Options

[WAR] No chat, only war. And /special.

• Options
    SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I had fun with the High Elf, Sword Master Class, especially after I got some good gears the 10/6 mixed with a couple blues I found along the way in the tier 2 zones. Good times, was sad when I outleveled the first scenario. It is hilarious the difference the 10/6 makes, especially since I was wearing mostly the rank 4 stuff before which wasn't horrible in it's own right.

Sirson on
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    However, PQs have a major problem at present - too many people.
    At the higher levels, the PQs were deserted. The fact that 50% (pulling numbers out of a hat) of the population were in the starter zones meant that those PQs were overly crowded. As a server matures, I expect PQ population to be reasonable.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    I tried a couple classes over the weekend for about an hour each and nothing has hooked me I'm not sure I can justify a purchase now :( Something about it just didn't click. I tried a Witchhunter, Bright, White Lion, and Disciple (I was almost sold on the disciple but my friends are playing order). From what I noticed the Character Creation was sorely lacking. I struggled to make characters that looked even remotely ok to me besides the Bright most of the hair styles are awful to my taste at least on male character models.

The character creation is sorely lacking. This goes back to the texture resolution issues I pointed. All the textures in the game, and especially character textures, seem really washed out and low-res. Only having six or seven various options for each thing also limits your options. I think it's almost criminal to release an MMO in 2008 with ~50 character look combination. I know they were having to cut content to even release this year, but yeesh.

Oh well, it didn't seem to hurt WoW, I doubt it will hurt WAR in the long run.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bloodsheed wrote: »
    I tried a couple classes over the weekend for about an hour each and nothing has hooked me I'm not sure I can justify a purchase now :( Something about it just didn't click. I tried a Witchhunter, Bright, White Lion, and Disciple (I was almost sold on the disciple but my friends are playing order).

You might want to give Warrior Priest a shot. You said you were almost sold on the DoK and Warrior Priest is the Order mirror for it.

See I can't allow myself to play a warrior priest because I see paladin when I look at them and that is a major speed bump for me I know I would have a negative stigma about the character just based on that fact. The Disciple stands as the closest war has to a shadow priest mechanically which is a character I have become completely obsessed with in WoW.
    The character creation is sorely lacking. This goes back to the texture resolution issues I pointed. All the textures in the game, and especially character textures, seem really washed out and low-res. Only having six or seven various options for each thing also limits your options. I think it's almost criminal to release an MMO in 2008 with ~50 character look combination. I know they were having to cut content to even release this year, but yeesh.

Oh well, it didn't seem to hurt WoW, I doubt it will hurt WAR in the long run.
    See thing is WoW characters seem like they have like a personality to them where the war characters feel like generic(chaos/dwarfs did seem to have some personality) and the fact they are EQ 1 quality graphically doesn't really help with the look. Idk maybe I am just jaded on the non-blizzard polish graphically, I don't think AoC characters look remotely good either.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    All they have to do to fix the Rank 10 Armor problem, is increase it to Rank 12 to take it out of the first scenario, problem solved.

Sirson on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's strange to see how many MMO's are not focusing harder on producing excellent character creation options. Even though most will cover their appearance with armour, you still know how your character looks, and being a clone is never fun.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Babble wrote: »
    I tried a couple classes over the weekend for about an hour each and nothing has hooked me I'm not sure I can justify a purchase now :( Something about it just didn't click. I tried a Witchhunter, Bright, White Lion, and Disciple (I was almost sold on the disciple but my friends are playing order). From what I noticed the Character Creation was sorely lacking. I struggled to make characters that looked even remotely ok to me besides the Bright most of the hair styles are awful to my taste at least on male character models.

I know I may seem crazy about the Shaman, but try it. Seriously. If you put the time into getting it up to 6-12 you will see why. Also it helps that the 10/6 is awesome, but that's a totally seperate topic.

EDIT: I see you say your friends are playing Order. You don't just have to play one Faction try both. Just because your friends want to play Order dosn't mean you should have to. Do what you enjoy, you can have an alt on Order they can have an alt on Destruction. Play how you want to.

I just wanna try and play an mmo with rl friends for my guild for once like in wow I know prob 30 people who play irl but only 2 rl friends are on my server now. I think I could get into the Disciple but I can't stand the male models and really don't know if its worth the time if I am mostly going to be soloing. I do like to lvl solo but when it comes down to it playing with friends is what you should be playing mmo's for.

You may know this already but didn't see it on your list: If you like the Disciple but are going Order for your friends, check out the Warrior Priest (it's the mirror of the Disciple so while it has different abilities the core mechanics are similar -- the melee AOE healer).

And, yes, character creation is probably my biggest gripe -- needs more hair and face options.

Timmer on
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Munacra wrote: »
    I was so annoyed when War Priests said stuff like "I don't heal".

I didn't hear anyone actually say this myself, but the one thing that gets me when I play through the Dark Elf areas is many of the Disciples don't actually heal anyone. I remember doing a PQ with my own Disciple, and we got to the last phase where two bosses come out. There was only one Tank (a Black Orc) in the area, who took the aggro for the first boss. The second aggroed on a Witch Elf, whom I saved just before death. I was healing both her and the Black Orc pretty much single handedly, despite the fact that there were at least seven other Disciples, and not surprisingly the second boss attacked me instead.

I focused on healing myself, but could not keep up with the damage. Not a single other Disciple healed me, instead just dogpiling the other boss. Not surprisingly I died.

The second boss then bugged and chased me back when I respawned, dieing on the guards and thus stopping the PQ from being finished. I just laughed and moved on when I realized this.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    It's strange to see how many MMO's are not focusing harder on producing excellent character creation options. Even though most will cover their appearance with armour, you still know how your character looks, and being a clone is never fun.

My guess (and that's all it is) with this game is that it helps them optimize for better performance with the focus on RvR. I know Korean pvp games like Lineage2 do this to the extreme -- with only a few different options is much easier to have 80 players on the screen at once and still be playable.

But yeah not only lack of options but since a lot of the faces (especially elves) look ugly.... :(

Timmer on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Iblis wrote: »

I didn't hear anyone actually say this myself, but the one thing that gets me when I play through the Dark Elf areas is many of the Disciples don't actually heal anyone. I remember doing a PQ with my own Disciple, and we got to the last phase where two bosses come out. There was only one Tank (a Black Orc) in the area, who took the aggro for the first boss. The second aggroed on a Witch Elf, whom I saved just before death. I was healing both her and the Black Orc pretty much single handedly, despite the fact that there were at least seven other Disciples, and not surprisingly the second boss attacked me instead.

I focused on healing myself, but could not keep up with the damage. Not a single other Disciple healed me, instead just dogpiling the other boss. Not surprisingly I died.

The second boss then bugged and chased me back when I respawned, dieing on the guards and thus stopping the PQ from being finished. I just laughed and moved on when I realized this.

I'm always surprised when this is the case. The game has a lot of great (and very fun) DPS classes like sorcerers, witch elves, squig herders, et al.----why would you roll a healer if you don't want to heal?

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm always surprised when this is the case. The game has a lot of great (and very fun) DPS classes like sorcerers, witch elves, squig herders, et al.----why would you roll a healer if you don't want to heal?

Cause people are dumb.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    HedwirezHedwirez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This WAR thnig intrigues me. Is there an EU guild yet?

Also, to get open beta access do I have to buy online from the EA store where it costs £10 more and I get no shiny box?

Hedwirez on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The dying of armour makes a big difference for customization but is quite cost prohibitive early on. I know my Chosen in full 10/6 with a white and yellow colour scheme stood out from the pack, even with others having the same armour.

KVW on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    See thing is WoW characters seem like they have like a personality to them where the war characters feel like generic(chaos/dwarfs did seem to have some personality) and the fact they are EQ 1 quality graphically doesn't really help with the look. Idk maybe I am just jaded on the non-blizzard polish graphically, I don't think AoC characters look remotely good either.

See I have to vigorously disagree with this. WoW's faces and characters have always looked like ass to me, especially when by level 40 or 50 or so you've become a complete clown and it just keeps getting worse.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Cause people are dumb.

More accurately, it's because healers tend to be very good solo classes, very self sufficient. People who want to fill other roles tend to play them because they can sustain and tend to be very hard to kill.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hedwirez wrote: »
    Is there an EU guild yet?

Nope, not that I know of

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lack of clownsuits so makes up for possibly-slightly-less-emotive character designs.

Bama on
  • Options
    DogthulhuDogthulhu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I was questing on my Zealot at lvl 15 and saw a chosen getting destroyed by some mobs. I healed him up to full. He followed me a bit and then messaged,
    "Zealot?"
    I replied, "yea"
    "I didn't know they could heal."

Dogthulhu on
    MH3 - Thulhu
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    Lack of clownsuits so makes up for possibly-slightly-less-emotive character designs.

You obviously haven't seen some of the Witch Hunter armor...

Or the high level Chaos armor...

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The only character designs I liked in WoW were the trolls and

Yeah pretty much just the trolls. I don't see what's so special about anything else there

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Well for disciple it feels like they are more of a support healer then a full on healer. I play a priest in wow and have healed a total of 2 instances in the 30+ days of play time the character has. Not that I don't know how but the idea of the character was to be a raid support mana battery dps person (and to be more raid viable then being the guilds 3rd raiding rogue.). The way the character plays from my experience the disciple plays a very similar role in the support style.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I think there are probably several reasons. The Disciple is pretty awesome from a stylistc point of view, plus in the early game they are pretty ridiculous. This evens out later on in terms of RvR, but it's always a pretty insane PvE class. I'm guessing a lot of people just see a dual wielding elf which is pretty ridiculous early on and roll it.

In terms of RvR I don't mind if they don't heal me that much (often times they have to focus on keeping themselves alive. What annoys me more in RvR is Shamans who sit back and blast while allies standing right next to them are in critical condition), but in PvE it annoys me a lot when the situation is under control and they do not need to focus on keeping themselves alive.

Iblis on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Bama wrote: »

You obviously haven't seen some of the Witch Hunter armor...

Or the high level Chaos armor...
    I don't know or care what witch hunters look like, and I haven't seen any high level chaos designs that looked like clownsuits. Are you talking about a particular class?

Bama on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Looks cool? Has a viable damage spec tree and wants survivability that comes with it? Heals people who don't go around shouting 'Heal me'? Has enough awareness of the amount of damage being dished out and knows that you aren't going to die if I don't heal you for 10 seconds and just help you kill things instead?

Also, what level were you Iblis? Pre rank 8-10 or so and Disciples have shit all for healing.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Cause people are dumb.

More accurately, it's because healers tend to be very good solo classes, very self sufficient. People who want to fill other roles tend to play them because they can sustain and tend to be very hard to kill.

Which I do understand, but this game encourages you to try to do both with things like the split targeting, and the fact that (at least in my experience) you very rarely run out of action points. Not all classes are setup like a shaman where your healing and DPS strengthen each other, but healing and doing damage at the same time in this game isn't that hard.

Of course, is was only a preview weekend, so I'm sure a lot of people just didn't get that far with it.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    The only character designs I liked in WoW were the trolls and

Yeah pretty much just the trolls. I don't see what's so special about anything else there

Bah -- the gnomes rocked! Whether you liked the style is one thing but all races had well-done animations and felt 'alive' and they had personality (again, I'm leaving out whether you liked their personalities).

I do find some of the WAR avatars a bit stiffer, mainly the elves (and no I don't mean like "elves are supposed to be stiff!" I mean quality of animation or lack thereof). The Dwarves and Greenskins are great, though. The Human races are okay, IMO of course.

Timmer on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Aegis wrote: »
    Also, what level were you Iblis? Pre rank 8-10 or so and Disciples have shit all for healing.

The area was level 9-10 I believe. I do realize their healing is shit until eight (in fact, mentioned it in my review of the class), but everyone was of the appropriate level.

Iblis on
  • Options
    KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    @Babble: Even though you say he should play what he wants to, it just isn't as fun without people to play with. So, while he may enjoy a certain class more, the entire experience won't be as enjoyable.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    White Lions looks pretty snazzy.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Bah -- the gnomes rocked! Whether you liked the style is one thing but all races had well-done animations and felt 'alive' and they had personality (again, I'm leaving out whether you liked their personalities).

I do find some of the WAR avatars a bit stiffer, mainly the elves (and no I don't mean like "elves are supposed to be stiff!" I mean quality of animation or lack thereof). The Dwarves and Greenskins are great, though. The Human races are okay, IMO of course

well I've voiced my concerns about the animations before so I wont go into that again, but I totally agree with you there. WoW didn't have perfect animations either, but, I don't know, it felt smoother overall.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Also, is this target pre-order $1 box promotion thing still going on?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm sure part of the issue is the healing interface. Not so much in PQ, but in RvR I found it difficult to heal people outside of my group.

Of course, I found it difficult to heal inside my group sometimes when I couldn't tell whether or not they were nearby.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    In terms of RvR I don't mind if they don't heal me that much (often times they have to focus on keeping themselves alive. What annoys me more in RvR is Shamans who sit back and blast while allies standing right next to them are in critical condition), but in PvE it annoys me a lot when the situation is under control and they do not need to focus on keeping themselves alive.

PvE, yea, heal your party then do damage. RvR, if the shaman's spec'd for damage and has his damage tactic in which reduces healing done, we're generally doing shit all for healing which can be better served by having the actual healers there focus on healing (which, since they'll be coming healing spec'd will already be focusing on keeping people alive). Since in the time it takes me to find the guy low on health who's bobbing and weaving and making targeting him a pain in the ass (seriously wounded people, stop fucking moving) I could have killed the guy beating on him or knocked him back out of range, or drained his AP to nothing.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm sure part of the issue is the healing interface. Not so much in PQ, but in RvR I found it difficult to heal people outside of my group.

Of course, I found it difficult to heal inside my group sometimes when I couldn't tell whether or not they were nearby.

Yea, outside your group you have to manually click them. Any amount of lag will make clicking on them a pain in the ass if they're surrounded by enemies and if you miss and click on air, well say goodbye to whomever else you had targeted since that's the command to remove one's target.

If you're in a group, click on the guy you want to heal. If he's out of range, your healing spell numbers will be red on your action bar. Plus you'll have an arrow by your feet showing you the direction to your target.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Plus you'll have an arrow by your feet showing you the direction to your target.

The rest I knew, but not this. It probably won't help much on multi-level RvR scenarios, but should help sometimes.

The targeting issue is part of the reason I love rune priests so much for RvR because they have a spammable instant cast heal, plus a HoT. With my shaman heals, the targeting + the cast time makes it a bit more difficult.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008

PvE, yea, heal your party then do damage. RvR, if the shaman's spec'd for damage and has his damage tactic in which reduces healing done, we're generally doing shit all for healing which can be better served by having the actual healers there focus on healing (which, since they'll be coming healing spec'd will already be focusing on keeping people alive). Since in the time it takes me to find the guy low on health who's bobbing and weaving and making targeting him a pain in the ass (seriously wounded people, stop fucking moving) I could have killed the guy beating on him or knocked him back out of range, or drained his AP to nothing.

Should of been a bit more specific. I mostly find myself irritated when I'm playing my Magus, and I'm hovering at a rather small amount. No one's attacking me and I'm not attacking anyone, I'm just waiting to recover which can take eons in RvR at times. Pretty much in those situations on my Magus despite having a surplus of Shamans I have not been healed. I generally just hover about until a Bright Wizard or something notices I'm low on health and finishes the job.

I can understand they are often times better off blasting, but it seems like they could toss a quick HoT on me or something.

Iblis on
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Also, is this target pre-order $1 box promotion thing still going on?

If you can find any, yes;

I havent seen a single copy at my local Target since I bought the original release of boxes

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm an elder tester, and I haven't heard anything about us testing over the next two weeks, if that answers your question. No the NDA isn't lifted, so I can't say more than that, but as far as I know, we are locked out for now as well.

fffffffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK

I only just got the damn thing installed this morning, too :(

Ledneh on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    PQs can be a little too sensitive too the amount of people participating.

Too few and you'll just fail the third stage and lose. Too many and your chance to get loot goes down the toilet. They give more than three people loot when there are 15 contributors.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I've been in PQ's where over 6 bags of loot have been handed out

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.