As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Question About SE++ Chat Threads

• SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    Branduil wrote:
    I like how people who have no idea what they're talking about keep commenting on the chat thread. It's like they never actually read it, they just got info from secondhand sources.

I've read it once or twice, but you're right, I'm no avid follower. Which was kind of my point.

As Athenor is discovering, SE++ serves your chat needs way better than a solitary thread that gets locked every 100 posts ever could. SE++ and G&T aren't seperate forums, they are both parts of the Penny Arcade forums designed to serve specific needs. That's why I never bothered with keeping up with the chat thread to begin with. I mean, why bother trying to suck protein out of the coffee table when there's a steak right there?
    AlphaTwo wrote:
    The amount of people coming out of the woodworks in the DS thread saying that it has been helpful to them in both regarding the system and learning the ropes of how G&T works totally shoots down the "die-hards" theory.

But then again, it's canned either way. I guess I should look forward to checking 20 threads about the DS instead.

But they are only just coming out of the woodwork now? Which indicates that they were just parasitic news consumers who could've found their information through google. This is a forum. It's supposed to cater to people who want to discuss things, not people who want to passively consume information.

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    I opposed them when they were proposed and have advocated their removal dozens of times.

Me too.

I thought they were a good idea. Like communism.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • BranduilBranduil Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    I opposed them when they were proposed and have advocated their removal dozens of times.

Me too.

Hey, here's a shock. One of PA's worst former mods and the worst current mod agree on this! Color me surprised.

Branduil on
    mcc for admin

I blame Whippy
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Oh, don't get me wrong.. SE++ is quite inane at times, and sometimes my eyes bulge out at the digressions that happen in the topics...

But that doesn't mean I can't find merit. I am enjoying myself, and the only reason I'm not posting in G&T at the moment is.. well, I don't have a reason to ATM. I had already stopped going into the megathreads because the fanboyishness and such were overwhelming (and I don't have money for new DS games or a 360), so I was starting to become one of those guys who only posted in the chat thread, on reflection.

Now, I'm maintaining discussions in 3 different forums. It's a bit mroe to juggle, but it's going alright.

For some reason, however, SE++ seems to have an obsession with my habit of posting smilies to convey the context of what I post. It's... weird. =)

Edit: Branduil, hasn't there been enough personal attacks over the last few days? No, I'm being serious. A lot of the shitstorm that arose came in the form of personal attacks, not a discussion of the issues at hand. Now, I still don't like how this whole thing was handled.. not in the least. But so far, this thread's been pretty good about conveying our desires versus the mods. Personal attacks will just serve to get it locked faster.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    how is CT a bad mod

he does the job right

he's just a dick sometimes

Garlic Bread on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    As Athenor is discovering, SE++ serves your chat needs way better than a solitary thread that gets locked every 100 posts ever could. SE++ and G&T aren't seperate forums, they are both parts of the Penny Arcade forums designed to serve specific needs. That's why I never bothered with keeping up with the chat thread to begin with. I mean, why bother trying to suck protein out of the coffee table when there's a steak right there?
    Considering that the chat thread alone was more active than the entirety of SE++, I find this comment rather strange.

SE++ is not a substitute for the chat thread. I'm not saying that it's supposed to be, or that it has no place, but it fills a different void.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
    edited September 2006
    Considering that the chat thread alone was more active than the entirety of SE++, I find this comment rather strange.

Haha! Whut?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2006

Haha! Whut?
    Almost every night the chat thread moved faster than all of SE++.

deadonthestreet on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Haha! Whut?
    You know, if I were trying to argue that G&T should have someplace for off-topic chatter, I would avoid bringing up the fact that G&T's place for off-topic chatter was more active than the off-topic chatter subforum.

I guess that's just me, though.

Thanatos on
    edited September 2006
    Branduil wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    Me too.
    Hey, here's a shock. One of PA's worst former mods and the worst current mod agree on this! Color me surprised.
    I actually respect this. At least they're being honest and consistent here.

Personally, I can't recall ever being baffled at any particular actions that a mod has taken when it comes to enforcing the rules. Some of the recent rule changes are a different case, but that's sort of a different subject.

Sixfortyfive on
    edited September 2006

Haha! Whut?

Yeah, so hence being a total ball-ache to mod.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Y'know, exactly. If the G&T people don't like the culture of SE++, well, there are enough of you to change that culture, simply by posting there.

deadonthestreet on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Y'know, exactly. If the G&T people don't like the culture of SE++, well, there are enough of you to change that culture, simply by posting there.

ACK!

My plan has been ousted!

*jumps into a shadow*

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    "If the G&T people don't like the culture of SE++, well, there are enough of you to change that culture, simply by posting there."

this is what I said last night

post there

don't just go "LOL YOU GUYS ARE RETARDS" (branduil)

just enjoy yourself and hey, things will start changing

Garlic Bread on
    edited September 2006

Yes, or they may even learn to appreciate that culture.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2006

Haha! Whut?

A few people have said this. Sorry to break it to you guys, but it didn't.

Tube on
    edited September 2006
    Branduil wrote:

Man, it's like there's a special on prissy bitches.

Tube on
  • The SphinxThe Sphinx Registered User regular
    edited September 2006

Haha! Whut?

It most certainly did.

The Sphinx on
    edited September 2006

That would be possible if the current culture wasn't supported and reinforced by the mods.

Also, I don't care if SE++ does their own thing, but that's not what I want. I don't want to chat for the sake of chat. I want to chat with the G&T regulars. Chatting is a means to an end for me, not a goal.

Branduil on
    mcc for admin

I blame Whippy
    edited September 2006
    I think the G&T chat thread was analogous to a sprinter, whereas SE++ is more like a marathon runner, from what I've seen.

G&T's chat thread, at times, could soar in post count and volume of discussions going on to insane levels. But it never had the sheer amount, and longevity of discussion, that I've seen looking at SE++.

Athenor on
    edited September 2006
    The Sphinx wrote:

Haha! Whut?

It most certainly did.

You go ahead and keep believing that then sweetiekins.

Tube on
    edited September 2006
    The Sphinx wrote:

Haha! Whut?

It most certainly did.

Counting posts is simple, you know. Rather tedious, but I had time on my hands.

The Sphinx on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    But they are only just coming out of the woodwork now? Which indicates that they were just parasitic news consumers who could've found their information through google. This is a forum. It's supposed to cater to people who want to discuss things, not people who want to passively consume information.

Hey wait, I thought elitism was a bad thing now?

For as long as I've been around, G&T has been an excellent source for deciding what games suck and which ones are must-haves. It offers far better "reviews" than anything else on the web, with or without the megathreads.

I would imagine that no small number of people have noticed this, and are quite content to lurk and learn. Branding them parasites is completely uncalled for.

xzzy on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    how is CT a bad mod

he does the job right

he's just a dick sometimes

some might say that the job of a mod includes being a role model in the community.

Even if CT does his moderating well, I cannot, in all honesty, agree that he's that great of a role model for forum behavior.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited September 2006
    The Sphinx wrote:
    Counting posts is simple, you know. Rather tedious, but I had time on my hands.

Well, I'm fairly sure you don't have access to the database, and I'm also pretty sure that you're not sad enough to sit and count individual posts being made in the chat thread and SE to compare the two, over a statistically significant period of time, so how about we just agree to disagree? Since I'm right and all?

Tube on
    edited September 2006
    what are you talking about

he's a great role model

he shows that you can still be an asshole and get power

Garlic Bread on
  • NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Show us the numbers.

Nartwak on
    edited September 2006
    The Sphinx wrote:

Haha! Whut?

It most certainly did.

actually, weren't people trying to use the "G&T Chat thread was seeing more activity that SE++" as evidence to damn the G&T Chat thread?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited September 2006
    Lanz wrote:
    actually, weren't people trying to use the "G&T Chat thread was seeing more activity that SE++" as evidence to damn the G&T Chat thread?
    Sphinx was trying to use it as evidence that the G&T chat thread should stay.

Thanatos on
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    what are you talking about

he's a great role model

he shows that you can still be an asshole and get power

and such a thing doesn't seem, I don't know, wrong on some level?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited September 2006
    Lanz wrote:
    The Sphinx wrote:

Haha! Whut?

It most certainly did.

Either way it's just after-the-fact justification for their own biases. Never let the facts get in the way of a good new forum order.

Branduil on
    mcc for admin

I blame Whippy
    edited September 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Lanz wrote:
    Sphinx was trying to use it as evidence that the G&T chat thread should stay.
    I was using it as evidence that a huge community is being displaced.

The Sphinx on
    edited September 2006
    Lanz wrote:

They're wrong as well then.

I'm going to lock this thread in a minute, and the other one. Everyone is just repeating themselves. You're not going to change everything by saying how much this sucks and how much you hate the shitty stupid mods, so just cowboy up and deal with it. If it doesn't work, it can always be changed back. A lot of people here need to grow up.

Tube on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A lot of people here need to grow up.

Too bad the people that need it most never will.

xzzy on
    edited September 2006
    Lanz wrote:

They're wrong as well then.

I'm going to lock this thread in a minute, and the other one. Everyone is just repeating themselves. You're not going to change everything by saying how much this sucks and how much you hate the shitty stupid mods, so just cowboy up and deal with it. If it doesn't work, it can always be changed back. A lot of people here need to grow up.
    I'm not disagreeing with you here, but I find it weird that this whole move is supposed to foster a better sense of community on the board when it seems to be alienating so many.

But we'll see how it turns out I guess.

Sixfortyfive on
    edited September 2006
    I'm not disagreeing with you here, but I find it weird that this whole move is supposed to foster a better sense of community on the board when it seems to be alienating so many.

There are, what, maybe ten people complaining in here? For such a huge community, I hardly see that as "alienating so many."

Thanatos on
    edited September 2006
    Thanatos wrote:

There are, what, maybe ten people complaining in here? For such a huge community, I hardly see that as "alienating so many."

Many people have left. That's also a bad use of statistics.

Branduil on
    mcc for admin

I blame Whippy
  • LightReaperLightReaper Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    You forgot guys, they can lie all they want and make insubstantial claims, they're allowed to, they are the guys in charge.

So yeah, whether G&T chat thread was more active or not is irrelevant, they'll still twist the facts to justify their measures anyway.

LightReaper on
    edited September 2006
    Branduil wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:

Many people have left. That's also a bad use of statistics.
    Where are all these people who have left? Do you have any evidence? Or are we expected to just accept that it's true, without anything to back it up?

Thanatos on
    edited September 2006
    You forgot guys, they can lie all they want and make insubstantial claims, they're allowed to, they are the guys in charge.

So yeah, whether G&T chat thread was more active or not is irrelevant, they'll still twist the facts to justify their measures anyway.
    Tell me how it would be relevant?

Thanatos on
This discussion has been closed.