Options

The New Comic Book Movies (And Games) Thread

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    So, not to argue with you, but if you accidentally killed your wife, lost your lifes work, your funding, your reputation and had 4 mechanical arms bonded to your spine permanently, all in one afternoon, you'd not be insane?

He lashed out at Spider-Man over his work and that was before the chip was broken.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DW, I think you're doing it wrong. He doesn't try to stop the tentacles from doing what they do, they act out his desires, He is not absolved of any responsibility.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, not to argue with you, but if you accidentally killed your wife, lost your lifes work, your funding, your reputation and had 4 mechanical arms bonded to your spine permanently, all in one afternoon, you'd not be insane?

He lashed out at Spider-Man over his work and that was before the chip was broken.

You forgot "killed a room full of people without noticing until it was too late".

Furu on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The reporter says something along the lines of "arent you worried about them influencing you?" to which he responds with the handy, dandy yet ill-shielded inhibitor chip that stops them influencing him.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Chris Nolan's Spider-man? That's pretty random, and I have no idea what makes you think he would do a great job with the source. I don't want a super realistic, dark Spider-Man.

What the Spider-man films really need is a sense of fun. That's really what's lacking from the films, and I LOVE Spider-man 2.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Chris Nolan doesn't necessarily mean dark. Just means he doesn't go from pyjamas to specially tailored suit he made himself in his bedroom. Means all the villains don't use Mary Jane as a focus because the writer can't come up with anything else, means all the villains don't die and means Spider-Man 3 doesn't happen.

EDIT: And it means the Green Goblin would look good.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Christopher Nolan should just make every movie

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well his brother to. As I understand it his brother does the bulk of the writing.

EDIT: Things I think would improve the films
    Spider-Man 1
    * Make the Goblin look like a villain and less like a marketable toy. If they could make Alien queens run and fight women in mech fork-lifts like a decade before, they can make decent prosthetics and make up for Dafoe.
    * Cut the lamer part of the bridge scene, with the new yorkers, its hurts to watch
    * Hire a choreographer for the last fight scene so it doens't look like it was ripped from a scene of He-Man the cartoon. I almost expected to hear the sound effect from when a cartoon character slips on a banana.
    * Don't contain the final fight between two aerial bound super humans to a tiny little house
    * Give him a lesser Spider-suit, a work in progress rather than the elite piece of crap he wears.
    * Hire a writer specifically to give him one liners. I don't know how anyone can claim to be a fan of Spider-Man then make it devoid of one-liners
    * Have MJ die at the bridge or Gwen, whoever

Spider-Man 2
    * Remove the stupid tentacle AI
    * Improve the power-loss subplot so its less awkward and underwhelming and illogical.
    * Save Doc Ock, at the end after the fade out following the wedding thing, hes there in a jail cell, all 4 arms strapped to the wall and a desk in front of him with a book of poetry or something on it.
    * Remove scenes that involve Doc Ock throwing cars at people he thinks are human whom hes trying to get info from berfore then throwing that same person into a brick wall
    * Less scenes without the mask while in costume
    * Less Jesus pose in the train
    * Less blowjobing while on the train to Spider-Man
    * Less Aunt May especially the scene on the side of the building
    * Add in a scene at the start of him taking out Shocker, just so that world doesn't seem like ours, boring and with nothing going on apart from low level crime until the next super villiain periodically pops up and dies.

Spider-Man 3
    * Make Black Spider-Man actually evil/agressive and throw in another low level super villain for him to demonstrate how far hes almost gone. This replaces the crappy slap scene
    * Remove the Gwen sub plot
    * Remove the butler reveal
    * Give Harry a mask and make Pete think its the old one, at least momentarily, fuck with him a bit
    * Remove the ending entirely:
    *No Giant Sandman
    *No crowds of onlookers including childrenbeing allowed to stand around aimlessly while two violent criminals execute someone
    * No lame joke scenes about cameras AS someone is executed/No lame news scenes
    * Less Aunt May, possibly kill her off.
    * Unlame the Sandman origin, keep the actual ascension from the sand though, that was at least done right
    * Keep Brock alive and the symbiote, separated
    * Have the symbiote arrive by shuttle with MJs ex, could explain the suit getting to Spider-Man by him being at the space shuttle crash or even MJs ex hunting him down while posessed with the suit for stealing his fiancee.
    * Less romance, the films are all romance, its fucking boring.
    * No "Mj in danger" ending, again.
    * Have Venom say "We are venom" so that we can at least assume its more than a mindless liquid just prone to screaming and mindless killing.

And for all three films, replace Maguire and Dunst.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DarkWarrior, I'm really not trying to troll here but do you ever make positive posts? Every time I see you post it's about how much you hate things, particularly TV and Movies related. Especially Spider-man 3 and Heroes.

I mean, do you like anything except complaining about things you don't like?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Did anyone see Push?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Virral wrote: »
    DarkWarrior, I'm really not trying to troll here but do you ever make positive posts? Every time I see you post it's about how much you hate things, particularly TV and Movies related. Especially Spider-man 3 and Heroes.

I'm passionate about fixing wrongs. If I like something theres not much need to gush. However if you actually check my post history instead of using your anecdotal observations, you'll see whats good gets good and whats bad gets bad. Funny how things work in that crazy allignment system.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Virral wrote: »

I'm passionate about fixing wrongs. If I like something theres not much need to gush. However if you actually check my post history instead of using your anecdotal observations, you'll see whats good gets good and whats bad gets bad. Funny how things work in that crazy allignment system.

The only thing I can even agree on is Spider-man 3 sucking. Most of the rest of it is silly shit that attempts to make it Batman. Bear with me, it might be confusing but mine will preface with ~
    Spider-Man 1 * Make the Goblin look like a villain and less like a marketable toy. If they could make Alien queens run and fight women in mech fork-lifts like a decade before, they can make decent prosthetics and make up for Dafoe. ~It was supposed to look like a super-advanced "flight suit" modified to be villainous. * Cut the lamer part of the bridge scene, with the new yorkers, its hurts to watch ~This I can agree with. * Hire a choreographer for the last fight scene so it doesn't look like it was ripped from a scene of He-Man the cartoon. I almost expected to hear the sound effect from when a cartoon character slips on a banana. ~This is kind of how it looks when real people try to emulate Spider-mans movements. * Don't contain the final fight between two aerial bound super humans to a tiny little house * Give him a lesser Spider-suit, a work in progress rather than the elite piece of crap he wears. ~What purpose does this serve? * Hire a writer specifically to give him one liners. I don't know how anyone can claim to be a fan of Spider-Man then make it devoid of one-liners This I can agree with. * Have MJ die at the bridge or Gwen, whoever ~Err, they'd have to introduce her first. Spider-Man 2 * Remove the stupid tentacle AI ~Superscience. * Improve the power-loss subplot so its less awkward and underwhelming and illogical. ~Uhh this is pretty much a common comic subplot. * Save Doc Ock, at the end after the fade out following the wedding thing, hes there in a jail cell, all 4 arms strapped to the wall and a desk in front of him with a book of poetry or something on it. ~Would've been nice, but they can always handwave him back even crazier. * Remove scenes that involve Doc Ock throwing cars at people he thinks are human whom hes trying to get info from berfore then throwing that same person into a brick wall ~What better way to get Spider-mans attention than randomly killing someone who happens to be his friend? * Less scenes without the mask while in costume ~Again, fairly common. * Less Jesus pose in the train ~Do you "get" symbolism. * Less blowjobing while on the train to Spider-Man ~YEAH EVERYONE ALWAYS HATES SPIDER-MAN! * Less Aunt May especially the scene on the side of the building ~Dude, do you READ Spider-man comics? * Add in a scene at the start of him taking out Shocker, just so that world doesn't seem like ours, boring and with nothing going on apart from low level crime until the next super villiain periodically pops up and dies. ~A common issue I've had is the lack of random grunt-level super villains. Spider-Man 3 * Make Black Spider-Man actually evil/agressive and throw in another low level super villain for him to demonstrate how far hes almost gone. This replaces the crappy slap scene * Remove the Gwen sub plot ~I liked Gwen, though. * Remove the butler reveal ~Or make it less hamfisted. Like have the butler reveal that he was holding it in out of respect, but it's his fault it got so far (A more natural reveal. Not "OH YEAH HE KILLED HIMSELF" and more "I never knew how to tell you that your father was a crazy bastard who killed himself, but now it's a bit too far to hide it.") * Give Harry a mask and make Pete think its the old one, at least momentarily, fuck with him a bit * Remove the ending entirely: *No Giant Sandman *No crowds of onlookers including childrenbeing allowed to stand around aimlessly while two violent criminals execute someone * No lame joke scenes about cameras AS someone is executed/No lame news scenes * Less Aunt May, possibly kill her off. * Unlame the Sandman origin, keep the actual ascension from the sand though, that was at least done right ~Err isn't that his actual origin? Or close to it? Again... * Keep Brock alive and the symbiote, separated * Have the symbiote arrive by shuttle with MJs ex, could explain the suit getting to Spider-Man by him being at the space shuttle crash or even MJs ex hunting him down while posessed with the suit for stealing his fiancee. * Less romance, the films are all romance, its fucking boring. * No "Mj in danger" ending, again. * Have Venom say "We are venom" so that we can at least assume its more than a mindless liquid just prone to screaming and mindless killing. ~Venom didn't say "We" "Us" etc in his earliest appearances.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Actually, I do kind of wish the Goblin was just makeup. Part of what makes Green Goblin fun is you're like "holy shit! Is that just like, a goblin? Are there goblins? That makes no sense!" and then he's like "oh I have a good prop department." It's always been a silly villain costume, but a fun and unique looking one. The one they did for the movie just looked like "Iron Man in $200".

The Spider-Suit complaint I don't get, though. I mean, he's always looked like he was wearing a perfect suit because that's just how it works. I assume it's because no one would ever go out in tights unless at the least they were decent tights.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So the Wolverine: Origin's clip was pretty good. I'm curious to see the rest of the clips.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    NabobNabob Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Did anyone see Push?

Yes, it was quite bad. My friends and I did have a good time making fun of it though.

Nabob on
    3DS Friend Code: 3325-2367-6821
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well his brother to. As I understand it his brother does the bulk of the writing.

EDIT: Things I think would improve the films

And for all three films, replace Maguire and Dunst.

Except that they helped make being in a super-hero movie cool again and you're stupid for crying about THEM of all things. They weren't awesome, but did a fine job of portraying the characters.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I felt that Spider-Man 2 was a great movie about Peter Parker. How horrible his life is and how everything goes wrong even when he does the right thing. And how all his friends somehow become his enemies, or being Spider-Man at least messes up his relationship with them.

It was a horrible Spider-Man movie, though. I think he only made one (bad) joke the entire time.

And 3 is fun if you just laugh at it the entire time, preferably with the volume muted.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited February 2009
    christopher nolan is not even close to perfect as a filmmaker and I wouldn't want him anywhere near the spider-man franchise

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Nabob wrote: »
    Did anyone see Push?

Yes, it was quite bad. My friends and I did have a good time making fun of it though.

I saw it tonight, I thought it was...okay. Had some big plot holes, though!

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Topher Grace should have been Spider-Man.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Actually, I do kind of wish the Goblin was just makeup. Part of what makes Green Goblin fun is you're like "holy shit! Is that just like, a goblin? Are there goblins? That makes no sense!" and then he's like "oh I have a good prop department." It's always been a silly villain costume, but a fun and unique looking one. The one they did for the movie just looked like "Iron Man in $200".

The Spider-Suit complaint I don't get, though. I mean, he's always looked like he was wearing a perfect suit because that's just how it works. I assume it's because no one would ever go out in tights unless at the least they were decent tights.

A bad Spider-suit might've worked if you knew it was going to be the first in a trilogy, but I assume they didn't know for sure at the time. If you only get one movie it needs to look good.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Didn't the original pitch have him not putting a proper costume on until the end?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Stan Lee should have directed spider-man.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Hahaha, that would have been amazing.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    stan lee wanted to be J.J.J. in the movie but they wouldn't let him

Langly on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Langly wrote: »

He should have been Betty Brant

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

in the documentary he says that they wouldn't let him because he was too old, but I'm pretty sure they were just being nice.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

in the documentary he says that they wouldn't let him because he was too old, but I'm pretty sure they were just being nice.

Stan Lee is no longer in mint condition.

Seriously though, there should be a directors cut where he plays every role.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Stan Lee should've been the Hulk

not banner

the hulk

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Stan Lee should've been the Hulk

not banner

the hulk
    Nothing would ruin sex with Liv Tyler faster than turning into Stan Lee.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ruin it

or make it better?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ruin it

or make it better?

EXCELSIOR

I think turning into Steven Tyler might ruin sex faster than turning into Stan Lee

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Scooter wrote: »

A bad Spider-suit might've worked if you knew it was going to be the first in a trilogy, but I assume they didn't know for sure at the time. If you only get one movie it needs to look good.

I just think you could've made a suit that looked good without it looking so beyond his means to make. As far as I'm aware, the comic costume is literally just a spandex suit with webbing print instead of that weird raised webbing it has with the fairly awful Spider-symbol on the chest.

Muffin Man, while I would've appreciated better formatting (your response is just a wall of text for me) I agree with your thoughts and am willing to consider your others. As for "We are Venom", is there some mandate on only using initial comic origin stuff? Because if it wasn't aprt of him originally, it does add something to him, though I will concede that he may not say that until he learns to resist the suit and retain his own identity.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'd rather have a costume he couldn't feasibly make than something that looks silly.

And the raised webbing was probably there because it'd be hard to make out black lines on camera.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    DW, I think after reading your comments over the last X number of months that despite you and I both being mid-20s males, we fall under drastically different audiences. I think you'd feel more at home with Spawn than with anything else, all things considered.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

maybe because JK Simmons is the perfect JJJ

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

maybe because JK Simmons is the perfect JJJ

seriously. I think I would rather have seen Stan Lee as Spider-Man then taking that role away...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    so true, movie J. Jonah Jameson is one of the few action figures I still have.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'd rather have a costume he couldn't feasibly make than something that looks silly.

And the raised webbing was probably there because it'd be hard to make out black lines on camera.

How would it look silly? Itd essentially be the same thing except not made from individual sequins and without the raised webbing.

And better eye pieces.

And I liked Spawn. You guys don't seem to understand that I'm not in favour of changing the films entirely, you could keep most of the premise, I'm just interesting in removing the stupid which is about 6/8 of each film.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

How would it look silly? Itd essentially be the same thing except not made from individual sequins and without the raised webbing.

And better eye pieces.

And I liked Spawn. You guys don't seem to understand that I'm not in favour of changing the films entirely, you could keep most of the premise, I'm just interesting in removing the stupid which is about 6/8 of each film.
    Something's not lining up here, beside the fact that the first two were great flicks. Whereas Spawn sucked a lot of dongs.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.