Options

Hello, I'm a [Mac Thread]

• Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've been having a problem where whenever I open up my applications in the finder, the finder freezes (give me the spinny rainbow) for about a minute and a half before opening the folder.

Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone know what the fuck is wrong with my machine?

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So, quick question that some of you with Crossover might be able to answer, since I can't find answers elsewhere on the interwebs.

I'm trying to make C&C Red Alert 2 run. It's...Not running. At best, I get a 'failed to initialize Ra2.csf' error. At worst, I get nothing. Any idea what in the blue hell needs to be done to make it work? I mean, hell, not even the friggin' installer works, I can only get to the initializing error by copying the files manually.

yalborap on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    So I think it'd be a huge forum faux-pas if I started a separate "LTTP: iPod" thread, so I'll just ask in here:

I'm LTTP: iPod, and I'm wondering if there're some tidbits out there that I will soon realize I cannot iPod without.

www.ilounge.com

Seriously, it's the best iPod site out there.

There's not that much to know about the iPods. Which iPod is it? 30GB? 80GB? Nano?

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007
    Man my MacBook keeps hitting like 165° Fahrenheit

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    Man my MacBook keeps hitting like 165° Fahrenheit

Ive hit 170 before

these fuckers just run hot

Especially rev A ones

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007
    How can I burn a DVD without a menu

like, one that just autoplays

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    How can I burn a DVD without a menu

like, one that just autoplays
    If you use iDVD go to the "Map" view. Anything put in the first box autoplays.

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah but won't it still go to the menu after playing everything?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I guess it would. Don't know what to do about that.

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    SpazMuffin wrote: »
    I guess it would. Don't know what to do about that.
    Isn't that normal, though?

I mean, don't commercial DVD's without opening menus still go to a menu after playing through? I seem to remember seeing this behavior on a couple of my older DVD's.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Quick Question.

I am currently using a Black MacBook, and I want to play KoTOR and BG2. What I was wondering is, I should be able to run them with the hardware in the lappy, but the two afformentioned games run with a PowerPC Processor, rather than the Intel Processor that my MacBook is running on.

So will I be wasting my money, buying a few new paperweights, or will these games be able to run on my MacBook?

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DharmaBum wrote: »
    Quick Question.

I am currently using a Black MacBook, and I want to play KoTOR and BG2. What I was wondering is, I should be able to run them with the hardware in the lappy, but the two afformentioned games run with a PowerPC Processor, rather than the Intel Processor that my MacBook is running on.

So will I be wasting my money, buying a few new paperweights, or will these games be able to run on my MacBook?

Check the developers' sites for a Universal Binary patch.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DharmaBum wrote: »
    Quick Question.

Check the developers' sites for a Universal Binary patch.

Also, will KoTOR work on the crappy graphics chip in the non-Pro Macbook?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    firesidefireside Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Can I delete the 4 gigs of garageband audio stuff without anything bad happening?

fireside on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    fireside wrote: »
    Can I delete the 4 gigs of garageband audio stuff without anything bad happening?

Well, assuming you don't want to use Garageband, sure.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah (though Garage Band won't work)

Not much of a loss, though GB is the second program I use when someone wants to play about on my Mac (Photo Booth being the first. Respectable intelligent people turn into gibbering simps in front of that thing)

ben0207 on
  • Options
    MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You could find a copy of Toast.

Option to burn w/out menu (though you still get the stock blue DVD menu), autoplay and... I dunno, can't remember if there's a loop option.

Mashalot on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I would mess around with Garage Band but I don't have a thing to connect my keyboard to my computer and last time I bought one it didn't work

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I would mess around with Garage Band but I don't have a thing to connect my keyboard to my computer and last time I bought one it didn't work
    Did you do all the weird midi device routing?

Mashalot on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    This was like 3 years ago. It apparently only worked in Classic mode but then it didn't work in classic but OS X recognized it but the hardware wouldn't recognize OS X or something so I just took it back

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Was it one of those USB keyboards?

I just have a little USB->midi I/O box then I can plug whatever standard midi device into it. Bought a small ghetto midi keyboard for like $20 on ebay.

Though I don't use garageband, so I dunno, maybe it's gimped in some way I don't know about or something.

Mashalot on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Nah this was before garageband

it was some cheapass midi -> USB converter

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Anyone here use MatLab on their macs? I was wondering whether or not the PC version includes a OS X version as well. I'm a student assistent at my school, and there's a PC version of MatLab. I know I can always bootcamp, but I find that a hassle, especially if I'm going to be using MatLab constantly. I'd rather fork money over for Parallels if MatLab works fine, then to actually buy a version of MatLab for $99.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    What's a good program to record video from the built-in iSight? I know iMovie does it but only for a minute

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    lordswing wrote: »
    Anyone here use MatLab on their macs? I was wondering whether or not the PC version includes a OS X version as well. I'm a student assistent at my school, and there's a PC version of MatLab. I know I can always bootcamp, but I find that a hassle, especially if I'm going to be using MatLab constantly. I'd rather fork money over for Parallels if MatLab works fine, then to actually buy a version of MatLab for $99.

Student MatLab release 14 will work on Mac OSX but only for PowerPC chips so to get one for an intel Mac you have to wait untill the next release (i dunno if its out).

But you can go to their website and request a evaluation copy of the version for the Intel Macs that will last around 6 months or so. Ive been using mine all semester.

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    tido14tido14 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

You can run Matlab on macbook, but you won't be able to use the GUI. That's fine though, since the GUI is a pile of java frontend slowness. Command prompt works great and is a little awesomer.

tido14 on
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    i'm going to give that technical kit a try, even though i am a student, but i'm ok with that since i find it ridiculous i have to pay to use a program on top of the book that is required, meh.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    tido14 wrote: »

You can run Matlab on macbook, but you won't be able to use the GUI. That's fine though, since the GUI is a pile of java frontend slowness. Command prompt works great and is a little awesomer.

Yeah this is what the new version remedies

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So, this slow internet starting out thing is starting to bug the crap out of me. How exactly does one upgrade firmware on a router? I wasn't even aware they had firmware. For reference, I have a Zonet ZSR0104CP Broadband Switch Router. And for the other reference, the computer is a Macbook Pro. The router works perfect with my Dell, and with my girlfriend's PC. And, internet at both of the universities I go to work perfectly.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So, this slow internet starting out thing is starting to bug the crap out of me. How exactly does one upgrade firmware on a router? I wasn't even aware they had firmware. For reference, I have a Zonet ZSR0104CP Broadband Switch Router. And for the other reference, the computer is a Macbook Pro. The router works perfect with my Dell, and with my girlfriend's PC. And, internet at both of the universities I go to work perfectly.

Generally via the web interface.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    yalborap wrote: »

Wow, I didn't even know this thing existed... I'm still confused about updating though. It wants some sort of file to update, but I have no files on this computer that are in any way linked to this router...

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Wow, I didn't even know this thing existed... I'm still confused about updating though. It wants some sort of file to update, but I have no files on this computer that are in any way linked to this router...

You download the firmware from the manufacturer's site. You point the router at the firmware file you downloaded. Done.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

You download the firmware from the manufacturer's site. You point the router at the firmware file you downloaded. Done.

The only things for download on Zonet's site for this are the manual and a high resolution image of the router... D:

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So I want to all be using Parallels when I pick up a MacBook. Should I get 2 gigs of RAM (from Newegg, of course)?

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    contraband wrote: »
    So I want to all be using Parallels when I pick up a MacBook. Should I get 2 gigs of RAM (from Newegg, of course)?

My Macbook used to have 1GB, and there was a bit of swapping when I had a few apps open as well as Parallels (I allocated the VM 256MB RAM). Now that I've upgraded to 2GB, it's much smoother, and I can allocate Parallels 512MB with no worries.

So, the extra RAM is worth it for sure. The only problem is that Macbooks reportedly have some issues with cheap "value RAM", so you might want to pay the bit extra for some reputable stuff that is sure to work (I've got Kingston's KTA-MB667 RAM, it was AU$95 per stick, which is a bit of a premium, but it works fine).

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    MagisterialMagisterial Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    At the risk of making this thread "rise from [its] gwave"....

I'm looking for a solid image-editing program. I'm aware of Seashore, but I'm having trouble finding a detailed discussion of what it can and can't do--for example, can it be used to actually draw an image from a blank slate? I know Image Tricks doesn't allow that.

I'm open to commercial options, but Photoshop is pretty spendy. Does Photoshop Elements allow drawing images, etc., or is it more in the Image Tricks apply-filters-to-existing-images category? Are there respectable alternatives? So far as I can tell there's no CorelDraw for Mac....

Thanks for any assistance!

Magisterial on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    If you are a student, or know a student, Photoshop is WAAAAY less spendy.

I really hated Seashore, but that was a few versions ago I think.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    mr weenismr weenis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    so, here's a question. i set my screensaver to show my itunes artwork and set all the "options" sliders all the way to the left. then the screensaver/desktop window crashed and now whenever i go back to it, it crashes before i can do anything. any suggestions?

mr weenis on
    Nickle wrote: »
    972 dicks is a lot of dicks. :(
  • Options
    Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    New iPods on September 5.

Article.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    mr weenis wrote: »
    so, here's a question. i set my screensaver to show my itunes artwork and set all the "options" sliders all the way to the left. then the screensaver/desktop window crashed and now whenever i go back to it, it crashes before i can do anything. any suggestions?

Delete the preferences file in Home/Library/Preferences.

It's either com.apple.System Preferences or com.apple.Desktop or com.apple.Screensaver. I can't be bothered to find out which of those exist :) One of them does.

Make sure System Preferences is closed when you do that.

Lewisham on