As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
We're funding a new Acquisitions Incorporated series on Kickstarter right now! Check it out at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pennyarcade/acquisitions-incorporated-the-series-2

Question About SE++ Chat Threads

2456711

Posts

  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I didn't say that it would stay open in G&T, because it won't. As you say, there is no good place to post that thread. They were, in fact, terrible threads.

    However, while totally unsuited for SE, they would have gone more in G&T because they were all about games.
    You know, I'll concede that they probably weren't threadworthy to begin with. That second part isn't really true though, considering that a lot of game threads actually survive in SE.

    True, but Bamelin's intent to have G&T converstaion in SE was pretty clear.

    My intent was to have the type of chat we're used to having from G&T. We were told afterall that SE is the "chat" forum. But now it seems we're only allowed to chat a certain way?

    Bamelin on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    There should be a chat thread for threads like "so, what music are you listening to right now"
    People post for a bit, then topic switches.

    I just don't like the idea of 25 individual topics where EVERY topic is off-topic.
    Sure, it stays on topic for the first few pages, but it always veers off.
    Wanna talk about the bear thread? It just went from bears to Canada to Canada meet up.

    FFS!
    Ever thought about making use of D&D?

    I mentioned this in a PM to Whippy, but I think it would do a lot of good if people realized that D&D was more than just a debate forum. If you glance through the topic index right now, you'll spot a football thread, a music thread, an anime thread, etc. Why not make use of it for on-topic chat?

    Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2006
    xzzy wrote:
    The link in the OP confirmed my long held suspicion that I should never ever enter the SE forum. People voluntarily post on that board? People with measurable intelligence?

    The mods expecting the G&T folks to cheerfully migrate over there and chat like they used to? Brilliant idea*. Seriously, an entire forum where hijacking an existing thread is preferred over making a new one is the most retarded idea I have ever come across.

    that's sarcasm if you missed it

    What's funny is that you haven't even given this a shot. And if you did you'd try something dumb and when you got called on it you'd be all "SEE, THIS IS WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT." Yeah, guess what, it's not G+T, but that doesn't mean it's worthless.

    And people who make good OPs and posts in a thread can keep it on topic if they try.

    A duck! on
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I didn't say that it would stay open in G&T, because it won't. As you say, there is no good place to post that thread. They were, in fact, terrible threads.

    However, while totally unsuited for SE, they would have gone more in G&T because they were all about games.
    You know, I'll concede that they probably weren't threadworthy to begin with. That second part isn't really true though, considering that a lot of game threads actually survive in SE.

    True, but Bamelin's intent to have G&T converstaion in SE was pretty clear.
    BUT THAT CONVERSATION ISNT ALLOWED IN GNT BECAUSE IT IS A POLL THREAD.

    Seriously orikae, Bamelin's question is the kind of shit that would have flown in the GnT chat thread, no two ways about it.
    You'd think that if a thread isn't allowed in either G&T or SE for whatever reason, it'd tell you something about the thread.

    [spoiler:374ca0c7e6]It's a stupid fucking thread.[/spoiler:374ca0c7e6]

    His Corkiness on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I didn't say that it would stay open in G&T, because it won't. As you say, there is no good place to post that thread. They were, in fact, terrible threads.

    However, while totally unsuited for SE, they would have gone more in G&T because they were all about games.
    You know, I'll concede that they probably weren't threadworthy to begin with. That second part isn't really true though, considering that a lot of game threads actually survive in SE.

    True, but Bamelin's intent to have G&T converstaion in SE was pretty clear.
    BUT THAT CONVERSATION ISNT ALLOWED IN GNT BECAUSE IT IS A POLL THREAD.

    Seriously orikae, Bamelin's question is the kind of shit that would have flown in the GnT chat thread, no two ways about it.


    Too fucking bad SE++ is not the Games and Technology Chat Thread, nor was it ever intended to be.

    Javen on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    bamelin, posting a thread called 'what music do you listen to while playing games' will naturally be locked in SE, because it's not the games forum

    G&T is

    SE doesn't have chat threads. it is a chat thread.

    jump in and chat, you don't need a specific thread to do it in.
    By that logic

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831264
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833434

    Should all have been locked.

    deadonthestreet on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    bamelin, posting a thread called 'what music do you listen to while playing games' will naturally be locked in SE, because it's not the games forum

    G&T is

    SE doesn't have chat threads. it is a chat thread.

    jump in and chat, you don't need a specific thread to do it in.
    By that logic

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831264
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833434

    Should all have been locked.

    No because those threads are about non stupid things.

    Javen on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2006
    bamelin, posting a thread called 'what music do you listen to while playing games' will naturally be locked in SE, because it's not the games forum

    G&T is

    SE doesn't have chat threads. it is a chat thread.

    jump in and chat, you don't need a specific thread to do it in.
    By that logic

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831264
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833434

    Should all have been locked.

    No, because those aren't stupid threads. If they were stupid, and G+T-esque, then they probably would have been locked. SE is ALSO a community, and just because an element overlaps with G+T doesn't mean auto-lock. However, when it does overlap, and it's fucking retarded, then I guess you can expect it to go away.

    A duck! on
  • TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I dunno.
    PA is getting really messy.
    What was it before SE? Wasn't there a time when SE was never there and PA forums were still up?

    TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2006
    I dunno.
    PA is getting really messy.
    What was it before SE? Wasn't there a time when SE was never there and PA forums were still up?

    M2, went down December 2002.

    A duck! on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    bamelin, posting a thread called 'what music do you listen to while playing games' will naturally be locked in SE, because it's not the games forum

    G&T is

    SE doesn't have chat threads. it is a chat thread.

    jump in and chat, you don't need a specific thread to do it in.
    By that logic

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831264
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833434

    Should all have been locked.

    By that logic, the G&T Photoshop threads should be locked because Photoshoping really doesn't have anything to do with games or technology

    Garlic Bread on
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Javen wrote:
    bamelin, posting a thread called 'what music do you listen to while playing games' will naturally be locked in SE, because it's not the games forum

    G&T is

    SE doesn't have chat threads. it is a chat thread.

    jump in and chat, you don't need a specific thread to do it in.
    By that logic

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831264
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833434

    Should all have been locked.

    No because those threads are about non stupid things.

    No, those are clearly threads on games, therefore meant for G&T by Ori's logic. We have a forum for that stuff you know. How can you possibly be so blind as to miss the double standard unless you're trolling? If we're not supposed to have cliques, then all of SE++'s gaming threads can go into G&T just fine. Or, you know, is it only ok when your subforum isn't the one getting fucked? :roll:

    Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    bamelin, posting a thread called 'what music do you listen to while playing games' will naturally be locked in SE, because it's not the games forum

    G&T is

    SE doesn't have chat threads. it is a chat thread.

    jump in and chat, you don't need a specific thread to do it in.
    By that logic

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831264
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833434

    Should all have been locked.

    By that logic, the G&T Photoshop threads should be locked because Photoshoping really doesn't have anything to do with games or technology

    And the chat thread, because that has nothing to do with an on-topic forum.

    OH, WAIT

    A duck! on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    My point was Orikaeshigitae's post was bad logic.

    The thread wasn't locked because it would fit better in G&T, it was locked because it was dumb.

    deadonthestreet on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    bamelin, posting a thread called 'what music do you listen to while playing games' will naturally be locked in SE, because it's not the games forum

    G&T is

    SE doesn't have chat threads. it is a chat thread.

    jump in and chat, you don't need a specific thread to do it in.
    By that logic

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831264
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833434

    Should all have been locked.
    By that logic, the G&T Photoshop threads should be locked because Photoshoping really doesn't have anything to do with games or technology
    And the chat thread, because that has nothing to do with an on-topic forum.

    OH, WAIT
    So D&D, AC, GV, etc. are all losing their chat threads in the near future?

    Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2006
    Voro wrote:
    Javen wrote:
    bamelin, posting a thread called 'what music do you listen to while playing games' will naturally be locked in SE, because it's not the games forum

    G&T is

    SE doesn't have chat threads. it is a chat thread.

    jump in and chat, you don't need a specific thread to do it in.
    By that logic

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831264
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833434

    Should all have been locked.

    No because those threads are about non stupid things.

    No, those are clearly threads on games, therefore meant for G&T by Ori's logic. We have a forum for that stuff you know. How can you possibly be so blind as to miss the double standard unless you're trolling? If we're not supposed to have cliques, then all of SE++'s gaming threads can go into G&T just fine. Or, you know, is it only ok when your subforum isn't the one getting fucked? :roll:

    Maybe you forget that SE got segregated from the main forum page once. I don't think we had more than 10 minutes of complaining and then went on our way. I can't believe how much you guys are overreacting.

    A duck! on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    bamelin, posting a thread called 'what music do you listen to while playing games' will naturally be locked in SE, because it's not the games forum

    G&T is

    SE doesn't have chat threads. it is a chat thread.

    jump in and chat, you don't need a specific thread to do it in.
    By that logic

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831264
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833434

    Should all have been locked.
    By that logic, the G&T Photoshop threads should be locked because Photoshoping really doesn't have anything to do with games or technology
    And the chat thread, because that has nothing to do with an on-topic forum.

    OH, WAIT
    So D&D, AC, GV, etc. are all losing their chat threads in the near future?
    I opposed them when they were proposed and have advocated their removal dozens of times. You can keep crying because someone took your toy away, but you're an idiot if you try to hoist something on me here.

    A duck! on
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Javen wrote:
    bamelin, posting a thread called 'what music do you listen to while playing games' will naturally be locked in SE, because it's not the games forum

    G&T is

    SE doesn't have chat threads. it is a chat thread.

    jump in and chat, you don't need a specific thread to do it in.
    By that logic

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831264
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833434

    Should all have been locked.

    No because those threads are about non stupid things.

    And who determines what's stupid and what's not? The chair topic, the favorite gaming drink topic, and the favorite gaming music topic are all things that would have been very comfortable in the G&T chat thread.

    Look, Whipy made it clear ... all chat goes into SE++. That's fine but it would be nice to have some thread assassination rules in place. There are some SE'ers that have made it VERY clear they DON'T want us or our "style" of polite chatting in their forums. It just seems like we've been tossed to the sharks overnight with basically no warning, of COURSE there is going to be friction.

    In the end you can be certain that most former G&T chatters won't go to SE, because the forum isn't our style (there's nothing wrong with SE, it's just a thing of preference). Those people will just leave PA altogether and THAT really sucks.

    What needs to be done is to make a chat forum that is moderated and has rules about thread assassination in the CHAT FORUMS section of the PA forums. Call it G&T Chat or something.

    Give us somewhere we can go where we can chat without having our threads derailed every 2nd page.

    Bamelin on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    so, bamelin

    you want chat threads that don't act like chat threads

    Orikaeshigitae on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    bamelin, posting a thread called 'what music do you listen to while playing games' will naturally be locked in SE, because it's not the games forum

    G&T is

    SE doesn't have chat threads. it is a chat thread.

    jump in and chat, you don't need a specific thread to do it in.
    By that logic

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831264
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833434

    Should all have been locked.
    By that logic, the G&T Photoshop threads should be locked because Photoshoping really doesn't have anything to do with games or technology
    And the chat thread, because that has nothing to do with an on-topic forum.

    OH, WAIT
    So D&D, AC, GV, etc. are all losing their chat threads in the near future?
    I opposed them when they were proposed and have advocated their removal dozens of times. You can keep crying because someone took your toy away, but you're an idiot if you try to hoist something on me here.
    No need to be hostile, man. Just asking.

    It's not the end of the world to me.

    Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Voro wrote:
    Javen wrote:
    bamelin, posting a thread called 'what music do you listen to while playing games' will naturally be locked in SE, because it's not the games forum

    G&T is

    SE doesn't have chat threads. it is a chat thread.

    jump in and chat, you don't need a specific thread to do it in.
    By that logic

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831264
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833434

    Should all have been locked.

    No because those threads are about non stupid things.

    No, those are clearly threads on games, therefore meant for G&T by Ori's logic. We have a forum for that stuff you know. How can you possibly be so blind as to miss the double standard unless you're trolling? If we're not supposed to have cliques, then all of SE++'s gaming threads can go into G&T just fine. Or, you know, is it only ok when your subforum isn't the one getting fucked? :roll:

    Well no.

    Let's take the SE++ 360 thread. It was a thread to allow denizens of SE++ to get together and play Xbox games. How would a thread geared towards SE++ be meant for G&T?

    Games and Technology is a forum about Games and Technology. Those are the boundaries in which a successful thread in G&T must contain.

    Social Entropy is an off-topic thread which does not mean that a thread cannot have a topic, it means that it can be about any subject, theoretically. But since this is obviously far too broad, threads are generally handled on a case by case basis by the moderators. There is no double standard.

    Javen on
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    so, bamelin

    you want chat threads that don't act like chat threads

    Go look at some of the old G&T console threads. The 360 one on particular. We would go for even as much as 2 pages off topic sometimes, but we ALWAYS got back on topic talking about 360 news, games and so forth.

    We want chat threads that act like G&T chat threads in terms of civillity and respect to each other, lack of flames, and lack of derailment.

    Bamelin on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    bamelin, posting a thread called 'what music do you listen to while playing games' will naturally be locked in SE, because it's not the games forum

    G&T is

    SE doesn't have chat threads. it is a chat thread.

    jump in and chat, you don't need a specific thread to do it in.
    By that logic

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831264
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833434

    Should all have been locked.
    By that logic, the G&T Photoshop threads should be locked because Photoshoping really doesn't have anything to do with games or technology
    And the chat thread, because that has nothing to do with an on-topic forum.

    OH, WAIT
    So D&D, AC, GV, etc. are all losing their chat threads in the near future?

    Graphic Violence doesn't have a chat thread because chat threads are retarded.

    Garlic Bread on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:
    And who determines what's stupid and what's not? The chair topic, the favorite gaming drink topic, and the favorite gaming music topic are all things that would have been very comfortable in the G&T chat thread.

    Look, Whipy made it clear ... all chat goes into SE++. That's fine but it would be nice to have some thread assassination rules in place. There are some SE'ers that have made it VERY clear they DON'T want us or our "style" of polite chatting in their forums. It just seems like we've been tossed to the sharks overnight with basically no warning, of COURSE there is going to be friction.

    Hey, maybe you should try to lurk for a day or two, because you have no idea how it works. Mods in SE have some patience, but not an unlimited amount. A stupid thread or two can pass by, if it seems to make people happy, but too much of that shit needs to have the kaibosh put on. The last thing you want is a few people getting the bright idea to start threads like "WHAT KIND OF CARPETING DO YOU HAVE IN YOUR ROOM WHILE YOU GAME?" or "WHAT KIND OF LIGHTBULBS etc". Seriously, if you actually peruse the forum and get off your god-damn high horse you might have a good time.

    A duck! on
  • The SphinxThe Sphinx Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Javen wrote:
    Social Entropy is an off-topic thread which does not mean that a thread cannot have a topic, it means that it can be about any subject, theoretically. But since this is obviously far too broad, threads are generally handled on a case by case basis by the moderators. There is no double standard.
    Which is another way of saying "The community in SE++ can do whatever the fuck it wants".

    The Sphinx on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2006
    The Sphinx wrote:
    Javen wrote:
    Social Entropy is an off-topic thread which does not mean that a thread cannot have a topic, it means that it can be about any subject, theoretically. But since this is obviously far too broad, threads are generally handled on a case by case basis by the moderators. There is no double standard.
    Which is another way of saying "The community in SE++ can do whatever the fuck it wants".
    If it helps, the original description was "Where you can talk about anything, anytime." That's changed since people have started testing limits, but for the most part it's true.

    A duck! on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    No, I assure you that we can't 'do whatever we want'

    A shitty thread about nothing is going to be locked just as fast as a shitty thread about what kind of hostess cupcake you enjoy while gaming

    Javen on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:
    And who determines what's stupid and what's not? The chair topic, the favorite gaming drink topic, and the favorite gaming music topic are all things that would have been very comfortable in the G&T chat thread.

    Look, Whipy made it clear ... all chat goes into SE++. That's fine but it would be nice to have some thread assassination rules in place. There are some SE'ers that have made it VERY clear they DON'T want us or our "style" of polite chatting in their forums. It just seems like we've been tossed to the sharks overnight with basically no warning, of COURSE there is going to be friction.

    Hey, maybe you should try to lurk for a day or two, because you have no idea how it works. Mods in SE have some patience, but not an unlimited amount. A stupid thread or two can pass by, if it seems to make people happy, but too much of that shit needs to have the kaibosh put on. The last thing you want is a few people getting the bright idea to start threads like "WHAT KIND OF CARPETING DO YOU HAVE IN YOUR ROOM WHILE YOU GAME?" or "WHAT KIND OF LIGHTBULBS etc". Seriously, if you actually peruse the forum and get off your god-damn high horse you might have a good time.

    A Duck you will always be a mod in my heart

    Garlic Bread on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    bamelin, posting a thread called 'what music do you listen to while playing games' will naturally be locked in SE, because it's not the games forum

    G&T is

    SE doesn't have chat threads. it is a chat thread.

    jump in and chat, you don't need a specific thread to do it in.
    By that logic

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831264
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833434

    Should all have been locked.

    No, because those aren't stupid threads. If they were stupid, and G+T-esque, then they probably would have been locked. SE is ALSO a community, and just because an element overlaps with G+T doesn't mean auto-lock. However, when it does overlap, and it's fucking retarded, then I guess you can expect it to go away.

    but you're a chat forum

    If I integrated into D&D fully and started making console threads, they'd be locked, no questions asked, and told to go to G&T for such a thing.

    But, they're a community too.


    Why does SE++ get special treatment?

    Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    If we can truly have G&T style chatting in SE++, then I look forward to the "What would Uriel do" thread.

    DarkPrimus on
    usnTyq4.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Javen wrote:
    denizens of SE++

    You haven't been following the whole ordeal, have you? That was the entire justification for killing the chat thread. There are supposedly no cliques, we're all PAers. Therefore you don't need Game On threads for SE++, you don't need us to post in a SE++ style in that subforum, and G&Ters are just as much "denizens of SE++" as everyone else. That's what the mods are saying, but it sure as hell doesn't sound like that's the way it is after hearing from you and others. Thus, double standard. Because, you know, the largest subforum where you can't keep track of regulars was clearly the most tight-knit, isolated portion of the community that felt the need to shy away from posting in other subforums.

    Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    bamelin, posting a thread called 'what music do you listen to while playing games' will naturally be locked in SE, because it's not the games forum

    G&T is

    SE doesn't have chat threads. it is a chat thread.

    jump in and chat, you don't need a specific thread to do it in.
    By that logic

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831264
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833434

    Should all have been locked.

    No, because those aren't stupid threads. If they were stupid, and G+T-esque, then they probably would have been locked. SE is ALSO a community, and just because an element overlaps with G+T doesn't mean auto-lock. However, when it does overlap, and it's fucking retarded, then I guess you can expect it to go away.

    That's just it. What SE++ defines as "stupid" is completely different from what G&T would define as stupid. SE++ seems to see alot of the things that G&T'ers find interesting as being "lame/stupid/boring" etc. So OF COURSE there is going to be a conflict when hundreds of G&T chatters are tossed into the SE++ forums with no warning and told to chat it up.

    Bamelin on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2006
    Lanz wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    bamelin, posting a thread called 'what music do you listen to while playing games' will naturally be locked in SE, because it's not the games forum

    G&T is

    SE doesn't have chat threads. it is a chat thread.

    jump in and chat, you don't need a specific thread to do it in.
    By that logic

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831264
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833434

    Should all have been locked.

    No, because those aren't stupid threads. If they were stupid, and G+T-esque, then they probably would have been locked. SE is ALSO a community, and just because an element overlaps with G+T doesn't mean auto-lock. However, when it does overlap, and it's fucking retarded, then I guess you can expect it to go away.

    but you're a chat forum

    If I integrated into D&D fully and started making console threads, they'd be locked, no questions asked, and told to go to G&T for such a thing.

    But, they're a community too.


    Why does SE++ get special treatment?

    Because they are an ON TOPIC FORUM. SE is NOT an on topic forum. When you go to an on-topic you trade some of the freedom in threadmaking for a moderated conversation. Holy crap, how hard is this to grasp?

    A duck! on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    bamelin, posting a thread called 'what music do you listen to while playing games' will naturally be locked in SE, because it's not the games forum

    G&T is

    SE doesn't have chat threads. it is a chat thread.

    jump in and chat, you don't need a specific thread to do it in.
    By that logic

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831264
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833434

    Should all have been locked.

    No, because those aren't stupid threads. If they were stupid, and G+T-esque, then they probably would have been locked. SE is ALSO a community, and just because an element overlaps with G+T doesn't mean auto-lock. However, when it does overlap, and it's fucking retarded, then I guess you can expect it to go away.

    That's just it. What SE++ defines as "stupid" is completely different from what G&T would define as stupid. SE++ seems to see alot of the things that G&T'ers find interesting as being "lame/stupid/boring" etc. So OF COURSE there is going to be a conflict when hundreds of G&T chatters are tossed into the SE++ forums with no warning and told to chat it up.
    Yeah, talking about what you drink while you game, that's some edifying stuff. It's a shame we weren't intelligent enough to enjoy the rich tapestry of 5 pages of "Bawls." Lets see, the regular SE rabble is told that G+T people are going to start posting, G+T people are told to post there, so immediately G+T people try to transplant G+T into the SE rabble. Now, I think in time Whippy is right, and everything will be fine, but it was sort of stupid for those threadmakers to start stirring the pot not 5 minutes after the chat thread was locked.

    A duck! on
  • SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I don't see the point of SE having console megathreads either. It seems hypocritical and overall pointless.

    Sanius on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Voro wrote:
    Javen wrote:
    denizens of SE++
    You haven't been following the whole ordeal, have you? That was the entire justification for killing the chat thread. There are supposedly no cliques, we're all PAers. Therefore you don't need Game On threads for SE++, you don't need us to post in a SE++ style in that subforum, and G&Ters are just as much "denizens of SE++" as everyone else. That's what the mods are saying, but it sure as hell doesn't sound like that's the way it is after hearing from you and others. Thus, double standard. Because, you know, the largest subforum where you can't keep track of regulars was clearly the most tight-knit, isolated portion of the community that felt the need to shy away from posting in other subforums.
    "Chat thread, we're breaking you up and suggesting you make use of our chat forum. You're too much of a clique, and you scare off new users. Just do your best to lurk in SE++ and get a feel for how things work over there. If you get hazed a little, just let it roll off your back. You'll fit into the clique eventually."

    Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    What's funny is that you haven't even given this a shot. And if you did you'd try something dumb and when you got called on it you'd be all "SEE, THIS IS WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT." Yeah, guess what, it's not G+T, but that doesn't mean it's worthless.

    How much of a shot am I supposed to give it? I wade in there briefly to see if it's as bad as I've heard, and am instantly repelled by it. Figuring the gaying up of the boads this weekened lowered the average intelligence, I went back to old threads from June and July. I paged through easily two dozen threads, picked entirely at random based on how interesting the subject appeared.

    The stuff I see in there is the same reason I don't read the IGN boards or gamefaqs or something awful, nothing but page after page of unreadable vapid spew.

    If some people like it, more power to them. I'm glad they do, really. But I seriously don't think mods should be suggesting it as a viable alternative to what G&T had going on.

    xzzy on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Lanz wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    bamelin, posting a thread called 'what music do you listen to while playing games' will naturally be locked in SE, because it's not the games forum

    G&T is

    SE doesn't have chat threads. it is a chat thread.

    jump in and chat, you don't need a specific thread to do it in.
    By that logic

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831264
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833434

    Should all have been locked.

    No, because those aren't stupid threads. If they were stupid, and G+T-esque, then they probably would have been locked. SE is ALSO a community, and just because an element overlaps with G+T doesn't mean auto-lock. However, when it does overlap, and it's fucking retarded, then I guess you can expect it to go away.

    but you're a chat forum

    If I integrated into D&D fully and started making console threads, they'd be locked, no questions asked, and told to go to G&T for such a thing.

    But, they're a community too.


    Why does SE++ get special treatment?

    Because they are an ON TOPIC FORUM. SE is NOT an on topic forum. When you go to an on-topic you trade some of the freedom in threadmaking for a moderated conversation. Holy crap, how hard is this to grasp?

    it's really sounding to me like SE++ is really the problem when it comes to integration. They obviously don't need the rest of the PA community, but yet now G&T has been forced upon them if we want to chat

    It's essentially "Make whatever the hell you want, then we get to derail it into chat as the community sees fit."

    Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Lanz wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    bamelin, posting a thread called 'what music do you listen to while playing games' will naturally be locked in SE, because it's not the games forum

    G&T is

    SE doesn't have chat threads. it is a chat thread.

    jump in and chat, you don't need a specific thread to do it in.
    By that logic

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831264
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833434

    Should all have been locked.

    No, because those aren't stupid threads. If they were stupid, and G+T-esque, then they probably would have been locked. SE is ALSO a community, and just because an element overlaps with G+T doesn't mean auto-lock. However, when it does overlap, and it's fucking retarded, then I guess you can expect it to go away.

    but you're a chat forum

    If I integrated into D&D fully and started making console threads, they'd be locked, no questions asked, and told to go to G&T for such a thing.

    But, they're a community too.


    Why does SE++ get special treatment?

    Because they are an ON TOPIC FORUM. SE is NOT an on topic forum. When you go to an on-topic you trade some of the freedom in threadmaking for a moderated conversation. Holy crap, how hard is this to grasp?

    Which is why people liked chatting in G&T. We knew that trolls would be jailed. We could go off topic for a page or so and be guaranteed the topic would be back on topic within a page. In SE++ this doesn't happen.

    Bamelin on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2006
    Tee-hee, the SE clique. All we have are in-jokes. Once you understand them then you'll be fine. Of course, that comes from reading and not immediately making threads reminding people that another forum is putting up it's tent. But, oh, hey, lets not actually make an effort or anything.

    A duck! on
This discussion has been closed.