Options

Hello, I'm a [Mac Thread]

• Options
    DeathsHeadDeathsHead Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Adobe said 8-14 months to a universal version in February so it's possible there's a universal CS3 around the corner, but it could still be another six months. So I'd say stick with the G5 for now.

Even Adobe admit there's a performance hit:
    Mac-based customers looking for optimal performance may prefer to run Adobe Creative Suite 2, Studio 8, and their components on PowerPC systems until we release future versions of our software as Universal applications

That's from the same article.

Offer to buy your fiance's mom a Mac mini as a dowry instead ;)

DeathsHead on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I want a cheap Mac Laptop computer, for nothing other than writing for work, basically a wordprocessor at most.

Something small.

Something cheap.

Ideas?

Used 12" iBook or Powerbook. My 12" Powerbook G4 does everything I need it to (Office, MatLab, Photoshop, etc) for "work" purposes. But only if you're serious about just using it for Word Processing-type functionality...it really isn't great for gaming (unless you like bad ports of old games...and Blizzard games, of course), and lots of niche apps that I kinda like are Windows-only.

Otherwise go for the cheapest MacBook you can find.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    JeakJeak Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    DeathsHead wrote:
    Adobe said 8-14 months to a universal version in February so it's possible there's a universal CS3 around the corner, but it could still be another six months. So I'd say stick with the G5 for now.

Even Adobe admit there's a performance hit:
    Mac-based customers looking for optimal performance may prefer to run Adobe Creative Suite 2, Studio 8, and their components on PowerPC systems until we release future versions of our software as Universal applications

That's from the same article.

Offer to buy your fiance's mom a Mac mini as a dowry instead ;)

On the other hand, the performance hit isn't massive and she could get a 24" imac and plenty of ram for probably less than the G5 cost.

Jeak on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Jeak wrote:
    On the other hand, the performance hit isn't massive and she could get a 24" imac and plenty of ram for probably less than the G5 cost.

It depends on what kind of designer she is, really. The performance hit isn't too bad for low level web stuff, say cropping low res images or even some higher res wallpaper. But if you're working with a hojillion megabyte psd... yowch.
    I want a cheap Mac Laptop computer, for nothing other than writing for work, basically a wordprocessor at most.

Something small.

Something cheap.

Ideas?

Does it have to be a mac? You could get an Alphasmart Neo for a fraction of the cost of a mac and that has 700 hours of battery life and compatibility with Macs and PCs (it's basically a keyboard that caches data with an LCD, then types it out really fast for you later on when connected to a 'pooter).[/quote]

DeathsHead on
  • Options
    MiglioriMigliori Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Jeak wrote:

2GB is really the maximum on an iMac, 3GB isn't worth it from a financial point of view (2gb ddr2 sodimms are VERY expensive). Though if you just meant generally yeah 2GB is plenty, if you meant to make up for the difference in performance on photoshop (as I intepreted it before this edit, but realised you may not of meant) I don't think it would be enough to.

Migliori on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    ginguskahn wrote:
    Is anyone else having serious issues with iTunes 7 playback? Anything I do anything - and I mean anything - on my machine besides scrolling down a webpage, the tracks stutter and skip, and my entire machine slows down.

Loving iTunes7 on my 1.42Ghz/1Gb Ram Mac Mini (touch wood).

Cover flip is a little chuggy sometimes, but otherwise iTunes is awesome also on my 1Ghz/768MB machine.

May upgrade to a gig total soon.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    pxlshftr wrote:
    I can't stand itunes 7 for windows, I wish I hadn't sold my Mac right before the hot new features came out

You should switch to Media Player 11. I say this with half-sincerity since iTunes 7 ripped off MP11's interface so hard... and MP11 actually runs decently. At the very least, if you're unsatisfied it might be a good reason to try out some other stuff. I hear Foobar 2000 is really sweet.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    DeathsHead wrote:
    Jeak wrote:

It depends on what kind of designer she is, really. The performance hit isn't too bad for low level web stuff, say cropping low res images or even some higher res wallpaper. But if you're working with a hojillion megabyte psd... yowch.
    She does print media -- no video apps or Web-related items. Classic Illustrator/Photoshop stuff. I don't know the finer points of her work (I know the basics, as I work at a magazine). Essentially, I'm wondering if the performance hit via Rosetta will be offset by the overall performance increases (if there are any) of the new iMac and more RAM, and she'd be buying CS3 as soon as it comes out anyway, thus making this conversation eventually moot.

Don't know if we'd spring for the 24-incher, although it's terribly tempting -- can you use a VGA box to connect, say, a game console to the iMac screen? I was meaning to get a monitor for a 360 one day anyway.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    If she's planning on getting CS3 straight away then the performance hit will be worth the trade off once a universal binary is available. I work in print too and to be honest I'm coping.

Jeak on
  • Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Or you can always install Windows via Boot Camp and run Photoshop that way. I'm sure the extra real estate of the 24" iMac would help sell that idea.

KPC on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Lunker wrote:
    Don't know if we'd spring for the 24-incher, although it's terribly tempting -- can you use a VGA box to connect, say, a game console to the iMac screen? I was meaning to get a monitor for a 360 one day anyway.

I don't believe the iMac has VGA in, which is really the biggest reason why I don't own one.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    PiggoPiggo Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    So i would like to buy a film off the itunes store, and I have a US account, unfortunately I live in the UK so can't purchase anything using a credit card, ect. If someone has paypal in the US would they be willing to buy me a $20 itunes voucher from the itunes store, and send me the details after I paypal them $20 and a bit extra for there troubles (a few dollars)?

Please PM me if you fancy helping me out. Thanks.

Piggo on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Hiya I was hoping to gain a little help and advice for you guys.

I have owned for about a year and a half my first mac an imac mini G4 1.42ghz with 256 RAM and a superdrive built in.
    It has been working fine but reciently I have moved into a new house where the only phoneline port is downstairs (student accomedation rented btw) meaning that a wifi connection is needed, so I bought the only wireless router and USB dongle that worked with a mac the D-Link DWL-G122. The probelm I have had is that the connection only lasts about 6 seconds before disconnecting, I have found out that it could be due the the mass of radio signals from the buses, but my xbox 360 uses the wireless adaptor and works fine at all times so I figured that the USB dongle just isn't strong enough signal wise to connect.

Now I have 3 choices in solving the problem but each has major flaws:

1) Have apple or a third party install Airport into my mini along with a RAM upgrade, Im worried about how long I can keep using my mac for my illustration course and keep using new mac software before my computer becomes obsolete spec wise.

2)Keep my mini the way it is and also buy a cheap Laptop PC to run the internet as I need. The only problem is that I kinda hate windows as well as the fact my course at uni works quite a lot with macs so i would still want to keep updated with my course.

3) Buy a new macbook, If i did this I would want something I could do basic video-editing and generally more stuff that my mac does now, but its really a problem with price with what spec would be best suited for my needs (even with student discount t seems really high to get a mac to the specs I think I would need over the next two years, and with the new OS due soon should I be waiting before I purchase a new model.

Note : my budget , though I really must keep it as low as possible is around £800.

So if you were in my position what would you guys choose and why?

Thanks in advance

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Ziggymon wrote:

This is a no-brainer. You fit the Airport card because it is the cheapest option.

It sounds like you want one of us to validate your pre-made decision to spend your loan on a Macbook...

Lewisham on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Torrents:

Azureus: My personal favorite, with a great suite of options, and it seems to have more success in general at connecting to trackers.

Bits on Wheels: Kinda bare-bones, but completely native, if thats your thing.

Where's the Transmission link?
    [Chat] software:

Adium: My personal favorite chat program, and probably the only one you'll need besides...

Snak: mIRC for the mac. Yessir.

I'd say that Colloquy is the best irc client after you've configured it a bit (very easy, and it's a gorgeous OS X app).

Also... for iTunes, I'd recommend Gimmesometune and Bytecontroller. Both free and resides in the menu bar, giving you nice info and control over iTunes without having to have its window open.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    For the link to Adium, also add a link below it for www.adiumxtras.com

It's where you can get all the appearance tweaks.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    jennygjennyg Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm dangerously close to buying a new MacBook myself, which is bothering me, since I'm still cruising along on an iBook G4 that works fine; the upgrade seems superfluous. And yet....

It's funny, isn't it, what happens after you spend half an hour at Microsoft sorting index cards in a usability test, and they let you walk out of there with a free copy of Windows XP Professional (thank you, PAX, for that Microsoft booth and the friendly people wanting betas!). If you're me, you end up staring at that box and thinking, "Now I could run amok with Boot Camp without even having to buy Windows," and then you remember you have educational discounts at the Apple Store again, and pretty soon you're peering at laptop specs and it's all over.

...well, almost. I still need to fix my car first. Stupid budget. ;)

In the meantime, if anyone feels inclined to try to sway my opinion towards one MacBook/MacBook Pro model or another, have at it. I'm susceptible.

jennyg on
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    eobet wrote:
    Torrents:

Azureus: My personal favorite, with a great suite of options, and it seems to have more success in general at connecting to trackers.

Bits on Wheels: Kinda bare-bones, but completely native, if thats your thing.

Where's the Transmission link?
    [Chat] software:

Adium: My personal favorite chat program, and probably the only one you'll need besides...

Snak: mIRC for the mac. Yessir.

I'd say that Colloquy is the best irc client after you've configured it a bit (very easy, and it's a gorgeous OS X app).

I have to say that I tried Colloquy, and had to change to X-Chat Aqua. It was just too nice for an IRC app. IRC is supposed to be about gnarly, monospaced font, text interfaces :P

area on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Lunker wrote:

Desperately looking for something myself. I found this:

zomg hscroll

Anyone here used it? The Game Mode thing sounds perfect for what I want it for.

If I use an adaptor would it be possible to use the iMacs built in speakers for sound? ITs for an Xbox 360o VGA cable, if thats any help.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Lewisham wrote:
    Ziggymon wrote:

This is a no-brainer. You fit the Airport card because it is the cheapest option.

It sounds like you want one of us to validate your pre-made decision to spend your loan on a Macbook...

Actually I was hoping you would say this, I really don't want to upgrade a computer unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks for you're help

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    iTunes logo is now blue.

/discuss

Toldo on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Toldo wrote:
    iTunes logo is now blue.

/discuss

I preferred the green. But blue is growing on me.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    ben0207 wrote:
    Toldo wrote:
    iTunes logo is now blue.

/discuss

I like the blue. It's a nice change.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Okay, so running my Xbox 360 through my (yet unpurchased) 24" iMac is impossible, or at least impossible in terms that are acceptable to me (HD, no lag etc)

So, Plan B:

20" iMac (with 256mb VRam) running OS X (and WinXP thru Boot Camp)

with...

A 20" cinema display attached using a thingy to hook my Xbox 360 up to, and extended desktop when the 360 isn't being used.

So, some really important questions (this is costing about 10% of what I make in a year*, so yeah, these are bloody important questions!)
      How will games run in XP? This week, I'll be mostly be playing Source stuff, DoW and eventually Spore. How will the second display act in XP? Can I choose to ignore it when running games, or keep the game on the main screen and Foobar / MSN etc on the second. Maybe run some games over both? How will the X360 like the second monitor? I'm running it in 1024*769 mode on an old 19" CRT at the moment, and for the most part it looks awesome. Any ideas about how it'll be running it on a 20" Cinema display?

Okay. I have some other questions, but I think that's enough homework for this lesson.

Oh, and cheers dudes. You've been most helpful in spending my money thus far, so good luck in this assignment!

*Shit, I easily spend that on beer over the course of a year. How depressing.

Edit for Yal: Green is bestest. Your mum is a nice change.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    yalborap wrote:
    ben0207 wrote:
    Toldo wrote:
    iTunes logo is now blue.

/discuss

The black highlighting is the most striking change to me. I don't care for it but I'm getting used to it and will probably stop noticing it soon.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    jennyg wrote:
    I'm dangerously close to buying a new MacBook myself, which is bothering me, since I'm still cruising along on an iBook G4 that works fine; the upgrade seems superfluous. And yet....

It's funny, isn't it, what happens after you spend half an hour at Microsoft sorting index cards in a usability test, and they let you walk out of there with a free copy of Windows XP Professional (thank you, PAX, for that Microsoft booth and the friendly people wanting betas!). If you're me, you end up staring at that box and thinking, "Now I could run amok with Boot Camp without even having to buy Windows," and then you remember you have educational discounts at the Apple Store again, and pretty soon you're peering at laptop specs and it's all over.

...well, almost. I still need to fix my car first. Stupid budget. ;)

In the meantime, if anyone feels inclined to try to sway my opinion towards one MacBook/MacBook Pro model or another, have at it. I'm susceptible.

I'd say Macbook - they're perfectly good machines, and if you're happy with an iBook I'd say you wouldn't really need an MBP unless you plan on doing a lot of gaming or heavy lifting on Photoshop.

And unless you like Matte Black, get the low end white model and then buy some third party (yet good - crucial or kingston) ram and stick it in, maybe a larger hard drive if you need them. You'll see the dirt more, which is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it, and it'll scratch a little on the back, but it's a hard wearing box with lots of cool integrated shiznit. (Right click on the trackpad FTW)

DeathsHead on
  • Options
    doolallydoolally Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Dual Core 20" Intel iMac here and no problems at all with iTunes 7. I have 2GB of RAM though, so maybe that's key.

doolally on
  • Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    yalborap wrote:
    ben0207 wrote:
    Toldo wrote:
    iTunes logo is now blue.

/discuss

The black highlighting is the most striking change to me. I don't care for it but I'm getting used to it and will probably stop noticing it soon.

I preferred the green, but the blue fits better with my nearly half blue dock...

dockgrabza8.th.jpg

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The blue actually predates the green. I like the change back to it.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Vater5B wrote:
    yalborap wrote:
    ben0207 wrote:
    Toldo wrote:
    iTunes logo is now blue.

/discuss

I preferred the green, but the blue fits better with my nearly half blue dock...

dockgrabza8.th.jpg

Sibelius? You do much composing?

And someone is suggesting my dad gets a mac pro for editing 400 meg audio files... I think it's because I think my dad would like one anyways, but this seems overboard...

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    doopdoop Registered User new member
    edited September 2006
    Does the mac have any viruses?

no, because nobody makes them for that piece of shit.

doop on
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    doop wrote:

:roll:
    Take a hike, pal.

Anyone have any good dashboard widgets they'd like to recommend? I've got iStat and something that checks my mail, but I haven't found too many great ones outside of that.

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Gigglio wrote:
    doop wrote:

:roll:
    Take a hike, pal.

Anyone have any good dashboard widgets they'd like to recommend? I've got iStat and something that checks my mail, but I haven't found too many great ones outside of that.

That reminds me, I've recently switched to Mac and I've been looking for a program that allows me to easily, invisibly send all my banking details to an ip address in Nigeria. I had several on my PC, I wish someone would write one for my mac.

Also, some widgets I like are

iCal Events - displays your upcoming events for the week
    r2todo - same for your to do list
    album art - gets album art for the currently playing song on itunes

Jeak on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    DeathsHead wrote:
    Hey Mac thread, I'm thinking of sticking my macbook on a stand when I'm at home and using a cordless mouse and keyboard. Which is better to shoot for, a bluetooth Mac keyboard and Mighty Mouse (expensive option), or a cheap(er) Logitech RF combo? I could tolerate an RF dongle as long as it's not big and heavy enough to drag a Macbook of it's stand/riser.

Bluetooth. Regardless of platform or anything, RF just pretty much sucks. I had a few attempts at using it and it's OK if you don't really know much about computers and just want to not deal with wires. And you're a cheap-ass.

Still, while the mac keyboard is pretty sweet for bluetooth (it lasts a very long time), there's a good variety of other bluetooth mice that all work just fine with OS X. Some are made by Logitech. I'd avoid the MS ones, as they don't turn off naturally when not in use, and subsequently eat through batteries. And if you use rechargeables they eat through them even faster, leaving you with a wildly crazy mouse for a week followed by dead (after about 3-4 weeks of OK use).

RF was just a huge pain for me. Limited range and unresponsive, it felt like I was typing on a thinclient over 3200 baud to a OS/2 server.
    Lunker wrote:
    Heya, Mackies :D I've got a question for you -- my fiance's a designer and she currently has a G5 20" iMac (the one without the iSight built in), which she uses for Abode CS2 and all of the other designer-y programs.

She's moving in with me, and her mother floated the idea of keeping my fiance's mac and instead buying one of the new Intel iMacs for her. However, I did some research and found that there's no universal setup for CS2, so it would be running through Rosetta and allegedly takes a performance hit as a result.

So: Any opinions on if we should take up the offer for the Intel iMac or stick with our G5? Also, will the inevitable Adobe CS3 have a universal binary, and are there any release rumors of that coming down the pipeline soon?

Do it. Why? Because the mom is offering to buy you a computer.

Seriously though, Adobe is not releasing a universal binary update for CS2. You have to wait for CS3, which they've promised will be universal. In the meantime, Rosetta isn't too bad for the adobe apps. They take a long time to start up, and they don't run as fast as they would natively on that older G5, but they're not THAT bad. At work we deal with converting print journals to HTML, so we deal with photoshop and indesign, and we've got one computer that's an Intel and the rest are G5s. On the intel, I can't really see all that much difference when the person is using it, or I'm helping her out. It's not as fast as it could be, but it's not crashy or anything.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Jeak wrote:
    That reminds me, I've recently switched to Mac and I've been looking for a program that allows me to easily, invisibly send all my banking details to an ip address in Nigeria. I had several on my PC, I wish someone would write one for my mac.

Sig'd.

Also, somebody answer my big post up above.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    ben0207 wrote:
    Lunker wrote:

Desperately looking for something myself. I found this:

zomg hscroll

Anyone here used it? The Game Mode thing sounds perfect for what I want it for.

If I use an adaptor would it be possible to use the iMacs built in speakers for sound? ITs for an Xbox 360o VGA cable, if thats any help.

Yes, just get a male to male audio minijack cable, plug it into your mic/input jack on the Mac, and then plug the other end into the 360's output jack, obviously.

Now Download LineIn http://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/

Use LineIn to softthruput audio from a linein source directly out the Mac's speakers.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    So, I could've just missed it in all the hub-bub about iTunes 7 being buggy, but has the fact that you can now transfer iTunes purchased music from an iPod back into iTunes been overlooked? That's a pretty huge feature to add, as it's no longer a struggle to back up music you've purchased on another computer.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Ronen wrote:
    So, I could've just missed it in all the hub-bub about iTunes 7 being buggy, but has the fact that you can now transfer iTunes purchased music from an iPod back into iTunes been overlooked? That's a pretty huge feature to add, as it's no longer a struggle to back up music you've purchased on another computer.

Coverflow made me purchase my first couple of tunes.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    sushiboysushiboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    from another thread (but more relevant in this one)...
    Isn't that the kind of thing Automater was made to do?

Never really used Automater. How would I go about getting it to rename the mp3 tags as the file name?

sushiboy on
    Wii - 5850 0852 0940 2934
    AC:CF - 1032 4742 8889
    PM me if you add any of my codes
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I'm looking for an iTrip w/ LCD, new. Anyone have a reccomendation to purchase it online for a decent price without being raped by shipping?

4026-LCDT.jpg

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png