Options

Moment of The Week 08-27-08

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Blue Beetle rocked.

"Possible theological ramifications."
    I wonder if that's a reminder that The Spectre is keeping an eye on Jaime?

I enjoyed it a lot, but it seemed a bit off. Some of the jokes clunked just a little, and La Dama seemed just a little off too. The story was great though, and the issue was very funny.
    I really enjoyed the miniature golf bit. From Paco being mistaken for Blue Beetle to the expression on his face when Jaime is flying off above them, it was full of win. Poor Brenda!

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I liked this BB issue more than the previous one. I hope Sturges can keep it up.

Lux on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My MotW was reading the entirety of Y: the Last Man in one sitting. Pausing once to use the bathroom, and once more to make dinner.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I was confused by the OMD references in Spider-Man. Do they mean anything, or were they just supposed to be cute?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think that's a lot of people's question. I'd lean towards being cute, but if they were just being cute, that's annoying.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I like to imagine it's the writers' developing some anarchist "damn the [Joe Q] Man" take on the book which would make it worth reading despite the plot and "art."

My moments of the week included picking up last weeks books and getting a healthy dose of Captain America as well as Wildcats being thoroughly awesome this month.
    What with majestic's pragmatic, if somewhat fascist plan to rebuild the earth in the image of how he remember khera before that planet went all to hell and the fact that Spartan just completely dismantles the holes in maj's plans to his face.

The backstory is continuing to build up to a reassembled team 7 which can't be a bad thing, you know to some people.

Seriously more people should be reading (or at least browsing) these books. I know they have a stigma from the Wildstorm reboot a few years ago but the current wildstorm is a completely different beast (with less Grant Morrison and for a change that's a good thing).

EDIT: And Anti-MoTW is being pretty sure I'm dropping Iron Fist at the end of this arc... which is a sad day in my comic reading life. If marvel wanted to just cancel the book they could have let it go out on top with some class.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

EDIT: And Anti-MoTW is being pretty sure I'm dropping Iron Fist at the end of this arc... which is a sad day in my comic reading life. If marvel wanted to just cancel the book they could have let it go out on top with some class.

Wait what, why what is happening?

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Was anyone else very disappointed in Amazing Spider-Man this week? I mean, I was so excited at the end of last week's issue and then they drop the ball right away.
    I suppose I can deal with Norman not knowing Parker is Spider-Man, but the symbiote? Really?

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Wait what, why what is happening?

He's dumb and the book is still good.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Travel Foreman draws good action, I just don't like the way he draws people

I'm really enjoying Duane whatshisname's take though, between this book and Cable I'm becoming a big fan of him.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, don't listen to the naysayers, Iron Fist is still great. Art aside, I've hardly noticed the change.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I like the way he writes Misty

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There was a change in writers? See i've read everything up to current and i was hells of digging it.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm not gonna lie, First read through it I was very disappointed but I read through it again this morning and figured out what my problems were.

seems they're mostly art issues
    the back-up artist made the ch'i-lin guy look like an alien frog thing while foreman in the rest of the book makes it look like that dragon that he talks to in the mirror that is apparently inhabiting the body. It just seems like the green face is drawn differently every time so it was hard for me to reconcile the different versions in to whatever it actually is.

Foreman's feet are tiny. Way too small to support standing, plus after the fight danny is all of a sudden huge and ripped and when they show orson on the bed he has a giant chest and small hands and feet and long thin legs. It just doesn't make sense.

Story-wise i thoroughly enjoyed it and for the most part the art is good.

I think the first time through I just took it all in felt vaguely disappointed but wasn't sure why. After I realized what my problems are I enjoyed it a whole lot more.

What they hinted at Orson's way of escaping the killer could turn out really good or kinda bad.
    as long as heroin isn't ch'i-lin's one weakness i think I'll be fine with it but it would be really good if it turned out that's just what Orson thought had kept him alive when there was really something completely different that he had done that saved his life (maybe like when he ran instead of fighting. Like the dragon has to kill the iron fists in a mutual fight. Which he kind of hinted at by saying he's make sure danny didn't run away) and it would really just make Orson's fall that much more sad and powerful I think

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    There was a change in writers? See i've read everything up to current and i was hells of digging it.

The birthday issue was Fraction's last

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    my moment of the week actually just happened when amazon finally delivered the Herbie Archives.

Herbie is the best character ever

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    my moment of the week actually just happened when amazon finally delivered the Herbie Archives.

The Love Bug?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I was confused by the OMD references in Spider-Man. Do they mean anything, or were they just supposed to be cute?
    They're not references to to the deal, it's referencing a currently unknown series of events that occurred after May got shot (who was likely now healed by Li) in the altered timeline. Peter found a method to conceal his identity after the events of Civil War, likely with the help of someone like Dr. Strange.

Dan's next arc will be exploring some of these mysteries.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

The Love Bug?
    The Fat Fury!

Wildcat on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Was anyone else very disappointed in Amazing Spider-Man this week? I mean, I was so excited at the end of last week's issue and then they drop the ball right away.
    I suppose I can deal with Norman not knowing Parker is Spider-Man, but the symbiote? Really?

Yeah, that does sound pretty weak.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My moment of the week was finally buying long boxes to store my comics (I'm moving soon) and needing to go back to get another since I just filled three....

Those fuckers weigh quite a lot.

(at an estimated 300 per box, that's about 1000 single issues. And I still need to pack my trades/hardcovers...)

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    My moment of the week was finally buying long boxes to store my comics (I'm moving soon) and needing to go back to get another since I just filled three.... :shocked:

Those fuckers weigh quite a lot.

(at an estimated 300 per box, that's about 1000 single issues. And I still need to pack my trades/hardcovers...)

They are quite heavy. I think I have 6-8 of them full and could probably fill another 3-4. Someday I'm going to have to organize my collection better, but I do not welcome that day (it'll also have to be when I'm out of the parents house, as last time I attempted that it did not go over well).

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, about half of my stuff is loosely sorted by type (so Avengers stuff, X-titles etc)

I've been buying 75% of the weekly marvel stuff since last July, I think it works out to 10-20 issues a week.

At 3 long boxes a year... I'm going to have quite a bit more in a couple years... and I want to start going back and back filling runs. Damn!

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, about half of my stuff is loosely sorted by type (so Avengers stuff, X-titles etc)

I've been buying 75% of the weekly marvel stuff since last July, I think it works out to 10-20 issues a week.

At 3 long boxes a year... I'm going to have quite a bit more in a couple years... and I want to start going back and back filling runs. Damn!

Yea, it gets to the point where I'm really starting to run out of room and really don't know where I'll store all of my stuff if I keep collecting in such a way that I have been the last few years >_>

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So that Ultimate Wolverine, Colossus thing was a crack at the still unfinished Hulk/Wolvey cross over right?

(And is that ever coming out?)

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm confused, does Spidey know that BND happened?

His dialogue makes it sound like he knows that Osborn USED to know who he is.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    He dosen't remember the deal with Mephisto, but it appears that there is going to be a seperate reason why people don't remember his identity that he does recall, and they arent going with the Geoff Johns Flash way of doing it

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Definitely Blue Beetle for me, I don't comprehend you people who are dropping the book due to the next writer. He's not Johns, but we've still got something fairly solid.
    After defeating a bunch of magnetically powered villains by creating a giant electromagnet:

"Consider yourselves defeated, and nerds of the world take note:

I did it with SCIENCE!"

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2008
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    So that Ultimate Wolverine, Colossus thing was a crack at the still unfinished Hulk/Wolvey cross over right?

I think Lindelof turned in his last issue recently.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Honestly, every few pages of Brit was a moment of the week.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »

I think Lindelof turned in his last issue recently.

I'm pretty sure Joe Q has said that after Yu is done with SI he will draw the rest of the Wolverine/Hulk issues

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    He dosen't remember the deal with Mephisto, but it appears that there is going to be a seperate reason why people don't remember his identity that he does recall, and they arent going with the Geoff Johns Flash way of doing it

They could've made it clearer. I thought that whoever had wrote the issue hadn't been following and thought Peter knew because thats certainly what I thought after reading that segment.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was sort of confused that even the symbiote didn't know, but then I remembered OMD. D:

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Wait, the symbiote suit doesn't remember who Peter is?!

Then... why is Venom still Venom!?

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

It's mag*bang*

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ambush Bug
    AmbushBug2-1.jpg
    This book needed a lot more satire and a lot less insular fan jokes, but the Beetle stuff was pretty funny.

Blue Beetle is better under Sturges than it ever was under Rogers or Giffen. Just my opinion, but in just two issues he's totally nailed the tone and begun building an interesting plot. It's a shame it'll probably be canceled soon, and Beetle will be relegated to appearances in Teen Titans under McKeever.
    Two villains from last issue show up to pester Jaime.

BlueBeetle1-1.jpg

Meet Paco's family.

BlueBeetle1-2.jpg

BlueBeetle1-3.jpg

Iron Fist continues to be packed to the gills with badass fight scenes and clever dialogue.
    Here's a portion of a two page fight spread. I really love Colleen's attire here.

IronFistA-1.jpg

Hawkman had some great moments in Justice Society of America this week.
    JSAA-1.jpg

Assuming Damage's face doesn't get all fucked up again, I think this little subplot could end up pretty fun. I love Grant's dumb smile in the last panel.

JSAA-2.jpg

She-Hulk had some neat moments but nothing outstanding. I'm mainly posting this for a funny little moment and the gorgeous art that's been present for the past two issues, which has totally reinvigorated my interest in the title.
    SheHulkA-1.jpg

Superman Beyond, while occasionally incomprehensible, had some great moments.
    SupermanBeyond1.jpg

Yes, Ultraman is such a badass that he beats up badass spaceships with other badasses.

SupermanBeyond2.jpg

I just really love Captain Marvel here. God, I miss the classic Captain Marvel family. Fuck you Winick. Fuck you Didio.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

all that stuff still happaned he way it did before

but something happaned between then and now to make the symbiote forget who Spider-Man is

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So now there's some other thing, aside from the Mephisto deal, that made Normie and the Symbiote forget Peter Parker = Spider-man, and we just haven't been told what it is yet? Is that correct?

FCD on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, it seems redundant.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So are Normie and the Symbiote freaking the fuck out about the huge blank spots in their memories regarding their archenemy/former host-body? And if not, why?

FCD on