As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pokémon- You can never catch them all!

InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
edited September 2008 in Games and Technology
OP by RockinX and perhaps others

NOW SOME GENERAL BATTLING RULES. WITH CAPS

- Pokémon battles through Wi-fi automatically level your Pokémon to either levels 50 or 100. So you don't have to train them to level 100 yourself, saving a lot of time.
-Sleep Clause: you may not put more than one of your opponent's Pokémon to sleep at a time.
-Species Clause: your team must be comprised of six different species of Pokémon.
-Item Clause: No two Pokémon on your team may be holding the same item.
-Suicide Clause: If both players are down to their last Pokémon, the player with the first Pokémon to hit 0 HP is the loser. In other words, using moves like Self Destruct and Explosion cause you to lose, even if it kills your opponent. However, using a move with a recoil that kill both you and your opponent is a win for you.
-No Legendary Pokémon whatsoever.
-No Wobbuffet. You may ask "Wynaut?", but you should already know.
-No Garchomp. You may ask "Wynaut?", and I really couldn't tell you.

Pokémon Resources:

PokéMart: All Pokémon trading can be done here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=25308. READ THE RULES

Strategies that have been proven useful

GameFAQs, links posted by Kay
Natures Chart.

Pokédex.

General Breeding/Customization FAQ.

Pokédexes
Psypokes
Serebii's Pokédex
Marriland's Pokedex
Veekun -Narian
PokeGoons -Angrylinuxgeek

IV Calculators
Metal Kid's IV Calculator
Serebii's IV Calculator
Psypokes' IV Calculator

Team Builder
Marriland's Pokémon Team Builder - Figure out your team's strengths and weaknesses!

EV Training
Psypokés' Guide
Serebii's

Art Resources
Sprites from every game
Ken Sugimori art of every Pokémon

Community
Smogon is big on competitive battling

Serebii forums will melt your soul. Beware.

Wi-Fi Help
FAQ on trading and GTS
Serebii has one for battling

Everything
Bulbapedia... everything about Pokémon. Has high traffic, so load times will be long-ish

And now, some useless knowledge!

- Pokémon is a made-up composite word.
- None of the Pokémons' names change in Spanish translations from either continent, yet, they change in France, Italy and some others. Oh yeah, Latin America hasn't got the Spain Spanish translation since the RBY days, by the way.
- Ledian is based on Pulseman, which is a character from another game made by Game Freak, but it was released on the Genesis/Mega Drive.
- Pulseman's nemesis was the Galaxy Gang. Sound familiar?
- Garchomp is one tough motherfucker. Don't be an ass by mixing it with Tyranitar.
- If you evolve a Pokémon with a Japanese name on an American GBA cart, and that name was the default one, it will keep its name. But if you do that on DP, its name will be the evolution's. It won't change if it's an actual nickname, though.
- Infernape is based on Sun Wukong, a character from a very old Chinese Book called Journey to the West. Sun Wukong is pronounced Son Goku in Japanese, and he bore a staff while flying on a cloud.

And now, some slightly more useful knowledge.

- You can get new wallpapers for your boxes in Jubilife City's TV station. Details here.
- Pokémon Battle Revolution sucks, unless you can find it for cheap.
- Pokémon Ranch: Pokémon go in, what comes out? MOTHERFUCKERS!
- You can check an Eggs Nature before it hatches. Heres how.
This isn't a hack, it's more a glitch in the game. It's a very useful glitch.

First, save before you pick up an egg from the Day Care Center, then head to a PC. I use the one in the Day Care Center, 'cause it's right there.

Now, you need two empty boxes next to each other, so that you can switch quickly from one to the other with L and R. Put your egg in the first position in one box, switch to the box next to it (via L or R), and place a hatched Pokémon in first position in this new box, so that it's in the same position as the egg.

Next, use L or R to switch to the box with the Pokémon in it. Hover your cursor over said Pokémon, and you'll notice that a) the cursor will bounce, and b) a display at the bottom left will give you the Pokémon's item, then type, then nature, then ability, before cycling through to item again. Get a feel for the rhythm (it's about four and a half bounces of the cursor between changes, roughly), then switch from the box with the Pokémon in it to the box with the egg in it, just before the display changes from Type to Nature. If you've timed it right, you'll see the Nature of the Pokémon in the egg for a brief second before it clears. If you're too soon, you may see the egg's Type briefly instead. Practice makes perfect! You can do the same for Ability too, by timing it just as the display shifts from Nature to Ability on the Pokémon.

If the egg has the wrong nature or ability, simply soft-reset (L+R+Select+Start), talk to the Day Care guy, and tell him you don't want it. You have to say no to every option, or he gives it to you. Nature and Ability are set when the egg is laid, IVs are set when the egg is picked up. This is actually a notable difference. If you save, pick up an egg, and check nature/ability then hatch and check IVs, reload, and do the same, the nature/ability will be the same, but the IVs will be different.

Don't try this at home!

Situation 1: Snorlax gets Yawned by its opponent, and has both Chesto Berry and Rest in its arsenal.

What you shouldn't do: Don't use Rest, because after you've woken up from your Rest by the Chesto Berry, you'll fall asleep again because of the previous Yawn attempt.

Situation 2: You have two guys who both have U-Turn, and one of them has a Choice Item.

What you shouldn't do: If you're going to U-Turn with the Poké that lacks the Choice item, at least don't send out the one that has the Choice item, because U-Turn will be locked to it, and you'll be forced to do it again.

Fear Drifloon!

Drifloon-1.jpg

3DS-3995-6602-5217
NNID-InvisibleInk
InvisibleInk on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    I wanted to put a Youtube video at the top of this, but I couldn't find the scene I wanted.

Rockos Modern Life, when we first meet Ed Bigheads son and he starts shouting NEVER! over and over again.
    Couldn't find it though. You'd think something like that would be very easy to find.
    You have failed me today Youtube!

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    dingus xavierdingus xavier Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Good thread title.

I am a big meanie. This was determined in the last thread and must be recorded for posterity.

dingus xavier on
    Platinum FC:0474 4582 3401
    Steam ID
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    2:32

I like the prophesied lack of brackets in the title.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Whoo, Pokemon! I'm still on my way to beating FireRed.

I'm going to be out at a convention for the rest of the week. We should all have a DS and PBR should be there too. So, hopefully, some battling will occur.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I saw that video Blue, and I didn't like it. I just need those few seconds where he's shouting Never!

Sooooo, people really want to get rid of Item Clause huh? Do I have the power to make the rules?

But I kinda like Item Clause... although Hippowdon could certainly benefit from Leftovers more than a Shell Bell. hmm.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I saw that video Blue, and I didn't like it. I just need those few seconds where he's shouting Never!

Sooooo, people really want to get rid of Item Clause huh? Do I have the power to make the rules?

But I kinda like Item Clause... although Hippowdon could certainly benefit from Leftovers more than a Shell Bell. hmm.

At least make it more reasonable.

Gigaton on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well dang I tried.

Here is a story - once I fought Chen and lots of leftovers were involved and tanks and it made me frustrated and I lost!

But anyway, when it comes to item clause I am kind of "who cares". I am not sure I know enough about how it could "break" things. Uh, but I do frequently wish I could use another leftovers since I usually battle with a physical and special tank. Usually one ends up with a bright powder or quick claw or whatever.

So, my vote is for a possibly foolhardy elimination of item clause. I've not heard a compelling reason as to why it should be around.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    NOW you put an accent (é) to the title.

RockinX on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Here is a story - once I fought Chen and lots of leftovers were involved and tanks and it made me frustrated and I lost!
    When did that happen? I cannot remember the last time I beat you. Actually, I can't remember I beat you at all. Seriously, Starmie and P-Z make me very mad. Grr.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yay, a new Pokemon thread for me to read (but not participate in)!

I wish I had time to fight you guys sometimes.

I always did enjoy wiping the floor with all of you. :wink:

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well dang I tried.

But anyway, when it comes to item clause I am kind of "who cares". I am not sure I know enough about how it could "break" things. Uh, but I do frequently wish I could use another leftovers since I usually battle with a physical and special tank. Usually one ends up with a bright powder or quick claw or whatever.

So, my vote is for a possibly foolhardy elimination of item clause. I've not heard a compelling reason as to why it should be around.

We can always just test for a month to see what battling without item clause is like here. Plus I want to use my multiple life orbs and leftovers >.>

I was a bit surprised to see you guys had item clause here in the first place, as it's definitely not one of the standard clauses around most places.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    RavynBlackheartRavynBlackheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just wish we could use non-Uber Legendaries. My poor Regice is relegated to UU or BL I think and still can't use him. Sad.

RavynBlackheart on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh man, I just realized today that I need to make a Speed Racer team.

Speed Racer- Electrode
    Racer X- Staraptor
    Pops- Snorlax? Machamp?
    Chim-Chim- Ambipom
    Spritle-Not sure yet.
    Last spot is either Trixie, Mom, or Snake Oiler. Are there any serpent Pokemon that are actually good? Preferably one that's disruptive?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It is a crime for racer x not to be played by sharpedo.
    Chen wrote: »
    When did that happen? I cannot remember the last time I beat you. Actually, I can't remember I beat you at all. Seriously, Starmie and P-Z make me very mad. Grr.

I cannot remember the last time we fought! It was certainly a long time ago. All I can remember about the fight was a tyranitar and a tentacruel.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sharpedo is too vicious! Racer X needs to convey a sense of darkness but also goodness, which is Staraptor to a T!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Sharpedo has an X on his head. You can look at that X and say "that sure is racer x". No one is going to look at staraptor and think "ah, he is conveying darkness and light, I can see why he was chosen to represent rikku. I mean racer x". All I get from staraptor is a sense of bird.

Chen! I looked it up, that fateful battle took place on January 4th.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Sharpedo has an X on his head. You can look at that X and say "that sure is racer x". No one is going to look at staraptor and think "ah, he is conveying darkness and light, I can see why he was chosen to represent rikku. I mean racer x". All I get from staraptor is a sense of bird.

Also he's there to back up Electrode in case it comes up against a ground type, so its role in the party also makes it optimal for Racer X.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited August 2008
    Are there any serpent Pokemon that are actually good? Preferably one that's disruptive?
    Seviper
    Rayquaza
    Milotic

Opium on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Wait Seviper is good?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited August 2008
    Opium on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Also he's there to back up Electrode in case it comes up against a ground type, so its role in the party also makes it optimal for Racer X.

The same could be said for any levitating or flying pokemon, really. It is the ever-present struggle between sticking closely to a theme and making a feasible team. Even with electrode - he is fast, but I can think of only one pokemon who actually likes racing.
    078.png

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    No love for Arbok?
    That is a long time ago. We should have a rematch sometime.

Also: 29 / 23 / 30 / 31 / 31 / 6
    Hidden Power Type is 'Psychic'. Hidden Power Power is 69.

Why do you mock me so?!

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008

The same could be said for any levitating or flying pokemon, really. It is the ever-present struggle between sticking closely to a theme and making a feasible team. Even with electrode - he is fast, but I can think of only one pokemon who actually likes racing.
    078.png
    Yes but electrode is fast, metallic-looking, and has the same color-scheme as the Mach 5. And he's shaped vaguely like a racing helmet!

And the way I came to choosing Staraptor was "Okay Speed Racer needs a Racer X supporting him. It's gotta be fast, have good attack, have a slightly edgy appearance, and compliment Electrode. Oh hey Staraptor fits all of those!"

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Haha, perhaps electrode should be the mach 5 - it is not speed racer himself who is very fast, after all, he just likes racing - kind of like rapidash? But! It's your team, after all.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Pikachu should be Racer X, or more precisely the Shooting Star. Seriously.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Blue you are thinking about this too hard.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Also is there a Pokemon that compliments Ambipom very well? Spritle and Chim-Chim seem like they should work together.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You wouldn't that that a SWAGGER Weezing would be able to defeat all three team members, two of which are physical attackers, amirite?

Porygon-Z hurt itself in its confusion!
    Metagross used Meteor Mash! Metagross's attack missed!
    Metagross hurt itself in its confustion!
    Zangoose hurt itself in its confusion!

I hate the battle tower.

And Mushroom Pie/Speed Racer: You could have Ambipom be a NP Baton Passing variant, in which case it would be 'working together' with whatever it passed the boost to.

dingus xavier on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I take pokemon nicknames very seriously!

As for ambipom, it depends on what kind you make.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You wouldn't that that a SWAGGER Weezing would be able to defeat all three team members, two of which are physical attackers, amirite?

Metagross used Meteor Mash! Metagross's attack missed!

I hate the battle tower.

And Mushroom Pie/Speed Racer: You could have Ambipom be a NP Baton Passing variant, in which case it would be 'working together' with whatever it passed the boost to.
    This is very true!

On an unrelated note, Gen V needs an evolution of Farfetch'd called Farflung.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    If they add an evolution it should be Fighting/Flying instead of another generic normal/flying.

It even sorta fits given Farfetch'd's stick and all.

dingus xavier on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The name I always hear for Farfetch'd evo is Absur'd.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Man Farfl'ng would be far better.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Okay it's been a long time since I've had to train something. Do the power items add 6 or 8 EVs onto what they're attached to?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    4. 8 with Pokerus.

dingus xavier on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Okay, thanks.

I guess metalkid's IV calculator doesn't like Firefox 3? the input boxes are staggered.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

It's a difference between farfetched meaning unlikely or far fetched, like you fetched something from far away. The other languages are all combinations of bird and a vegetable.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited August 2008

It's a difference between farfetched meaning unlikely or far fetched, like you fetched something from far away. The other languages are all combinations of bird and a vegetable.

Right, okay, so Farflung's flavor text would be about how he hurls his stick like a boomerang, and can hit targets up up 500 feet away or some shit.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm thinking the flavor texts are just translated from japanese, so him being named farflung is probably farfetched.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So, I wonder. How will it work when You have a special Platinum form of a Pokemon and you battle with someone who's on DP?

Speed Racer on