As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Drivers!

Left Wing jAyLeft Wing jAy Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Quick question on drivers...

I want to update my ATI drivers - the website suggests I need to remove all the ATI stuff in Add/Remove first, but it's not clear if this procedure applies to updating drivers, or installing a new card.

I ask, because the software it suggests for my X700 Mobility Radeon doesn't install, and crashes. Is that because I haven't removed the old stuff?

Just a cautionary thing, don't want to mess anything up.

Left Wing jAy on

• Duck'n'CoverDuck'n'Cover Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Quick question on drivers...

I want to update my ATI drivers - the website suggests I need to remove all the ATI stuff in Add/Remove first, but it's not clear if this procedure applies to updating drivers, or installing a new card.

I ask, because the software it suggests for my X700 Mobility Radeon doesn't install, and crashes. Is that because I haven't removed the old stuff?

Just a cautionary thing, don't want to mess anything up.

Both, actually. Removing old drivers is a normal procedure when updating to newer ones and/or installing a new card. It's usually to stop any conflicts between different versions.

May I ask what version of the drivers you are trying to install? If I remember correctly, your card isn't supported after version 6.6. It could by why they aren't working.

Duck'n'Cover on
    demomansig.jpg
  • Left Wing jAyLeft Wing jAy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Not sure on the version, but I basically went through the site's process of Choosing OS (XP Media), Card Type (Radeon) then Card Number (X700) and downloading what it offered there.

I'll retry the process after removing stuff - if it doesn't work again, will my current drivers be found to reinstall?

Left Wing jAy on
  • Left Wing jAyLeft Wing jAy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just installed the Omega Drivers, seems ok. Although, some games now run with black bars on either side...

Left Wing jAy on
  • the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    maybe they aren't set to widescreen and your monitor is?

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1