Options

Company of Heroes [GAME ON SOLDIER!]

• Options
    LiquidatorLiquidator Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Relic name: CastleBravo

I'm on now so if someone wants to add me to their list we can play a game - haven't tried multiplayer yet.

Liquidator on
  • Options
    Simply ScientologySimply Scientology Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    CoH is one of the best RTS's for newbies I think.

You get less units, and less resources, making it more of a tactics game, than a micro game. Of course micro plays a big part, just not as big as Dawn of War, or Warcraft 3.

Simply Scientology on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    WHY BLOODY WHY

WHY DID YOU DROP

Ro is a PoS at times

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    that was a godo game guys too bad bloody dropped.

at the end though the axis kept saying AIRBORN IS SO CHEAP ON THIS MAP, THIS MAP IS TOO BIG, WAH WAH WAH

and then I droped an antitank gun behind his tiger and blew it to shit.

it was fucking awesome

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Company of Heroes is an awesome game, if you can get it to work online. Which is never. I can't connect to any fucking games, and my ports are open. There is no router, as it connects directly to the wall. McAfee has CoH on the allowed access list. And I get this when I run WinStun:

NAT Mapping is not endpoint independent - VOIP will NOT work
    Does not preserve port number
    Does not supports hairpin of media

This is the third time I've posted this. Does anyone, for the love of fucking God, know what it means and can give me any possible solutions?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I have no idea what that means. Have you tried playing with Hamachi? You'd only be able to play in-house games... but...

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Dashui wrote:
    Company of Heroes is an awesome game, if you can get it to work online. Which is never. I can't connect to any fucking games, and my ports are open. There is no router, as it connects directly to the wall. McAfee has CoH on the allowed access list. And I get this when I run WinStun:

This is the third time I've posted this. Does anyone, for the love of fucking God, know what it means and can give me any possible solutions?

what ip address do you have according to ipconfig? (start-run-cmd-ipconfig) is it possible your isp is screwing you over and natting you on their end?

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Dashui wrote:

what ip address do you have according to ipconfig? (start-run-cmd-ipconfig) is it possible your isp is screwing you over and natting you on their end?

IP Address 172.20.106.35
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 172.20.106.1

This is frustrating. I even disabled the firewall and tried that. Then tried Windows Firewall and opened the ports with that and it didn't work. Although, that makes me consider simply uninstalling McAfee and using Windows Firewall + a virus program (since my McAfee is about to expire in October). Any suggestions on a good virus program? Better than McAfee?

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Dashui wrote:
    Dashui wrote:

IP Address 172.20.106.35

This is frustrating. I even disabled the firewall and tried that. Then tried Windows Firewall and opened the ports with that and it didn't work. Although, that makes me consider simply uninstalling McAfee and using Windows Firewall + a virus program (since my McAfee is about to expire in October). Any suggestions on a good virus program? Better than McAfee?

well..i've got some bad news..and some worse news
    172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255 are reserved for private use ip addresses, which seems to mean that your ISP is natting you on their end..and their NAT doesnt support endpoint independant mapping..which google tells me is apparently very important..so..yeah :(

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Speaking of frustrating, anyone have their wins come up as a loss? I won 3 matches tonight, and for some reason 2 of them came up as losses! :shock:

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Plugs directly into the wall as in some sort of university lan style network with no modem?

What ISP?

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Dashui wrote:
    Dashui wrote:

IP Address 172.20.106.35

well..i've got some bad news..and some worse news
    172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255 are reserved for private use ip addresses, which seems to mean that your ISP is natting you on their end..and their NAT doesnt support endpoint independant mapping..which google tells me is apparently very important..so..yeah :(

So, how do I fix this?

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    dispatch.o wrote:
    Plugs directly into the wall as in some sort of university lan style network with no modem?

What ISP?

Exactly. And it's Time Warner I do believe.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Dashui wrote:
    dispatch.o wrote:

What ISP?

Then it's on your end. Whoever is running your lan needs to give you some love. If you're in a frat house or something, ask whoever it is if they can give you an ip up in the 192.x.x.x range and forward some ports.

No matter what you disable on your end, your LAN probably has a server running one if not several forms of port protection.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Anyone up for a game? We need a 6th for a PA 3vs3

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    dispatch.o wrote:
    Dashui wrote:
    dispatch.o wrote:

What ISP?

Then it's on your end. Whoever is running your lan needs to give you some love. If you're in a frat house or something, ask whoever it is if they can give you an ip up in the 192.x.x.x range and forward some ports.

No matter what you disable on your end, your LAN probably has a server running one if not several forms of port protection.

All that was basically German to my eyes. Can you do it in idiot speak?

Dashui on
  • Options
    InsiderInsider Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Insider wrote:
    I am really really terrible at rts games (hence I dont like them that much).
    How is is this to pick up and play? Is there a lot of, build this, now you have this unit so you can build this, now that you built that, ect...
    Is there a lot of resource managment? As in, do I have to have a certian amount of ____ to keep getting troops or to even keep playing?

Its very very very micro intensive. If you can't micro all your units constantly then you will do horrible in Mplayer. Big turn off to me IMO.

Yes, but the micro is the micro of your actual combat troops. I'm finding that build order is not very important. What's important is choosing which units to build to deal with whatever you're facing. You don't need to micro resources or frantically climb the tech tree like you would in other RTS games.

True. Its still pretty difficult for people like myself who can't micro for shit.

Insider on
    Steam
    Sneaky..
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Sonelan wrote:

I'm trying to figure out why i was lagging in that last game we played before i do anymore :oops:

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Sonelan wrote:

I'm trying to figure out why i was lagging in that last game we played before i do anymore :oops:
    Pfft get in anyway. You don't really lag anyway

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Dashui wrote:
    dispatch.o wrote:
    Dashui wrote:
    dispatch.o wrote:

What ISP?

If you're plugging your network cable directly into the wall then someone somewhere is running a network. This network is what you connect to, a server assigns you an IP. This server probably also has a firewall set up, and has something restricted that you need available to connect to relic online.

Edit: Im also talking quite literally ethernet cable from computer to wall socket designed for ethernet cables. If it's going into a modem of some kind which you have direct control of, the above stuff doesn't apply.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Insider wrote:
    Insider wrote:
    I am really really terrible at rts games (hence I dont like them that much).
    How is is this to pick up and play? Is there a lot of, build this, now you have this unit so you can build this, now that you built that, ect...
    Is there a lot of resource managment? As in, do I have to have a certian amount of ____ to keep getting troops or to even keep playing?

Its very very very micro intensive. If you can't micro all your units constantly then you will do horrible in Mplayer. Big turn off to me IMO.

Yes, but the micro is the micro of your actual combat troops. I'm finding that build order is not very important. What's important is choosing which units to build to deal with whatever you're facing. You don't need to micro resources or frantically climb the tech tree like you would in other RTS games.

True. Its still pretty difficult for people like myself who can't micro for shit.

It's very hard to keep track of everything that's happening. I really wish there were some smaller maps for learning purposes, so I don't have to keep track of five simultaneous engagements, as well as the management of unit production.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    dispatch.o wrote:
    Dashui wrote:
    dispatch.o wrote:
    Dashui wrote:
    dispatch.o wrote:

What ISP?

If you're plugging your network cable directly into the wall then someone somewhere is running a network. This network is what you connect to, a server assigns you an IP. This server probably also has a firewall set up, and has something restricted that you need available to connect to relic online.

Edit: Im also talking quite literally ethernet cable from computer to wall socket designed for ethernet cables. If it's going into a modem of some kind which you have direct control of, the above stuff doesn't apply.

It goes straight into the wall from the computer. I sent an e-mail to one of the network admins. Hopefully he can do something.

Dashui on
  • Options
    AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    This game is so fucking awesome.

Perhaps I will join you all if I can ever pull myself out of the campaign.

Akinos on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I have yet to do a single mission in the campaign. I spend my time trying to organize games of PA folk.

While on that topic until the can't connect stuff is fixed you might want to grab hamachi. Its a progam that lets us LAN so we don't have to deal with relic online. Was suggested to me by some DoW players and worked fairly well the other day.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    strategerystrategery Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    So I stopped doing MP to enjoy some of the SP missions. The cutscene showing the

[spoiler:582029109a]Capt. being killed[/spoiler:582029109a]

Was awesome and very well done. It kind of made the

[spoiler:582029109a]Hunt down and kill the fucker who did that in the Tiger Ace[/spoiler:582029109a]

Mission that much more enjoyable. Revenge is always fun.

I'm up to the mission where

[spoiler:582029109a]You have to close the gap and stop the retreating armies from getting away[/spoiler:582029109a]

And I was going to do it but..

[spoiler:582029109a]It's bed time and I don't have the required HOUR to finish the mission[/spoiler:582029109a]

Maybe tomorrow.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Is there a demo out of this? My intrest is perked, but I really want to see how I fair in some single player or multiplayer missions before I spend the 50$.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Is there a demo out of this? My intrest is perked, but I really want to see how I fair in some single player or multiplayer missions before I spend the 50$.
    There is a singleplayer demo out. Can't remember where i got it tho.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Sonelan wrote:
    There is a singleplayer demo out. Can't remember where i got it tho.
    Awesome. I shall go poke around for it.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited September 2006

I must say, it's been a while since I felt a game I bought was worth the $50. No question about it with CoH for me. (Though I paid 39.99 at Fry's.. that was just luck, I'd have paid full plrice :P )

Akinos on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Damn it I want this game so hard

But I can't get it. At least until my desktop PC is fixed, or maybe even until Christmas. DDD:

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    can I get three players added to the list:

Mugginns
    Agle
    Angrylinuxgeek

We play wow together and are looking for fun decent coh players

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    This may seem like a strange question, but what's the manual like for Company of Heroes? Is it useful? Does it include detailed unit descriptions and stuff like that?

I have the choice of either ordering from Play Asia for US$40 or Zest for US$20. Unfortunately, the manual would be in Thai if I order from Zest. (Or I could pay US$65 to buy it locally here in Australia, but that would be crazy).

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Marlor wrote:
    This may seem like a strange question, but what's the manual like for Company of Heroes? Is it useful? Does it include detailed unit descriptions and stuff like that?

I have the choice of either ordering from Play Asia for US$40 or Zest for US$20. Unfortunately, the manual would be in Thai if I order from Zest. (Or I could pay US$65 to buy it locally here in Australia, but that would be crazy).

There really isn't anything in the manual that isn't covered in the tutorial.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    VarelseVarelse Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Have played a few games of this over Hamachi (dorm network probably wouldn't cooperate with relicnet) and I must say it's the most fun I've ever had in an RTS. I've had to totally readjust my RTS playing style because this game finally does things right.

After playing Allied Infantry and Airborne companies pretty extensively, I'm pretty sure Airborne is my favorite. The only reason I would ever play as InfCo is for the howitzers, and that's a lategame thing. Paratroopers are freaking awesome, and you can access them before the InfCo's Rangers (which are underwhelming, considering their price and the shittiness of the Bazooka). Paratroopers with Recoilless = so many dead tanks. Haven't really played as ArmorCo, but the raid ability with a few jeeps/greyhounds looks really fun. In most games I never bother building a tank factory because Paratroopers combined with airdropped AT guns and maybe a greyhound or two (to help against snipers/MGs) can handle things pretty well themselves. Anything they can't handle can be strafed or bombed.

I haven't played much Axis, but the Blitzkrieg doctrine's 1pt ability that makes your troops chuck a ton of grenades is really effective. Aside from that, first tier Axis infantry are weenies. One MG burst and they're pinned, even if they're still out in the open. Stupid.

Varelse on
    cranksig5mu.png
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    One MG burst will pin allied infantry just as fast as axis infantry. In fact the MG42 is superior to the allied MG in almost every way. It suppresses just as fast, kills enemy units faster, and seems to have better accuracy.

When it comes to the age old Volks vs Riflemen argument there's too many factors to really decide who is better. Volks can kill Riflemen just as easily as Riflemen can kill Volks, it's all in who's using them. Volks at long range will decimate Riflemen every time, while at medium range it's a toss up, and at close range it's almost always Riflemen. Then you have to factor in cover, micro, grenades, panzerfausts, do Volks have MP40s, do Riflemen have BARs, etc ,etc.

One thing is for certain though. Volks absolutely shred infantry at close range if they have MP40s.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Varelse wrote:
    Have played a few games of this over Hamachi (dorm network probably wouldn't cooperate with relicnet) and I must say it's the most fun I've ever had in an RTS. I've had to totally readjust my RTS playing style because this game finally does things right.

After playing Allied Infantry and Airborne companies pretty extensively, I'm pretty sure Airborne is my favorite. The only reason I would ever play as InfCo is for the howitzers, and that's a lategame thing. Paratroopers are freaking awesome, and you can access them before the InfCo's Rangers (which are underwhelming, considering their price and the shittiness of the Bazooka). Paratroopers with Recoilless = so many dead tanks. Haven't really played as ArmorCo, but the raid ability with a few jeeps/greyhounds looks really fun. In most games I never bother building a tank factory because Paratroopers combined with airdropped AT guns and maybe a greyhound or two (to help against snipers/MGs) can handle things pretty well themselves. Anything they can't handle can be strafed or bombed.

I haven't played much Axis, but the Blitzkrieg doctrine's 1pt ability that makes your troops chuck a ton of grenades is really effective. Aside from that, first tier Axis infantry are weenies. One MG burst and they're pinned, even if they're still out in the open. Stupid.
    So you know never using tanks will only really work against shitty players. A couple flakpanzers can ruin your paratroopers shit in a hurry and an semiskilled player will move their tanks when they start seeing the planes flying towards them on the minimap.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    theassjanitortheassjanitor Registered User new member
    edited September 2006
    Can i get added to the list?

Names TheAssJanitor

theassjanitor on
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Can i get added to the list?

Names TheAssJanitor

Sure.

If you change your name to something not retarded.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Anyone up for a game. I'll even play with you brits over hamachi.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Sonelan wrote:
    Anyone up for a game. I'll even play with you brits over hamachi.

At work. Maybe later.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
This discussion has been closed.