Options

Question About SE++ Chat Threads

1356711

Posts

  • Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:
    I didn't say that it would stay open in G&T, because it won't. As you say, there is no good place to post that thread. They were, in fact, terrible threads.

    However, while totally unsuited for SE, they would have gone more in G&T because they were all about games.
    You know, I'll concede that they probably weren't threadworthy to begin with. That second part isn't really true though, considering that a lot of game threads actually survive in SE.

    There's even a 360 thread in SE http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679

    That would seem to be more G&T's province isn't it?

    It just seems that the rules are contradictory. I don't know what's appropriate to post where now. SE definately talks about games. It's the lax rules in terms of forum etiquette and chat in SE++ that seperates the two.

    If you read the thread title, it's the SE++ 360 thread because SEers would rather play with each other than with G&Ters

    So where do we G&Ters go? Make a 360 thread in G&T?

    Oh shit, we had that didn't we, but we can't have it anymore.

    Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options
    The SphinxThe Sphinx Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Tee-hee, the SE clique. All we have are in-jokes. Once you understand them then you'll be fine. Of course, that comes from reading and not immediately making threads reminding people that another forum is putting up it's tent. But, oh, hey, lets not actually make an effort or anything.
    That's a clique.

    The Sphinx on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited September 2006
    Lanz wrote:
    it's really sounding to me like SE++ is really the problem when it comes to integration. They obviously don't need the rest of the PA community, but yet now G&T has been forced upon them if we want to chat

    It's essentially "Make whatever the hell you want, then we get to derail it into chat as the community sees fit."

    You guys really seem to have the SE of like 2003 in your heads, built up by bitter regs. I don't think I've seen an honest-to-God flamewar in over a year. And I don't think of the way people post as being malicious, but capricious.

    A duck! on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Feriluce wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:
    I didn't say that it would stay open in G&T, because it won't. As you say, there is no good place to post that thread. They were, in fact, terrible threads.

    However, while totally unsuited for SE, they would have gone more in G&T because they were all about games.
    You know, I'll concede that they probably weren't threadworthy to begin with. That second part isn't really true though, considering that a lot of game threads actually survive in SE.
    There's even a 360 thread in SE http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679

    That would seem to be more G&T's province isn't it?

    It just seems that the rules are contradictory. I don't know what's appropriate to post where now. SE definately talks about games. It's the lax rules in terms of forum etiquette and chat in SE++ that seperates the two.
    If you read the thread title, it's the SE++ 360 thread because SEers would rather play with each other than with G&Ters
    So where do we G&Ters go? Make a 360 thread in G&T?

    Oh shit, we had that didn't we, but we can't have it anymore.
    There will still be an Xbox Live thread for game-ons.

    Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    BranduilBranduil Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Voro wrote:
    Javen wrote:
    denizens of SE++
    You haven't been following the whole ordeal, have you? That was the entire justification for killing the chat thread. There are supposedly no cliques, we're all PAers. Therefore you don't need Game On threads for SE++, you don't need us to post in a SE++ style in that subforum, and G&Ters are just as much "denizens of SE++" as everyone else. That's what the mods are saying, but it sure as hell doesn't sound like that's the way it is after hearing from you and others. Thus, double standard. Because, you know, the largest subforum where you can't keep track of regulars was clearly the most tight-knit, isolated portion of the community that felt the need to shy away from posting in other subforums.
    "Chat thread, we're breaking you up and suggesting you make use of our chat forum. You're too much of a clique, and you scare off new users. Just do your best to lurk in SE++ and get a feel for how things work over there. If you get hazed a little, just let it roll off your back. You'll fit into the clique eventually."

    No, no, don't you see, SixFortyFive? SE++ doesn't have any cliques, we just suck. That's the answer to everything.

    Branduil on
    mcc for admin

    I blame Whippy
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Tee-hee, the SE clique. All we have are in-jokes. Once you understand them then you'll be fine. Of course, that comes from reading and not immediately making threads reminding people that another forum is putting up it's tent. But, oh, hey, lets not actually make an effort or anything.
    The problem people are having with this statement is that the reason Whippy said the changes were happening is because he wanted G&T to be easier for new people to get into.

    However what you are saying is that the same idea shouldn't apply to SE++.

    I think everyone here should be more accepting.

    deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited September 2006
    The Sphinx wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    Tee-hee, the SE clique. All we have are in-jokes. Once you understand them then you'll be fine. Of course, that comes from reading and not immediately making threads reminding people that another forum is putting up it's tent. But, oh, hey, lets not actually make an effort or anything.
    That's a clique.
    Cliques are built on exclusion, this is just common experience. Smart guy.

    A duck! on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    You know what the problem is

    G&Ters are being giant fucking dicks about the whole ordeal

    A lot of you came in to SE++ and made threads for stupid little shit that wouldn't get two replies in the G&T chat thread, and then complained like whiney bitches when they got locked, saying "We're just doing what we were told to!"

    but you're not, and you know it. You know that "What kind of chair do you game on" is a retarded thread. Hell, Whippy even uses it as an example in the new G&T Rules thread. You're just doing this shit to "prove" a point.

    Just read some threads and talk it up. You don't need to make a thread. Hell, don't make a thread. Most people don't. If you've got something super interesting, it's all right to do it. If you've got something that you just thought of in the last five seconds, just post it anywhere.

    Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    i think i'll get some sleep before getting into this for the sixth or twentieth time today
    You wouldn't have to get into it for the twentieth time today if you hadn't fucked up the forums.

    SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    bamelin, posting a thread called 'what music do you listen to while playing games' will naturally be locked in SE, because it's not the games forum

    G&T is

    SE doesn't have chat threads. it is a chat thread.

    jump in and chat, you don't need a specific thread to do it in.
    By that logic

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831264
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833434

    Should all have been locked.

    No, because those aren't stupid threads. If they were stupid, and G+T-esque, then they probably would have been locked. SE is ALSO a community, and just because an element overlaps with G+T doesn't mean auto-lock. However, when it does overlap, and it's fucking retarded, then I guess you can expect it to go away.

    That's just it. What SE++ defines as "stupid" is completely different from what G&T would define as stupid. SE++ seems to see alot of the things that G&T'ers find interesting as being "lame/stupid/boring" etc. So OF COURSE there is going to be a conflict when hundreds of G&T chatters are tossed into the SE++ forums with no warning and told to chat it up.
    Yeah, talking about what you drink while you game, that's some edifying stuff. It's a shame we weren't intelligent enough to enjoy the rich tapestry of 5 pages of "Bawls." Lets see, the regular SE rabble is told that G+T people are going to start posting, G+T people are told to post there, so immediately G+T people try to transplant G+T into the SE rabble. Now, I think in time Whippy is right, and everything will be fine, but it was sort of stupid for those threadmakers to start stirring the pot not 5 minutes after the chat thread was locked.

    No offence but what did you expect? We were told SE is the new chat place. Of course we're going to bring our brand of chatting to SE. If you don't like it too bad, we have as much right to chat there as you do. SE++ is not a personal castle ... not anymore.

    My threads were not stupid. G&T'ers would have enjoyed my topics to chat about. Saying they are "stupid" is completely subjective based upon the SE++ communities standards they are used to. Guess what? Hundreds of G&T'ers are descending on SE++. Either there is going to have be compromise or a new chat forum with G&T style rules need to be set up.

    I don't expect SE to change for us. Don't expect us to change for SE.

    Bamelin on
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Lanz wrote:
    it's really sounding to me like SE++ is really the problem when it comes to integration. They obviously don't need the rest of the PA community, but yet now G&T has been forced upon them if we want to chat

    It's essentially "Make whatever the hell you want, then we get to derail it into chat as the community sees fit."

    You guys really seem to have the SE of like 2003 in your heads, built up by bitter regs. I don't think I've seen an honest-to-God flamewar in over a year. And I don't think of the way people post as being malicious, but capricious.
    Until today?

    TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Lanz wrote:
    it's really sounding to me like SE++ is really the problem when it comes to integration. They obviously don't need the rest of the PA community, but yet now G&T has been forced upon them if we want to chat

    It's essentially "Make whatever the hell you want, then we get to derail it into chat as the community sees fit."

    You guys really seem to have the SE of like 2003 in your heads, built up by bitter regs. I don't think I've seen an honest-to-God flamewar in over a year. And I don't think of the way people post as being malicious, but capricious.

    uh, no I'm going entirely by what has been said in this thread.

    Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Tee-hee, the SE clique. All we have are in-jokes. Once you understand them then you'll be fine. Of course, that comes from reading and not immediately making threads reminding people that another forum is putting up it's tent. But, oh, hey, lets not actually make an effort or anything.
    The problem people are having with this statement is that the reason Whippy said the changes were happening is because he wanted G&T to be easier for new people to get into.

    However what you are saying is that the same idea shouldn't apply to SE++.

    I think everyone here should be more accepting.

    I'm sure there are changes coming down the pipe for SE, but this was a change for G+T. SE isn't relly doing anything that's against it's charter.

    A duck! on
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    i think i'll get some sleep before getting into this for the sixth or twentieth time today
    You wouldn't have to get into it for the twentieth time today if you hadn't fucked up the forums.
    I've noticed that your way of handling arguments is by being a fucking dick. I have problems with the moderators execution of this matter, but seriously, do us all a favor and kill yourself, because personally insulting mods is not going to help you to get your way.

    Sanius on
  • Options
    Maveric120Maveric120 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Hey, I never post but am a long time lurker (long before I actually registered). I just love how the chat thread was shut down for being to insular, but it's ok for SE to completely rip apart new GT migrants for the slightest violation of there sensibilies. This whole situation is so blinding two-faced I wouldn't even know where to begin.

    Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    If you've got something that you just thought of in the last five seconds, just post it anywhere.
    This is what I don't get.
    What's the point of threads if they all just end up becoming whatever mish mash of posts?

    TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Lanz wrote:
    it's really sounding to me like SE++ is really the problem when it comes to integration. They obviously don't need the rest of the PA community, but yet now G&T has been forced upon them if we want to chat

    It's essentially "Make whatever the hell you want, then we get to derail it into chat as the community sees fit."
    You guys really seem to have the SE of like 2003 in your heads, built up by bitter regs. I don't think I've seen an honest-to-God flamewar in over a year. And I don't think of the way people post as being malicious, but capricious.
    Last time I ever bothered to read the forum, I saw about three people jump on Seta's throat for "sticking it to a reg" (when he wasn't) and that they "don't want him over there."

    I'm not going to say it's representative of the entire subforum, but I find no end in amusement over the fact that this is the very thing that the chat thread was shut down for, yet I cannot recall something like this ever happening there.

    Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    Feriluce wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:
    I didn't say that it would stay open in G&T, because it won't. As you say, there is no good place to post that thread. They were, in fact, terrible threads.

    However, while totally unsuited for SE, they would have gone more in G&T because they were all about games.
    You know, I'll concede that they probably weren't threadworthy to begin with. That second part isn't really true though, considering that a lot of game threads actually survive in SE.

    There's even a 360 thread in SE http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679

    That would seem to be more G&T's province isn't it?

    It just seems that the rules are contradictory. I don't know what's appropriate to post where now. SE definately talks about games. It's the lax rules in terms of forum etiquette and chat in SE++ that seperates the two.

    If you read the thread title, it's the SE++ 360 thread because SEers would rather play with each other than with G&Ters

    So where do we G&Ters go? Make a 360 thread in G&T?

    Oh shit, we had that didn't we, but we can't have it anymore.

    Oh shit, I just looked in the G&T rules thread and it says that you can make 360 Game On threads so why don't you quit being a whiney cunt

    Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Oh shit, I just looked in the G&T rules thread and it says that you can make 360 Game On threads so why don't you quit being a whiney cunt
    Oh great, let's have a Game On thread for every 360 game available.
    Hell, even if it's only for the new games, that's one for Madden, one for Saints Row, one for NHL, one for TDU, etc.

    TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    What if, (God forbid) I have a serious thread I want to post that doesn't fit in any of the other forums?

    Sliver on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    If you've got something that you just thought of in the last five seconds, just post it anywhere.
    This is what I don't get.
    What's the point of threads if they all just end up becoming whatever mish mash of posts?
    The chat thread moved faster than SE++ sometimes.

    You just need more tabs open to follow everything.

    deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    Sliver wrote:
    What if, (God forbid) I have a serious thread I want to post that doesn't fit in any of the other forums?
    If it's a serious thread, what's wrong with D&D?

    tynic on
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Oh shit, I just looked in the G&T rules thread and it says that you can make 360 Game On threads so why don't you quit being a whiney cunt
    Oh great, let's have a Game On thread for every 360 game available.
    Hell, even if it's only for the new games, that's one for Madden, one for Saints Row, one for NHL, one for TDU, etc.
    Um.

    Xbox Live Game On thread?

    It's being made after the current 360 thread is locked.

    Sanius on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    If you've got something that you just thought of in the last five seconds, just post it anywhere.
    This is what I don't get.
    What's the point of threads if they all just end up becoming whatever mish mash of posts?

    they don't

    it's not like every post is completely isolated. Threads just deviate off the original topic and on to a new one.

    Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Maveric120 wrote:
    Hey, I never post but am a long time lurker (long before I actually registered). I just love how the chat thread was shut down for being to insular, but it's ok for SE to completely rip apart new GT migrants for the slightest violation of there sensibilies. This whole situation is so blinding two-faced I wouldn't even know where to begin.

    Bamelin on
  • Options
    Maveric120Maveric120 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm also curious if we are aloud to have a main chat thread in SE. If not, I'd love a reasonable, non-bullshit reason why there can't be, because have a bunch of apparently meaningless threads is quite dumb, concidering none of them have a topic. Why not just have one where everyone can bullshit together. It would keep the conversation faster and more interesting. I seem to recall that we had something like that a little while ago...

    Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Sliver wrote:
    What if, (God forbid) I have a serious thread I want to post that doesn't fit in any of the other forums?
    D&D...I think.

    TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    The SphinxThe Sphinx Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Sanius wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Oh shit, I just looked in the G&T rules thread and it says that you can make 360 Game On threads so why don't you quit being a whiney cunt
    Oh great, let's have a Game On thread for every 360 game available.
    Hell, even if it's only for the new games, that's one for Madden, one for Saints Row, one for NHL, one for TDU, etc.
    Um.

    Xbox Live Game On thread?

    It's being made after the current 360 thread is locked.
    I just can't wait until the first person gets jailed for posting 360 hardware news in that thread. I want to hear the justification for that.

    The Sphinx on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    bamelin, posting a thread called 'what music do you listen to while playing games' will naturally be locked in SE, because it's not the games forum

    G&T is

    SE doesn't have chat threads. it is a chat thread.

    jump in and chat, you don't need a specific thread to do it in.
    By that logic

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831264
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833434

    Should all have been locked.

    No, because those aren't stupid threads. If they were stupid, and G+T-esque, then they probably would have been locked. SE is ALSO a community, and just because an element overlaps with G+T doesn't mean auto-lock. However, when it does overlap, and it's fucking retarded, then I guess you can expect it to go away.

    That's just it. What SE++ defines as "stupid" is completely different from what G&T would define as stupid. SE++ seems to see alot of the things that G&T'ers find interesting as being "lame/stupid/boring" etc. So OF COURSE there is going to be a conflict when hundreds of G&T chatters are tossed into the SE++ forums with no warning and told to chat it up.
    Yeah, talking about what you drink while you game, that's some edifying stuff. It's a shame we weren't intelligent enough to enjoy the rich tapestry of 5 pages of "Bawls." Lets see, the regular SE rabble is told that G+T people are going to start posting, G+T people are told to post there, so immediately G+T people try to transplant G+T into the SE rabble. Now, I think in time Whippy is right, and everything will be fine, but it was sort of stupid for those threadmakers to start stirring the pot not 5 minutes after the chat thread was locked.

    No offence but what did you expect? We were told SE is the new chat place. Of course we're going to bring our brand of chatting to SE. If you don't like it too bad, we have as much right to chat there as you do. SE++ is not a personal castle ... not anymore.

    My threads were not stupid. G&T'ers would have enjoyed my topics to chat about. Saying they are "stupid" is completely subjective based upon the SE++ communities standards they are used to. Guess what? Hundreds of G&T'ers are descending on SE++. Either there is going to have be compromise or a new chat forum with G&T style rules need to be set up.

    I don't expect SE to change for us. Don't expect us to change for SE.

    Yes, actually, they were stupid, and that's by either standard. And it's not whether I like it or not, but whether the mods do. And I like this aggresive terminology you use. "Hundreds...descending" on the forums, we have to "compromise", or else what? What will you do if it doesn't happen? I think you really need to just take a step back and realise that what you're talking about here doesn't amount to a hill of beans. And if you want to bring your style of chatting that's fine, heck, some people have transitioned seamlessly. Of course, they didn't make a retarded thread right off the bat.

    And as for flamewars, I think there might have been a little something with TFS, but that was actually something G+T people started. Not the best example.

    A duck! on
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Tee-hee, the SE clique. All we have are in-jokes. Once you understand them then you'll be fine. Of course, that comes from reading and not immediately making threads reminding people that another forum is putting up it's tent. But, oh, hey, lets not actually make an effort or anything.

    Isin't that the problem the the mods had with g&t's chat thread?? That it was a clique and full of in jokes?? Ahh yes... From " the new forum order thead"" The chat thread is not a friendly place. You've turned it into a cesspool of in-jokes and stupid anime screencaps. If someone new comes in there, if you don't like the cut of someone's gib, you yell at them. You were turning Games and Technology into SE++ lite. My favorite word to describe the overall air of the place is xenophobic. The forum is called Games and Technology for a reason. It's time we got back to a time when we actually talked about games and/or technology. Don't make me rename the forum Spite and Vitriol. "

    Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    tynic wrote:
    Sliver wrote:
    What if, (God forbid) I have a serious thread I want to post that doesn't fit in any of the other forums?
    If it's a serious thread, what's wrong with D&D?
    I bold faced the last part of that post for you. Hope that makes it a little clearer.

    Sliver on
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Maveric120 wrote:
    I'm also curious if we are aloud to have a main chat thread in SE. If not, I'd love a reasonable, non-bullshit reason why there can't be, because have a bunch of apparently meaningless threads is quite dumb, concidering none of them have a topic. Why not just have one where everyone can bullshit together. It would keep the conversation faster and more interesting. I seem to recall that we had something like that a little while ago...
    This is my argument, condensed into one coherent post.

    TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited September 2006
    Maveric120 wrote:
    I'm also curious if we are aloud to have a main chat thread in SE. If not, I'd love a reasonable, non-bullshit reason why there can't be, because have a bunch of apparently meaningless threads is quite dumb, concidering none of them have a topic. Why not just have one where everyone can bullshit together. It would keep the conversation faster and more interesting. I seem to recall that we had something like that a little while ago...

    We used to have chat threads in SE, such as timewasters, etc. They were disposed of for the same reason that yours was.

    A duck! on
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Maveric120 wrote:
    I'm also curious if we are aloud to have a main chat thread in SE. If not, I'd love a reasonable, non-bullshit reason why there can't be, because have a bunch of apparently meaningless threads is quite dumb, concidering none of them have a topic. Why not just have one where everyone can bullshit together. It would keep the conversation faster and more interesting. I seem to recall that we had something like that a little while ago...

    We used to have chat threads in SE, such as timewasters, etc. They were disposed of for the same reason that yours was.
    And now all of the timewasters have ended up spilling over into ontopic threads, about anything, such as bears.

    TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    Maveric120Maveric120 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    We used to have chat threads in SE, such as timewasters, etc. They were disposed of for the same reason that yours was.[/quote]

    And I still fail to see that reason. You should still have your own.

    2ndGreat -- But if you prefer to derail all of them, why have so many different thread that move too slow?

    Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
  • Options
    The SphinxThe Sphinx Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Maveric120 wrote:
    I'm also curious if we are aloud to have a main chat thread in SE. If not, I'd love a reasonable, non-bullshit reason why there can't be, because have a bunch of apparently meaningless threads is quite dumb, concidering none of them have a topic. Why not just have one where everyone can bullshit together. It would keep the conversation faster and more interesting. I seem to recall that we had something like that a little while ago...

    We used to have chat threads in SE, such as timewasters, etc. They were disposed of for the same reason that yours was.
    And now all of the timewasters have ended up spilling over into ontopic threads, about anything, such as bears.
    Because tabs make everything better.

    The Sphinx on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited September 2006
    Disco11 wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    Tee-hee, the SE clique. All we have are in-jokes. Once you understand them then you'll be fine. Of course, that comes from reading and not immediately making threads reminding people that another forum is putting up it's tent. But, oh, hey, lets not actually make an effort or anything.

    Isin't that the problem the the mods had with g&t's chat thread?? That it was a clique and full of in jokes?? Ahh yes... From " the new forum order thead"" The chat thread is not a friendly place. You've turned it into a cesspool of in-jokes and stupid anime screencaps. If someone new comes in there, if you don't like the cut of someone's gib, you yell at them. You were turning Games and Technology into SE++ lite. My favorite word to describe the overall air of the place is xenophobic. The forum is called Games and Technology for a reason. It's time we got back to a time when we actually talked about games and/or technology. Don't make me rename the forum Spite and Vitriol. "

    Yes, but they are mostly forum wide things, and it's more reference than anything else. Knowing what mrhands or uglytits is useful, but not paramount. We don't have in-jokes that exist in one specific thread and nowhere else. It's more community knowledge.

    A duck! on
  • Options
    SheriffSheriff Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    tynic wrote:
    Sliver wrote:
    What if, (God forbid) I have a serious thread I want to post that doesn't fit in any of the other forums?
    If it's a serious thread, what's wrong with D&D?

    D&D.

    Sheriff on
    2007_mustanggtcs1lg.jpg
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    bamelin, posting a thread called 'what music do you listen to while playing games' will naturally be locked in SE, because it's not the games forum

    G&T is

    SE doesn't have chat threads. it is a chat thread.

    jump in and chat, you don't need a specific thread to do it in.
    By that logic

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831679
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073831264
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073833434

    Should all have been locked.

    No, because those aren't stupid threads. If they were stupid, and G+T-esque, then they probably would have been locked. SE is ALSO a community, and just because an element overlaps with G+T doesn't mean auto-lock. However, when it does overlap, and it's fucking retarded, then I guess you can expect it to go away.

    That's just it. What SE++ defines as "stupid" is completely different from what G&T would define as stupid. SE++ seems to see alot of the things that G&T'ers find interesting as being "lame/stupid/boring" etc. So OF COURSE there is going to be a conflict when hundreds of G&T chatters are tossed into the SE++ forums with no warning and told to chat it up.
    Yeah, talking about what you drink while you game, that's some edifying stuff. It's a shame we weren't intelligent enough to enjoy the rich tapestry of 5 pages of "Bawls." Lets see, the regular SE rabble is told that G+T people are going to start posting, G+T people are told to post there, so immediately G+T people try to transplant G+T into the SE rabble. Now, I think in time Whippy is right, and everything will be fine, but it was sort of stupid for those threadmakers to start stirring the pot not 5 minutes after the chat thread was locked.

    No offence but what did you expect? We were told SE is the new chat place. Of course we're going to bring our brand of chatting to SE. If you don't like it too bad, we have as much right to chat there as you do. SE++ is not a personal castle ... not anymore.

    My threads were not stupid. G&T'ers would have enjoyed my topics to chat about. Saying they are "stupid" is completely subjective based upon the SE++ communities standards they are used to. Guess what? Hundreds of G&T'ers are descending on SE++. Either there is going to have be compromise or a new chat forum with G&T style rules need to be set up.

    I don't expect SE to change for us. Don't expect us to change for SE.

    Yes, actually, they were stupid, and that's by either standard. And it's not whether I like it or not, but whether the mods do. And I like this aggresive terminology you use. "Hundreds...descending" on the forums, we have to "compromise", or else what? What will you do if it doesn't happen? I think you really need to just take a step back and realise that what you're talking about here doesn't amount to a hill of beans. And if you want to bring your style of chatting that's fine, heck, some people have transitioned seamlessly. Of course, they didn't make a retarded thread right off the bat.

    And as for flamewars, I think there might have been a little something with TFS, but that was actually something G+T people started. Not the best example.

    Again who are you to call my threads stupid.

    I've posted gaming chair related information several times on G&T with no problems at all.

    Stupid is subjective. What fly's in G&T doesn't fly at all in SE++. But G&T chatters have been told to post as we would normally in SE++. And SE++ has been told to make us feel welcome.

    Guess what I don't feel very welcomed.

    You think my threads are stupid? Fuck you. I think your threads are stupid so fuck me too.

    Get what I'm gettin at? It's all subjective.

    G&T style chat threads and SE++ style chat threads ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT in terms of how they are run.

    Bamelin on
  • Options
    BranduilBranduil Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Disco11 wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    Tee-hee, the SE clique. All we have are in-jokes. Once you understand them then you'll be fine. Of course, that comes from reading and not immediately making threads reminding people that another forum is putting up it's tent. But, oh, hey, lets not actually make an effort or anything.

    Isin't that the problem the the mods had with g&t's chat thread?? That it was a clique and full of in jokes?? Ahh yes... From " the new forum order thead"" The chat thread is not a friendly place. You've turned it into a cesspool of in-jokes and stupid anime screencaps. If someone new comes in there, if you don't like the cut of someone's gib, you yell at them. You were turning Games and Technology into SE++ lite. My favorite word to describe the overall air of the place is xenophobic. The forum is called Games and Technology for a reason. It's time we got back to a time when we actually talked about games and/or technology. Don't make me rename the forum Spite and Vitriol. "

    Yes, but they are mostly forum wide things, and it's more reference than anything else. Knowing what mrhands or uglytits is useful, but not paramount. We don't have in-jokes that exist in one specific thread and nowhere else. It's more community knowledge.

    It's okay to be xenophobic and a clique as long as it's spread over the entire subforum the mods favor. It's only bad when it's contained in a single thread.

    Branduil on
    mcc for admin

    I blame Whippy
This discussion has been closed.