As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Surf On] Audiosurf Tournament 2: Electric Boogaloo

CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
Audiosurf.jpg

What is Audiosurf?

Audiosurf is a rhythm game created by the magnificent Dylan Fitterer. It works by taking any song you’ve got a sound file for, and then generating a track filled with different coloured blocks in 3 to 4 distinct rows. These rows can be navigated freely, but the notes are rigidly aligned. Navigation is done by a spaceship of your choosing; there are fourteen unique spaceships in three difficulty tiers. The higher the difficulty, the more complicated the spaceship is to use. Have a look at those tiers!
Spaceships.jpg

Hang on. A track? Generated by a song? Yes, it does sound odd, but check out these two videos to get an idea of how it works.

This isn't so hard.

Seizures ahoy!

Interested yet? Spaceships are controlled by using a keyboard, mouse, or game controller. If you’re flying a “Mono” spaceship, hit the coloured notes and dodge the grey ones. If you’re flying any other spaceship, collect combinations of three or more coloured notes, and use your spaceship’s special abilities. A handy little video will tell you about these abilities, which range from storing notes for release later (handy for larger combinations) to jumping skywards to dodge incoming grey notes.

The ranks you saw earlier indicate the difficulties. Casual is fairly sedate, Pro makes things tricky, and Elite will truly test your abilities. Though a certain spaceship may seem to be the best for any given tier, a lot depends on the song as well. Ninja Mono may slaughter in one song, but be unable to get reasonable scores in another. There’s a whole lot of strategy involved for each spaceship, as they’ve all got their nuances.

Whenever you finish navigating the track, your score will be uploaded onto an online leaderboard, where you can see just how well you did. You should be aware that if you become number one, you can be dethroned! An e-mail will be automatically sent to you announcing your dethronement and encouraging you to reclaim your title. So you should, because how dare someone dethrone you.

Did I mention that Audiosurf includes the Orange Box Soundtrack? A soundtrack that includes all the music from all the Half-Life games, Portal, and Team Fortress 2? Well it does.

How about some links! There’s the full version available from Steam for $10.00 US, which is very much worth it. Past deals have sold it for $5.00 US or even $2.49 US, so if you’re not sure about paying the full price, wait and you might be able to snap it up for much less.

Audiosurf on Steam.

Audiosurf demo on Steam.

Official Audiosurf website.
Let’s have a Tournament!

With recent deals being as they were, lot’s of folks have now got Audiosurf. Everyone likes a bit of competition, so here’s my second attempt at an Audiosurf tournament. This time it should run a lot better. :D
How is this going to work?

It will work as follows. Every four days a song will be selected that is completely free. This song will have it’s title modified from “Song Title” to “[PA] Song Title” so that the only scores we see are the scores of other competitors.

There will be three tournament tiers; Casual, Pro, and Elite. For any given song, a score may only be entered for one tier. Don’t be mean by entering a Casual score when you’re clearly at Pro or Elite level. Everyone wants a chance at winning, and it’s no fun if one person dominates all tiers completely.

At the end of four days, three winners will be announced; one Casual, one Pro, and one Elite. The winner is the competitor with the highest score. Ironmode is allowed.

A new song will be selected by popular accord. If you think there’s a song that would be amazing to race on, then tell us. Should there be enough rabble for a certain song, then it’s going to be the next song we all compete on.

Current Tournament Song

"Team Fortress 2" by Valve

Change the name of the song from "01 - Team Fortress 2" to "[PA] Team Fortress 2", and you should be ready to go! To do this just right click on the song file and then select "Properties". Click on the "Summary" tab and rename the song there. :)

Score Submission Deadline

15th of November 9:30 PM American Eastern Standard Time.

Previous Songs

None currently.

Previous Casual Winners

None currently.

Previous Pro Winners

None currently.

Previous Elite Winners
None currently.

steam_sig.png
Carcharodontosaurus on

• Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This. Idea. Is. Awesome.

Everyone should jump on this. I love me some Audiosurf.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I like it.

I may just compete, but I suck and usually only play duel.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I suck at this game, I suck even more on any mode that isn't Mono Car, but I'm addicted to Audiosurf.
    Fuck, I'm in.

WeX Majors on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Don't worry about not being experts at Audiosurf; I only got the game a few days ago, and I'm having a cracking good time. :D

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I will throw my hat in, albeit a tattered, shoddy hat.

AS name is Billy Joel btw.

Kris on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    We could also just add you to our AS friend list and then you could decide the winner by that.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    We could also just add you to our AS friend list and then you could decide the winner by that.

That's an alternative, but by just modifying the title of the song it allows anyone to more or less instantly jump in. Modifying the song title isn't that difficult, and by making a copy you can leave the original untouched.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oooh, looks like I'm about to have even more spare time destroyed by this game...and you know what, I'm very much ok with that :)

Dírhael on
  • Options
    RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I accept the Challenge!

But uh, where are the Orange Box songs located so I can edit the MP3 Tags?

P.S: Next Song should be:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTNBqh7f4j4
    (MP3 Download in the "More Info")

RCagent on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    RCagent wrote: »
    I accept the Challenge!

[url-]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTNBqh7f4j4[/url]

You can find it here:
    X:\Path\To\Steam\steamapps\common\audiosurf\engine\Orange Box Soundtrack\Portal

Dírhael on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I accept the Challenge!

What Dirhael said. The entire Orange Box OST should be there, ready for whatever you want to do with it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTNBqh7f4j4

You want it as the next track, then race your spaceship to victory! However, I'm not sure if it's a legal song. Isn't it a mashup of Rock Band songs, and therefore using material that would otherwise have to be paid for? If that's the case, I'm afraid it's a no go.

Also, I've updated the OP with the closing date for this particular round of spaceship racing; the Saturday after this Saturday. It will give things more time to get rolling, and will work better than starting a new song on Thursday when everyone is tired from work or whatever.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm so in! Pretty sure my Audiosurf name is Dyvion. I'll double check when I get home. My wife loves that song... we've got it on Rockband, she'll get me to play through portal just to hear it... but with this... this may just push her over the edge. Gonna have to find my headphones.

Points Get!

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Damn you Stick FIgure! Damn you and your Pointman!

RCagent on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Damn you Carch. I'm 2 points away from beating your Mono Pro score.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I just noticed. This is going to be a lot closer than I imagined. :D

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm so in (no puns intended <3)

Impersonator on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I just noticed. This is going to be a lot closer than I imagined. :D

I haven't figured out which block you skipped yet.

Kelor on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll have to give this a shot later today, I do enjoy myself some Audiosurf.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Wohoo, 2nd place on my first try on Ninja Mono :P

I'l get yoooooouuuuuu Kelooooor!

By the way, shouldn't we be adding each other's SteamID's?

Impersonator on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I really stink at this game. :D Still awesome and fun!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm terrible at this game, but I plan on trying this when I get home tonight. :D

Arminas on
  • Options
    LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hey, seems I am leading the highest difficulty still (Theon ingame), so should I somehow keep that until the deadline, I propose that this song should be played:

Machinae Supremacy - Hero

This song, as well as a whole bunch of other ones, including the Jets 'n' Guns OST, can be downloaded completely legally from this place: http://www.machinaesupremacy.com/masusite/ugmusic.html

Aaanyways, going away until next Tuesday tomorrow, so have fun audiosurfing :)

Luiane on
    Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
  • Options
    ItnickItnick Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Cool idea, ill give it a shot tonight, but i am so bad at this game.

Itnick on
    Pyrotechnics erupt in the distance, Guitar Solo.

sig.gif
  • Options
    f-k-tf-k-t Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Who tied Carch's mono pro score? Me! I did!

Related question: who wins in the event that several people wind up with the same top score?

(Not that it's likely to be an issue, since only mono players are likely to tie, and our scores will probably be demolished in short order by non-monos.)

f-k-t on
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ninja or die suckas

Apparently I was supposed to delete the 12 also... damnit.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    skace wrote: »
    ninja or die suckas

based on the instructions in the op i'd say the people who deleted the 12 are the ones in the wrong...:P

edit: or at least they were until the op was an asshole and edited the op to change his instructions =p
    it looks like he followed his own instructions wrong, then changed them to make up for it

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, the song's title should be "[PA] Still Alive" :wink:

Impersonator on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is there a link to the current top scores? It generates one when I get those emails, but I don't know if there's a way you can just find a song's top score.

I'm Stick Figure, by the way. I'm glad to hear someone cursing my name!

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    f-k-t wrote: »
    Who tied Carch's mono pro score? Me! I did!

Related question: who wins in the event that several people wind up with the same top score?

(Not that it's likely to be an issue, since only mono players are likely to tie, and our scores will probably be demolished in short order by non-monos.)

Now this is definitely unexpected. :lol: However, ask and you shall recieve;

What happens in the event of a tie?

If there is a tie, then I will randomly select which winner in the tied category will be the winner for the purpose of potential song selection. This will be done in much the same way as when I randomly decide which of the three winners will be selecting the song for next week.
    skace wrote: »
    ninja or die suckas

based on the instructions in the op i'd say the people who deleted the 12 are the ones in the wrong...:P

edit: or at least they were until the op was an asshole and edited the op to change his instructions =p
    it looks like he followed his own instructions wrong, then changed them to make up for it

Mah instructions were fine, boy. Seriously though, the instructions for renaming a song were in the first iteration of the OP and haven't changed since. The actual file name of the MP3 doesn't matter; it's the actual song title that matters, and that will normally be "Still Alive". Even if you rename the MP3 to "HURF DURF HURF DURF", the actual song title it will produce will be "Still Alive". Sorry for any confusion, and if you got a score for the wrong song, then I encourage you to race your spaceship even harder in the proper song. :D
    Bursar wrote: »
    Is there a link to the current top scores? It generates one when I get those emails, but I don't know if there's a way you can just find a song's top score.

I'm Stick Figure, by the way. I'm glad to hear someone cursing my name!

I'll add this question to the OP, but here's the answer;

How do I check the scoreboard for the week's song?

When you're logged into Audiosurf, one of the options you'll get at the top is "Popular Songs". Click on it, and there will be another tab called "My Songs". Whatever song we're racing will be listed there, and by clicking on it you'll be able to see how everyone's doing.

But what if I don't want to log into Audiosurf?

It's a little more difficult, but if you've ever been dethroned you will have an e-mail that links to a simplified updated scoreboard. It should also be constantly updated, so keep the link somewhere and enter it into your browser whenever you want to see how everyone else is doing.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm in

because Audiosurf is funnnnn

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    For everyone's reference:

Pro scores

Elite scores

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, no need to worry about that Pro tie anymore, now I just need to catch that crazy Eraser score on Elite

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    FishFish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Good luck with that :P

Fish on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Bursar wrote: »
    For everyone's reference:

Pro scores

Elite scores

Thanks Bursar! I'll add the links to the OP.

Also, I'm glad the tie isn't an issue for the moment. I'll keep the mechanism for resolving a tie, but as predicted another spaceship has defeated the mighty jumping Mono Pro. Keep it up everyone! :D

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    arrr you guys are too good

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't think that ties would be all that much of an issue anyway. We're all PAers and most competitions tend to go fairly smoothly when its just between us.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Kelor wrote: »
    I don't think that ties would be all that much of an issue anyway. We're all PAers and most competitions tend to go fairly smoothly when its just between us.

Oh, I know we're all good spirited lads and lasses here at PA, but I feel it would be invoking Murphy's Law to not at least have the mechanics to resolve a draw. If this goes on for long enough I guarantee it's going to happen at some point. :P

I will reclaim my Pro score! Mono Pro can only take me so far. It's time to investigate other spaceships...

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Trying now... hoo boy wait, how come we don't have the "I'm a noob" scoreboard. The uh, easiest setting?

...oh.. my . god. I didn't even break 10000, people have four times that :(

Arminas on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Arminas wrote: »
    Trying now... hoo boy wait, how come we don't have the "I'm a noob" scoreboard. The uh, easiest setting?

It depends on what spaceship you're using. Mono, Mono Pro, and Ninja Mono all have a limit to their score because they rely on dodging all the grey blocks. Other spaceships require more puzzle like thought to combine all the colours properly.

Don't worry though. I only got this game a few days ago, and I'm doing quite well in Pro. Just practice, enjoy the music, and gawk at all the pretty colours. :D

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Arminas wrote: »

Here you go: Link to the "casual" scoreboard

Dírhael on