As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wii Shop] Super Star Wars, NyxQuest, Rock N' Roll Climber, Brain Age Express

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's very rare that I'm disapointed in Nintendo....but this time...I'm very disapointed in Nintendo. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've never heard of that site before and it's just a half-step above "I heard from the guy at GameStop that X, Y and Z," but it sounds somewhat plausible. That seems like a really peculiar thing for a general customer support tech to respond back with, though.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Especially with the all-caps emphasis on "NO" and the abbreviation of Virtual Console in the first sentence. Seems out of place.

SteevL on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, I have a hard time believing Nintendo's customer service would talk like that.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That is an obvious fabrication.

Meanwhile, I just picked up Neutopia II and Bit Trip Beat, with the points left over after getting Alien Crush Returns.

Awesome, every one of them. Bit Trip Beat could have had a better menu/gui system outside the game, but the game itself is great. And Neutopia II is a perfect Zelda style action RPG. Controls like a dream and has memorable music. I played Neutopia before Zelda 1, so it's really hard to make myself play the latter.

Saddler on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wow, I had no idea that a new Monkey Island game was coming to the Wii store. Just the other day my girlfriend was complaining that it was a great series and never got redone on newer platforms. If I can get my Wii online this week, should be a nice surprise waiting for her when she boots the Wii up.

-Loki- on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Saddler wrote: »
    Does anybody know roughly how many hours of gameplay in My Life as a Dark Lord? I'm thinking about picking it up, but I'm looking for a lengthy experience right now.

I just started the final set of missions, and I think I've invested about 10 hours or so into it. This is including going up against those damn hard side missions.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    RockinX wrote: »
    I downloaded Kirby 3 recently and I noticed that the transparency effect of being underwater looks weird. Does it look weird to anyone else? I have a regular TV with regular AV cables connected.

RockinX on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's probably due to the emulator being weird, more than anything.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
    edited July 2009
    I don't have Kirby 3, but I did notice a sort of rainbow effect on the "transparency" effect shown on the monitors in Gunstar Heroes when I used my Wii on my old SDTV. I haven't tested it on my HDTV though.

Coincidentally, this also occurred with Beyond Good & Evil when I played it on my Wii. I tested it with my Gamecube and got regular white text, but with the Wii there was a slight rainbow effect.

SteevL on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I saw something interesting at the Wii Sports Resort setup in the mall of america last weekend... one of the Wiis had a channel labeled Wii + Internet. What the crap is that about?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I saw something interesting at the Wii Sports Resort setup in the mall of america last weekend... one of the Wiis had a channel labeled Wii + Internet. What the crap is that about?

It's a promo video that Gamestops can put on that explains what the Wii online can do and whatnot.

Purely PR stuff.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    La Mulana coming to WiiWare

It's a joint effort of the original developers and the studio that's doing the Cave Story upgrade WiiWare.

Some screens can be found on the official site.

peterdevore on
    edited July 2009
    Oh man, nice. I never played La Mulana. I mean, I guess I could if I wanted to right now, but I dislike playing these types of games on my PC.

I just hope this and Cave Story sell well on WiiWare.

SteevL on
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I can't remember the last time I bought a VC game. There's stuff I meant to buy but never got around to it. Seeing as how it has gotten to a point of irrelevance to me, I'll probably look through the VC catalog and burn points that I've been sitting on for a while now.

Shady3011 on
    edited July 2009
    I'm still hoping for Dracula X: Rondo of Blood on the VC one day. Pretty sure that's not going to happen before this iteration of the VC/WiiShop thread runs its course.

I really should get Shining Force II, though. That's been available for a while, but I wanted to beat Shining Force first. I've already beaten it on the Genesis many years ago, but I started a new game a year or two ago and just stopped for whatever reason.

SteevL on
    edited July 2009
    I still want to buy Pulseman, just don't have the money right now.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited July 2009
    Is there any word on if TMNT: Re-Shelled is dropping on Wiiware/VC after the 360's exclusivity is over?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is there any word on if TMNT: Re-Shelled is dropping on Wiiware/VC after the 360's exclusivity is over?

I imagine they'd have to overhaul it to fit the Wii's processor, so even if it does happen it may take a while.

...wait, don't you have a 360? You can't get it there?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited July 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I imagine they'd have to overhaul it to fit the Wii's processor, so even if it does happen it may take a while.

He could, but, well, Nintendo.

The only thing I could find is a possibly accidental slip on an xbox.com page that revealed the Summer of Arcade lineup's exclusivity windows: It mentions that TMNT Reshelled has a tiny 30-day exclusive window, and since a PSN version has been mentioned and WiiWare isn't seen anywhere, I think they're talking about PSN. Getting it on the Wii is a long shot at best. I wonder if the SNES or arcade versions could come to VC, though.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited July 2009

I do.
    Lunker wrote: »

WTF?

It's more of a case where I already have two Wii remotes & two gamecube controllers (if it would even support them) wheras I only have one 360 controller.

I'm much better equipped for multiplayer on the Wii.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited July 2009

I do.

WTF?

It's more of a case where I already have two Wii remotes & two gamecube controllers (if it would even support them) wheras I only have one 360 controller.

I thought you hated multiplayer, which is your stated reason for never ever buying Rock Band.

cloudeagle on
    edited July 2009

I do.

WTF?

I thought you hated multiplayer, which is your stated reason for never ever buying Rock Band.

I never said I hated multiplayer.

What I did say is that I don't know enough people that are interested in Rock Band to want to sit down in front of plastic instruments and act like they're playing music.

Now gathering a handful of people for a classic TMNT arcade game or Mario Kart?

No issue there.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited July 2009

I do.

WTF?

Okay, that was a cheap shot, and the controllers thing makes perfect sense. Still, seeing this right after you asked for a DSi or Wii port of the Beneath a Steel Sky remaster, even though you own an iPod Touch, is pretty transparent. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but let's be frank. :P

From what I've seen of TMNT Reshelled, though, I think I'd prefer a straight arcade port on VC over the XBLA remake. What was the last actual arcade release on the platform, anyway? I only remember hearing about the initial launch lineup, and then nothing.

Lunker on
    edited July 2009

I do.

WTF?

Okay, that was a cheap shot, and the controllers thing makes perfect sense. Still, seeing this right after you asked for a DSi or Wii port of the Beneath a Steel Sky remaster, even though you own an iPod Touch, is pretty transparent. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but let's be frank. :P

I own an iPod Touch, this is true. However, it's the first generation, which means it has no speaker. I don't always carry around earbuds, and playing games on the thing without sound isn't a whole lot of fun.

Meanwhile, the DSi DOES have speakers, and even though I don't own one, the touch screen/stylus interface is perfect for a game like BaSS.

Same goes for the Wii with the infrared-based pointing control scheme.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited July 2009
    Don't let it get to you Zero, we're all allowed to have our preferences. I also prefer the Wii above other platforms, as well as my DS. Mega Man 9, when it was released, was a no brainer for me to get on the Wii. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, the promised arcade stuff has kinda vanished. So has most of the C64 stuff. Sigh.

Edit: And zero, you'd be surprised at how many unsuspecting people you can get hooked on Rock Band. I'm up to two dozen myself. :P

cloudeagle on
    edited July 2009
    Zero, just tell them you bought RB and they'll get off your case. *whistles innocently*

I'm still hoping at some point they'll release Montezuma's Revenge for the C64, one of my absolute favorite games for the system.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited July 2009

It's a promo video that Gamestops can put on that explains what the Wii online can do and whatnot.

Purely PR stuff.

Just wanted to mention that apparently it's on new consoles as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1tHp6aSTV0

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited August 2009
    So I've been trying to find what we're getting today, and it looks like it might be Overturn and Sexy Poker (!) for WiiWare, Tecmo Bowl for VC, and Art Style: precipice for DSiWare. Will update the thread properly when it's confirmed.

Sexy Poker? Really?

SteevL on
    edited August 2009
    Well, if we do get Tecmo Bowl that'll shut up the "VC is dead!" crowd for, uh, a day or two.

cloudeagle on
  • Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wait, we already have Tecmo Bowl.

This thread has some 'splain to do!

Spicy_Rev on
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=19272
    NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: GRIDIRON ACTION, ART STYLE ANTICS, ROBOT BATTLES AND SEDUCTIVE BETS

Aug. 3, 2009

The onset of August means summer is winding down, but the downloadable action at the Wii™ Shop Channel and Nintendo DSi Shop™ just keeps on heating up. Two new WiiWare™ offerings deliver futuristic robot foes and sultry poker opponents, respectively. On the Virtual Console™, there's great news for football fans as the arcade classic TECMO BOWL™ makes its way to the Wii system. And on Nintendo DSiWare™, you'll find a fresh addition to the eye-pleasing, mind-bending Art Style™ game series.

WiiWare

OVERTURN
    Publisher: Studio Zan Inc.
    Players: 1-4
    ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) - Fantasy Violence
    Price: 800 Wii Points™
    Description: OVERTURN is a futuristic robot-versus-robot fighting game. Choose from eight different robots to pilot and master, using various close-range and long-range weapons to blast away enemies in six single-player tournaments. Unlock secret modes and up to 12 new weapons. Customize your robot's color and weapons to prepare for your next battle. Then take the action online to play in a two-player Versus battle or a four-player Battle Royale match. Search the world for Friends or other players who are online and ready for battle. Players with the optional Wii Balance Board™ can use it to control their robots by shifting their weight.

Sexy Poker™
    Publisher: Gameloft
    Players: 1
    ESRB Rating: M (Mature) - Simulated Gambling, Suggestive Themes
    Price: 500 Wii Points
    Description: Get your pulse racing with a game of strip poker against a selection of six lovely manga-style women who may wind up in nothing but swimsuits or underwear when the final hand is dealt. Choose the classic Texas Hold'em Poker to be thrilled as the bets increase, or try the Black Jack game for a mix of chance and strategy. Discover the girls' personalities: they'll bluff you! Enter the photo gallery to see the pictures you've unlocked by playing and winning. If you're good enough, Emi, Sakura and their seductive girlfriends will bet their clothes to stay in the game.

Virtual Console

TECMO BOWL
    Publisher: Tecmo
    Players: 1-4
    ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
    Price: 600 Wii Points
    Description: Released in 1987, the football game that took America by storm is back. This arcade version required a custom-made dual-screen cabinet and was popular for its large characters and intense graphics. The game is filled with great action as players take control of receivers and running backs, quickly moving the controller to break a tackle. Play alone or with up to four players in a two-on-two match. Experience the best moments of both competitive and cooperative play, finding holes in your opponent's defense, then savor the thrill of receiving a pass thrown by your teammate. In addition, game options such as play time, team division and difficulty level can be adjusted.

Nintendo DSiWare

Art Style: precipice™
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Players: 1
    ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Comic Mischief
    Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points™
    Description: The sky is falling in the form of cubes in the action-oriented Art Style: precipice. Watch for the telltale shadow to avoid seeing your character get crushed by a falling cube while climbing the stacked cubes to ascend to the floors above. Push, pull or shove cubes to make your climb easier. Try to gain extra points by stepping on five cubes in a row on the same floor. In addition, you'll encounter special cubes that can either be helpful or harmful to your effort. Choose from either TEN FLOORS mode, which challenges you to reach the tenth floor while scoring as many points as possible, or TOWER mode, which gives you the chance to climb as high as you can. Do you have what it takes to make it to the top, or will you be crushed?

Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo DSi Shop and the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mondays. Users with broadband Internet access can redeem Wii Points or Nintendo DSi Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that both Wii and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit Wii.com or NintendoDSi.com.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Spicy_Rev wrote: »
    Wait, we already have Tecmo Bowl.

This thread has some 'splain to do!

Looks like it's the arcade version, hence the 600 point price tag.

Lunker on
    edited August 2009
    Hm, so the arcade thing is back to life too. Woot.

cloudeagle on
    edited August 2009

It never died?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited August 2009

It never died?

Well, according to the overreacting internet wags it did. Hell, there were people in this thread wondering about it.

cloudeagle on
  • darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Until I actually get on the shop channel and see for myself I will believe that the Sexy Poker thing is an April Fool's joke. It being August is not sufficient to convince me otherwise.

darthmix on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    darthmix wrote: »
    Until I actually get on the shop channel and see for myself I will believe that the Sexy Poker thing is an April Fool's joke. It being August is not sufficient to convince me otherwise.

Why? It's not like it's rated E. There have been other games rated T on Wiiware/VC before and M is not unheard of. I'm sure it's shovelware crap anyway though.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ratings aside, I just don't have any precedent for Nintendo green-lighting a game whose only draw is its sexual theme for release on one of their systems. I mean, even if it doesn't have nudity, it's a strip poker game. It seems completely counter to the image they try to cultivate, at least in this region.

darthmix on