As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why are people down on hunting?

• Options
    MosatiMosati Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Horrible movie. Although, it brings to mind something.

Has anyone is this thread tried hunting with a muzzle loader? I've always wanted to participate in the black powder season...

Mosati on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    @the improved hunting fairness people

If hunting is supposed to be about fairness, how come the animal never wins?

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »

well of course it wins. often they get away and can be hunted later!

actually some deer do win and end up killing humans but that's fairly rare

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hunting for me = Spending time with father, deer/wild turkey tastes good. I have an uncle that goes duck hunting, he's asked me to go with but I never have. Anyone here duck hunt?

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Hunting for me = Spending time with father, deer/wild turkey tastes good. I have an uncle that goes duck hunting, he's asked me to go with but I never have. Anyone here duck hunt?

I stopped because i couldn't take it when that fucking dog laughed at me.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

The animals get away rather often.

Bama on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bama wrote: »

I hope that was sarcasm. There is no fairness in hunting, nor should there be. If there were fairness you would be righting "the human gets away rather often"

Dman on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The human does get away rather often.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You must have come from the thread where we were discussing killing civilians, those buggers do get away rather often.

Dman on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dman wrote: »

I hope that was sarcasm. There is no fairness in hunting, nor should there be. If there were fairness you would be righting "the human gets away rather often"

I had no idea that humans often didn't escape hunting with their lives. (Asymmetrical consequences does not inherently indicate unfairness).

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    PantsB wrote: »
    Dman wrote: »

I had no idea that humans often didn't escape hunting with their lives. (Asymmetrical consequences does not inherently indicate unfairness).

That's true, but then how would you describe fairness with regard to hunting? It's not like were talking about fairness between two hunters, were talking about fairness between hunter and prey.

Dman on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mosati wrote: »
    Horrible movie. Although, it brings to mind something.

Has anyone is this thread tried hunting with a muzzle loader? I've always wanted to participate in the black powder season...

This is how my dad hunted. He used a flintlock.

His reasoning was that if you can't kill an animal with one shot, you need to go back to the range, and there's no reason to bring back more than one animal per trip.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ah, well.

I'm a vegan who's not terribly opposed to hunting and not terribly in favor of it, either. I think that people who hunt for food are doing themselves and anyone they're providing for a favor by removing dependency on industrial farming. I'm vegan largely because of my disgust with industrialized food production and how it relates to animal products, and if someone is hunting to subvert that system, (or subverting it as a byproduct of their hunting, the intention isn't necessary) more power to them.

Predictably, I think that canned hunts are pretty disgusting, and most hunting as "pest removal" is a pretty thin veil to hide behind.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    What is fair about a Lion vs. a Gazelle?

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    What is fair about a Lion vs. a Gazelle?
    Aren't gazelle faster and taller?

Bama on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    defrag wrote: »
    I'm a vegan who's not terribly opposed to hunting and not terribly in favor of it, either. I think that people who hunt for food are doing themselves and anyone they're providing for a favor by removing dependency on industrial farming. I'm vegan largely because of my disgust with industrialized food production and how it relates to animal products, and if someone is hunting to subvert that system, (or subverting it as a byproduct of their hunting, the intention isn't necessary) more power to them.

Interesting. So if I told you that I grew up on a omnivorous diet with a significant contribution from rabbits and chickens my family raised in our backyard, and a lesser contribution from deer hunted from the wild, you wouldn't be quite as disgusted by that than if I'd grown up on supermarket meat?
    defrag wrote: »
    Predictably, I think that canned hunts are pretty disgusting, and most hunting as "pest removal" is a pretty thin veil to hide behind.

Well, a lot of "pest removal" is meant to protect wildlife from encroaching on the industrialized farming that you called out in the first paragraph of your post, so that's a consistent position. (Although, technically, it's the farming that's encroaching on the wildlife... they were there first.)

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Pest control for hunting gophers or rabbits is a good description. "pest control" is often phrased as population control, because we eliminated predators, populations of deer can get out of control and if we don't hunt them to thin them out often disease takes hold and a lot more of them die.

It's like allowing clear cutting of a swath of forest so that a future forest fire will not be as destructive. If man didn't go around putting out forest fires it wouldn't even be necessary. Since we disrupted the natural balance, we have to engage in behavior some might find objectionable (clearcutting or population control hunting) to try and maintain some balance.

Dman on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    What's so disgusting about canned hunts?

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    Of course, this leads to another moral conundrum - what about killing something because it tastes good? Meat isn't strictly necessary for nutrition; we eat meat for the pleasure of it. So is there really that much of a difference between killing for pleasure and killing for fun?

Morality is a spectrum. If we take as a given that killing an animal is a moral evil (which isn't necessarily a given, but we can assume it is), then its evilness is dependent on the net good that arises from it. Providing sustenance is good. Even if there are other ways to go about doing it, the act itself is good. It's sustaining life. Similarly, using a pelt to create clothing is a good, even though clothes can be made from non-animal sources.

Given that, killing an animal in order to turn it into things you need for survival is less evil than killing it because it's fun. Basically, you're making the death useful in a non-trivial way. It may still be evil in an absolute sense, but I contend that it would be less evil than killing the animal so you can mount its head on your wall.

One might take the above to mean that killing a man and eating him would be more moral than killing him and letting him rot. To a point, I suppose that would be the case, and I'd be fine with that conclusion. Still, it's possible to eat things that are virtually identical in taste and texture to human, and so I think the moral good would be pretty minute, unless there were no other animal food sources around. You can't really find non-animal food sources that taste and feel just like meat. No, fuck you, Bocaburgers don't count. Regardless, I think most people would agree that killing a person is a whole lot worse than killing an animal, so quibbling about whether the act is really evil or really, really evil is a bit silly.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Of course, this leads to another moral conundrum - what about killing something because it tastes good? Meat isn't strictly necessary for nutrition; we eat meat for the pleasure of it. So is there really that much of a difference between killing for pleasure and killing for fun?

Morality is a spectrum. If we take as a given that killing an animal is a moral evil (which isn't necessarily a given, but we can assume it is), then its evilness is dependent on the net good that arises from it. Providing sustenance is good. Even if there are other ways to go about doing it, the act itself is good. It's sustaining life. Similarly, using a pelt to create clothing is a good, even though clothes can be made from non-animal sources.
    Given that the animal will be used by the ecosystem even if you leave its corpse there as carrion, though, why is it more good using it to satisfy human purposes?

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "Pest control" hunting is also used to control animal populations that are not native to a given area and were introduced by our ancestors. Feral hogs come to mind.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The deer could have grown up to cure cancer.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't oppose hunting for food or culling an animal because of overpopulation. Trophy hunting I find creepy. Hunting cougars with hounds is not fair to the cougar or the hounds. ("HAI DOGS, you run on ahead and bark at the cougar and chase him up a tree. OH by the way, he'll gut you with one swipe if he decides to stand his ground, LOL!")

Some hunters will claim they hunt because of animal overpopulation--to make themselves look like noble Stewards of Nature, I guess--and they are usually lying. The minute you mention reintroducing wolves, suddenly they're complaining, "They'll kill so many eeeeelk, we won't be able to haaaarvest as many!" Wah wah, a native predator will be controlling the elk population. Boohoo.

LadyM on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oboro wrote: »

Given that the animal will be used by the ecosystem even if you leave its corpse there as carrion, though, why is it more good using it to satisfy human purposes?

In an individual case, I agree that there is no difference.

However, history has proven that the notion that it's okay to hunt something and then simply leave the carcass promotes waste and abuse. Bison were hunted to extinction because the only thing hunters were interested in were the tongues. Knowing the end result of uncontrolled hunting, that sort of thing is illegal, while not necessarily morally objectionable.

When I hunt gophers on my Uncle's farm, I do not recover the carcasses. However, there is no danger of over hunting seeing as humans have removed many of the traditional predators of gophers and there is a serious overpopulation of them.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Is there some correlation between recovering the carcasses and overhunting? Your post reads like a non-sequitur to me. o_O

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

If you want to get the full range of necessary proteins, then meat is necessary for nutrition. While it is now possible to get all of your proteins by eating different types of plants, you have to make sure you eat the full range every day, in order to get all of the different types you need.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008

My question was largely rhetorical.

I think that the disdain some people have against sport hunting has less to do with the consequences of the action, and more to do with assumptions they make about the mental state of the hunter. If you're a meat eater, you might dislike killing, you just don't dislike it enough for that dislike to override your love of the taste of meat. If you're a sport hunter, you are taking pleasure in the actual act of killing.

We're more comfortable with people who are merely indifferent to death than people who take pleasure in it.

Yet if you're sport hunter who also happens to use the meat and leather after the kill, then it's possible that you take pleasure in the act of killing as well as the taste of venison. Focusing, mentally, on the use of the meat afterwards allows us to turn a blind spot to the killing act itself.

Feral on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    If you want to get the full range of necessary proteins, then meat is necessary for nutrition.

it is now possible to get all of your proteins by eating different types of plants

so which one is it?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

If you want to get the full range of necessary proteins, then meat is necessary for nutrition. While it is now possible to get all of your proteins by eating different types of plants, you have to make sure you eat the full range every day, in order to get all of the different types you need.

I think his point was that us meat eaters don't eat the minimum required for nutrition. We eat lots, because its tasty.

Edit: I was beat'd by feral himself so yeah..don't read this post.

Dman on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is there some correlation between recovering the carcasses and overhunting? Your post reads like a non-sequitur to me. o_O

It's easier to take multiple prey if you don't have to worry about transporting or using the carcass, or only a small portion of the carcass. If you planned on using every part of a bison, one would be a lot of work to recover and butcher. But if all you want is the tongue, you can kill tens or hundreds and it doesn't take much work to recover and/or transport the tongue.

I mean, if you could still only take one deer but you decided to leave the carcass behind, that's fine, but how would that be enforced? How would you prove someone shot more than one deer in the middle of the forest?

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

A single whey protein shake will shore up any gaps in your amino acid intake from a vegetarian diet.

Feral on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »

It's easier to take multiple prey if you don't have to worry about transporting or using the carcass, or only a small portion of the carcass. If you planned on using every part of a bison, one would be a lot of work to recover and butcher. But if all you want is the tongue, you can kill tens or hundreds and it doesn't take much work to recover and/or transport the tongue.

I mean, if you could still only take one deer but you decided to leave the carcass behind, that's fine, but how would that be enforced? How would you prove someone shot more than one deer in the middle of the forest?
    Okay, second paragraph does it for me. Yeah, the enforcement would rely on self-reporting and be very open to abuse. I'll honor that. :)

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    taerictaeric Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Isn't the OP more inline with the current comics? I would say the main reason most nerds (or similar) are down on hunting is it was not something we did. Just as we are down on the "jocks" we are down on "hunters." That is, most people are down on the extreme stereotype embodying hunter. Not so much on folks that hunt. Right?

taeric on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    If you want to get the full range of necessary proteins, then meat is necessary for nutrition.

it is now possible to get all of your proteins by eating different types of plants

so which one is it?

You don't deal well with nuance, do you? Ok, I'll rephrase it.

Meat is necessary if you want to get all your necessary proteins without having to keep track of the different types of food you eat, and the types of proteins they contain.

edit:: I'll also note that the ability to do so is a fairly recent development, what with us identifying the proteins necessary for human life, which ones aren't produced by the body, and what foods contain them. Hunting for food, however, has a long history, even back when it WAS necessary for survival.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    taeric wrote: »
    I would say the main reason most nerds (or similar) are down on anything is it was not something we did.

But as to your point, I think you're on to something.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The deer could have grown up to cure cancer.

Old proverb:
    Every day a lion has to be able to outrun the slowest deer, or it goes hungry.
    Every day a deer has to be able to outrun the fastest lion, or it dies.

Although, really a deer just has to be able to outrun one of his friends.

I suppose hunting could push deer onto a novel evolutionary path, like camouflage.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Meat is necessary if you want to get all your necessary proteins without having to keep track of the different types of food you eat, and the types of proteins they contain.

Look, kid, there are lots of places that have complete protein, so you don't have to "keep track of the different types of food you eat" any more than keeping track of whether you ate meat that day. Did I have any buckwheat pancakes? Did I drink any wheatgrass? Soy which is in fucking everything, etc. Or, like, anything dairy. (OT)

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

so which one is it?

You don't deal well with nuance, do you? Ok, I'll rephrase it.

edit:: I'll also note that the ability to do so is a fairly recent development, what with us identifying the proteins necessary for human life, which ones aren't produced by the body, and what foods contain them. Hunting for food, however, has a long history, even back when it WAS necessary for survival.

None of which really has any bearing on the ethics of eating meat.

Also, like I said, one whey protein shake will fill any gaps in your amino acid intake. So not only is your post irrelevant, it is also wrong.

Feral on

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What's so disgusting about canned hunts?

It's kind of like the special olympics of hunting, and takes out a huge degree of the "learn to appreciate nature" aspect which is traditionally part of hunting for many. It's like shooting your dog and calling yourself a mighty hunter.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Octoparrot wrote: »

Look, kid, there are lots of places that have complete protein, so you don't have to "keep track of the different types of food you eat" any more than keeping track of whether you ate meat that day. Did I have any buckwheat pancakes? Did I drink any wheatgrass? Soy which is in fucking everything, etc. Or, like, anything dairy. (OT)

Ok? You still have to know what those are, and have some at every meal. My only point was that for the vast majority of people, eating meat is the simplest and best solution.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif