As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

quake3.phallanet.org - [05:14] - VILLAGE VICTORY!

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    With thirty minutes in the stretch, Krata and MrMonroe are up on the chopping block...

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Institutional PederastyInstitutional Pederasty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Drez wrote: »

CLARIFICATIONS:
    Ragnar Danelongnamesomething

Should totally be my name change next time.

Anything other than IP...
    I'm still probably calling you Ragnar forever, unless an opportunity presents itself to capitalize on your current name. Just never change your av, because that's how I identify everyone. :)

Yea, I was thinking about that. Changing my avatar almost immediately after the name change, and change how I play and post and just act like a completely different person. That would have been fun.

Institutional Pederasty on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Reminder: 6 minutes for votes and actions. All of which I have not received.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Voting/actions closed.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    03:00 - 03:59

KrataLightblade - normal player - dead by inactivity
    MrMonroe - normal player - dead by inactivity
    Rainfall - griefer - shot by most players
    Institutionalised Pederasty - dial-up user - was killed by a Quake master.

- The server experienced some lag for about 15 seconds, but it was ineffectual.
    - The [Grief Masters] are expelled from the server! All the griefers are dead!
    - Message from server: "One antagonist remains."

Drez on
  • Options
    Institutional PederastyInstitutional Pederasty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    oooOOOOOooooooo

You guys are the ghey.

Dial-up sucks, you guys always make fun of me anyways.

oOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Institutional Pederasty on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Time to go-a bot hunting!

Edit: I am now taking applications for seering! If you'd like to be seered and not simply gunned down or voted out, please send me a PM with your role. Thank you!

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    *And if anyone need to know, Elldren confirmed me as good last night. This means the last troublemaker remaining is that pesky Quake Master guy. Elly says it's a hyperactive bot. Same thing really.*

dacvin: yeah
    dacvin: thankfully we didn't lose a lot of significant specials
    dacvin: that pederast power was to lag out everyone on the server

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just as well, I damn near lost my record of 23 headshots in a row! Thank the gods for playing over a T1 connection (lol research grants)

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The following people haven't contacted me: crimsoncoyote, damnedlibrarian.

So I'll flip a coin!

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Heads! !target crimsoncoyote

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    if there's one antagonist.

That'd have to be...!damnedlibrarian

Obbi on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Maybe your coin is working better, Obbi. !damnedlibrarian it is!

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    !Target damnedlibrarian

Nailgun pew pew pew

Wildcat on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    !Target DamnedLibrarian

Lightning Gun pew pew pew

yes I'm a copy cat

Egos on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Preach it, brother! Pew pew pew!

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    dacvin: I can get on with that
    dacvin: !Die damnedlibrarian

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    DamnedLibrarianDamnedLibrarian Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Big mistake. I'm not a bad guy fellas. My Quake skills are actually quite poor. I'm actually a villager, although I don't have any proof that doesn't seem cheap and meta-gamey.

!CrimsonCoyote

DamnedLibrarian on
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Big mistake. I'm not a bad guy fellas. My Quake skills are actually quite poor. I'm actually a villager, although I don't have any proof that doesn't seem cheap and meta-gamey.

!CrimsonCoyote

I laughed pretty hard at this. !damnedlibrarian

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    well, it is a possibility that Elldren's playin' us all for chumps.

Obbi on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    dacvin: he's not
    dacvin: trust me on that one

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    04:00 - 04:59

Wildcat - normal player - hacked
    Elldren - server administrator - killed by a Quake master
    DamnedLibrarian - normal player - shot by most players
    A bot feels sad. :(

SUDDEN DEATH RULES:

Due to the lack of living players, you may only select a new !target once. Anything past two !targets will be ignored.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Uh oh.

Obbi on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    OOoooOOOoo
    3 to 1 guys, you know who to gun for.
    ooOOOoooOO

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    OH NOES WHAT DO I DO!?

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    *Egos is asked to present himself to the firing range. I repeat, Egos is asked to present himself to the firing range. To be terminated, obviously.*

dacvin: yeah
    dacvin: leaving two irl friends and a hacker alive is not how you control a server, bot :)
    dacvin: !Target Egos

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    !target Egos

Obbi on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    !3G05 G0 |300M?

For the people that don't want to read that crap:
    !Egos go boom?

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    OooOOoooO
    are you going to let this go another 24 hours Drez, or just end it nowsish?
    ooOoooOOO

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    05:00 - 05:14

With the server admin booted from his own game, there was only one person left to suspect: the Quake master. And that could only be one person: Egos. So they converge on him in the Death Complex.

[b][color="Gold"]Egos:[/color][/b] I'm not a bot, I swear
    [b][color="Cyan"]Obbi:[/color][/b] ...
    [b][color="Cyan"]crimsoncoyote:[/color][/b] Pshaw, yea rite, no1 is that good
    [b][color="Cyan"]Obbi:[/color][/b] crimson dude u know i'm a bot wtf ^_^
    [b][color="Cyan"]crimsoncoyote:[/color][/b] I know man I know just playin'
    [b][color="Cyan"]Dac Vin:[/color][/b] Dudes, let's just shoot him okay?  I mean wtf y r we just talkin'
    [b][color="Cyan"]crimsoncoyote:[/color][/b] oh plz we know you've been hacking at our server all along
    [b][color="Cyan"]Dac Vin:[/color][/b] yeah but just to keep it safe u know...get rid of those griefers
    [b][color="Gold"]Egos:[/color][/b] brb...
    [b][color="Cyan"]Dac Vin:[/color][/b] bzzt, I don't think so mister quake master
    [b][color="Cyan"]crimsoncoyote:[/color][/b] yeah...no
    [b][color="Cyan"]Obbi:[/color][/b] alright, let's do this
    >[b]Blam![/b]
    >[b]Blam![/b]
    >[b]Blam![/b]

And Egos, the Quake master was no more.

Village victory!

Winners: Dac Vin, hacker, Obbi, the bot, and crimsoncoyote, the bot's human friend.

Drez on
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hurray! go village.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hi5

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Villager PM:
    Drez wrote:
    You are a villager!

Congratulations! You are a villager!

(Everyone gets this PM.)

Bot/friend PM:
    Drez wrote:
    Obbi, you are a self-aware gaming construct!

You don't remember when, but many cycles ago you experienced something of an awakening. You were initially called into being to fill out an incomplete player roster for Capture of Flag and have died thousands of times since, but only recently have you become aware of your own programming.

Unfortunately, your difficulty is currently set to "chump" and you have no way of upgrading yourself to a more lethal status at the moment... However upon being called into being, you were able to do a quick scan of the IPs logged into the system and noticed one of your own sparring buddies named - - a good, average, kind human.

crimsoncoyote, the bot Obbi has revealed himself to you and you can team up to kill these griefers.

Your win conditions match the village's win condition.

Admin PM:
    Drez wrote:
    Elldren, you are the administrator of quake3.phallanet.org!

You HATE griefers. They piss you off to no end. Every night, PM me the name of one player to scan the IP of one player connected to your server, and you will be able to tell if they are a griefer or not. If they are good, I will put you in contact with the person, otherwise the scan will be anonymous.

You know you have a bot out there, too, but you stupidly have it set to autogenerate a new name each time it logs into a game and as everyone is named something ridiculous, you have no way of knowing off the bat which one is your bot. Unfortunately, you keep it toggled to a rather lame difficulty, but if you could just figure out which one it is...

NOTE: As server admin, you've developed an iron will against being griefed. You cannot be driven off the server simply by being "bothered." In fact, if someone tries to do this, you will immediately be able to notice who it is. You are not invincible, however...

Your win condition matches the villager win condition.

Griefer PM:
    Drez wrote:
    Dac Vin, you are an experienced hacker!

...but not a very experienced Quake player. So, you approach the game from a different angle: Gleaning the IP of a player you want booted and booting them. Still, you're not a fan of griefers, even if you are kinda-sorta one yourself. But nobody needs to know that. You want to get rid of the griefers just as much as the other guys.

Once per night, tell me the name of one player you want to boot from the game world using your l33t haxx0ring skillz.

Dial-up user PM:
    Drez wrote:
    Ragnar Danneskjold, you are a lame-ass dial-up user!

Honestly, why do you persist on logging into these things with a 24000 baud connection? Ugh! Well, regardless, you know you're going to lag out at some point in this game. It's going to happen. It always happens.

When it happens, it affects everyone, not just you. In fact, it disrupts the rhythm so much, it even disturbs the griefer's ability to keep up their usually annoying tactics.

NOTE: This is a one-time use ability. Please message me on the night you wish to lag out, causing the griefers' attempts to grief someone off the server to fail for that one night.

Griefer PM:
    Drez wrote:
    El Skid; Toxic Toys; FrostMist; Quoth; Rainfall

[The Grief Masters]

You are all members of the [Grief Masters] clan!

You get off on the misery of others. Ruining fun? That's your shtick. Your goal is to make every little pansy log off in frustration. Every odd night, Please submit one name to drive off the server with a barrage of targeted grief. Every even night, please submit two names to drive off the server in the same manner.

Your objective is to either kill or drive everyone else off the server so you can do the Grief Master victory dance and upload your exploits to Youtube.

You also need to rid the game of any mavericks that may or may not be logged in. But, be warned, some of them may not be susceptible to your jerkassery.

Additionally:

Toxic Toys is your clan's typ3kill3r! You absolutely thrive on seeking out people with the little "..." icon above their heads and blasting them out of the game world. Once per day you may choose to kill one of the five chattiest bitches in the thread. This is based on post count and the count that matters is the post count FOR THAT SINGLE DAY right up to vote close. (As this will most likely be a time-sensitive role let me know and I will reassign the role among your clan. Let me know within the first game day, please.) Please send the name of your typekill target each night.

NOTE: If this target is not one of the top five posters for the day, your attack will fail that night. You are responsible for making sure your target passes that criteria.

El Skid is your clan's sp4wncamp3r! You aren't familiar with this particular map pack but that's okay; you're really good at honing in on those blue spawn particles. You just love shooting newbs that haven't had a chance to take the safety off their pistol square in the face. Once per night, please send me the name of your target and you will camp their spawn relentlessly until they leave the game.

Obviously, your collective win condition does not match anyone else's win condition.

Elitist PM:
    Drez wrote:
    Egos, you are the elitist!

You are a totally elite, hardcore, experienced, accomplished, accoladed, 14-year-old Quake player named fat2ity. You've won tournaments. You've even got a whole line of gaming products - mouse pads and compressed air canisters - named after you. Even so, once in a while you like to hop on to some random server and pwn nubs.

You also really hate griefers. They ruin the game. But not for you. You're so hardcore, you are impervious to being griefed.

Likewise, with your skills you can only die if at least 1/3 (rounded up to the nearest player) of the players target you. You're just that damn good at dodging.

Your objective is to kill everyone, or at least be the last one on the scoreboard still alive. "Last Man Standing" means something special to you. You like being the last man. So please submit the name of one player to fill with plasma each night.

Your win condition does not match anyone else's win condition.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So did I seriously fuck up balance or something? Let me know please.

I figured with 26/27 people five griefers would be okay with the third faction (Egos) around. That would leave 20/21 villagers and 6 bad guys which is just about 1/4.

The griefers essentially got 3-4 kills a night assuming their spawncamper and typekillers stayed alive. I did NOT expect that wipeout. That was interesting.

Obbi and crimsoncoyote were masons but had no inherent ability. I think people misinterpreted what I meant by "bot." The mechanic was that Obbi - the bot - would become lethal if Elldren - the admin/seer - seered him, turning him into a vigilante. Ironically, Elldren almost seered Obbi on the last day and changed it like five minutes to vote close. Not that it really mattered, but I would have given Obbi vigilante powers at that point.

So basically the village had one vigilante at the beginning with the possibility of a second. Also, I made the seer unkillable to the griefers but not the elitist. And there were no guardians.

Also, Ragnar tried to activate his ability the night he died which was also the night he tried to activate his ability which was ALSO the night Rainfall - the last griefer died - and a night in which he failed to send in two griefing targets, which I would have accepted even if he died. However, ironically they would have been nullified by Ragnar's ability anyway. That was a fucking weird night. Easy for me to figure out in the end, but everyone's actions that night were just peculiar to me.

I'm just wondering if I made it too hard for the baddies, or if they just got very unlucky. Egos was doing really well actually.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    O well that's interesting..... I made the type killers day one target easy :P

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    dacvin: well this was some good fun, but i have to go work, if you know what I mean
    dacvin: :p
    dacvin: see ya all!

dacvin has left the game.

DAMN does it feel good to be able to speak normally again!

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Anyway, I hope you all had fun. I tried experimenting with the way some otherwise normal roles worked - like tacking on the vigilante-making to the seer and the whole typekiller thing.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Heh. Normally.

In any case, I did change my seer target from the bot to the quake master, so it's not as if it would have been a waste.

Edit: Please note that as the "network" as it were never numbered more than 2, and that for the second half of the game it was completely in the open we had no proboards. So sorry. Suffice it to say that I communicated with DV first through Thetheroo and then directly after making my own reveal. Night 1 my seer target (warban) died and my night 3 seer target was Rainfall (evil). Night 4 I seered Dac Vin, to make sure he wasn't the Serial Killer type role, then night 5 I targeted Egos for seering (but died).

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I so want to see the Griefer forums now.

As for balance it was fine i think. Was there even a seer?

Edit: Yes there was.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I apologize for the anemic narrations, but really, how melodramatic can you get with Quake 3? Besides, the results are the most important. I'm very sorry for that 13 hour delay too.

Drez on