Options

Pokémon- You can never catch them all!

• Options
    dingus xavierdingus xavier Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well, if you do want to use resttalk machamp it's best with leftovers. Dunno who you have that on currently.

The standard resttalk set maxes HP rather than splitting it between HP and DEF but if you want to focus on physical defense that spread does give you more durability at the cost of special walling.

dingus xavier on
    Platinum FC:0474 4582 3401
    Steam ID
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nuts to your defense, maxx that speed, mr jolly.
    (And you call yourself Speed Racer)

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well, if you do want to use resttalk machamp it's best with leftovers. Dunno who you have that on currently.

The standard resttalk set maxes HP rather than splitting it between HP and DEF but if you want to focus on physical defense that spread does give you more durability at the cost of special walling.

No no I was talking for Slaking. Machamp has 252 ATK/128 HP/128 DEF (I think?) and you can peddle your foul resttalking ways elsewhere!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    EV-reducing berries lower the effort values by 10 points, yeah?

dingus xavier on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    IIRC, the first berry lowers it to 100, then each subsequent berry lowers it by 10.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh monkey testicles.

Wellllll I've got a lot of retraining to do then.

dingus xavier on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    AggrilAggril Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hah! Today I deposited a Yanmega into my Ranch as one of my 'wanted' Pokemon. Hayley went into the 'Oh! A YANMEGA! A pokemon I've always wanted!' thing. Which was hilarious given that she has deposited three Yanmega of her own into the darn ranch! But hey, she offered a Miltank, so why not.

Best part is that the Miltank turned out to be pretty decent- two flawless IVs, in its attack and speed no less. So I've got something to start with if I ever decide I'd like a Miltank in my lineup.

Aggril on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Damn. I don't think I've ever trained anything in special defense and I don't have either def power item. What's a good place to train?
    gamefaqs recommends route 223?

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The water just to the north of Sunnyshore has nothing but stuff that gives Special Defense. Mantykes, Tentacruels, and I think maybe Pelippers?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    ...and so does SR! Looks like I will have to keep close count of what I fight.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh man, I just realized that Wingull has eyes like Roast Beef in Achewood.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Its been a little bit since I've trained something in Special Defense, but I recall surfing the water around the Windworks mostly. The Tentacool there are fairly common and easier to keep track of than all the random stuff on 223. You'll only have to run from the Wingulls.

Aggril on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Mr gamefaqs tells me route 223 has only what sr mentioned, at a 70% spdef ratio.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Both should work fine. I just prefer the Windworks waters due to the Tentacool being lower level, and thus more likely to be KO'ed by my trainee Pokemon, rather than needing to swap them out for a higher level butt kicker.

Aggril on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I should have brought a steel type. Damn poison.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Fuck you Effort Ribbon lady!

I gave Kecleon Pokerus, then fought the Bidoof girl 5 times (forgot to give it HP ups) while it was holding the Power Weight, then took the weight off to fight a single Bidoof to give it 252 HP. Then I gave it drugs to get it to 100 SPDEF, gave it the Power Band, fought a Mantyke and a Tentacruel, took the power brace off and fought one more Tentacruel, then gave it 100 ATK EVs, fought two Gyarados, put the Power Brace on and fought two more. Oh, I don't have max EVs yet? I guess I didn't get the 2 filler EVs used right. I go fight a Wingull without any item equipped. Still nothing. I go fight the Bidoof lady again while wearing the Weight. Nope. I fight another Tentacruel with the Power Band. Nothin'.

WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Maybe you should re-iv check to see what its new stats are to get a fix on your evs.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Is there a calculator out there where I can put in a Pokemon's stats and IVs and it gives me its EVs?

If not, who's coming on to battle me so I can see what Kecleon's level 100 stats are?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You put in its stats and what you think its evs are, then adjust until it gives you the correct ivs. I can hop online.

standing by in lobby
    oh good, this song and dance

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    All right, I'll be right on.

EDIT: Oh come on
    EDIT2: All right, fuck it, I'll worry about it in the morning. Thanks anyways, Blue. Worst comes to worst I'll have to mooch some EV berries from some folks.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Alas. I blame the hurricane.
    Edit: Effort ribbon get! Huzzah. Just 'bout 8 more levels and some tms and I'll be good to go.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Heyyy, I can battle again, I think. Who wants to test out the connection and also allow me to verify I EVd some new guys correctly? If anyone needs an IV battle that would be ideal.

Bah. That's right, BE logged off.

dingus xavier on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fuck you Effort Ribbon lady!

I gave Kecleon Pokerus, then fought the Bidoof girl 5 times (forgot to give it HP ups) while it was holding the Power Weight, then took the weight off to fight a single Bidoof to give it 252 HP. Then I gave it drugs to get it to 100 SPDEF, gave it the Power Band, fought a Mantyke and a Tentacruel, took the power brace off and fought one more Tentacruel, then gave it 100 ATK EVs, fought two Gyarados, put the Power Brace on and fought two more. Oh, I don't have max EVs yet? I guess I didn't get the 2 filler EVs used right. I go fight a Wingull without any item equipped. Still nothing. I go fight the Bidoof lady again while wearing the Weight. Nope. I fight another Tentacruel with the Power Band. Nothin'.

WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME.

so, 252 HP
    126 Sp Def
    132 Atk.

hm. Yeah, that's 510. You used the Power Bracer for Atk right? Not the Macho Brace?

You can use the Stat Calculator at Psypokes to mess around with its EV's IV's and Level to figure out what happened.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    That's giving downright bizarre results. For one it's telling me my DEF IV is way lower than what metalkid says it is.

HURGLE

BURGLE

Anyone have three extra berries, one for HP, one for ATK, and one for SPDEF?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I should probably get around to getting that Muscle Band one of these days so I can get back into fighting. But I've also got Tales of Vesperia, Castle Crashers, and GTA to play, and I've been meaning on replaying Mario Galaxy and FFT: War of the Lions again.

In short, I'm lazy and hate the tower.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    That's giving downright bizarre results. For one it's telling me my DEF IV is way lower than what metalkid says it is.

HURGLE

BURGLE

Stat Calculator
    You enter all of that info yourself. You need to know the IVs already in order to get any calculator to work right.
    I can spare some berries. I only have 6 for the SpDef though, I was planning on growing some more. Might do that today.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited September 2008

HURGLE

BURGLE

Stat Calculator
    You enter all of that info yourself. You need to know the IVs already in order to get any calculator to work right.
    I can spare some berries. I only have 6 for the SpDef though, I was planning on growing some more. Might do that today.
    Right, that's what I was using. I had zero DEF EVs. According to metalkid I had a 15 in DEF, but I can't get the calculator to spit out the proper stat for my Kecleon's defense unless I lower its DEF IV all the way to 4.

Assuming it's right though, I evidently fucked something up while training its HP, since I apparently only have about 140 HP EVs. I'm right that giving it berries will drop the stats to 100 each, right?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well, if you're not at level 100 then adjusting the EVs won't necessarily alter the stats in the way you might expect. At lower levels you might need to add 8 or 12 EVs in order to raise a stat even one point. You should enter the IVs that you're sure it has and leave them be. Adjusting the EVs won't be exact until you're at 100. It only helps to give you an idea of where the EVs all went.

Yes, if the EVs are at 110+ then the first berry brings it 100. Otherwise the berries always delete 10 evs.

So how many berries will you need?

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well, if you're not at level 100 then adjusting the EVs won't necessarily alter the stats in the way you might expect. At lower levels you might need to add 8 or 12 EVs in order to raise a stat even one point. You should enter the IVs that you're sure it has and leave them be. Adjusting the EVs won't be exact until you're at 100. It only helps to give you an idea of where the EVs all went.

Yes, if the EVs are at 110+ then the first berry brings it 100. Otherwise the berries always delete 10 evs.

So how many berries will you need?

Yeah, I know, my HP EVs are somewhere inbetween 120 and 140, but the point is that they're far lower than they should be. And since I have zero DEF EVs, you would think it would spit back the proper stat, but it doesn't.

I need one for HP, one for ATK, and one for SPDEF. Thanks muchly.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I figured you knew all of that but, you know, cover the basics first to make sure you're not missing something obvious. I guess I don't know what the heck is going on with your Kecleon.
    Sometimes I would be lost if I didn't have my pokemons exact IVs saved in a wordpad.

Anyway, I'll head online with those berries.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    All right, hope you don't mind eggs, it's all the trade trash I have. No idea what's in 'em.

EDIT: Wait Ink do you still have my code?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Eggs are cool. I'll hatch them while I grow some more berries.

Well, thats not an egg at all.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well, Psypoke is still trying to tell me that I'm wrong, but I know that I'm not, so oh well!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Since my asshole online schedule assured me I had a Writing class on Labor Day- shut up, I had no way to verify at 2 in the morning- I'm actually up at this hour for once.

Who wants to have a pseudo-IV battle with me? Please?

dingus xavier on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I can help you out Dingus.
    I'll head online.

A regular battle right?

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well it would be except

I can't get this connection to work at all this morning so bleh.

Sorry to have bothered you.

dingus xavier on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You've robbed me of an easy victory against your half awake ass!
    I'll get you next time.

Guess I'll be heading back to PBR again today. :|

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If you give me some time to go get my Diamond card, I'll battle you.

Edit: Oh, well, looks like you left.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    No i'm still around. You still want to battle? Ready to test your luck again?

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sooo guys, the title of this thread got me thinking. What exactly happens when you catch them all?

Lucky Cynic on