Options

Pokémon- You can never catch them all!

• Options
    dingus xavierdingus xavier Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, you could RE-name them. If you want.

I have discovered a (somewhat crappy) wireless network I can probably use to battle. Once my dongle arrives it'll be a better solution.

Also, the TF2 thread has gotten approx. 6.5 times the responses in half the time. Step it up people!

dingus xavier on
    Platinum FC:0474 4582 3401
    Steam ID
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Miltank means miltank in miltank.
    Is it like the tf2 thread yet?

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Indeed, getting there.

I suppose the post quality over there isn't exactly great.
    ur a maget

dingus xavier on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You know, I really don't get why people like Resttalking. a 1 in 3 chance of fucking yourself over are not odds that I care to bet on!
    You gotta have something that can at least take a hit in case that happens. My Relicanth is pretty sweet. I seem to have some poor luck sometimes with Resttalking but when a Head Smash comes out, shit goes down.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The best thing is when you predict sleep and go ahead and use sleep talk.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Ok! Results! Top 4 bronzors:
    00/10/27/05/31/04
    20/25/12/04/31/03
    07/30/16/19/31/18
    30/28/12/25/26/06

All sassy, and I thought all levitate but that last one is actually heatproof. Anyway I'm going with the second one, if anyone wants the rejects lemme know. They will have nicknames.
    I'm really surprised that you wouldn't go with the 4th one.
    I'll take it!
    Edit: Oh, wait. It's Fireproof? Ok, that makes more sense. Well, I'll still take it.
    and I'd love it if you got rid of the Nickname. I should have actually read your post before replying.

I've been thinking about training up a couple of Pokémon that have been traded to me over the months. Good egg moves, natures and IVs. A Koffing 2 Meditites with different egg moves and Magmortar from PBR. Now I'll add Bronzor to that list I suppose.

Has anyone else ever been tempted to go through and check the nature/IVs of every Pokémon in there boxes to see if there might be some useful creatures randomly caught or traded? I get that urge. I have a bunch of Colosseum and XD Pokémon that I need to transfer over at some point. Maybe there's a few gems?

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well, I'll still take it.
    and I'd love it if you got rid of the Nickname. I should have actually read your post before replying.

Haha no way - I have to give them embarrassing or identifying nicknames! That is part of the fun of trading them away. They are truly impeccable names!

Edit oh hey would you look at that hurricane - I may be doing a lot of packing today so you might have to wait a bit on that bronzor~

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The best thing is when you predict sleep and go ahead and use sleep talk.
    That feels so good. Only downside is trying to predict the wake up afterwards.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Wow that is a bad post to be taken out of context.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, I'll still take it.

Haha no way - I have to give them embarrassing or identifying nicknames! That is part of the fun of trading them away. They are truly impeccable names!

Edit oh hey would you look at that hurricane - I may be doing a lot of packing today so you might have to wait a bit on that bronzor~

Where do you live Blue? I had to leave college in New Orleans because of the hurricane.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ocean Springs, MS. We are basically on the edge of the projections - katrina gave us a good 5 ft indoors so we are keeping an eye on it.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kecleon is now my new favorite Pokemon solely because of how nice the breeding RNG is being to me about making it. Within 5 minutes I got two parents who between the two of them have 6 31s.

I take this back. FUCK YOU KECLEON, FUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOOU

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Okay this game just likes to fuck with me, as soon as I posted that I got a good Kecleon. Wrong gender again, but fuck it.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    AggrilAggril Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Be careful out there, everyone in the Gulf coast.

I just went ahead and de-fossilized the many Pokemon fossils I had in my bag, in order to have more Pokemon to move over to my Ranch game. One of them turned out to have pretty good stats, but sadly Armaldo is best with some egg moves. Still, Squishy the Anorinth has potential!

Aggril on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    How does this sound for Slaking?
    Jolly
    @Lum
    -Counter
    -Return
    -Hammer Arm
    -Rest
    252 HP/128 ATK/128 DEF

Can take quite a good few hits, and can outspeed other tanks. Just about every hit should kill. My only concern is he can't touch ghosts. Should I make room for Shadow Claw?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    AggrilAggril Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Doesn't Slaking get Slack Off? I might suggest that as better than Rest, especially given how Slaking is only going to be moving every other turn. I forget if that means it will take him longer to wake up from Rest or not, though. I'd also agree with removing one of your attacks in favor of Shadow Claw (or possibly Earthquake, if you're not too worried about Gengar/Drifblim/ other levitating ghosts). Its very unusual to see a Slaking that doesn't have its attack maxed out, but then again that will help a great deal in the surprise factor for Counter.

Aggril on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    All right, so drop Hammer Arm for Shadow Claw?

Slack Off might be better than Rest, yeah.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Taking into account that it's going to lose a turn (two or three if it's Rest), I'd think that giving it such recovery moves would be a waste.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    He doesn't need to slack off while he sleeps, right?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That's not what I meant. Slaking will lose two or three turns with rest (don't know how that works with that ability), and its ability makes slack off somewhat useless unless you are willing to switch it out after healing.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    RockinX wrote: »
    That's not what I meant. Slaking will lose two or three turns with rest (don't know how that works with that ability), and its ability makes slack off somewhat useless unless you are willing to switch it out after healing.

I'd have to look into how Rest + Lum works with Slaking, but if I don't have to slack off then I think it's worth it.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's an old question, but I've forgotten the answer, how does something like Giga Impact work with Slaking? It does it's recharge on the turn it slacks off right? So I guess the only down side is that you can't switch out after using the move?
    I don't think Slack Off would be useless. I think Slaking will have plenty of opportunities to heal up as I scramble to come up with some defense/offense. With speed it might even be able to heal before I can hit it.
    Yeah, make sure you have Shadow Claw or my little Rotom will send the oaf running.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Correct, Ink. STAB Giga Impact is stupidly powerful coming from Slaking's Attack stat, but the inability to switch may make it not worth it.

I mean, STAB Return (Or Double-Edge) will paste anything that doesn't resist it anyway.

And Speed Racer, if you're really concerned with hitting everything you could try Shadow Claw/Hammer Arm for the unresisted Ghost/Fighting combination. However, Return is by far your most powerful attack... Hammer Arm is a much better attack than shadow claw, and Fighting a better attack type, but I suppose you could Counter Rock and Steel types.

dingus xavier on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The thing about slack off is that, if you did anything the turn before, there's going to be 3 straight turns of nothing. You're also counting on the opponent to not be able to do 50% in two turns.

Generally the idea behind slaking is 1-2hkoing everything. It seems like counter is going to be like a potentially powered up return that is only going to work once. Plus it only works on physical moves, which I notice is where you put your defense evs. Without the huge attack, I'm not sure how well it is really going to fare against other walls - don't forget that they get a free turn to heal every other turn, so if you don't get a ohko, they can stall you forever.

Some quick numbers - a jolly slaking (with 128 atk) using return against hippowdon with a neutral nature and no hp or def evs is only going to do 43.42% - 51.26%. He could switch in and heal during the off-turn, or if he was already in play, could chip away at your hp with earthquake/sandstorm during the off turn and heal during the attack turn.

Against my blissey*, hammer arm won't ohko.
    *well actually it will but my blissey has a very low def iv. Still it's not a guaranteed ko.**
    **Now that I think about it I don't remember what nature she has. So, maybe not a ohko after all.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    All right, so maybe dump the recovery move and just go all out offense? Counter, Hammer Arm, Shadow Claw and Return?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man forget return and any of that mumbo jumbo! Use fury swipes! Hitting twice will KO ninjask! Imagine its face! That will teach it to hide behind subs! Exclamation marks!

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Chen are you feeling all right.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    If you have emerald it may be worth it to get some kind of elemental punch. I really don't like counter very much for something that is supposed to be such a powerhouse.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    If you have emerald it may be worth it to get some kind of elemental punch. I really don't like counter very much for something that is supposed to be such a powerhouse.

Nope, and I've already bread it anyway.

Rock Slide and Earthquake are also options.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Scratch OHKOs Pikachu 9 out of 10 times!

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Though a pikachu (or anything) with protect will beat a slaking~

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Also Blue why would I attack a physical wall with a physical attacker? That would be goofy!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    And yet you want to give your slaking counter?
    Your line about outspeeding other tanks made me think that tanks were what you had in mind. Why would someone leave in a special wall against slaking?

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well, Max Attack Choice Band Slaking will always 2HKO impish 252 hp/252 def Hippowdon with Double-Edge. It's that strong.

(Standard Hippowdon spread is less physically defensive)

Though it still couldn't take it down due to Truant but that's beside the point.

(Honestly I would use Choice Slaking over a more defensive set just because of how absurdly powerful it is.

dingus xavier on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Wait, does Counter actually care about attack or defense? I thought it just straight-up did double the damage that you received, which means it circumvents high physical defense?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well, Max Attack Choice Band Slaking will always 2HKO impish 252 hp/252 def Hippowdon with Double-Edge. It's that strong.

(Standard Hippowdon spread is less physically defensive)

Though it still couldn't take it down due to Truant but that's beside the point.

(Honestly I would use Choice Slaking over a more defensive set just because of how absurdly powerful it is.

But I'm already using a Choice Machamp!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Slaking used nose picking!

But it failed!

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Wait, does Counter actually care about attack or defense? I thought it just straight-up did double the damage that you received, which means it circumvents high physical defense?

It cares about your defense. More defense = less damage.

I also support a stronger, choiced slaking. Against most things I am putting it up against, it looks like this "already bread" slaking is toast.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Correct, however if (for example) Hippowdon lives the return hit (likely if its at full/near full health due to 16 atk EQ not even 3hkoing Slaking) It can then Slack Off on the offturn and not fall for it again.

USE A RESTTALK MACHAMP

dingus xavier on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Aw man I did spell it like "bread" didn't I.

All right, so, what then? 252 ATK/128 DEF/128 HP? I can give Machamp the Life Orb and shift the Expert Belt over to Gengar.

Speed Racer on