Options

Company of Heroes [GAME ON SOLDIER!]

1373839404143»

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wow, Suds and I played a 1v1 on angouleme, 500pt. I was allies. It was really fucking epic. I managed to win, even after fucking up a bit, and Suds played really well.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really want to play you guys- just for once, dammit

2 on 2? Or something? I think PA calls for an EPIC MATCH

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    maybe we need a new thread? this one is like a year old.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So? You're like a year old!

That's right, I said it.

I saved the replay of Stormwatcher and my match. I started out strong but made some stupid mistakes. I should have skipped going for StuHs entirely, and when I did build the armory, I built a Puma instead of a Stuh by accident.

Then, he had a bombing run which missed my Flak Panzers completely and ended up killing his own guys, but my Flak Panzers took the plane down - into my Panzer Command. Doh!

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »
    I really want to play you guys- just for once, dammit

2 on 2? Or something? I think PA calls for an EPIC MATCH

We're gonna play 2v2, just talk to us on STEAM whenever we're online. Steam is really good for that kind of thing

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Suds wrote: »

That's right, I said it.

I saved the replay of Stormwatcher and my match. I started out strong but made some stupid mistakes. I should have skipped going for StuHs entirely, and when I did build the armory, I built a Puma instead of a Stuh by accident.

Then, he had a bombing run which missed my Flak Panzers completely and ended up killing his own guys, but my Flak Panzers took the plane down - into my Panzer Command. Doh!

that was really funny, ehehehe, the freaking P-47 itself was a lot more useful than the bombs it carried.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

That's right, I said it.

sounds awesome. can i get a copy of said replay? sounds cool. rapidshare or whatever, maybe post it on the grorg forums.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Anyone want to beta game on right nau?

Just as a note, I'm a pretty middle-of-the-road player.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »

That's right, I said it.

sounds awesome. can i get a copy of said replay? sounds cool. rapidshare or whatever, maybe post it on the grorg forums.

I could mail it to you.
    PM me your address :)

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm pretty hesitant in playing the beta because it doesn't allow me to practice against friggin AI! The first time I tried it, I spent most of my time reading the tooltips on the units than any actual strategizing. Maybe I'll just wait for the inevitable demo which will of course contain one skirmish map.

I'm always up for a vanilla game though. If anybody wants to set up a game, just send a message my way on Steam so we can get together and blow up some stuff.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

That's right, I said it.

I could mail it to you.
    PM me your address :)

http://www.alabasterslim.com/Files/CoH/AlabasterSlim_vs_Stormwatcher.zip

Want our first game too? When I was Allies and he was Axis?

Edit2: They're both in the same zip.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Oh, crap, I played really badly that time.

I'm a sucky player, but I know next to nothing about playing axis.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Axis strategy=buying veterancy and grenadiers.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    hey, why don't some of you guys who really know how to play CoH make some comments about this last game Suds and I played?

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    hey, why don't some of you guys who really know how to play CoH make some comments about this last game Suds and I played?

I'm going to download now, watch it later, and give an analysis.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Stormwatcher (Airborne) ==vs== AlabasterSlim (Defensive)

ANGOVILLE - Victory Points 500

Angoville.JPG

Storm starts in position 1, Slim in position 2.

Match Length : Around 50 minutes.

Winner : Stormwatcher

1:20 - Storm - No early Rifles. goes for a 3 engy start and builds the barracks late. Lets Slim get a bit of map control.

2:15 - Storm - Goes for oil right away. High fuel on the left and the adjacent base ones. Main forces go down left side of the map.

2:30 - Slim - Gets an MG crew in the forward building right outside Storms base. This is a great move, as that MG nest pretty much owns the whole game. Gets a bike up there too for more support.

relic1lf7.jpg

3:30 - Storm - Late retreating a bunch of squads from around that MG crew. Loses an engineer squad and a shitton of men. Pinned units = retreat immediately. Left em to die.

3:40 - Storm - Gets a cap on the left high fuel point. Good move as it will allow quicker teching and early BARS, which Storm gets.

5:14 - Slim - Rushes the enemy base with a bike. Gets killed pretty hilariously. Rather pointless, gets no kills.

5:16 - Slim - Volks squad attacking the capped fuel point is a huge waste of time. It is out of supply and you should be securing more of the map. Rifle squad comes to attack and you use a panzerfaust on them instead of the OP. Gets some kills but a huge waste of munitions.

8:00 - Slim - Gets a sniper out. Good move. It racks up incredible kills and stops the construction of some key buildings. Also, forces Storm to stay back until he gets more units.

relic2bz5.jpg

8:26 - Storm - Building an MG nest next to the capped fuel seems a waste. Though with an excess of fuel it isnt costly in resources it is badly positioned.

10:19 - Storm - Retreats 2 full rifle squads with BARS from one Sniper after it kills one guy. bum rush him he is in stealth would have got a kill/forced a retreat.

11:15 - Storm - Leaves an unfinished MG nest on the left next to the other one for the entire game from this point on. Wasted resources you could have deleted it got back 200 ish MP and some fuel.

12:12 - Slim - Good use of the mortar crew on the left to take out the MG bunkers. Also gets an engy squad with flamers.

13:31 - Slim - Makes that MG nest in the forward building on the right into a Forward HQ. Proves useful and pretty much seals off the right side of the map for a long period.

14:05 - Slim - Loses the sniper to a wandering Jeep. Should have retreated it the moment the jeep came into view.

19:03 - Storm - Gets an armored car down with ridiculous rifle use. No stickys, just pounding the side of this thing for like a minute with BARS. Slim should have backed it up with infantry, and Storm should have retreated in hindsight, lost a lost of men and one squad.

relic3br5.jpg

20:01 - Slim - STUG. STUG DEPLOYED.

22:11 - Storm - Good use of airborne with recoilless rifles on the Stug. Slim should have backed it up with infantry, you spent a lot of resources reinforcing the squad though. 62 per man drained you. Stug chewed through that unit.

23:15 - Slim - Gets a 2nd Stug out there. Kills the first one with it. Good job.

relic4zx1.jpg

23:39 - Storm - Uses demo pack on the forward HQ. Does a fuckton of damage, barely scratched the MG crew inside. Amazingly. Still, renders using the FHQ risky as it is so badly damaged. Half the goddam side of the building was blown off.

relic5hc6.jpg

24:05 - Slim - Stug rushing enemy bases never works. Ends up dead for little success.

25:23 - Slim - But this is made irrelevant by the completion of the Panzer command pretty early on. Storm has so little AT and no tech.

26:38 - Slim - Begins construction of (hopefully) a Medic bunker in a good spot. Doesnt finish. Storm also wanders right past it and ignores.

27:09 - Slim - OSTWIND!;-)

29:10 - Storm - Rifleman rushing an Ostwind = Painful agonising death. Gets one sticky on the thing, does 0 damage.

relic6tm4.jpg

31:45 - Storm - Sends an armored car to die against the Ostwind, which is now backed up by a second Ostwind. They chew through it like paper.

32:27 - Storm - Bombing run against the Ostwinds unsuccessful, kills your own men in the house.D:

32:28 - Slim - Good work shooting down the Plane with your untouched Ostwinds.

32:29 - Slim - Oh shi-

relic7oq8.jpg

32:30 - Slim - D:

relic8dp5.jpg

32:31 - Storm - Your bomber hits the enemy base, killing 2 buildings including the Panzer Command, and an assload of units. Does probably more damage then a v1.8-)

34:03 - Storm - SHERMAN! Kills the Ostwinds for no damage. Slim should have retreated them pronto, they do 0 damage to tanks.

36:33 - Slim - Goliath. Not really effective lol. Moment it is produced sherman hits it taking it and the bunker out in one shot.:lol:

relic9cj0.jpg

38:44 - Slim - Gets a Panzer IV out, gets killed by the Shermans. Does decent damage actually, killing one and doing some infantry work.

41:30 - Slim - Gets a Panther out. Costly but proves to be a killer move. Needs infantry support though, those recoilless rifles on the airborne really tear it up. But its so goddam strong it kills a lot. Kills shermans and a halftrack. And a car.

45:07 - Slim - Stug + Panther combo proves effective. :PKills another Sherman on the right side. Victory Points are ticking down though.

47:47 - Storm - Kills the Panther and the Stug. Slim is dead in the water. Has nothing else. Proves decisive.

relic10jh4.jpg

49:00 - Storm - Rolls in his base. Ends it.

Good game overall. Some key points for both sides though:

Stormwatcher:

Good:
    -Going airborne meant no Pershing and no real armor support.
    -Use of shermans in the late game nullified this.
    -Good map control. Fuel cap on the left proved critical to the win. Ended up with hundreds of it and cranked out those shermans.

Bad:
    -No early AT. Those Ostwinds really destroyed you midgame. BARS were good but no stickys and even though you had grenades, no real use for em.
    -Didnt retreat infantry enough. Lost about half your army over the whole game by just leaving em to the wolves and gettin em killed. Allies requires a 'rinse and repeat' approach to keep em alive for veterancy.

AlabasterSlim:

Good:
    -Excellent map control. Kept switching sides, good use of volks early and then grenadier spam later was great.
    -Teching much faster than your opponent proved key. Bad luck with the plane crashing into your base cost you the match really. You would have got some Panzer IVs out and just rolled over him. Unfortunate.
    -FHQ proved good. that MG team was ludicrous. Sniper also useful. Not enough infantry cause you used em well.

Bad:
    -No Kampkraft centre. This was crucial I think. A vet 1 or 2 Panther can take about 4-5 Shermans alone if used well. you needed that extra veterancy on your vehicles most. Infantry can also do with it. Lost a lot of grenadiers to reckless assaults.
    -Ostwinds vs a Sherman. Purleeze. First one died and did 0 damage to Sherman. Should have legged it with your other. this was silly mistake just leaving it to die.
    -Not enough infantry. Grens can chew up Airborne and Storm used them so well with the recoilless rifles. Should have taken them out first.
    -Going Defensive doctrine is basically making a decision to forego Tigers and use an 88. you should have got at least one 88 up if you were going to sacrifice any kind of tiger.

Conclusions:

The P47 crashing into Slims base won the game. Plain and simple. Set him back about 5 minutes on tech (he lost his Panzer Command) and had no Panzer IV support for the Ostwinds. A shame really, if that hadnt have happened I think Slim would have won. He was basivally on Panthers and Storm was still tier 1.

Unlucky mate. Great game though, but lot to improve for both sides. Still, refreshing to see no tigers and no pershings for once. Good work from both on that.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I love the suicide P47. I might photoshop that into a sig when I get home.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Thanks for the tips. The time I sent that armored car after the ostwinds I was actually trying to learn how effective it would have been. It wasn't. At all.

I think that Suds could have won the game by the time he had the 2 ostwinds. I nothing to counter him, EVEN after that P47 killed his tank depot.

Most of the times my infantry got killed it was because I was looking elsewhere.

To Suds defense, he was trying to use defensive for the first time, so it was almost as he had not specialization at all. I went the comfortable route and chose my beloved Airborne.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    That god-damn P47. When I moused back to my base was I ever surprised!

The early puma was a flat-out mistake. I'd meant to build a Stug instead, but clicked the wrong button. This is only my second time playing Axis so I didn't realize.

Given how quickly I got to the Panzer command after that, I should have forgone that Sturm Armory completely and spent the resources on a Kampkraft Centre to get veterancy.

And yeah, I was just about to roll out my first Panzer IV when that plane crashed.

I don't think I'll be going Defensive Doctrine again.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That was an awesome battle report. Kudos to you fellas for enacting it and to The_Scarab for transcribing it :P

I don't have the beta, but even on regular CoH I rarely play competetively. Sadly, it's one of those games that I adore in principle but suck at so badly in practise. I comp-stomp with a friend sometimes, but somehow I doubt that counts...!

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I think Stormwatcher and I proved that you don't have to be good to have fun at the game and play MP.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I pretty much exclusively play Axis which is why there were more tips for suds than storm.

regardless, some good stuff in that game. that p47 kamikaze was like a shot out of fuckin nowhere. coupled with the bombs that actually landed it was like this trail of fire and destruction halfway across the map ending in a huge explosion at the base. must have killed like 2 rifle squads in the house, then volks and grens in the base + buildings + a bunker. ludicrous turnaround.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I pretty much exclusively play Axis which is why there were more tips for suds than storm.

regardless, some good stuff in that game. that p47 kamikaze was like a shot out of fuckin nowhere. coupled with the bombs that actually landed it was like this trail of fire and destruction halfway across the map ending in a huge explosion at the base. must have killed like 2 rifle squads in the house, then volks and grens in the base + buildings + a bunker. ludicrous turnaround.

That shot was one in a million kid, now let's blow this thing and go home. :P

Hilarious, but yeah, that kind of stuff can happen. Only takes one major catastrophe to turn a game from victory to tragedy. Slim would have won it otherwise.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Masume wrote: »

Hilarious, but yeah, that kind of stuff can happen. Only takes one major catastrophe to turn a game from victory to tragedy. Slim would have won it otherwise.

Yeah, I know, I suck. :(
    But I did do some things right.

Right?

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Right?

add me on relic online. i gotta play some games with some people. TheScarab

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Right?

add me on relic online. i gotta play some games with some people. TheScarab

Well, you can also call me for a game whenever I'm online on Steam.
    which is, like, all the time.

That's the best way to play CoH online.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Catching me on Steam is also a good way to do it.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Opposing Fronts has gone gold

Time for a new CoH/OF thread?

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Opposing Fronts has gone gold

Time for a new CoH/OF thread?

Yeah. The OP of the Opposing Fronts thread can do it or we can start a new thread.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    NEW THREAD

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    yes

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well make a new thread. Lock this one. But before we go here are some flavour screenies I took from my last 4v4 on R13.

Im axis but I view the replay from Allied pov.

relic1dl4.jpg

relic2kp4.jpg

relic3zw3.jpg

relic4ik8.jpg

relic5he7.jpg

Axis won. They sieged us with caliopes not coming into our base. It was like cruel punishment but then we rolled out the Tigers and started spamming manpower blitz and kept cranking em out. Hard fought battle. those fucking caliopes.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ugh, I'm so sick of Tiger/Pershing spam.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    cant really spam either, seeing as you only get 2 of each max, and with OP you get 1 of each max.

point is, using em saved the game. tigers rock, plus as you can see, we had no fucking buildings.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited September 2007
    So Opposing Fronts is out.

Game On?

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    in fact somebody make a new thread for Opposing Fronts' release

Captain K on