Options

Company of Heroes [GAME ON SOLDIER!]

• Options
    DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I dont care. The beta forums are open now anways so you could probably find more info out there than in my post. as far as I am concerned, its all open now.

I didn't intend my post to be a "Omgs shut up it's not open yet nub" type of post. I was just informing people who are still without the beta that....they will continue to be without the beta until tomorrow. 8-)

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Suds wrote: »
    Damn I would have liked to have seen that.

I played Stormwatcher on Angoville last night, it was a fun game. We're having our rematch tonight, but switching teams.

You beat the crap out of me.
    I hate playing axis :S

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hahahah man, that post rant about the British and the OP cracked me up. It's partly true but instead of finding gripes with it, I enjoy the fact that it's not so familiar and cookie cutter. It's not a rehash of vanilla COH, and I'm damn glad OP isn't, or there wouldn't be a point in playing it.

It will be quite interesting in how things play up when we can use Vanilla against OP shortly. They will more than likely have a lot more tweaking to do.

All in all, the Panzer Elite and the British BOTH rock, but the Brits will piss you off playing them until you really get the hang of them. You can't force a front line at all basically, you have to piecemeal it up inch by inch, or flat out plant your base in the middle of a map.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    2v2 with all of them is going to be epic.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So I was digging around the GameReplays forum recently and found a way to make the Wehrmacht actually speak German and not some badly-accented English. It doesn't sound like a big deal but to me it made the game a whole lot more realistic.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    So I was digging around the GameReplays forum recently and found a way to make the Wehrmacht actually speak German and not some badly-accented English. It doesn't sound like a big deal but to me it made the game a whole lot more realistic.

Is the mod compatible to online multiplayer? I wish to be directed to this mod, posthaste.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    He says it's a "way." I too assume it's a mod but you never know, maybe all the German files are hidden in the game :D

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    He says it's a "way." I too assume it's a mod but you never know, maybe all the German files are hidden in the game :D

I got it here. Basically you download the link in the 6th post down in that forum thread, which is WW2AxisSpeechGerman.sga. It's like 230 mb though. Make a backup of your WW2AxisSpeechEnglish.sga file and rename the German one to English. It should work just fine.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    What's the quality like? The voice acting in CoH proper is top-notch, although the Germans of course have that hilarious accent.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It actually just replaces all of the dialog with "Mien thirsten" which works in a really odd way.

I was going to post the PA strip with that joke in it, but the archives are retarded to search through. Is there an Achewood-esque search ability for the PA strips?

anable on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Surprisingly you don't really need to know German, because the important stuff still appears on the left as bulleted events. Just like the commands in BF1942.

And the voices are genuine.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    ZarcathZarcath Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm really liking the British gliders.

Zarcath on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Zarcath wrote: »
    I'm really liking the British gliders.

I liked them better when they were infantry squashing gliders of doom, but they're still cool.

I think the British need a Black Watch unit. A piper marching behind my tommies would be so goddamn awesome.

Fats on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    King Tiger is an excellent addition to the terror tree. I really like it.

Coupled with the changes to the v1 it makes the terror tree actually viable. Blitz has been nerfed and defensive remains almost the same. I like.

Still, in a 1v1 against british you have to tech to tanks so ridiculously fast. those churchills are so insanely overpowered for the amount they cost and the speed you get em.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I haven't been able to connect to the OF relic server, is it offline?

Zarcath on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Zarcath wrote: »
    I haven't been able to connect to the OF relic server, is it offline?

It is on and off a lot. Lots of stability issues.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I just wish they fixed the NAT thing. Can't even reliably get an automatch, and then when I got one it was lagging like hell. Other than that it's amazingly fun. I love both the PE and the Brits (though it's taking me a bit to get the hang of the brits, really need to see some replays or something to understand the when/how of defenses) and I'll surely get it (once it hits Steam, hopefully at the same time as retail).

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yes, and hopefully we can get some 2v2s and bigger games going.

Malkor on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited September 2007
    Durrrr, it's open beta now.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I thought that was over once they went open beta. Gamereplays has the beta forum merged with the regular one now.

Malkor on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    On the topic of British officers: they are not killed by one sniper shot. It takes about four or five. They also changed the Wermacht officer to be the same, and also to have the ability to follow troops. If you lose an officer to a sniper it's because he's retreating in a stupid way, he's already got low health, or you're a retard (or very distracted).

On the topic of OF in general: I like it but it makes a significant change that I don't like, and that is that infantry squads die en masse. It's not even so bad when it's PE vs Brits, but when I played a game of Americans vs PE, one of our mid game engagements resulted in over thirty casualties in four or five seconds. Literally. I had four squads of rifles and I lost one squad entirely, and the three others were reduced to 1 man. The Panzer Grens were similarly wiped. My grenades did him, but the PGs simply shot my rifles with assault weapons and murdered them.

For those who haven't heard, the Panzer Elite are very elite. Their vanilla three-man squads can easily, easily take out a squad of riflemen, with no losses, at any distance. They even put up a fight against BAR rifles without an upgrade. The Assault Grens will destroy a triple vetted, BAR rifle unit, and that's before they vet or get extra men or a lieutenant. It's pretty ridiculous. Rifle spam only works if it also involves grenade spam. Your rifles simply can't deal with the PGs without constant ammo consumption.

That said, if the American player can hold out, and that seems dubious as of yet, he can put out tanks pretty quickly, and the PG are in trouble against tanks unless they went Tank Hunter, I find, especially now that AT grenades are no longer the magic win button. Tank Hunter doctrine is the best one though, since it gives the best AT options and provides good stopgap solutions like Hetzers.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Every time I try to join a game it tells me it can't connect to all the players.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    tofu wrote: »
    Every time I try to join a game it tells me it can't connect to all the players.

The connectivity is still awful. I can rarely join a non 1v1 game. I still haven't managed to get a 2v2 with three of my friends going.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I didn't check for a LAN option, is there one? Will it work over Hamachi?

tofu on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Nope, no LAN functionality yet.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    one thing i don't really care for with British is with the base soldier's inability to lay sandbags or barbwire. Or that the engineers seem to fill all roles of support.

And trenches don't seem to do a good job of keeping men alive from their stated purpose. I agree that infantry die way faster in OF. One minute my guys are dug in and the next they're smoking craters.

I love the commando's explosives, though sometimes they act really assretarded trying to plant it under the cover of smoke. Then run out of the smoke and do some crazy-8s then run back in and plant the charge.

Zarcath on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    At least the strafing run/bombing run method of placement is no longer retardo land and actually makes sense.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

We have it, just not for the beta. It'll be in the final retail product, of course.

Also, Assault Grenadiers x 6 + Group Zeal vs Infantry Section x 6 + 3 LT + Rifle Grenades = Awesome.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Dareth Ram wrote: »

We have it, just not for the beta. It'll be in the final retail product, of course.

I'm sure but whenever I do get into a game I usually have to quit out to adjust my settings because it's running too slow. I wish you could just start a game all by yourself.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    tofu wrote: »
    Dareth Ram wrote: »

I'm sure but whenever I do get into a game I usually have to quit out to adjust my settings because it's running too slow. I wish you could just start a game all by yourself.
    This is what a multiplayer beta is for.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Since I can't seem to get into a game due to connection issues, could I possibly appeal to one of you fine fellows to post your opinions of the British counterbattery artillery fire? I'm deeply curious as to how effective it is. For that matter, how are the Royal commandoes?

Operative21 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Since I can't seem to get into a game due to connection issues, could I possibly appeal to one of you fine fellows to post your opinions of the British counterbattery artillery fire? I'm deeply curious as to how effective it is. For that matter, how are the Royal commandoes?

Counter Battery fire is pretty much useless.

the only axis units that it will actually hit are walking stukas and nebels. Basically what happens is as soon as they launch they will be hit by a standard arty barrage. useless and shit. noone ever uses stukas or nebels anyways (though nebels are a lot more powerful now so it might change)

that said, its not a waste cause the canadian artillery tree is pure sex.

commandoes are good. not game breaking, though the hq glider can make or break a game (its basically a forward hq dropped into the map, super awesome) though it doesnt really work well with the rest of the non tech tree units for the british, who are very stationary minded.

overall Id still stick with axis, be it wehr or panzers. both are definetly strong and varied forces. the panzer units which can spawn in buildings is so ludicrously good. like, ludicrous.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The counter battery isn't very good against Wermacht, but against PE, who have Hummels and mortar halftracks, it can be invaluable.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The counter battery isn't very good against Wermacht, but against PE, who have Hummels and mortar halftracks, it can be invaluable.

True.

But the thing is, those are portable artillery, like the Priests. You fire and move, rendering the counter fire pointless. With stukas and nebels they are much much slower to fire and reload/move.

Regardless, as I said, despite that one talent which needs a bit of balance the rest of that tree is insanely good. Priests alone make it worth it (think Caliopes only good)

Not to say caliopes arent good, but when Im playing Brits I rape faces with the priests.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sounds cool. Thanks for the impressions guys. Here's hoping I can actually manage to get into a game sometime soon. :(

Operative21 on
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So far the PE and Brits are stacking up well against their vanilla counterparts. I haven't had much time with the British against the Wehr yet, but plenty with the PE and the US. Man, once the PE rolls out enough infantry it's gang rape time, and they handle riflemen just fine even early on.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The Panzer Elite strafing run can one shot Pershings.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »

True.

But the thing is, those are portable artillery, like the Priests. You fire and move, rendering the counter fire pointless. With stukas and nebels they are much much slower to fire and reload/move.

Regardless, as I said, despite that one talent which needs a bit of balance the rest of that tree is insanely good. Priests alone make it worth it (think Caliopes only good)

Not to say caliopes arent good, but when Im playing Brits I rape faces with the priests.

Just had a nice game against PE as the Brits. Nicely back and forth with good mixing forces. Then at one point I was basically down to 3 Lts and 1 (or 2) sapper squads. I called in a priest. With those forces (and an AT gun next to my base, which now was next to a high mun point) I was able to slowly but surely turn the tables around (This was after I lost both of the other trucks). Easily put, my Priests (which were 2 by the end of the game) must've killed way more tanks and vehicles than any other form of AT that I had. Not to mention the fact that by late game, any infantry capping any of my points would run the second they heard the barrages going out.

Well, at the end of the game my opponent admitted to not knowing the PE really well (well, it sometimes showed. But it's not like I've even played 5 games as brits, and he was good enough with tactics). Must admit that if he had known them a bit better he would've gotten me before the whole Priest thing.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So the beta won't let me warm up against computer opponents? Suck.

If anyone wants to team up with me against computer opponents, my account name is Hoz.

Hoz on
This discussion has been closed.