Options

[WAR] No chat, only war. And /special.

• Options
    BabbleBabble Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    Babble wrote: »
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    I tried a couple classes over the weekend for about an hour each and nothing has hooked me I'm not sure I can justify a purchase now :( Something about it just didn't click. I tried a Witchhunter, Bright, White Lion, and Disciple (I was almost sold on the disciple but my friends are playing order). From what I noticed the Character Creation was sorely lacking. I struggled to make characters that looked even remotely ok to me besides the Bright most of the hair styles are awful to my taste at least on male character models.

I know I may seem crazy about the Shaman, but try it. Seriously. If you put the time into getting it up to 6-12 you will see why. Also it helps that the 10/6 is awesome, but that's a totally seperate topic.

EDIT: I see you say your friends are playing Order. You don't just have to play one Faction try both. Just because your friends want to play Order dosn't mean you should have to. Do what you enjoy, you can have an alt on Order they can have an alt on Destruction. Play how you want to.

I just wanna try and play an mmo with rl friends for my guild for once like in wow I know prob 30 people who play irl but only 2 rl friends are on my server now. I think I could get into the Disciple but I can't stand the male models and really don't know if its worth the time if I am mostly going to be soloing. I do like to lvl solo but when it comes down to it playing with friends is what you should be playing mmo's for.

I agree all I was saying is don't restrict yourself from enjoying a whole half of a game. See if they would play Destruction. I'm not saying don't play with RL friends. I'm just saying don't let that not let you experience the whole game.

Babble on
  • Options
    JohnnyToxxicJohnnyToxxic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    captaink wrote: »
    PQs can be a little too sensitive too the amount of people participating.

Too few and you'll just fail the third stage and lose. Too many and your chance to get loot goes down the toilet. They give more than three people loot when there are 15 contributors.

This right here.

What honestly hacked me off was solidly being #2 before the roll, then being #7 afterwards. They need to seriously fix that. No less than 4 times did that happen.

JohnnyToxxic on
    Friend Safari Code: 0189-8920-9235
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Too few and you'll just fail the third stage and lose. Too many and your chance to get loot goes down the toilet. They give more than three people loot when there are 15 contributors.

This right here.

What honestly hacked me off was solidly being #2 before the roll, then being #7 afterwards. They need to seriously fix that. No less than 4 times did that happen.

Yeah, being first gives you a +400 to contribution. That's pretty good, but it doesn't secure you anything.

I've been beat out in the most horrible situations before. Me and my friend defeat two stages of a PQ together. Two other people come in when the boss is at 70%. They both get spots 1 & 2 (One of which is an orange bag, which sounds pretty good!), while we get stuck with 3rd and 4th, selecting the cash reward.

I should have put in more in-game feedback on this. I guess theres still time for Open Beta..

edit: Whilst the influence rewards are often the best rewards available, they tend to be rather redundant. Most chapters seemed to focus on weapons, which was very frustrating at times. There were plenty of chapters where it would offer me a two handed great axe in chapter 10, and then another great axe, which would trade varying stats like weapon skill for toughness or strength.

This would often leave the rest of my gear spotty and a bit weak. To be fair, I patched those holes with renown gear, but still.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

This right here.

Well that's what the influence rewards are for. As long as it's at all random, sometimes you get the short end of the stick.

Zek on
  • Options
    waywardryanwaywardryan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It is a little bit disheartening to not get anything when you really push yourself to be first in a PQ, even more so for the longer ones. I wish they would give an automatic reward to the guy in first.

waywardryan on
    Lemon - Bright Wizard
    Bijaz - Ironbreaker
  • Options
    DogthulhuDogthulhu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It is a little bit disheartening to not get anything when you really push yourself to be first in a PQ, even more so for the longer ones. I wish they would give an automatic reward to the guy in first.

Influence, honestly once you've maxed that in a zone you might as well move on, or do the PQs for fun.

Dogthulhu on
    MH3 - Thulhu
  • Options
    TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dogthulhu wrote: »

Influence, honestly once you've maxed that in a zone you might as well move on, or do the PQs for fun.

This was what I had to keep telling the guild when they bitched and moaned about getting the short end of the stick. With my Black Orc I was constantly in the top 3 prior the roll and about 50/50 of the time getting a bag or not. Worst PQ result for me was on Saturday when 3 of us were rolling through a PQ and then a 4th person shows up to DPS down the boss. The 3 of us had 400/300/250 contribution and the 4th had a 50. I rolled a 36. THIRTY-SIX! He rolls a 900+ winning the MASSIVE loot bag with an epic. That's when I started doing PQs for Influence only, the bag is just icing on the cake with a root beer float on the side.

Tyberius on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    A couple changes I would like to see made to PQs that would make them much more fair.

1: Guaranteed loot for the top 3 contributors, random loot for the remaining people involved.
    2: A bonus to your roll for each stage you participated in, not just contribution, to help combat people showing up at the boss and still getting higher than people that were there the whole time. Alternatively, you could give them an extra roll per stage they participated in, with it using the highest roll among them.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    BabbleBabble Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    A couple changes I would like to see made to PQs that would make them much more fair.

1: Guaranteed loot for the top 3 contributors, random loot for the remaining people involved.
    2: A bonus to your roll for each stage you participated in, not just contribution, to help combat people showing up at the boss and still getting higher than people that were there the whole time. Alternatively, you could give them an extra roll per stage they participated in, with it using the highest roll among them.

Number one I agree with fully. Come Open Beta I will submit that after a PQ Survey pops up.

Babble on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    PQ bags are random with a bonus given for doing good.

Doing good does not give you anything but lots of influence and a better -chance- for bag.

The more you do a PQ without winning a bag the better your chances of getting the next bag go up.

The system is fine.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There should probably be a small minimum contribution to be eligible as well. I admit to sometimes just swinging at a single mob as I ran past a PQ just for the chance at getting a great roll when they finish later.

Zek on
  • Options
    Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There are two sides to the PQ loot distribution coin, though; if the people with the highest contribution get all the loot, PQs will turn into a big competition to see who can be the biggest jackass for the sake of getting the loot roll.

Airking850 on
  • Options
    BaratusBaratus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Haha on my first character I got screwed on pretty much all PQs. On my next few chars I had pretty crazy luck, I usually got to be the guy who just walked up and smacked the boss and rolled a 950. It was glorious. If you do them enough you'll lose out as much as you get lucky freak wins, so I don't see a problem with it. The randomness makes it fun I think, and it's not like you can't stay and do the quest again in five minutes. If it was a one time only thing, then I'd have a problem with it, but being mad about the PQ seems silly to me b/c it's just like a group rolling for regular loot but a bit cooler with the contribution aspect.

Baratus on
    PSN: Baratus_JT
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    There should probably be a small minimum contribution to be eligible as well. I admit to sometimes just swinging at a single mob as I ran past a PQ just for the chance at getting a great roll when they finish later.

There is.

Oats on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Airking850 wrote: »
    There are two sides to the PQ loot distribution coin, though; if the people with the highest contribution get all the loot, PQs will turn into a big competition to see who can be the biggest jackass for the sake of getting the loot roll.

First off, that is not guaranteed. I've had it where I was the #1 contributor but roll a 12. And there have been times where I would pop into a PQ just for a moment to help the people kill the final boss and among about 20 people, I had rolled a 998 and won first prize.

However, that does not mean PQs are retarded, since doing a PQ 3 or 4 times is a great way to A: level, B: increase skills like butchering or scavenging, or C: getting your influence rewards which kick ass if you work to get them.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    n00bishn00bish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I did this only one time and ended up getting the top roll. I felt bad, but I got some shiny new 'andplates! Dittoing a minimum contribution and guaranteed loot for the top three. If you and four other guys work for 30 minutes in a PQ meant to be done by fifteen in 5 minutes, rolling poorly at the end is seriously disheartening.

edit: There is a minimum contribution? Apparently I remember incorrectly then. Maybe I just hopped in at the tail end. Something like that, anyway.

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    n00bish wrote: »

I did this only one time and ended up getting the top roll. I felt bad, but I got some shiny new 'andplates! Dittoing a minimum contribution and guaranteed loot for the top three. If you and four other guys work for 30 minutes in a PQ meant to be done by fifteen in 5 minutes, rolling poorly at the end is seriously disheartening.

Btw, there is a limit to how much influence you need before being eligible for rewards. There have been times where I would be there for the last few moments in a fight and get the disclaimer saying I did not contribute enough.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Chad SexingtonChad Sexington Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    It's kind of funny how quickly I've changed my "main-to-be." For about a year now, all I wanted to be was a Shaman. I played Greenskins on the tabletop, and I always loved the night goblins. So of course I wanted to play one. But then I played the Shaman and found that I sucked at switching targets so much, so I played and fell in love with a Squig Herder next. Played that for a while until preview weekend. Then I realize that the 360a dudes are going Order, and Ironbreaker becomes the class I'm dying to play in the head-start. I only hope that I can actually stick with my wrecking ball of doom this time. Alt-itis before release is bad news.

Chad Sexington on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

There is, at least on some PQ's. I've entered PQ's late before and been told I didn't contribute enough to roll on the loot.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It's kind of funny how quickly I've changed my "main-to-be." For about a year now, all I wanted to be was a Shaman. I played Greenskins on the tabletop, and I always loved the night goblins. So of course I wanted to play one. But then I played the Shaman and found that I sucked at switching targets so much, so I played and fell in love with a Squig Herder next. Played that for a while until preview weekend. Then I realize that the 360a dudes are going Order, and Ironbreaker becomes the class I'm dying to play in the head-start. I only hope that I can actually stick with my wrecking ball of doom this time. Alt-itis before release is bad news.

Ironbreaker is a great class, so you can't really go wrong there. It will wreck you in PvP, and I am going to go out on a limb and say that barring changes, it will be the tank of choice for PvE groups. Much more survivable than the Swordmaster (though the Swordmaster is a great off tank, because it can lay out some DPS with a good player behind the keys).

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've been Chosen since day one but it looks like they are going to be in abundant supply, not to mention we should have plenty of tanks with all of the Black Orcs. I'm one of those people who hates playing the most popular class and usually picks the least played classes. If it wasn't for the S&M look of Marauders I'd probably switch over to them. As is I might make my main a Magus as I enjoyed the hell out of the one I was playing before the wipe. I'm torn, though, as I tend to hate being squishy in PvP.

Accualt on
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That'd be a great system, except it completely fucks some classes. Healers and Bright Wizards are almost always the top contributors.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else but does anyone know what the cards are mentioned in the Tome Rewards section?

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man I really hope they put trollslayers in for dwarf side. If they do, I'm not touching any other class, ever.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    I've been Chosen since day one but it looks like they are going to be in abundant supply, not to mention we should have plenty of tanks with all of the Black Orcs. I'm one of those people who hates playing the most popular class and usually picks the least played classes. If it wasn't for the S&M look of Marauders I'd probably switch over to them. As is I might make my main a Magus as I enjoyed the hell out of the one I was playing before the wipe. I'm torn, though, as I tend to hate being squishy in PvP.
    "S&M look?" Are these some armor sets I haven't seen, or did the marauder suddenly become a Night Elf class?

Bama on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    Shaman was so much better to play when I remapped my target keys. I think I put target self on middle mouse and I forget if I ever checked for a Target Previous option.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    "S&M look?" Are these some armor sets I haven't seen, or did the marauder suddenly become a Night Elf class?

He means the gladiator look that their armor's based on.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aumni wrote: »
    PQ bags are random with a bonus given for doing good.

Doing good does not give you anything but lots of influence and a better -chance- for bag.

The more you do a PQ without winning a bag the better your chances of getting the next bag go up.

The system is fine.

You also get Tome unlocks for obtaining 10 Gold, Silver and Bronze 'ratings' in PQ's, and I'm sure it goes higher.

So sometimes it's good to just go in and do the best you can, if anything you get Influence, xp, money, and you're working on filling your ToK.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Basil wrote: »
    Bama wrote: »

He means the gladiator look that their armor's based on.
    Wow, I guess I really misunderstood what went on in the arena.

Bama on
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man I really hope they put trollslayers in for dwarf side. If they do, I'm not touching any other class, ever.

You obviously missed the memo. This is the new Dwarf class. Obviously.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Honestly, I had just as much fun when I started getting tired, and just gave up on leveling and decided to see what stuff I could find. Like a random pile of books, behind a bush, a mile off the road. Who else is going to find that?

liek mayb uve found the ashbrnga lol rofl

lolwhut?

Behold, obsession.

e: basically it's some sword in WoW that people have gone into agonizing detail to try and uncover. Like for example examining cart tracks.

The people who run that site are from my server I think .Thats funny as hell.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I was wondering, the account name and PW I'm using right now to get into beta, will that be my actual account when the game starts up or do I have to make another account name and such when the head start comes around?

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Shaman was so much better to play when I remapped my target keys. I think I put target self on middle mouse and I forget if I ever checked for a Target Previous option.

This.

A very good idea for any healing class, unless I've missed the train and there's a selfcast key modifier hiding somewhere. Middle mouse was where I wanted to put it too, but I had to wave bye, bye to the preview and go to work.

I regret that decision.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think they mostly just need to lower the width you can roll in PQs. I think 1-1000 is a crazy number to be rolling. I thought maybe 1-500 would work out better, and cause less crazy shit to happen. That way the roll bonus would be worth more, but they would have to change the bonus values.

I'm really kind of depressed that so many people are going black orc. I love the class in its entirety. Then there's the problem that some of my friends are planning on playing order. The swordmaster and ironbreaker just aren't as fun. The missing classes need to be filled in.

Toothy on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Regarding PQs, I do think there may need to be some slight adjustments made in the way rolls are handled... I disagree that top contributers should be given automatic loot, because that would give certain classes too big of an advantage (since, as mentioned, healers and nukers tend to top the list almost every time). Instead, I'd do something like break contributions down into the three (or more) phases of a PQ, and award bonuses for top contributers in each phase. Those who participated in and did well over three phases would almost certainly win out over those who showed up towards the end. There should obviously be a minimum contribution as well, which is already in-place but may need to have its bar lifted a bit.

On the subject of classes... I still can't decide what I want to play. I tried several classes this past weekend and liked so many different things that it's hard to settle. Both the Disciple and Shaman classes are a blast to play, which is strange for me to say since I never like to play healers normally... and I did play both as healers when in groups (whether PQ or Scenario).

I didn't like the Chosen as much as I thought I would... he had some fun abilities but his armor made him look like the Stay-Puffed Marshmallow Man, and generally I sympathize with what someone said above when he met a guy who didn't know that Zealots could heal... you wouldn't know it was possible during the PQs I tried to tank, as I ended up dying all the time since no one was healing.

I really liked the Witch Elves as a melee dps class, but wasn't so crazy about Marauders as their mutations really didn't appear to do much other than change what icons were on my hotbar... the guy just attacked with his axe while that weapon arm remained dormant. Also the 'gladiator' look was a bit, erm... Yeah. Someone above described it as an S&M look, but to me it's not quite that, but still a bit too fruity.

One thing that is great about being a healer on the Destruction side... our tanks are huuge. I cannot help but feel sorry for High Elves trying to heal each other... they're all a bunch of pale girls running around in white dresses... I'm not sure how you tell the tanks from the casters in a crowd. Then there are the stunties... how are you ever going to pick them out from a melee?

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rentilius wrote: »
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Elves in Warhammer are ok in my book

whys that? i need to read more lore

Warhammer elves are truly a product of their influences. Which, other than the names and geography, really has nothing to do with Tolkien.

Elf History in two Paragraphs

First experiment of the Old Ones, those beings taught the elves civilization, law, and how to manipulate Aethyric energies from the polar gates. Though built to be physically resistant to the mutating power of that plane, they proved open to mental corruption, being prone to extremes, arrogance, and hedonism. The Elven race became warriors when the Old Ones' fell and portals collapsed, unleashing a tide of daemons and Chaotic energy into the world. The prince Aenarion took up the Sword of Khaine (Elric lol) and led his people to save the world, ultimately driving the daemons back and creating a great vortex to siphon the Warp out of the material world. Taking up the godlike weapon cursed Aenarion's line and changed the destiny of the elves; his son, Malekith, was denied his place as successor to the throne and, along with a large part of elven nobility and the realm of Nagarythe made war against his kin.

Eventually these druchii were forced out of Ulthuan, the elven homeland, and the elves as a whole pulled back centuries of colonies to reinforce the home island. Some colonists stayed behind, with one group in particular refusing to leave the Chaotically-infused sentient wood they bonded with, and going all feral.

Other stuff

Druchii - the Dark Elves, who embraced Aenarion's warrior aspect and believe in strength and self-reliance above all else. These are the hereditary inheritors of the elven throne, but live in exile in the cold continent of Naggaroth. Druchii believe they can control Chaos and have no problem pushing their use of the warp or binding daemonic entities to their will.

Asur - the High Elves, who maintain a hold on Ulthuan. They're divided into a number of kingdoms on their continent/island; the inner kingdoms like Avelorn and Saphery are drenched in Aethyric power brought down by the Vortex; their inhabitants are dreamy and detached from reality, generally wizards and more like the pre-Aenarion elves. The outer kingdoms are often besieged and filled by hardier warrior elves, who approach the world with an imperialistic, lawful rigidity. Their soldiers are often drawn from the citizen populace, pressed into service of king and state.

Asrai - the Wood Elves, particularly those of Athel Loren forest. Athel Loren is a crazy semi-sentient forest that uses the wood elves to protect itself. They make pacts with the tree-inhabiting spites and entities; their lives in exchange for protection. The Asrai, in turn, have molded a human society over the centuries to act as a buffer between them and the world at large. Wood elves are feral and insular, obsessively defending their wood against intrusion. They also steal and keep drugged human children as "servants".

Yeah... elf hate is generally carried on by those who have no knowledge of Warhammer.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Rocko_YKRocko_YK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Quick Q, maybe already has been answered, but I remember awhile ago them saying that your orc grew in size in relation to his level? I am just remembering this wrong or does this still apply?

Rocko_YK on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I haven't played a class that required it yet, but lack of auto-self cast seems like a niggling oversight. I am not sure how robust the UI system in WAR is, but I would expect that to be fixed by modders post haste, or patch in by Mythic if not.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    A lot of people are going Greenskin in general. It's one of the more popular races in Warhammer.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    snip

Yeah... elf hate is generally carried on by those who have no knowledge of Warhammer.

No, they are pretty lame. Just look at the character models, too.

Only elves in modern fantasy that aren't lame are Tolkien's. And even then, only the ones in the Silmarillion.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
This discussion has been closed.