As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii Shop] Super Star Wars, NyxQuest, Rock N' Roll Climber, Brain Age Express

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Didn't know that, I guess I now have a project to try the following in Mario RPG :D

FF6 did the keep-experience thing as well. The summer after Chrono Trigger, I noticed it was mentioned in the manual (p73, "Losers Prosper"). Something clicked in my head and I realized that I could have "new game plus" of sorts in FF6 by saving only once in the Narshe Mines and leaving the SNES on long enough to get Terra to L99.

I failed around L80, hit with instea-death while alone, but [vidURL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdJ40zumBx0"]my friend pulled it off[/vidURL] (twice, [vidURL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwiJVOk0j6s&feature=related"]did it again on FF6 Advance[/vidURL]).

"New game plus" in Mario RPG would be even sweeter IMO; the game's honestly harder than FF6.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Conan-san wrote: »
    So, anyway, Y's has come out for the VC over here and I'm wondering is it worth the 800 points to dl it?

It was worth it for me, but I had played it before. Check out the videos in the second post. I think a lot of people would find the combat weird.

SteevL on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Another neat fact about SMRPG.

When you die you go back to your last save point...with all your levels intact.

I first learned that back in 1996 or so when one time I didn't save for three hours and yet amazingly breezed through those sections that once kicked my ass.

I knew there was a reason I would be pissed if this didn't come out.

Particularly helpful when you consider star's. You can get a star, blow through 10-15 fights, die, then do it again. I believe this is particularly succesful at the star before monstro town, I think there is a save point right before it, and the enemies give lots of exps. If I remember correctly.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is there a place in SMRPG generally agreed upon as the best for levelling up?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Back in the day I used to level up at Star Road to level up a lot. But I was young and ignorant so I'm not sure if it was actually a good place or not.

urahonky on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Ceno wrote: »
    Mario RPG on VC just angers me. I don't want to buy a Wii. I just want Mario RPG on my DS. C'mon Nintendo, beat that dead horse! Release it for both!

Just think of it as you buying a $250 copy of SMRPG, and not buying a Wii.

That sounds like the time I bought tetris grand master ace for 350$. But I think he wants a portable version and I cannot blame him.
    That sounds like the time I bought Grand Theft Auto IV for $500.

forty on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    There was this one underground section where you could pop a Star and then run through about thirty guys, almost always leveling up.

I would do that over and over again when I was a kid.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So SMRPG is pretty dang awesome.

I haven't played this game since I was, like, 11 years old, and it was on a rental, and I had no idea what was going on. I had no knowledge of RPGs, so the battle system was a serious shot from the blue.

On buying it, I was partly of the belief that it wouldn't quite hold up to the hype and nostalgia, but it turns out that no, it actually is as good as people said.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Zampano wrote: »
    Super Metroid is pretty much a perfect game.

Though I'd like to qualify that with "for it's time."

If it came out today it would need action packed cut scenes and voice dialog.

No, don't even joke about such a thing. :P

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    RBach wrote: »
    Zampano wrote: »
    Super Metroid is pretty much a perfect game.

Though I'd like to qualify that with "for it's time."

If it came out today it would need action packed cut scenes and voice dialog.

No, don't even joke about such a thing. :P

Well it's true, people would whine and bitch about it. Man, the game hardly even has any text, much less dialogue.

In other news, I never quite know what to upgrade when a character levels up in Mario RPG... Anyone know a good strategy?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    In other news, I never quite know what to upgrade when a character levels up in Mario RPG... Anyone know a good strategy?

Spoilers for game mechanics:
    Turns out that at every level, one stat can go up more than it usually can. If you want a completely optimized team, take this route. It's kind of hard to explain but there should be a game mechanics guide at GameFAQs that explains it pretty well. It also provides exact numbers for every weapon, who levels up how much, etc.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    RE: Mario RPG and Levelling up
    What I usually do is check on each of the three categories before I choose one and count how many points that category adds total. I'll always pick that one unless I notice a character is lacking in something, say, very low HP. Then I'll boost that.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My brother noticed that when he played it long ago. However, he also noticed the highest upgrades were always in the same order. Mario's was Special, Physical and HP, for example.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    For reference, I leveled nothing but POW for Bowser and Mario the entire game, nothing but Magic for Mallow, and a mix (excluding HP) for Geno and Peach.

This game is pretty easy, so don't worry too much about it.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Post Blue wrote: »
    jack eddy wrote: »
    Is samurai showdown 2 the bee's knees? Atleast as many knees as Street Fighter 2? I can't remember if I liked it because I was a child or if I liked it becasue it was a good game.
    Well, I'm not terribly good at fighting games, and I'm certainly no expert at mastering their intricacies, but those who are pretty consistently put forth Samurai Showdown II as one of the most 'dissectible' and interesting collections of characters and move sets out there. I'd say it's certainly amongst the best of SNKs contributions, and I'm a huge Neo Geo fan.

I'm late on this, but I just want to say that Samurai Showdown 2 is fucking awesome. I'd say that it's easily the best installment in its series, and the best SNK fighting game outside the King of Fighters series with the possible exception of Garou. Still one of the most gorgeous 2D fighters ever, too. One of my favorite games; can't recommend it highly enough.

shyguy on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Crashmo wrote: »
    For reference, I leveled nothing but POW for Bowser and Mario the entire game, nothing but Magic for Mallow, and a mix (excluding HP) for Geno and Peach.

If you want to be really anal (my specialty), each level-up one of the three selectable bonuses is slightly larger than the other two. Checking Gamefaqs and analyzing some tables reveals Glenn's brother was onto something and there is a repeating pattern behind which bonus was highest:

Mario: Star, Pow, Hp
    Mallow: Pow, Hp, Star
    Geno: Hp, Star, Pow
    Bowser: Pow, Hp, Star
    Peach: Hp, Star, Pow

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    Zealous OneZealous One Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    IceBurner wrote: »

If you want to be really anal (my specialty), each level-up one of the three selectable bonuses is slightly larger than the other two. Checking Gamefaqs and analyzing some tables reveals Glenn's brother was onto something and there is a repeating pattern behind which bonus was highest:

Actually, it looks like the order doesn't technically differ among characters as long as you just look at levels.

Example: Character reaches Level X. Divide X by 3.
    If remainder is 0, Pow is the best upgrade.
    If remainder is 1, HP is the best upgrade.
    If remainder is 2, Star is the best upgrade.

So it cycles Pow, HP, Star in the same order. Since characters join at different levels (Mallow starts at 2, etc.), you just need to adjust accordingly.

Zealous One on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Oh, I got all that. I'm just saying it doesn't matter all that much if you're going to be hitting max level or getting the "legendary" items since the difficulty of this game is turned way down. :P

That being said, I had no idea of the Culex fight since I haven't played this since I was very young and internetless. Awesome.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Oh, I got all that. I'm just saying it doesn't matter all that much if you're going to be hitting max level or getting the "legendary" items since the difficulty of this game is turned way down. :P

That being said, I had no idea of the Culex fight since I haven't played this since I was very young and internetless. Awesome.

My strategy the first time I beat Culex was rather crude. Basically I stocked up on syrups, gave Geno the Lazy Shell armor, and used nothing but Geno Flash and timed blocks.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, Crocco always beats my ass the first time around. I hate that guy.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Holy crap, I forgot how hard the ship is. It's way harder than anything that came before it.

And the damn 3D maze.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've never finished the 3D maze. What's the clue you get from that anyway?

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    I've never finished the 3D maze. What's the clue you get from that anyway?
    "There are two vowels."

Yeah, real helpful. You also get a royal syrup (restore FP to max).

I also just got my first gameover in the game. I'm sure glad the EXP carries over.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    CheesechickCheesechick Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I beat SMRPG yesterday! It was my first time playing it. I really liked it. I actually kind of liked the Paper Mario games and Superstar Saga better though. More Luigi!

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I love the music so much in SMRPG.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Holy crap, I forgot how hard the ship is. It's way harder than anything that came before it.

And the damn 3D maze.

Man when I was little I could never figure out the goddamn password.... when I finally found out what it was I felt helluv stupid. Still do, actually.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    SirUltimos wrote: »

And the damn 3D maze.

Man when I was little I could never figure out the goddamn password.... when I finally found out what it was I felt helluv stupid. Still do, actually.

As soon as I read the first clue, I knew what the password was. Not sure how. Could have been leftover from 12 years ago, though I don't remember anything else about that ship. I never did get through that stupid 3D maze, though.

Any word yet on what's coming tomorrow? Not that I need anything else right now.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    edited September 2008

I played this on loop for hours while playing.

http://smrpgremix.ytmnd.com/

e: I really love the boss music, but the normal fight music is way too happy.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    Conan-sanConan-san Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That blasted Multi Tiered Phrana Plant just before you get to Nimbus Land. Fuck it and fuck it's Petal Dance attack.

Conan-san on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Here's a little somethin for ya

Imbroglio Grove (Forest Maze)

I'd just put up a link to the MP3 if I had a place to host it *shrug*

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh shi. That sounds awesome! Megaupload.com ?

Also, I didn't know Uematsu did the music for SMRPG. I love that guy!

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Uematsu did some of the music for Super Mario RPG, but not all of it. I think Yoko Shimomura did the funkier sounding stuff like the boss battle themes and whatnot.

Megaupload.com isn't even coming up for me... is yousendit still around? I spose I could try that.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Here we go

Imbroglio Grove MP3

The link is good for 7 days or 100 downloads, I guess. It's through yousendit.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hope we get Megaman II tomorrow.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hoping for Earthbound (as always) or Secret of Mana (Japan got it).

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's almost as if the person who did SMRPG's soundtrack went on to do Kingdom Hearts...

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Here we go

Imbroglio Grove MP3

The link is good for 7 days or 100 downloads, I guess. It's through yousendit.

Awesome, thanks!

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What's the best classic controller for VC games? The official one by Nintendo, or are there better third party ones out there that you guys recommend? Also, will a Japanese classic controller be compatible with an American Wii?

Arceus on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Arceus wrote: »
    What's the best classic controller for VC games? The official one by Nintendo, or are there better third party ones out there that you guys recommend? Also, will a Japanese classic controller be compatible with an American Wii?

Unless Sega re-releases a Saturn-style pad, Nintendo's stock CC is probably as good as it's going to get.

And controllers aren't region-locked for any console that I know of.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.