Options

Pokémon- You can never catch them all!

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You were frustrated! I remember when i did that fateful iv check you were all "man I am just about sick of all this" and I was like "well at least shujin katana didn't win".

I can't believe I bought the ds headset. What a waste.

I wonder what effect platinum will have. It could bring in a few people, but the real problem is how hard it is to get started. Even now occasionally we'll get people up ins getting excited about pokemon and starting a game (although recently it seems like a lot of people are playing advance versions?) and get intimidated by what a huge lead the regulars have, not to mention the long process of making guys and the spreadsheet factor. Back when things got started there were enough people who didn't put a huge effort into training and teambuilding to play off of and support each other. Depends on how many people buy platinum I guess. Personally, I'm always a little sad when people just beat the e4 and that's it. The single player is like a tutorial for the multiplayer! They're missing the fun part of the game!

It is like the people who got brawl just for sse.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    dingus xavierdingus xavier Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You should record battles again BlueBlue.

That or I'll start making those humorous logs that RMD did that one time he battled while I've been here.

ALSO WE SHOULD BATTLE

(that drama was pretty boring, really. I agreed with Munkus.)

dingus xavier on
    Platinum FC:0474 4582 3401
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I am probably (hopefully) going to sleep soon! If I battle I will be pumped and then end up staying up 'till like 4.

As for recording battles, I cannot find the charger for my camera's battery! I have been planning to do a video guide in which I breed and train a competitive pokemon from scratch.

And that drama was exciting at the time! You had to be there! Maybe. the ending was kind of flaccid since nozz just up and stopped posting. But I was thoroughly entertained the whole time! I did not know what was going to happen. Either way I was patting myself on the back for my first team making it so far, and the "victor" having a team so extremely close to my own.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    And eh, I never felt that intimidated when I started. I do actually sort of like raising pokemans to perfection though. Also, I won my vewy first fight against InvisibleInk using my sorta bad first team. Flygon was the only good member and I use him lots, though I still use houndoom/gallade/lanturn occasionally as well. Hariyama and Starmie were shit.

The main reasons were A. hax and B. My Scarfed Flygon being faster than his, but damn if I didn't feel proud of myself.

dingus xavier on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You are like a diamond in the rough! We have very few newcomers who battle, I think you may be the only active trainer not present for healball '07.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    dabichodabicho Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »

Also, is there any stupid bullshit behind how to catch all of the Unowns that I need to know? I need to get 'em for the ball seals.

Yeah there's some stupid bullshit. I think you can only get certain letters by figuring out the code on the walls or something. F-R-I-E-N-D

Also to respond to dingus ahead of time - not right now, sorry.

Isn't that how you do it in GS? In DP when you walk into the Unown dungeon you're given instructions on how to get to the bottom, where you get a nice message about friendship.

Bit late in the post, but if my memory doesn't fail me, you can find the rest of the unown up to Z after you find unowns for F R I E N D, which you can find only in specific rooms.
    ! and ? are available elsewhere, iat the end of the cave where you find only hipopotas and geodudes, and the end of the cave is available only after you have got every other unown

dabicho on
    wii code: 7010-3939-4467-0035
    Xbox 360: LovedWheel60
    3ds: 3609-1043-0230
  • Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    hahah Oh my god
    How did we miss such an early warning?

I was around for the "Golden Age" but I never participated very much so I kind of missed it too.
    It seems like peoples interest in Pokemon lasted much longer than Smash Bros. I'm kinda surprised by that.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was initially, but it makes sense when you think about it.

-Online Pokemon works better than online Smash

-Being competitive in Smash means turning off items and a lot of stages, which people consider "tourneyfaggish." Being competitive in Pokeymans means training up Pokemon in a specific way, which people have much less of a problem with for whatever reason.

-If you have items turned on, Smash is somewhat shallow because it randomly rewards people with little regard for the more skilled player. That's going to lead to less people caring about it, because it feels like practicing at it is meaningless. And since people don't want to be a "tourneyfag" by turning off items and wacky stages...

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    -If you have items turned on, Smash is somewhat shallow because it randomly rewards people with little regard for the more skilled player.

What a coincidence, Pokémon has something very similar but you can't turn it off.

As a side note: I lack the kind of pacience (and people to play with) to practice Brawl. But I would have liked to be better at it.

Ink, we should fight on Brawl sometime.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So as long as pokemon never gives the option to turn off or tone down "hax" we'll never have to deal with some of those problems.
    The PA boards never came up with a middleground rules set for tourneys?

RockinX, I'll fight you in Brawl but as you may have guessed, I like items and I don't mind stage obstacles.
    I'm willing to turn off some items though. Bob-Ombs and exploding crates. Things like that.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I like Melee/Brawl but I could never get the hang of blocking and dodging.

Hey Ink, remember that first battle? Flygon totally pwned your Hippo randomly. Yay hax.

dingus xavier on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    RockinX wrote: »
    -If you have items turned on, Smash is somewhat shallow because it randomly rewards people with little regard for the more skilled player.

What a coincidence, Pokémon has something very similar but you can't turn it off.

As a side note: I lack the kind of pacience (and people to play with) to practice Brawl. But I would have liked to be better at it.

Ink, we should fight on Brawl sometime.

It's a little different in the case of Pokemon. Other than Critical Hits, which okay I'll give you that, every bit of "hax" is part of the game's balance. Super strong attacks have a chance to miss. You can never be certain that the enemy Pokemon will be asleep or frozen for that one extra turn that you need to be. A big part of Pokemon's strategy is managing the risk/reward ratio. Even crits have some strategy to them, with some attacks and items boosting the chance of them happening. That's a good bit different from a Smash Ball appearing while you're waiting to respawn.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So as long as pokemon never gives the option to turn off or tone down "hax" we'll never have to deal with some of those problems.
    The PA boards never came up with a middleground rules set for tourneys?

RockinX, I'll fight you in Brawl but as you may have guessed, I like items and I don't mind stage obstacles.
    I'm willing to turn off some items though. Bob-Ombs and exploding crates. Things like that.

For a while, we had a tournament with casual rules every Saturday, and one with competitive rules every Sunday. The casual tournament fell apart pretty quickly, and the competitive one eventually stagnated just because it we hardly ever got any new blood.

The only time we tried a big tournament was the SE vs. GT tournament right when the game came out, and that fell apart pretty fast.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I don't remember it much Dingus, but I'm sure I did lose to you. I remember hating that damn Scarfed Flygon that I could barely handle. Thats why my Staraptor became so important.
    I already had my gym team when you first started battling? Damn, you really were late.
    and I've only trained 4 new Pokémon since then, and I only really use 2 or 3 of them.
    I really should get to work on some new guys. Not just random ones, but a whole team.

That's actually kind of sad to hear about Brawl. I thought it would be going strong for quite a long time.
    It still seems like it killed the Pokémon threads a little bit.

Oh, does anyone want to battle?

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    That's a good bit different from a Smash Ball appearing while you're waiting to respawn.

Is it a good bit different from having a swords danced speed boosted electivire freeze your only counter? Or lax incense making the opponent miss twice in a row? A lot of the strategy of managing risk/reward in pokemon is crossing your fingers. In either game, luck can make the difference between victory or defeat. At least in smash brothers, you usually fight several matches to minimize luck's impact.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That's a good bit different from a Smash Ball appearing while you're waiting to respawn.

Is it a good bit different from having a swords danced speed boosted electivire freeze your only counter? Or lax incense making the opponent miss twice in a row? A lot of the strategy of managing risk/reward in pokemon is crossing your fingers. In either game, luck can make the difference between victory or defeat. At least in smash brothers, you usually fight several matches to minimize luck's impact.

At least you know the probabilities going in. For example, my Gallade packs a Razor Claw or whichever the one is that boosts crit chance since a couple of his moves have extra crit chance. It's saved me several times, including my last battle, to pull off a crit when I need it.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I can battle you in about an hour or so, Ink, when I get out of class. I have some new guys for you to meet.

dingus xavier on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My DS finally came back in the mail after sending it to Nintendo to be fixed. It took about 3 weeks and I don't think I've ever been so happy to grind the battle tower and EV train.

Gigaton on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm ready. Want to battle, Ink? Or anyone.

dingus xavier on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    just gimme 5-10 minutes.

OK! Sandwich eaten, strength at maximum, heading online.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, Blue, that was really unnecessary.

For the benefit of the people not around for the golden age of pokemon! Man I am now re-reading the whole nozz controversy. It is good times!

You too?

ahaha I like how one of the people coming to Nozz's defense is a Smogon guy claiming how awesome they are.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, Brawl kinda died out really quick among the guys at the geek club at my school, too. Either someone bitches about the tripping, or using items, or not using items, or only playing Final D or playing things other than Final D, etc. Whatever you do, there's gonna be someone who is not happy with the rules. At least with Pokemon there are set rules to balance things out as best they can. Sure, you still get random crits and misses, and Status will screw you over in desperate times, but at least it's better than playing Final D, No Items, Fox Only.

Heh, ah the memories. If you hacked it, you hacked it. No way you can get around it.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, Brawl kinda died out really quick among the guys at the geek club at my school, too. Either someone bitches about the tripping, or using items, or not using items, or only playing Final D or playing things other than Final D, etc. Whatever you do, there's gonna be someone who is not happy with the rules. At least with Pokemon there are set rules to balance things out as best they can. Sure, you still get random crits and misses, and Status will screw you over in desperate times, but at least it's better than playing Final D, No Items, Fox Only.

Heh, ah the memories. If you hacked it, you hacked it. No way you can get around it.

My friends and I turn items off, and whatever goddamn stage comes up save for like, 2 (New Pork City and Mario Bros. The latter is fun, but it's too much about throwing turtles...and the former is just too damn big to see anyone who isn't Charizard, Dedede, or Bowser.)

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Yeah, but I mean, tourneyfag style of play is specifically designed to balance out Smash as best it can, and it does a good job. People just don't like it because that's not how the game is meant to be played or some shit.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well, the tourney rules guys are the ones who do nothing buy play Smash. Like a certain person from my club who refused to play without them, who would constantly wavedash and be a real dick about the whole game. He'd get four or more kills in a row by using downright stupid tactics like edge grabbing and laugh in his victim's face, but the moment he gets killed through similar means we curses them out and says they're cheating.

In short, he's "MLG Pro 4 Lyfe." Hate those kinds of idiots. ASt least with Pokemon, we use the normal rules like no Legendaries. We don't make up these asinine rules like one stage only or Battle Rifle starts only.

Oh, and he would only ever play as Zelda and just spam Din's Fire. That's like using Ubers; acts like an elitist douche.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So... you forgot Politoeds ability dingus?

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yes. Silence.

Toad was party to its own demise, however. Swagger was pretty risky in that situation.

(Though I suppose your next poke got setup from it)

dingus xavier on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, but luck is what i'm all about. It helped out Charizard at least. and it was better than switching to someone else and letting them take the hit.

I'm sorry, but I had to run and look up ManBearPigs defenses. Flamethrower vs Earthquake ya know?

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Priority moves are the shit.

dingus xavier on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well, the tourney rules guys are the ones who do nothing buy play Smash. Like a certain person from my club who refused to play without them, who would constantly wavedash and be a real dick about the whole game. He'd get four or more kills in a row by using downright stupid tactics like edge grabbing and laugh in his victim's face, but the moment he gets killed through similar means we curses them out and says they're cheating.

In short, he's "MLG Pro 4 Lyfe." Hate those kinds of idiots. ASt least with Pokemon, we use the normal rules like no Legendaries. We don't make up these asinine rules like one stage only or Battle Rifle starts only.

That guy's not a competitive player, he's an asshole.

Also, neither Melee or Brawl restricts play to one stage. The way competitive Melee worked was you played best two out of three. The stage for the first game was decided randomly between Final Destination, Battlefield, Pokemon Stadium, Kirby's Dreamland 64, Fountain of Dreams, and Yoshi's Story. Then the loser of that game got to pick the next stage, and they had a lot of options. They could even pick Rainbow Cruise or PokeFloats. Brawl works the same way.

If a stage got banned, it was because it either got in the way of rewarding the more skilled player, like Icicle Mountain or Big Blue, or it gave too big of an advantage to one character or another, like how Yoshi's Island let Fox walk you off the side three times and beat you in 30 seconds. Those are the same justifications used to ban certain Pokemon from competitive play.

But we're starting to get off-topic!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    FUCK YOU SHITTY ACCURACY

I probably could have just used a weaker attack anyway.

Hah! I knew Rotom could survive one of those Priority hits. Only one though.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Nah, Dani is very sturdy. Stone Edge is the only thing Flygon had that could possibly KO at that life.

dingus xavier on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh, I know how the stage selections were, the club had a Farewll to Melee tourney the weekend of Brawl's release. It was just that EVERYONE still played Final D despite having other options. When I lost, I said, "Screw it, we're doing PokeFloats. I'm gonna lose anyway, might as well hope you fall to your death by accident at least." And my opponent yelled about it being stupid and that Final D was the only good stage.

Really, they should have released a SSBB: Final D Edition with just that stage to shut up all these idiots.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Using WoW when it should have been obvious that you'd Uturn... ugh

Goddamnit Dingus... Stop out maneuvering me!

Fuck. Well played Dingus. How about I change my team up and we rematch?

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Crit didn't really matter as I could U-turn one more time after Smirk went down.

GG, I had to make a lot of sacrifices that battle.

Uh, sure, lemme change my team also.

dingus xavier on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited September 2008

In the first case, you could have played more intelligently to prevent yourself from letting Electivire put your back to the wall. In the second, the person had to sacrifice using a more useful item to put on the Lax Incense. They're taking a pretty big gamble, especially considering that that one instance of missing twice might not even win them the game.

When you get pinned, then yes, you do often have to take drastic measures and cross your fingers if you hope to win. The important part here though is "When you get pinned." If you and the other guy are basically even, then there's really no reason to make huge gambles against the RNG. You do your best to avoid risking big moves, maybe make a small gamble here and there. The bigger a lead the other guy gets against you, the bigger your risks have to be to pull out a win.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    In the first case, you could have played more intelligently to prevent yourself from letting Electivire put your back to the wall.
    :oops:

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    In the first case, you could have played more intelligently to prevent yourself from letting Electivire put your back to the wall.
    :oops:

That's not to say that you played badly if it happens, just that the other guy played better than you did.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm gonna tell Munkus about this Mush.

Man, fucking Armaldo is worthless.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ha, actually I got mixed up and thought it was speed that I did that to, I thought I was hitting close to home! Whoops.

But still, even in brawl you can do things to increase your odds of getting items, like picking a faster character, or increase/decrease their effectiveness by using someone with a strong fs or someone with a reflector.

Although you can increase your odds here or there, most of the time the hax in pokemon is just plain hax. "whoops I got a crit when i needed it, I win".

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status: