefer the story be told. It's just neater that way to see the myth incorporated fully before you drop a guy into Manhattan and play out Thor's wacky adventures as a cross between Ultimates and the varied myths that have been created about Thor. Fraction using original or at least older myths rather than taking the Lee/Kirby approach of "I can do better" is in its own way a new myth. I don't recall the Norse legends ever having Odin bind his soul with a man's anyway (off the top of my head).

Anyway, I also like this long-term agreement with Paramount for the next five films. They seem to have a good relationship and assets at Paramount willing to do really good action movies based on existing licenses. Plus, hey, they mentioned a Captain America movie by name in the announcement. That fucking rules.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So Iron Man DVD huh? I bought that collectors edition for the 2nd disc. It comes in an Iron Man faceplate case. I don't like it

smokmnky on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I bought it at Fred Meyers and got a free iron man t-shirt.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So does anyone else see the similarities of an Asgard-only Thor movie, then Thor showing up in Manhattan in the Avengers movie, out of his element...

...and Beastmaster I and II?
    god DAMN did I love Beastmaster II

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Has there been any talk about a SHIELD movie? I think a super spy comic-themed movie would be cool. Especially if it featured Black Widow. Nick Fury would be cool too. And you know they could get Samuel L. He takes practically every move that's pitched to him.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well, Best Buy is selling the Hasselhoff version for like $5 on DVD to coincide with Iron Man's DVD release.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    http://www.newsarama.com/tv/100801-GraysonsonCW.html

What?

This gets green lit and I still don't have my damn Gotham Central show?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    http://www.newsarama.com/tv/100801-GraysonsonCW.html

What?

This gets green lit and I still don't have my damn Gotham Central show?

I am no longer a target demographic. I dont know how to feel about that.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Relieved?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23342

So it seems that the Green Lantern movie is actually happening.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The Graysons are Coming to The CW
    Source:Variety
    October 1, 2008

The CW is developing a series based on Batman sidekick Robin's pre-Caped Crusader days, reports Variety.

"Smallville" executive producers Kelly Souders and Brian Peterson, as well as "Supernatural" executive producer McG, are behind "The Graysons," which has landed a put pilot commitment at the network.

Just as "Smallville" focuses on Clark Kent in the years before he became Superman, "The Graysons" will follow the world of Dick "DJ" Grayson before he takes on the iconic Robin identity and aligns himself with Batman.

"The Graysons" is seen as a potential replacement for "Smallville" should that show end its run this season, which has been speculated. Should "Smallville" return next year, "The Graysons" might also make a strong companion piece.

In the one-hour "Graysons," which will be set in modern times, young DJ will face challenges involving first loves, young rivals and his family as he grows up. Souders and Peterson have come up with an original take on the character.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wow, that sounds both uninteresting and terrible. Seriously though, "DJ"?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23342

So it seems that the Green Lantern movie is actually happening.

The only thing about this that worries me is the "new draft" of the script. I hope it's just a cleaned up version of the script that we were told was awesome, with Guy Gardner and Clark Kent and such.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Wow, that sounds both uninteresting and terrible. Seriously though, "DJ"?

So basically what we've got is a story about a family of acrobats that don't fight crime and don't have adventures. Do you think the people who greenlight that one had any fucking idea about Robins backstroy?

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    They'll probably get another 25 year old model to play a spritely 13 year old.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited October 2008
    They've come up with an "original take" on the character. Which probably means they'll change whatever they want so that the whole "going to be Robin" thing is pointless anyway. Why not just do a Robin or Nightwing series? Something based on the early Nightwing solo series with him living in Blüdhaven.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Too close to Birds of Prey, I imagine.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    DMAC wrote: »
    They've come up with an "original take" on the character. Which probably means they'll change whatever they want so that the whole "going to be Robin" thing is pointless anyway. Why not just do a Robin or Nightwing series? Something based on the early Nightwing solo series with him living in Blüdhaven.

Gotham

Central

Bloods End on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited October 2008
    I could get behind that.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    We don't need Gotham Central because we're already getting a Powers TV show

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think the point was just that if they're gonna make a TV show set within the Bat-world, it should be something cool. Not something Ultra-Lame like the adventures of the out-of-continuity Graysons.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    McG. That bastard fail written all over him.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited October 2008
    McG is an executive producer on Chuck, so as long as he doesn't direct anymore episodes I'll be okay with him.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Having worked for a television show this summer, I can say that all these producers care about is distorting things into the most watered-down, universally acceptable bull shit for the sake of hitting as wide an audience as possible and making money. A Gotham Central T.V. show would be awesome, but there's no way it would get the budget it would require, and people would probably be less apt to watch it than you might think (or hope). Smallville and Heroes were successes because of how bland they were. This is what The Graysons (wow, it hurt to type that) will be.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Geebs whatever you do don't read the CBR interview with Zachary Levi and Josh Gomez

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Geebs whatever you do don't read the CBR interview with Zachary Levi and Josh Gomez

is that the one where zachary levi says gambit is his favorite comic character

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

and gushes about Rob Liefeld

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008

and gushes about Rob Liefeld

if I can get past mcg being involved I can get past one man's shitty opinions

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    HankScorpioHankScorpio Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    McG is an executive producer on Chuck, so as long as he doesn't direct anymore episodes I'll be okay with him.

Did he direct the second episode last season (with the helicopter)? Because that one was not very good at all. The rest of them, fantastic.

HankScorpio on
    Scorpiohank.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I think the pilot was the one he directed.

Which I thought was pretty good

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    McG was also an executive producer for The OC.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

don't care, chuck is a great show and they've mined the OC for some good guest stars already

(also yes, McG directed the first episode which wasn't bad aside from some massive McG-isms)

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

don't care, chuck is a great show and they've mined the OC for some good guest stars already

(also yes, McG directed the first episode which wasn't bad aside from some massive McG-isms)

Geebs, completely off topic...

Go cubs, go. Go cubs, go. Hey, Chicago, what do you say The Cubs are gonna win today.

Seriously Dempster better step it up tonight.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    750k word novel? Geez, Moore, that's going to kill me.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Every time read an Alan Moore interview, I come out of it thinking that even though I love his work to death, he's a douche who I would hate to be around.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
This discussion has been closed.