Options

[WAR] No chat, only war. And /special.

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's covered in the podcasts.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think he's talking more number intensive stuff. I haven't seen anything yet. I'd expect that kind of theoryhammer to start popping up shortly after release.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    zenpotato wrote: »
    I think he's talking more number intensive stuff. I haven't seen anything yet. I'd expect that kind of theoryhammer to start popping up shortly after release.

Yeah, there's not much in the way of hard and fast numbers for realm points, guild leveling, and a few other things I'd *love* to see.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Selner wrote: »
    The discussion in the 100+ page thread was about the 10/6 gear before it got locked.

Apparently the disparity between the haves and have-nots is massive in Teir 1, because of that gear.

There was a screen shot in the locked thread, comparing stats, that was frankly mind-boggling.

It appears that early quests are not giving out enough, or good enough gear. Which I can agree with. Doing almost all PvE I ran my little Herder up to Rank 10. Easily 75% of the quests were xp/gold only, very, very light on the equipment reard side.

Actually, most of the equipment rewards look to be PQ Inf Rewards.

What I think WAR is missing at the moment is ROG gear. Random Object Generator gear. Anyone who has played DAoC is familiar with that term.
    It's in WoW too, the random green stuff with prefixes and suffixes.

WAR doesn't appear to have that random stuff.

And the other suggestion for the 10/6 gear is to make it 12/6 gear instead, which would make it Tier 2 gear.

I'm not really qualified to talk about it too much, seeing as my playtime this weekend was limited. But I thought I'd get the discussion going again :) .

I think they are a bit too stingy with quest gear now. They started reitemizing the whole game a month or two ago. Before that change you were almost flooded with gear. Almost every intermediate step of a quest gave a choice of item rewards then. You would get green quest rewards from level 1 up. Monty Haul type stuff.

Now the newbie quests give barely a full suit of gear by the time you are level 8 or so, and it's all white crap with just a little bit of armor. It's no wonder renown gear blows it away. After the outcry this weekend, I expect they'll take another look at low level itemization.

At higher levels, it's not an issue. People start leveling slower so they have more time to get competitive gear from quests, PQs, random drops, or dungeons. Getting a renown rank that opens up a new set of gear isn't such a huge increase in power.

grrarg on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »

Yeah, there's not much in the way of hard and fast numbers for realm points, guild leveling, and a few other things I'd *love* to see.
    Indeed. I'm just hoping the inactive alts thing doesn't slow guild levelling, that would be stupid.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »

Indeed. I'm just hoping the inactive alts thing doesn't slow guild levelling, that would be stupid.

I never got anywhere close to an answer for that. Anecdotally, the... third incarnation of the Mouths on Skull Throne seemed to hit 7 *much* faster than previous. It's not necessarily size that contributed to that.

edit: I just checked, the current Mouths is larger, I think, and hit 7 in three days. The Codpieces capped around 70 (iirc) and... 12? Over the course of a few weeks.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I don't need specific numbers, but yea I was looking for something a little more specific than "this thing helps that thing." Also, this might have been a bug, but this weekend we saw a keep change hands without the keep lord being killed. So there are still lots of things I'm just unclear about, mechanically.

I'll try to remember to listen to the podcasts tonight, and maybe load them on my mp3 player to listen to at work.

Bama on
  • Options
    molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I have a question. What is the attitude like of players in this game? I ask because for the first time in quite a while I jumped into the WoW battlegrounds and holy shit, can people be any more obnoxious? It's all yelling, screaming and calling people nubs. As soon as one side gets an advantage, even a little one, people are calling for everyone to give up because they think they've already lost, or they just flat out leave the bg. No team work, no cooperation, no desire to fight for the victory. Does WAR suffer from this? Will it? Is it just a matter of time before the annoying prats in WoW move to WAR to unleash their idiocy? Or is this attitude because of a flaw in the design of WoW pvp that WAR eliminates? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

moleface on
    battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    moleface wrote: »
    So I have a question. What is the attitude like of players in this game? I ask because for the first time in quite a while I jumped into the WoW battlegrounds and holy shit, can people be any more obnoxious? It's all yelling, screaming and calling people nubs. As soon as one side gets an advantage, even a little one, people are calling for everyone to give up because they think they've already lost, or they just flat out leave the bg. No team work, no cooperation, no desire to fight for the victory. Does WAR suffer from this? Will it? Is it just a matter of time before the annoying prats in WoW move to WAR to unleash their idiocy? Or is this attitude because of a flaw in the design of WoW pvp that WAR eliminates? Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    This is a flaw of people that can only be eliminated with a 2"x4".

Bama on
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Its not hard to figure out why RR gear is so much better, they want you to take part in RvR, its really the whole point of the game.

Yes, but all along they've been saying that one will not be more important than the other. There is supposed to be equality between the two methods of leveling. Currently it is very, very skewed to RvR.

Maybe they've done it on purpose, to encourage folks to test RvR.
    some guy grinding a PQ shouldn't have a chance of getting better or even as-good-as gear as someone who's been on the battlefront taking/defending keeps

I completely disagree.
    The gear you get from PvE should be "as good as" what you get from RvR. Neither should be better than the other.
    And I think I would be fine if the PvE-obtained gear was a little bit worse, but currently it is quite a bit worse. That's not right.

Selner on
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

It's a bit too early to tell since most of the people are still learning the game. There are a few design choices that will affect that though.

There are no tokens, so none of that "hurry up and lose so I get my <insert BG hellhole here> mark."

You can queue for multiple scenarios, but once you join one you leave the queue for the others. No scouting or BG hopping if another one pops after you join.

Every scenario has a time limit. No neverending WSG matches where both sides turtle.

Healers get renown for healing and split it with their group. That's on top of renown from kills is an incentive to keep trying.

All that said, it'll probably end up just as bad. This is the internet, and John Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory still applies.

grrarg on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Selner wrote: »
    Its not hard to figure out why RR gear is so much better, they want you to take part in RvR, its really the whole point of the game.

Yes, but all along they've been saying that one will not be more important than the other. There is supposed to be equality between the two methods of leveling. Currently it is very, very skewed to RvR.

Maybe they've done it on purpose, to encourage folks to test RvR.
    some guy grinding a PQ shouldn't have a chance of getting better or even as-good-as gear as someone who's been on the battlefront taking/defending keeps

I completely disagree.
    The gear you get from PvE should be "as good as" what you get from RvR. Neither should be better than the other.
    And I think I would be fine if the PvE-obtained gear was a little bit worse, but currently it is quite a bit worse. That's not right.
    Depends what gear you're getting from PvE. Green bag pq stuff or Inf gear isn't going to be better, but if you're getting purple or gold bag set pieces it will be on par or better.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just a question on how fast people normally level. I got my SW to level 13 in 17 hours. Now, I'm sure that it isn't normally that long, as alot of the time I was just looking around, going to Aldorf, checking out the 3 RvR areas, but was just wondering the amount of time it would normally take someone to get to that level, with an appropriate mix of PvE and RvR.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    FluxcapFluxcap Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, question for Beta peoples, how heavy are the system requirements?

I mean, I checked the requirements on Mythic's site, but those are always to be taken with a grain of salt. I am seriously considering bulding a new pc for this game but my budget is low, so I'm wondering how cheap I can get by with.

I am not sure a new PC will help you. I am having a lot of stuttering and I started to think I was the only one. However, a friend of mine with a very high end PC is seeing the same things. IE Stuttering at random places, really jittery in cities, and other random areas. The next time you come through the same problem area it can perform smoothly. *shrug* I would really like to see Mythic fix this by OB or at least comment on the performance. It is going to prevent me from buying at retail until I hear it is fixed or being fixed. It feels like they are pushing too much draw distance or textures for some areas and need to tone them down.

I am using the following:

Athlon 64 4000+
    7900GT
    2 gigs of ram
    Win XP

Have any devs commented?

Fluxcap on
  • Options
    maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fluxcap wrote: »
    So, question for Beta peoples, how heavy are the system requirements?

I mean, I checked the requirements on Mythic's site, but those are always to be taken with a grain of salt. I am seriously considering bulding a new pc for this game but my budget is low, so I'm wondering how cheap I can get by with.

This my my problem as well. I am having a lot of stuttering and I started to think I was the only one. However, a friend of mine with a very high end PC is seeing the same things. IE Stuttering at random places, really jittery in cities, and other random areas. The next time you come through the same problem area it can perform smoothly. *shrug* I would really like to see Mythic fix this by OB or at least comment on the performance. It is going to prevent me from buying at retail until I hear it is fixed or being fixed. It feels like they are pushing too much draw distance or textures for some areas and need to tone them down.

Have any devs commented?

They have with the latest patch notes. Pre-3.3 my really good rig was stuttering like crazy. After the patch I read the notes saying they increased performance and it was bloody well true. Remember, we don't have any real graphics options yet, these are just preset levels for mid-range graphics.

maraxus94 on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm actually kinda excited about this now.
    I just hope I can convince some of my good WoW friends to play too.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh god almost done patching ~~

Ledneh on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

I expect a whole lot of whining about 'not getting heals', primarily from people that don't understand the healing mechanics in this game. But that happened in DAoC and WoW as well, and there's an easy solution for it - ignore the people that do that. :p

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    We had people in the guild whining about tanks too. DPS classes just get a free ride because their teammates can't really tell when they're fuckin' up.

Bama on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    PAers sure love to bitch

tyrannus on
  • Options
    FluxcapFluxcap Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    They have with the latest patch notes. Pre-3.3 my really good rig was stuttering like crazy. After the patch I read the notes saying they increased performance and it was bloody well true. Remember, we don't have any real graphics options yet, these are just preset levels for mid-range graphics.

Was the preview weekend on 3.3?

Fluxcap on
  • Options
    JohnnyToxxicJohnnyToxxic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I did a lot of PvE, and then a lot of RvR, but I only got to lvl 10 because, I didn't really feel like expending more effort into a character that was about to get wiped. So, I did a bunch of the PQs so I now know what those are all about, and now I understand (at least as a Black Orc) some of the combat mechanics, but I keep reading about these "scenarios" and I really have no clue.

So here's a nub question: What are these scenarios you are talking about?

JohnnyToxxic on
    Friend Safari Code: 0189-8920-9235
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I did a lot of PvE, and then a lot of RvR, but I only got to lvl 10 because, I didn't really feel like expending more effort into a character that was about to get wiped. So, I did a bunch of the PQs so I now know what those are all about, and now I understand (at least as a Black Orc) some of the combat mechanics, but I keep reading about these "scenarios" and I really have no clue.

So here's a nub question: What are these scenarios you are talking about?
    There is a little button on the top left side of your minimap. Click on it to bring up the scenario dialog. You place yourself in queue for a scenario (they're like WoW Battlegrounds, if you're familiar with those) and when one becomes available you'll be asked if you want to join or not. If you join you're teleported to the scenario, then teleported back right where you were after it's over.

Bama on
  • Options
    simsim Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    DPS classes just get a free ride because their teammates can't really tell when they're fuckin' up

When things aren't dieing fast enough - when CC and interrupts aren't happening - when they aren't focus firing single targets - when cc gets broken.

Bad players are easy to spot regardless of class.

sim on
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The stuttering only happens to me the very first time I load a zone (eg, logging in, or changing tiers, or flying to somewhere else) and even then, it only lasts for about 3-5 seconds. I find the game to run pretty much flawlessly on my computer, and I force 16xS AA and 16xAF on top of the max settings in the beta client.

I run a q6600 stock, with an 8800gts (g92), and 3 gigs of ram.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    sim wrote: »
    DPS classes just get a free ride because their teammates can't really tell when they're fuckin' up

When things aren't dieing fast enough - when CC and interrupts aren't happening - when they aren't focus firing single targets - when cc gets broken.

Bad players are easy to spot regardless of class.
    Bad players are easy for good players to spot. Any idiot can bitch at the healer no matter how they died.

Bama on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    Preview Weekend is over, in case anybody didn't know.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Rest in peace, Mugg the Pirate.

Bama on
  • Options
    belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    so whats the next phase? open beta?

belaraphon on
    belaraphon.png
  • Options
    BabbleBabble Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    /sigh Is preview weekend really over? I think I became addicted.

Babble on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    belaraphon wrote: »

Yep. In two weeks.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Figgy wrote: »

Yep. In two weeks.

Has it been confirmed are Preview Weekend characters are being wiped? Also is the level cap going to be raised?

Babble on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    Babble wrote: »

Yep. In two weeks.
    Has it been confirmed are Preview Weekend characters are being wiped? Also is the level cap going to be raised?
    There will be a cap of Rank 20 for OB.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Babble wrote: »

Yep. In two weeks.
    There will be a cap of Rank 20 for OB.

So not any higher then Preview Weekend. Ok, so did they test City Sieges in closed? Cause it seems like an important part of testing.

Babble on
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So not any higher then Preview Weekend. Ok, so did they test City Sieges in closed? Cause it seems like an important part of testing.

The Elder Closed Beta folks have tested Cities a couple of times. And I imagine they will continue to do so over the next two weeks.

So while the PW and CB are closed, I am hoping the Elder Testers will continue to test. I haven't seen this confirmed. And because of the NDA, they might not be able to confirm it.

Selner on
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    D: I thought the servers were still going to be up all day.

At least I can validate playing until 5am last night now...

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, anyone can play in open beta then?

Ie, I should start downloading the client for that asap?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    No, only those invited can play in the Open Beta. You still need to get an invite in your account page. This means everyone who pre-ordered, as well as a shit-ton more people who already applied. I wouldn't expect to get in at this point without pre-ordering.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »

As long as your preordered the game and entered your key into the Mythic Account Managment Center.

Although it's an "Open" beta it's still restricted to people who have preorders...

Or you could buy the preorder box at Target for a dollar, gives you the code but doesn't preorder the game.

Babble on
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Only people who pre-ordered (any version, from any store that gave out Pre-Order codes, including the $1 Target ones) can play in Open Beta.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
This discussion has been closed.