edited September 2008
    What is that

Edit: Huh.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, it'd be pretty neat if they went with the less known Captain America.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Isaiah Bradley, muffin.

And frankly, that would be awesome.

That is a pretty cool idea.

And hey, isn't there plans for Young Avengers movie too? Be a nice tie-in for Patriot.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Patriot to be played by Tom Brady. #&%#ing stuntcasting!

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Will Smith for Captain America?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38249

Ugggghhhhhhh.

Keith is going to shit, too.

I was just telling anjin how it would be amazing

never no not at all

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    No Heroics, British superhero comedy. Midget Juggernaut, Fat green beetle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3zpMTKvvgk

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wow. I'm going to have to watch the internets for that one.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    yeah that looks pretty good to me

edit- that whole seeing just a minute or two into the future thing worked out pretty well for nick cage in that movie. you could win a lot at the craps table, for instance.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey, it was the Green Beetle. With Lobster Claws!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    http://blog.newsarama.com/2008/09/08/caine-depp-hoffman-in-for-next-batman/

Interesting little tidbit that might indicate that Johnny Depp will be playing the Riddler in the next Batman film, joined by Philip Seymour Hoffman as the Penguin. I'd take it with a grain of salt, but not bad choices, certainly.

Edit: Also, Superman movie reboot confirmed: http://www.newsarama.com/film/080822-WBRebootSuperman.html

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Crap. This means I get no Superboy in the next film?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Philip Seymore Hoffman as the Penguin sounds awesome. Johnny Depp as The Riddler sounds like they want to shoe-horn a big name into a roll that doesn't fit him.

I just don't see Captain Jack Sparrow as being a good Riddler (let's face it, Depp has played the same character in 90% of his movies since 2000).

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Agreed!

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Should've done that with the last Superman movie.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Here's a bit more on No Heroics.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    No Heroics looks great.

Will Smith as Captain America...I have friends who still bitch about the Kingpin being black in DD, though they have a good point because Kingpin is suppose to represent "the man" holding people down.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Kingpin is sooooo not "the man".

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

I just don't see Captain Jack Sparrow as being a good Riddler (let's face it, Depp has played the same character in 90% of his movies since 2000).

So true. I don't want to see Captain Edward Nigma.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Err, no, he hasn't.
    2000 Chocolat Roux
    Before Night Falls Lt. Victor, Bon Bon
    2001 From Hell Inspector Frederick Abberline
    The Man Who Cried Cesar (Limited release)
    Blow George Jung
    2002 Lost in La Mancha Himself (Johnny Depp)
    2003 Once Upon a Time in Mexico Sheldon Jeffrey Sands
    Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl Captain Jack Sparrow Nominated - Academy Award for Best Actor
    2004 Happily Ever After L'inconnu
    Finding Neverland Sir James Matthew Barrie Nominated - Academy Award for Best Actor
    Secret Window Mort Rainey
    2005 The Libertine John Wilmot, 2nd Earl of Rochester
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Willy Wonka
    Corpse Bride Victor Van Dort first voice-over role
    2006 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest Captain Jack Sparrow
    2007 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End Captain Jack Sparrow
    Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street Sweeney Todd Golden Globe Award for Best Actor - Motion Picture Musical or Comedy
    Nominated - Academy Award for Best Actor

And geez, prior to the release of Pirates, you probably wouildn't have guessed that Johnny Depp was capable of playing Jack Sparrow either.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Err, no, he hasn't.
    2000 Chocolat Roux
    Before Night Falls Lt. Victor, Bon Bon
    2001 From Hell Inspector Frederick Abberline
    The Man Who Cried Cesar (Limited release)
    Blow George Jung
    2002 Lost in La Mancha Himself (Johnny Depp)
    2003 Once Upon a Time in Mexico Sheldon Jeffrey Sands
    Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl Captain Jack Sparrow Nominated - Academy Award for Best Actor
    2004 Happily Ever After L'inconnu
    Finding Neverland Sir James Matthew Barrie Nominated - Academy Award for Best Actor
    Secret Window Mort Rainey
    2005 The Libertine John Wilmot, 2nd Earl of Rochester
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Willy Wonka
    Corpse Bride Victor Van Dort first voice-over role
    2006 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest Captain Jack Sparrow
    2007 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End Captain Jack Sparrow
    Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street Sweeney Todd Golden Globe Award for Best Actor - Motion Picture Musical or Comedy
    Nominated - Academy Award for Best Actor

And geez, prior to the release of Pirates, you probably wouildn't have guessed that Johnny Depp was capable of playing Jack Sparrow either.

Once Upon a Time in Mexico
    Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
    Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
    Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

and also Fear and Loathing.

All are pretty much the same character or at least have aspects of the same character.

I'm not saying Depp is a bad actor, I actually find him phenomenally entertaining. However, he's gotten away with playing the same character over and over for a long time now.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I can't believe you just said Hunter S. Thompson is pretty much the same character as Willy Wonka and Jack Sparrow.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I can't believe you just said Hunter S. Thompson is pretty much the same character as Willy Wonka and Jack Sparrow.

I didn't say that. I said the characterization is similar. If you honestly can't see the similarities in his Hunter S. Thompson and Jack Sparrow you're either blind or watching 21 Jump Street by accident.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A lot of those characters are pretty similar though, like SatanIsMyMotor says. There's a flamboyant, theatrical element to most of them that I can see Depp bringing to The Riddler as well. I guess that could be a good thing, as long as he doesn't go overboard with it.

Personally Riddler and Penguin don't really grab me as villains the way the Joker does anyway. I think someone like Bane would be better, but the Bane from Knightfall who's actually really smart as well as super-strong, preferably not the Bane from Batman X (or whatthefuckever that travesty was called) who's basically a big retard in a gimp suit.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I didn't say that. I said the characterization is similar. If you honestly can't see the similarities in his Hunter S. Thompson and Jack Sparrow you're either blind or watching 21 Jump Street by accident.

What are you talking about? General eccentricity? Flamboyance, as fray suggests? Those similarities are kind of broad, aren't they?

Never mind the fact that, even if Depp's past few roles have been comic and outlandish in nature, it by no means indicates that he's somehow lost the ability to play something else. I mean, fuck, it's not like he's walking into sets dressed like Jack Sparrow when the role calls for something completely different.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    He does own his own island though.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

What are you talking about? General eccentricity? Flamboyance, as fray suggests? Those similarities are kind of broad, aren't they?

Never mind the fact that, even if Depp's past few roles have been comic and outlandish in nature, it by no means indicates that he's somehow lost the ability to play something else. I mean, fuck, it's not like he's walking into sets dressed like Jack Sparrow when the role calls for something completely different.

Look dude, I said I felt he was being shoe-horned into the role - not that he couldn't play it. I'm not sure why it's upsetting you so much but I seriously think you're deluding yourself by not recognizing the similarities in the characters he's played recently. Admitting so doesn't mean you have to take your Johnny Depp poster down in your bedroom.

Furthermore, I've said I like the guy's acting. I also like Brad Pitt's acting but I don't think he'd fit the role of the Riddler either.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You realize that this is exactly what people said about Heath Ledger, right?

If an actor's been typecast, it isn't necessarily because he can't play anything else, especially if his filmography shows that he's far more versatile than the past few years might suggest.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

If an actor's been typecast, it isn't necessarily because he can't play anything else, especially if his filmography shows that he's far more versatile than the past few years might suggest.

Well not exactly. I thought Ledger would play a fine Joker - as did a lot of other people.

It's apples and oranges my friend. In Ledger's case it seemed more like trying to get a great actor for an interesting role. In this case it sounds like "let's plug hugely popular actor X into villain Y role".

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Take note that the "confirmation" from Michael Caine that Depp will be Riddler and Hoffman will be Penguin comes with the qualifier that Caine said he "read it in a newspaper."

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2008

Ledger was never typecast.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I'm remembering a bunch of "WTF? The gay cowboy?"'s from various threads when it was first announced, and then around the time we started getting glimpses of him and heard him on the teaser trailer that people seemed to start really coming around to the idea.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well, it's not typecasting when you suggest an actor cannot play a certain role. It's typecasting when you say that actor can only play a certain type of role.

I don't think anyone thought Ledger could only play a cowboy - his filmography made that clear - but rather that they weren't sure how he fit as Joker. It wasn't about typecasting at all.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm remembering a bunch of "WTF? The gay cowboy?"'s from various threads when it was first announced, and then around the time we started getting glimpses of him and heard him on the teaser trailer that people seemed to start really coming around to the idea.

This was my initial reaction, except not "gay cowboy" but "the dude from 10 things I hate about you? He's way to pretty to be the joker"

smokmnky on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    In regards to a Superman reboot:

I thought Superman Returns was an excellent movie. Yes, it had some things I didn't agree with plotwise (and canon-wise) but I was able to forgive those points because the movie in general was so good.

Specifically, I thought Kevin Spacey made the best Lex Luthor ever. I really hope that in their attempt to reboot the franchise that they bring him back. I need more Kevin Spacey Lex.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I thought it was so terrible that I may have gotten cancer from it. What movie did you watch? Did someone switch disks on you and remaster Gene into Kevin?

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, Guy Ritchie is supposed to be directing a new Sherlock Holmes movie based on a graphic novel by Lionel Wigram. However, the best info I can find is that said novel is unpublished. Does anyone know any more info than that? Will the graphic novel come out soon or around the same time as the movie? Who is the publisher?

I'm curious and horrified that they might be ruining one my greatest literary heroes ever, or making him that much more awesome.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    In regards to a Superman reboot:

I thought Superman Returns was an excellent movie. Yes, it had some things I didn't agree with plotwise (and canon-wise) but I was able to forgive those points because the movie in general was so good.

Specifically, I thought Kevin Spacey made the best Lex Luthor ever. I really hope that in their attempt to reboot the franchise that they bring him back. I need more Kevin Spacey Lex.

I also really liked Superman Returns

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited September 2008
    I would love to see Clancy Brown with a shaved head as Lex. That would be a good villain.

DMAC on
  • Options
    RadculaRadcula Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    El Guaco wrote: »
    So, Guy Ritchie is supposed to be directing a new Sherlock Holmes movie based on a graphic novel by Lionel Wigram. However, the best info I can find is that said novel is unpublished. Does anyone know any more info than that? Will the graphic novel come out soon or around the same time as the movie? Who is the publisher?

I'm curious and horrified that they might be ruining one my greatest literary heroes ever, or making him that much more awesome.

I have no idea about the graphic novel, but don't worry AT ALL el guaco:

Robert Downey Jr. is playing Sherlock Holmes, so. like. sherlock holmes isn't gonna be ruined.

As for the Depp/Hoffman rumors, I do believe they were debunked - but I really really like the idea of Hoffman as the Penguin. I think Depp would make a fantastic Riddler, but the character would seem probably too similar to the Joker? I mean, in the Nolan universe it just seems that any kind of Riddler would just be a knock-off of Ledger's Clown Prince. A cool, calculating Riddler isn't as scary, and a manic, dangerous and insane Riddler is too much like the Joker. However, if I were to think that any actor could put their own stamp and spin on the role and distance it from the Joker, it'd be Depp.

Radcula on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wow. I just read some very very weird casting news for the Kick-ass Movie. It also spoils who Big Daddy and Hit-girl are.
    On set for Saturday’s shoot was Nicolas Cage, who plays Big Daddy, a former cop who trains his pre-pubescent daughter, “Hit-Girl” (Chloë Moretz), to become a lethal crime fighter.

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/09/09/mark-millar-needs-a-shower-as-kick-ass-kicks-off-filming/

(didn't we use to have a Kick-Ass thread?)

Sharp101 on
This discussion has been closed.