Options

[WAR] No chat, only war. And /special.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think... well a lot of people have asked that question. No, that feature was removed before beta even started I believe.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    HompHomp Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rocko_YK wrote: »
    Quick Q, maybe already has been answered, but I remember awhile ago them saying that your orc grew in size in relation to his level? I am just remembering this wrong or does this still apply?

No.

Homp on
    chosen7171-1.gif
  • Options
    Rocko_YKRocko_YK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Arthil wrote: »
    I think... well a lot of people have asked that question. No, that feature was removed before beta even started I believe.

Ah alright, too bad.

Rocko_YK on
  • Options
    TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rocko_YK wrote: »
    Quick Q, maybe already has been answered, but I remember awhile ago them saying that your orc grew in size in relation to his level? I am just remembering this wrong or does this still apply?

No, they removed this a while ago.

Timmer on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    snip

Yeah... elf hate is generally carried on by those who have no knowledge of Warhammer.

No, they are pretty lame. Just look at the character models, too.

Only elves in modern fantasy that aren't lame are Tolkien's. And even then, only the ones in the Silmarillion.

They're more Melnibonean than Tolkien. So they get to be cool by association. Did any elf in the Silmarillion wipe out his whole civilization? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Also... I'm confused about the self cast complaint. By default doesn't F1 target self; or, it will do it if you cast and don't have a selected defensive target.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    They got rid of the orks getting bigger and darker?

Did they get rid of the dwarves getting longer beards too?

If so I am so bummed guys.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Stragint wrote: »
    So I was wondering, the account name and PW I'm using right now to get into beta, will that be my actual account when the game starts up or do I have to make another account name and such when the head start comes around?

Yep. Your account is permanent once you create it on Mythic's site. You then just attach different license keys as needed to your account.

Timmer on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Yeah... characters don't change anymore. The White Lion's lion though does change as it levels up.

Timmer on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Only elves in modern fantasy that aren't lame are Tolkien's. And even then, only the ones in the Silmarillion.

God I wish we still had the roll eyes emote.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Rocko_YKRocko_YK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Bah maybe they will add it back in later, rather have some game-changing bugs addressed first I guess.

Rocko_YK on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

They said about a 20% chance it would be in at launch. Perhaps good patch or expansion material.

Honestly, I'm glad they focused on things like CTDs or gameplay instead of your beard getting longer.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've never met an elf I didn't want to [strike]eat[/strike] [strike]laugh at[/strike] [strike]kill[/strike] engage in spirited conversation.

If you know what I mean.

War elves are pretty cool and all, but I keep my order hugs for the stuntys.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    They're more Melnibonean than Tolkien. So they get to be cool by association. Did any elf in the Silmarillion wipe out his whole civilization?
    Ah, now this brings me to a dilemma. On the one hand this guy apparently killed a ton of elves, but on the other hand he is an elf.

I guess... I don't know... I'd kill him last?

Bama on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    They said about a 20% chance it would be in at launch. Perhaps good patch or expansion material.

Honestly, I'm glad they focused on things like CTDs or gameplay instead of your beard getting longer.

I'm not surprised it got cut and I'm glad they focused on what they did focus on.

Doesn't make me not bummed about it.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    LeemoLeemo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    snip

Yeah... elf hate is generally carried on by those who have no knowledge of Warhammer.

They're more Melnibonean than Tolkien. So they get to be cool by association. Did any elf in the Silmarillion wipe out his whole civilization? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Also... I'm confused about the self cast complaint. By default doesn't F1 target self; or, it will do it if you cast and don't have a selected defensive target.

Self-cast in the sense of being able to hold down a key and have all friendly spells you cast land on yourself, without losing your target for other healing.

F1 is pretty awkward. I mapped target self to the aux mouse button, since that's about the most immediate reaction I can get (click with right hand, left hand tap the heal). Still lacking in awesome compared to holding down for self-cast and resuming previous target once no longer holding down.

Leemo on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Warhammer elves are extra lame, only good thing about them were the Dark Elf militia zerg army lists.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    xgalaxyxgalaxy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Depends what gear you're getting from PvE. Green bag pq stuff or Inf gear isn't going to be better, but if you're getting purple or gold bag set pieces it will be on par or better.

I managed to get a piece of set gear, for the chest, and the stats for it were on par with the RR4 chest gear. Some stats were better, some were worse. I forget what it was called, but it was a two piece set and if I got the second piece it would have unlocked some kind of ability or stat (I forget exactly).

xgalaxy on
    GW2: Rancid Cupcake (Necro), Ranch Dressing (Ranger)
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Warhammer elves are extra lame, only good thing about them were the Dark Elf militia zerg army lists.

I'd agree that they're not as awesome as just about anything else in Warhammer, but they're vastly more interesting than any other game setting's elves.

I'm really curious to see what happens with elf populations when the game hits the mass market. Will PvPers avoid high elves? Will D&D elf fans be weirded out by their ambivalence toward trees and deer and stuff?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    XzeanXzean Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Eh, I find Warhammer elves to be one of the most interesting actual races in the world. It is, as usual, a matter of opinion.

Xzean on
    9df14c6e1e43475d.png
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I'd agree that they're not as awesome as just about anything else in Warhammer, but they're vastly more interesting than any other game setting's elves.

I'm really curious to see what happens with elf populations when the game hits the mass market. Will PvPers avoid high elves? Will D&D elf fans be weirded out by their ambivalence toward trees and deer and stuff?

Dark Elves get a little break because they're, you know, pirates who drink blood, but their 80s fantasy look seems really out of place next to the realistic looking Empire and Bretonnian troops.

High Elves are just way out of place and seem to fulfill the generic "must have elves" quota.

Wood elves get a break because Orion is a cool mini.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There is nothing inherently wrong with elves, they are just over done.

That said, the Eldar of Warhammer 40K are awesome, and a thousand curses to anyone who says different. Psychic elves with tanks, shuriken cannons, void guns and cool unit names like "Striking Scorpion" and "Warp Spider"? That's pretty cool.

Though, my real 40K army is still Tau :P

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I really want to like this game. I really do. I've been playing since a few weeks before the preview weekend (got a late beta invite) and there is so much done right but for every bit done right there is just as much stuff that irritates the piss out of me.

I would be super happy (and have said as much every time I've been given a survey for feedback) if everyone who participated in a PQ got loot. It doesn't have to be much - even a few coins are fine. It's incredibly frustrating to spend time working hard on a PQ with a few other people only to have a ton of folks rush in at the end for a chance to roll and get thoroughly screwed out of any kind of reward no matter how much you've contributed. When they were originally pitched, the PQs were supposed to be a way to bring the community together, but the ones I've experienced have all been massive clusterfucks where people try to tag/loot as many things as possible while solo so they can get a better chance at the loot.

Then, you take the instance with my shaman. It was the second PQ in the Greenskin tier 1. I was just running through the area and stumbled in when they had the boss at 1/10th health left. I threw one measly dot on him, it ticked a few times before he died and I got first place. Sure, it feels nice to get the loot, but I felt really sorry for the group of five who had just worked on a PQ that takes a long time with a few people and got screwed out of any reward.

Additionally, the animations (particularly for some melee classes) and facial options are really atrocious. I realize this isn't a PvE game and I shouldn't be all namby pamby about how my character looks, but good god, if I'm going to devote months of my life to playing something I'd like to not look as if I'm having a seizure when I fight stuff.

That, combined with the still present UI lag making the game feel unresponsive really kills the combat for me. I spent more time trying out different classes so I didn't experience the higher content, but the balance issues in T1 are really apparent as well. The 10/6 gear is bad enough, but there are some match ups like EvC where one side (Empire) is completely screwed the majority of the time (because they only have squishies).

Don't get me wrong, I love the base they have. There were a lot of quests that had me smiling or that I enjoyed, but there's just as much that looks like it needs a heapload of work before I'd consider paying for it. Please don't take this as complaining. I want this game to succeed and I want to like it. These are just the things that stick out and frustrate me. I trust Mythic but I really think things would be better off if they gave it more time like was originally planned.

Jeez, I didn't mean for this to be so long.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    xgalaxy wrote: »
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Depends what gear you're getting from PvE. Green bag pq stuff or Inf gear isn't going to be better, but if you're getting purple or gold bag set pieces it will be on par or better.

I managed to get a piece of set gear, for the chest, and the stats for it were on par with the RR4 chest gear. Some stats were better, some were worse. I forget what it was called, but it was a two piece set and if I got the second piece it would have unlocked some kind of ability or stat (I forget exactly).

I got this too, as random loot in a RvR scenario. pair of Squig Herder boots that, like what you mentioned, were part of a two item set that grants a bonus when complete. if had a 10L6R requirement on it, and had comparable stats to the Renown gear.

I love that you can get good loot off of players in RvR.

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    I guess I'm the only one who was satisfied with influence and whatever exp I got from PQs.

Loot was kinda like a bonus.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Riale wrote: »
    there are some match ups like EvC where one side (Empire) is completely screwed the majority of the time (because they only have squishies).

I lol'd

maraxus94 on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I guess I'm the only one who was satisfied with influence and whatever exp I got from PQs.

Loot was kinda like a bonus.
    No no, you certainly weren't the only one.

Bama on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That does illustrate a bit of a gap in the player base. I've been raiding for so long that I don't usually really register anything more than health bars and where they are in relation to me while in combat. Whenever the fighting starts I'm either staring at a bar, a timer or a long string of numbers. Character models just kinda tell me what the health bar I'm lobbing green stuff at represents and whether I should run screaming like a little girl if it comes my way.

Sure, I've spent hours looking at them, but I honestly cant' remember what the animations look like apart from dudes running and swinging at each other. They're running and swinging, all I need to know. =P

What gets me is when the combat system burps and my numbers and timers don't display properly. Leastwise that's said to be on the board for being fixed.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Whats with all the PQ whining? It takes, like 5-15 minutes max to complete a PQ depending on the group size (at least the ones I did)? Didnt get the loot you wanted the first time? Big whoop, just run it again. They are fun.

As for WAR elfs, they are ok in my book. Never seemed pansey in the least to me. Dark elfs burning the forest? They don't sit around and cry about it. Instead they go and fuck them up. Chaos threatens the empire and do they sit back and hope they do ok? Nope, they send out most of their army even though they know the Dark Elves are on their way.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    snip

Fëanor was a bad ass. Also, having recently read that collection (with extensive commentary) of Moorcocks early Elric stuff that guy really is a emogoth pussy early on. He is later retconned into something much more badass though.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I just noticed that the Witch Elf's icon on the scenario scoreboard is Elf cleavage.

Also, the topless female prisoners in the cages in the Inevitable City don't have nipple textures.

i remember the important stuff

Darklyre on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Whats with all the PQ whining? It takes, like 5-15 minutes max to complete a PQ depending on the group size (at least the ones I did)? Didnt get the loot you wanted the first time? Big whoop, just run it again. They are fun.

The frustration comes when you either A: Spend a half hour with three people running a PQ meant for about five times that number, only to have people jump in at the end and get screwed out of loot or B: Run the same PQ over ten times, contribute the most the majority of those times and not see a single thing out of it except some influence rewards that are pretty worthless by the time you get them.

I'm not asking to be showered in riches, but I'd like some kind of compensation (monetary or otherwise) when I spend that much time with something. It's like the bullshit you get in PvE/Raiding focused games of going to the same instance for a year and never seeing the loot you need drop because of a random number generator, except it's in WAR, where I wasn't expecting those kind of crappy MMO mechanics.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    snip

Fëanor was a bad ass. Also, having recently read that collection (with extensive commentary) of Moorcocks early Elric stuff that guy really is a emogoth pussy early on. He is later retconned into something much more badass though.

http://www.glyphweb.com/ARDA/f/feanor.html

Probably better Feanor information than Wikipedia, only because it back links to the entire Encyclopedia. Regardless, he was a bad motha. Even had the wallet.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Yes... and you gain influence, which gets you some pretty sweet rewards, anyway.
    As for WAR elfs, they are ok in my book. Never seemed pansey in the least to me. Dark elfs burning the forest? They don't sit around and cry about it. Instead they go and fuck them up. Chaos threatens the empire and do they sit back and hope they do ok? Nope, they send out most of their army even though they know the Dark Elves are on their way.

This. I enjoy going out and fucking up peoples' shit in RvR scenarios as a Shadow Hunter. Good times were had.

I'm also disappointed that I can't find much to like in Destruction. I would have loved to play a greenskin, but none of the classes appealed to me. In fact, none of the destro classes appealed to me at all. :(

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SpongeCake wrote: »
    So is there an EU/US split in WAR? And if so, which side are the PA guilds on? I have suddenly found myself incredibly excited for this game for reasons beyond my understanding...

There is an EU/US split.

Both PA guilds seem to be on the US side of the split.

(apologies if this got answered already)

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Riale wrote: »

The frustration comes when you either A: Spend a half hour with three people running a PQ meant for about five times that number, only to have people jump in at the end and get screwed out of loot or B: Run the same PQ over ten times, contribute the most the majority of those times and not see a single thing out of it except some influence rewards that are pretty worthless by the time you get them.

Every influence reward I received was an upgrade. Were you moving past the PQs, then coming back to them later?

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Actually, the influence rewards are pretty sad compared to some of the stuff comes out of the chests with the high end bags. Also, to get the top tier influence rewards requires you to run the PQ several times (I found it to be on average 2.5 runs of the PQ to get the highest tiered rewards). By then, you've probably leveled past them, or will very shortly.

I would like to see a role reversal. Influence rewards should become the standard way to get the PQ loot, the bags at the end should just be a bonus for solid participation (nothing random involved).

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    dnilbdnilb Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    so I got my blorc up to 15/11 with full gear,my shaman up to 10/9 with full gear, and I really really want to try a squig herder when they get fixed.

I'm going to have a hell of a time deciding which to play first

2 of the most annoying things about preview weekend for me was the fact that you couldn't spam attacks. In the heat of battle trying to heal or trying to build up combos with the blorc I am so used to just spamming attacks like I did in WoW. I don't want to have to sit around an watch the cooldowns go off and not pay attention to whats going on infront of me because of it.

put this together with a squigherder and I had one terrible time and I only made it to level 6 before quiting.

I noticed when I spammed skills such as plink or a shaman heal it would reset the cast 2-3 times. man that drove me crazy.

I can't wait for ob though and a lot of the annoyances will/should be fixed.

dnilb on
    dnilb.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Okay, it was a wild and crazy weekend in WAR and while some of you might be tempted to go all Samurai on us for a couple of the bugs, overall things went very, very well. As long-time readers of my notes now, I won’t do a Nick Winters and we are anything but pathological liars so we’ll always own up when we make a mistake and we made a couple here. So, let’s talk amongst ourselves and have a little chat about the top nine list of the biggest issues and where we stand in regards to them.

(1) Client Crashes – I’ve talked about this as one of the reasons why we didn’t release the NDA until recently. Here’s the current status.
    - Just a little too many currently. While we are better off than we were in beta, we must do better still before release.
    - A number of players will lower spec machines had more CTDs than higher spec machines.
    - Number of fixes already in pipeline. They are working their way through our testing servers and will be pushed to the players once they have been vetted internally.
    - Engineering time for CTD issue has remained heavily committed; our top engineers are working on the various issues.

(2) Monster Pathing and AI – Well, what can I say other than not even all of King Tut’s wealth could have made us feel better for messing up on this one. Well, maybe all his wealth.
    - “Yes, that monster seems to be behaving a little oddly”. Monster responsiveness was very sketchy, odd pauses and tethering issues.
    - “Oh, was I supposed to go in that direction?” Pathing sometimes wonky - mobs get stuck or go in wrong direction.
    - Utter confusion at times as both monsters and pets will engage and disengage seemingly at random
    - Internal server optimizations last week broke the pathing/AI. And I mean really, really broke it. This truly was a “Opps, we broke this code” moment for us and we don’t have many of them.
    - Going to ensure that this problem is fixed this week. As I said in my first Preview Weekend, this is a major concern for us. Fortunately we have no underwater combat in this game or some of the NPCs may have been appropriately dubbed land sharks.

(3) Pet Responsiveness – With similar issues to Monster Pathing and AI, this was not our finest hour.
    - Need to transfer "combat responsiveness" fixes to pets - have pet move immediately on button press.
    - “Oh no, Mr. Bill!” Pets suffer from same pathing and lack of response as general monsters. Pets hopping around like they were headed to Del Staters.

(4) Global Cooldown Timers –This seems to be a hot topic for players to talk about. However, things aren’t always as they seem.
    - Reality and perception are two different things, Warhammer has a GCD of 1.4s, WoW has 1.5s
    - “Ability not ready” messaging needs to be improve, a sound effect if Global Cooldown in effect, maybe more cowbell?
    - Need to improve on the feeling of sluggishness of the GCD and UI. Bug with display where our timer shows 2s when it is really 1.4
    - The next best thing to a queue is? We will add in better "slop timer" to allow players 0.3s extra to pre-queue a second ability followup.

(5) Better animations
    - So much more coming in the next two versions of the client. We are currently incorporating serious amounts of new animations into the game. Hopefully nobody will sneak a coneheads model into the game.
    - Look at what my XXXX does now? Over the next month we will address many class-attack specific issues across all 20 careers.
    - “U think you can dance?” Nope, but we have added new racial animations for movement, fidgets and redid some emotes.

(6) Texture Blurring
    - Textures are currently cached in a manner that results in blurriness on entering a region.
    - We will look at adding a client scalar.

(7) Client Performance – This is one of those issues
    - Need better scalers on effects, sounds, graphics, etc to help lower end machines (already lots of additions to coders)
    - This thing loves memory like Dan Aykroyd loves bass. We have already improved the memory consumption of the client and taken 100M out of current test best.

(Cool Targeting, Camera, etc
    - Currently our targeting system differs from many MMOs in terms of our features and how we go about things. We will identify and make a more standard initial setup but allow flexibility.
    - Will add additional keybinding selections to allow flexibility

(9) Renown rank gear
    - Unfortunately, a new bug (well an old bug we fixed and then managed to break again) which allowed Rank 10 RR 6 players can go to Tier 2 to get better gear and then come back to Tier 1 and own scenarios. We are currently working on a fix.

I hope you enjoyed the Preview Weekend and we thank you for your interest and we hope, patronage of our game.

Guess what folks, that’s the news and I am outta here!

Mark

Timmer on
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Personally my only big gripes with PQs currently are...

1) Making the "choices" in the loot bag a bunch of random crafting garbage and money. Seems like having choices between different pieces of the same color would be nice.

2) White Loot Sacks.

3) Number of prizes not scaling with the number of participants.

Though this is mainly to encourage people to participate in PQs when there isn't a huge population. As things were previously in beta people would often times just farm stage one PQ areas for influence as running the whole thing was just not rewarding. Which was assuming that the Influence rewards were even worth it. The higher up I got the worse the influence rewards seemed, though this could very well have been due to the itemization not being finished.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Now that's what I wanted to see. I'm looking forward to Open Beta, it'll be interesting to see how much of that they can improve in a week. Fingers crossed!

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
This discussion has been closed.