As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dr. Horrible (and hulu, and youtube) on your Xbox 360...

jimenexjimenex Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
http://www.themediamall.com/playon

Tycho mentioned it on his post. From the website:
PlayOn enables consumers who own a PLAYSTATION 3, Xbox 360, or HP MediaSmart TV to watch Internet video from sites including Hulu, CBS, YouTube, ESPN and more on their television. We have just released PlayOn Beta. Netflix support is just down the road, and the fully featured release will be coming shortly!

We will also be adding support for Nintendo Wii by the end of 2008. Stay tuned!

The beta is free, and the full product is $30 one-time fee.

So far, I haven't gotten Hulu to work, some youtube videos work ( the TopGear channel does not, for some reason :?)

This has INCREDIBLE potential.

So discuss: Is it working for you? hate it? like it?

bg.gif
jimenex on

• freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Some of it works, some of it doesn't. I was able to watch an episode of Family Guy and Sliders, but Dr. Horrible and Speed Racer didn't work for me. The 360 threw an error and the file had a red cancel symbol next to it.

Maybe it has something to do with the power of the PC attached to it for the on-the-fly transcoding? This one's processor and RAM are pretty beefy, though. Hm.

freakish light on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    All I can say is I hope it doesn't die, because this is the future I've been waiting for.

As is the case with most people, there is precisely one cable company I have access to and their service has been declining steadily for the past couple years, ever since the HD push came along. Compression artifacts on movies, service interruptions, climbing fees.. we've all seen it.

Nothing would make me happier than to cancel my service with them, if it didn't cut me off from the shows I want to watch (satellite isn't an option for me in this apartment).

xzzy on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    xzzy wrote: »
    All I can say is I hope it doesn't die, because this is the future I've been waiting for.

As is the case with most people, there is precisely one cable company I have access to and their service has been declining steadily for the past couple years, ever since the HD push came along. Compression artifacts on movies, service interruptions, climbing fees.. we've all seen it.

Nothing would make me happier than to cancel my service with them, if it didn't cut me off from the shows I want to watch (satellite isn't an option for me in this apartment).

You've described my situation exactly.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I am going to try this when I get the chance. Up until now I've just been streaming DivX/Xvid content from my home server to my 360 using the video blade's media player. If this can reliably stream stuff as it says it can, it will be a nice compliment to my present setup.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm trying to install the program, but it's telling me I don't have enough RAM. It says it needs 512 mb and I have a gig. Any ideas?

YardGnome on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    whats the differnce between this and Orb?

Big Classy on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Huzzah! This is great. I am watching Sliders. . . with Arturo! All is right with the world.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • jimenexjimenex Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What's Orb? Does it support Hulu?

Hulu is really all I care about.

jimenex on
    bg.gif
    edited August 2008
    Some of it works, some of it doesn't. I was able to watch an episode of Family Guy and Sliders, but Dr. Horrible and Speed Racer didn't work for me. The 360 threw an error and the file had a red cancel symbol next to it.

Maybe it has something to do with the power of the PC attached to it for the on-the-fly transcoding? This one's processor and RAM are pretty beefy, though. Hm.

I'm getting this error as well, could it be a router issue?

jimenex on
    bg.gif
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Big Isy wrote: »
    whats the differnce between this and Orb?

This is better. Last time I checked Orb routes everything through it's home server for transcodeing

Personally I use just use Nero Media Home to stream everything to my PS3 without transcending. If this program gets Hulu running at even 95% with Netflix my PS3 will be complete.

Question, do you need a Live Gold account to use Playon with the 360? I've been using my PS3 for streaming and haven't tried my 360.

Dark Shroud on
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hulu won't work if you're not from the USA.

Recoil42 on
    edited August 2008
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Hulu won't work if you're not from the USA.

precisely :(
    OOrb is useless for me, only streams youtube, google vids and a few other rubbish-y stuff

Big Classy on
  • Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man, none of you have mentioned Tversity. I've never had a problem with this program, and I can even stream HD (.mkv) video with it (even with my beefy system, it doesn't play it smooth).

Racist Joke on
    Steam
    Xbox Live: Kunohara
    edited August 2008
    oh shit I forgot about that.

Doqwnlaoding

Big Classy on
    edited August 2008
    Got Hulu working on the 360! Whenever a file gives you the "red icon" error just keep clicking it until it works. It may take a few tries, but it may be related to the PC encoding a large file, since I only get the error with full shows (not with clips).

I watched Dr. Horrible and the Daily Show.

I still can't get the Top Gear channel to work on Youtube though, anyone?

I'm gonna give this thing a couple of more weeks...then cancel my cable

jimenex on
    bg.gif