As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Question About SE++ Chat Threads

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:
    Can I post a "What is your favorite gaming chair" thread in the D&D forums? I'm really don't think D&D is meant for G&T style chatting.
    Do it in such a way that it conforms to D&D's rules, and you may be able to.

However, I cannot picture a "what is your favorite gaming chair" thread that conforms to D&D's rules.

So where does it fit? I just want to have a simple chat about gaming chairs. It doesn't fit in G&T according to the new rules. I'm gathing the topic was considered "stupid" in SE++. D&D it probaly doesn't fit.

Alot of G&T chat revolved around stuff like this.

It was a lousy thread.
    Not only was it lousy, it was part of a trio of lousy threads you made with "What is your favorite ____ for gaming" thread in SE++.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    I currently use a shitty-ass folding chair at my computer. I was honestly looking forward to some chair reccomendations before I noticed the thread was locked.
    Make an H/A thread.

I will personally guarantee that an appropriately-worded H/A thread to that effect will fly.

Finding the appropriate words is so difficult. Apathy... setting in...

[spoiler:e57d899010]This is why I don't have a better gaming chair, I guess.[/spoiler:e57d899010]

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:
    Can I post a "What is your favorite gaming chair" thread in the D&D forums? I'm really don't think D&D is meant for G&T style chatting.
    Do it in such a way that it conforms to D&D's rules, and you may be able to.

However, I cannot picture a "what is your favorite gaming chair" thread that conforms to D&D's rules.

So where does it fit? I just want to have a simple chat about gaming chairs. It doesn't fit in G&T according to the new rules. I'm gathing the topic was considered "stupid" in SE++. D&D it probaly doesn't fit.

Alot of G&T chat revolved around stuff like this.

It was a lousy thread.
    Not only was it lousy, it was part of a trio of lousy threads you made with "What is your favorite ____ for gaming" thread in SE++.

Actually alot of people were posting in them. In the drinks thread I saw tons of pics of pops and flavours I'd never heard of. Alot of G&T'ers AND SE++ were posting in all 3 threads. Admittadly there was some hate, but people were trying to get along. Maybe the threads were lousy to YOU, but alot of people enjoyed them. Like I've said countless times, "stupid" is completely subjective, G&T and SE++ use different criteria to decide if something is stupid.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:
    It was a lousy thread.
    This I don't agree with, and I think is one of the irreconcilable differences between G&T and SE++
    This, I do agree with. You did kind of spam those topics there. I'm pretty sure if you were to make a similar thread later on, by itself, with a more fleshed out post, it would be looked upon more favorably.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:
    Sheriff wrote:
    tynic wrote:
    Sliver wrote:
    What if, (God forbid) I have a serious thread I want to post that doesn't fit in any of the other forums?
    If it's a serious thread, what's wrong with D&D?

D&D.

Shit: Beaten by the TheGreat2nd.

D&D is not in the Chat forums though. Where can we have a chat thread that stays semi on topic while allowing for the occasional 2 or 3 page off topicity?
    Have you ever fucking read D&D? I mean seriously. We will go into Spontaneous Buttsecks Mode in the middle of a light-hearted though serious thread on a very regular basis.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    xzzy wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:
    t xzzy: Your more recent post states you would never touch "the lameness that is SE++" So your opinion went from elitist...to more elitist?
    I can do whatever I want in my head, thank you for asking.

I'll just be more polite about it when talking to other people.
    So, given that you've decided "in your head" that no one intelligent would ever want to post in SE++, why would we want to listen to any of your opinions on it?

Who said you had to? I'm not sure audience acceptability is a prerequisite for posting on the internet.

It's just an issue I have opinions about, and this seemed like the place to voice them since a bunch of other people are doing the same thing. While it's a fair assertion to say that the G&T people have been pretty immature about it all day, they did have the carpet yanked from under them and had to put up with Cardboard Tube trolling the chat thread all morning.

It's since been made clear to me that nothing anyone says is going to change anything, so I've mellowed out. If you don't consider convincing someone to be polite to be some kind of progress, well, sorry. I still have complaints with what SE is, but am agreeing to stay quiet about them from here on out, and find some way to fit in to the new regime.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    I currently use a shitty-ass folding chair at my computer. I was honestly looking forward to some chair reccomendations before I noticed the thread was locked.
    Make an H/A thread.

I will personally guarantee that an appropriately-worded H/A thread to that effect will fly.

heh I've never been to H/A. I'll check it out.

I'm lucky I have 360 arcadians to fall back on but I know alot of the G&T Chat thread people feel like they are all going to have to go to seperate forums and not be able to talk to their friends anymore, not without looking through every single forum and thread to find each other's posts.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:
    It was a lousy thread.
    This I don't agree with, and I think is one of the irreconcilable differences between G&T and SE++
    This, I do agree with. You did kind of spam those topics there. I'm pretty sure if you were to make a similar thread later on, by itself, with a more fleshed out post, it would be looked upon more favorably.

this is the key right here. Multiple threads in SE++ with nearly identical topics are doomed.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:
    It was a lousy thread.

this is the key right here. Multiple threads in SE++ with nearly identical topics are doomed.

I posted two of them on Saturday, and the last one Sunday night.

But fair enough, yes I was testing some boundaries and the waters but I didn't think I'd done a "lockthisthread" type offence. Shit there are dozens of threads in SE++ that are 10 times worse than anything I did.

The gaming chair one (which was the first one) still got flamed mercilessly. The drink one actually had some really good replies ... but mixed in with good posts were some really ugly posting with shitty flaming and foul mouthed vulgarness.

It's the vulgarness I can't stand about SE++. Some people love it, and don't take it seriously/personally, but for me I'd rather chat with people that aren't so prone to flaming.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:
    It was a lousy thread.

But fair enough, yes I was testing some boundaries and the waters but I didn't think I'd done a "lockthisthread" type offence. Shit there are dozens of threads in SE++ that are 10 times worse than anything I did.

The gaming chair one (which was the first one) still got flamed mercilessly. The drink one actually had some really good replies ... but mixed in with good posts were some really ugly posting with shitty flaming and foul mouthed vulgarness.

It's the vulgarness I can't stand about SE++. Some people love it, and don't take it seriously/personally, but for me I can't stand it.

It doesn't matter which is the first one. No one is going to compare the post ID numbers. All that matters is that you have more than one on the first page. If that happens, it is the End Days.

Edit: As for the swearing, I can't give helpful advice for you to just overlook it. You have already stated that for some unknown reason, you are incapable.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:

It's the vulgarness I can't stand about SE++. Some people love it, and don't take it seriously/personally, but for me I can't stand it.
    If swearing bothers you that much, I really don't think this is the forum for you.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    What was it before SE?

The Pit of Hate?

Also, to SE++ as a general whole: TOUGH IT THE FUCK OUT. G&TERS THAT CHAT LIKE THEY DO HAVE BEEN MOVED TO YOUR LAND. ARE YOU PALESTINE?

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Cymoro wrote:
    What was it before SE?

The Pit of Hate?

Also, to SE++ as a general whole: TOUGH IT THE FUCK OUT. G&TERS THAT CHAT LIKE THEY DO HAVE BEEN MOVED TO YOUR LAND. ARE YOU PALESTINE?

Oh God, don't bring politics into this, even in analogy form. It'll just be depressing. =(

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Athenor wrote:
    Oh God, don't bring politics into this, even in analogy form. It'll just be depressing. =(

Seconded.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2006
    Cymoro wrote:
    What was it before SE?

The Pit of Hate?

Nope. Pit of Hate was abolished before M2 was shut down, and became CoT on another forum.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Cymoro wrote:
    What was it before SE?
    The Pit of Hate?

Please, please tell me that you did not just implicitly compare the G&T chat threaders' problems to the Holocaust. Because I'm pretty sure you did.

I'd swear that means I get to invoke Godwin...

Thanatos on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Cymoro wrote:
    What was it before SE?
    The Pit of Hate?

Please, please tell me that you did not just implicitly compare the G&T chat threaders' problems to the Holocaust. Because I'm pretty sure you did.

Its cool man, its just bait. We wait for some idiot to carry on the analogy as if it in any way works, and then we ban them for being unutterably retarded. And for good measure, we hire a burly guy named Kevin to go to their house and confiscate their keyboard, because good god.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Ghost Rider 2099Ghost Rider 2099 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The Cat wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Cymoro wrote:
    What was it before SE?
    The Pit of Hate?

Its cool man, its just bait. We wait for some idiot to carry on the analogy as if it in any way works, and then we ban them for being unutterably retarded. And for good measure, we hire a burly guy named Kevin to go to their house and confiscate their keyboard, because good god.

What is the opposite of moderation? That is what I just read above. But very tactical. Except you are talking about it like you enjoy banning people. Banning any one should be a sad affair.

Ghost Rider 2099 on
    5.gifCrackdown_21.thumbnail.jpgI follow console news because it's fun, like tracking the rivalries in what was once called the World Wrestling Federation. There are larger than life characters. There are signature techniques.
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2006
    The Cat wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Cymoro wrote:
    What was it before SE?
    The Pit of Hate?

What is the opposite of moderation? That is what I just read above. But very tactical. Except you are talking about it like you enjoy banning people. Banning any one should be a sad affair.

Banning people is necessary and good and the masses rejoice because the bad man went away.

A duck! on
  • Options
    Ghost Rider 2099Ghost Rider 2099 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    The Cat wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Cymoro wrote:
    What was it before SE?
    The Pit of Hate?

Banning people is necessary and good and the masses rejoice because the bad man went away.

All humans are bad. Some just are a little abrasive to social interaction.

Ghost Rider 2099 on
    5.gifCrackdown_21.thumbnail.jpgI follow console news because it's fun, like tracking the rivalries in what was once called the World Wrestling Federation. There are larger than life characters. There are signature techniques.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Why? I mean, it's cute that you like dropping platitudes like that, but if you're going to say something like that, you need to, y'know, back it up somehow, rather than just tossing it out like it's self-evident.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:

If I recall, duck doesn't like liming, but I am willing to risk his ire for this statement.

Edit:

inquest-agent-smith.jpg

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    One of my buds put it this way:
    there seems to be a definite lack of understanding between the two forums. The mods in G&T are saying "well, just take this talk of yours down to SE++" and the mods and all the other posters down there are saying "whoa there, this kind of posting doesn't belong down here, go somewhere else." What's worse is these people in SE++ are basically telling people who have nowhere to post "hey, you can come down here but you can't post. You need to lurk and understand exactly how it works down here before you can think about posting." And their mods are going along with it. It seems very inconsiderate to me.

This is what is causing alot of the angst and frustration.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I decry the description of this place as a dictatorship.

But I would go bat-shit insane if this forum didn't have the ability to kick people out via bannings. It's like when someone trespasses on private property... It's not better to leave them to wander around unattended.

.. I've always wondered if the mods have the ability to not just ban posting, but ban viewings as well. I know it's extreme, and would probably take admin level powers... but it's still something I wonder about.

Edit: BTW, I'm very glad this is a rational description, Holocaust idiot above aside. I was worried we wouldn't have a place to discuss this.. and I'm very glad I noticed the "moved" tag, because I would have never fathomed this debate existing in the Monkey's Den... A place I always just associated with seeing who has been banned/jailed.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Athenor wrote:
    I decry the description of this place as a dictatorship.

But I would go bat-shit insane if this forum didn't have the ability to kick people out via bannings. It's like when someone trespasses on private property... It's not better to leave them to wander around unattended.

.. I've always wondered if the mods have the ability to not just ban posting, but ban viewings as well. I know it's extreme, and would probably take admin level powers... but it's still something I wonder about.
    Yes, we do. It's called an IP ban.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2006

I'm taking the piss, Captain Brains.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The Cat wrote:

I'm taking the piss, Captain Brains.

shit guys, I totally forgot to add in a smiley up there.

oh well.

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Question for the mods: Is there any chance in hell of G&T Chatters, G&T Console Chatters, getting their own Chat forum located in the CHAT FORUM section of PA, with G&T style rules applied to these new chat forums?

I personally take on the challenge of modding such a new chat forum with glee. (well I'd be the first to volunteer at least)

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    No. And you will never, ever be a mod.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:
    Question for the mods: Is there any chance in hell of G&T Chatters, G&T Console Chatters, getting their own Chat forum located in the CHAT FORUM section of PA, with G&T style rules applied to these new chat forums?

I personally take on the challenge of modding such a new chat forum with glee. (well I'd be the first to volunteer at least)
    The chance of that sort of subforum appearing is orders of magnitude greater than the chance of you ever being a mod.

Which is to say, while I don't have any authority in the matter, I really, really doubt it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    The Cat wrote:
    No. And you will never, ever be a mod.

Wonderful, I'll take the forums then.

=)

(Seriously though there's no need to be condenscending about the mod request thing. I know I'm only a lowly peon not even close to your majestic glory, but I honestly just want to help out and that is where the request came from)

Bamelin on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Just no.

For a quick to-do: SE++ is a chat forum and always has been. If you can't handle the fact most posters there will humiliate you with witty insults and image macros if you post something stupid (especially if you SPAM something stupid repeatedly) don't post there. SE++ is however for generally chatting and such forth. Just because there isn't one huge thread with [chat] in the title in SE++ doesn't change that fact.

If you want to post something more serious or have involved discussion, post it in D&D, because you know, it's what it's there for. On-topic discussion on various stuff (with derailments eventually into other areas after a while, but generally on-topic).

If you have a question like "What chair should I buy", H/A is definitely a really good forum to go to as that's what its there for (Not just for girl problems and threads where you wonder if it's normal to find your mom attractive).

Etc.

Use some common sense.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm starting to see how the mods are seeing this, and on some levels, I guess I can even agree that the G&T chat thread is what the SE is, other than being inside the G&T. The rational in canning the 360 and the DS thread, however, is something I don't agree with. In my experience, many newbies started lurking and started posting within those threads as there are long track records of what is acceptable, what isn't acceptable, and who's friendly and not friendly around. Canning those threads, I think, is going to hurt G&T's appeal in the long run.

But I will stop arguing with because at this point, mods have made up their mind and no amount or future forcasting about doom and gloom will change anyones minds. I guess the official policy is that we're no longer allowed to be cheerleaders for any systems, just games. If you really want to talk about a specific system, this is no longer the forum for you.

AlphaTwo on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:
    (Seriously though there's no need to be condenscending about the mod request thing. I know I'm only a lowly peon not even close to your majestic glory, but I honestly just want to help out and that is where the request came from)
    Take my word for it - People requesting the mod position in any way will automatically be turned down for it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:
    I'm lucky I have 360 arcadians to fall back on but I know alot of the G&T Chat thread people feel like they are all going to have to go to seperate forums and not be able to talk to their friends anymore, not without looking through every single forum and thread to find each other's posts.

Look, Bamelin, here's the way I see it.

Firstly, the chat thread. In principle, this was a great idea but critically flawed by design. The principle - have athred in G&T dedicated to pure social networking, thus boosting the social integration of forumers, making the forum a friendlier place.

Having a solitary chat thread meant that it moved extremly quickly. The only people that kept up with it were those who dedicated the majority of their forum time to reading and posting in it. As such you get two negative situations occuring. Firstly, it becomes a clique. Most people can't be arsed keeping up so stop reading and posting in it all together. The few that do keep up contribute little or not at all to any other content in the forum - as such, the chat thread posters get to know nobody but themselves and nobody else in the forum knows who the fuck they are (there are excpetions, but on the whole the people I've noticed complaining I've never even seen before now, and I get around). Secondly, it becomes unmoddable. It moves so fast that any questionable content is buried so quickly that unless you have one mod who dedicates all his time to reading the chat thread, it gets missed. And because the chat thread posters are cliquey to begin with they are unlikely to inform on each other, so the first it gets noticed is when a noob stumbles into it by chance.

Secondly, the megathreads. Again, these were a great idea in principle but unworkable in practice. Having a single thread dedicated to such a vast amount of information as is contained within a solitary topic such as a new console launch is simply unmanageable. It's like keeping every single file on your computer in a root directory. Fine to begin with but cumbersome and inefficient once the information builds up. Again, you end up with a thread that only a few die-hards bother to follow religiously and in the end the thread serves a handfull of the population whilst restricting the greater population from starting smaller, more focused threads dealing with specifics of a console.

I don't know if this ruling is going to extend to game on style megathreads. I think that they are focused enough that they still work well, plus they aren't just a depository for geekish levels of information, but are started by people eager to get more people playing a specific game and as such the regulars in thsoe threads are more likely to help out new posters with questions that may have already been answered.

The net result is, that while megathreads were originally intended to both foster more of a community spirit and make the content more menageable and accessible, they not only failed at that task but actually exacerbated the situation. The chat thread ended up being a niche hole for a tiny minority (not to mention being a redundant feature as we have a whole subforum dedicated to chat) and the megathreads became mroe difficult to retrieve relavent information than having several threads all dealing with different facets of the same overarching topic.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    BranduilBranduil Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I like how people who have no idea what they're talking about keep commenting on the chat thread. It's like they never actually read it, they just got info from secondhand sources.

Branduil on
    mcc for admin

I blame Whippy
  • Options
    AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Secondly, the megathreads. Again, these were a great idea in principle but unworkable in practice. Having a single thread dedicated to such a vast amount of information as is contained within a solitary topic such as a new console launch is simply unmanageable. It's like keeping every single file on your computer in a root directory. Fine to begin with but cumbersome and inefficient once the information builds up. Again, you end up with a thread that only a few die-hards bother to follow religiously and in the end the thread serves a handfull of the population whilst restricting the greater population from starting smaller, more focused threads dealing with specifics of a console..
    The amount of people coming out of the woodworks in the DS thread saying that it has been helpful to them in both regarding the system and learning the ropes of how G&T works totally shoots down the "die-hards" theory.

But then again, it's canned either way. I guess I should look forward to checking 20 threads about the DS instead.

AlphaTwo on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I'm liking SE++, I'm just getting into it slowly.

Athenor on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The few that do keep up contribute little or not at all to any other content in the forum - as such, the chat thread posters get to know nobody but themselves and nobody else in the forum knows who the fuck they are (there are excpetions, but on the whole the people I've noticed complaining I've never even seen before now, and I get around).
    I read the chat thread quite a lot. I'm just going to assume that you're pulling this part almost completely out of your ass. There are a lot of chat threads that haven't been pruned yet, so I figure if this is really the case someone could dig through them and point this out for us.

There were some posters that didn't get out of the chat thread much. They were the exception, not the rule. I don't own a 360 or play PC games, so the only time I end up seeing a lot of people who play only those games is, surprise, in the chat thread. Doesn't mean they aren't active elsewhere on the forum.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    I opposed them when they were proposed and have advocated their removal dozens of times.

Me too.

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.