Options

Pokémon- You can never catch them all!

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Neato.

Does anyone mind IV battling with me real quick? I could trade you a Heart Scale in exchange.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm about to breed up some new pokes while I'm away from internet connection. If you still need an IV battle or two when I get back, you can hit me up.

Now I just need to figure out which poke I should breed.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Okay, good to know.

Wait, Milotic can't learn Light Screen from a TM?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Okay, good to know.

Wait, Milotic can't learn Light Screen from a TM?

Egg move only, looks like.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    That's kind of weird. Is Milotic still useful without that or Hypnosis?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I have never made one - but I don't think I've ever seen a milotic without hypnosis.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Milotic can reststalk to abuse Marvel Scale, but if she isn't she kind of wants Hypnosis to distinguish herself from other bulky water types.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hate Pokemon that just won't learn good moves on their own. I'm playing through Ruby right now, and my level 27 Grovyle's only Grass-type move is still Bullet Seed. And I had to teach it that with a TM.

jothki on
  • Options
    Johnny FabulousJohnny Fabulous burgin' Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Milotic is wonderful. Gotten me out of a lot of sticky situations.

Johnny Fabulous on
    We tried nothin' and we're all outta ideas.
    xbl gamertag: sublunary
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Nerdgasm, if you're ready now, I can do the IV battle. I decided not to worry about IVs on this poke, as I'm just going to make 6 and take the one with the best stats.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Alright, one sec.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh, I accidentally opted to switch in Feebas instead of checking it, my bad.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Did you get what you needed? Because I'd prefer not to lose another battle.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I did. I'm sorry.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yes, well no harm done. At least until I forget that that was just a mistaken loss. Then when I get into another losing streak and take a look back at my depressing list of failures, it shall be made all the worse by my loss to you. Frustrated, I will swear off video games in a furious rage, turning my attention instead to the literary world. Ten years later I'll be married with two kids, and I will refuse to let them play video games. Disillusioned and angry at me and at the world as a whole, my progeny will take my awesome genes and devote their doubtlessly genius minds to the pursuit of evil, having never learned morality from games. They will seek out like-minded individuals, assembling an organization that will take the name The Injustice League, featuring frightening villains such as Postal Man and The Headache. This group of ultra-maniacal evil fanatics will undo the very fabric of space-time, fracturing the dimensions and ending all life that ever did and ever will exist anywhere. And it will be all your fault.

Or I suppose I could just make them watch Sesame Street or something.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You not letting them play videogames sounds more like a recipe for MLG material.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So do you want that Gastly or what?

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Terrendos, just don't save after an IV battle.

RockinX on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    So, I was thinking, what if one had an entire team dedicated to Baton Passing to one or two mixed attackers?
    I fought one of those before. It was working really well until I dropped a Confuse Ray, fucked up their pass, and swept the whole team.

It has a lot of weaknesses. One wrong move and you are fucked.

edit: Garchomp is uber now? Thank god I don't depend on mine.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Chen wrote: »
    So do you want that Gastly or what?

I've reconsidered. Last night I came up with several new pokes to train so I won't have time to remake Gengar. I'm happy with him as he is now anyway, his only problem is having a less than ideal nature.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I have just gotten 2 messages on the xbox from an "II GUNZ ll" -
    "hi"
    "do you like pokemo"

I do not play games online very much - I can only imagine this person messaged every pokemon?

Our eyes have met, and so we must battle! I asked for rules and he specified "none". Sleep Clause, have at thee! Garchomp, rise from your grave!

ASH, prepare to eat it! Oh fuck a celebi. Oh fuck a mewtwo. Oh fuck hypnosis missed. Oh hi, groudon. Groudon has thunderbolt. Tentacruel is not amused. A rayquaza! The hits just keep on coming.
    My first loss! Rayquaza used thunderbolt, taking out skarmory.
    A kyogre! His team seems to be heavily special-based. Blissey will smite them all.
    Kyogre used sheer cold. Wow. No effect but wow.
    And a ho-oh. The sunlight is strong.
    Oh man his ho-oh woke up after two turns and hit my gengar with a critical thunderbolt, of all things. I barely survive to administer my own 3rd thunderbolt to ko it.

ASH is defeated by Blue! I am proud of myself even though he was not really very good.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    dingus xavierdingus xavier Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I doubt the ubers were EV trained given they apparently had lol sets, but they do have good stats.

You should have expected the sheer cold, honestly. (not that there's much you can do about it lol OHKO moves) I'm surprised the Groudon didn't try to Fissure you.

Good for you. There is indeed fun to be had in beating the snot out of clueless uber-using 10 year olds.

dingus xavier on
    Platinum FC:0474 4582 3401
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I did not know what kind of sets were to be expected! When he went from celebi to mewtwo to groudon I was kind of thinking I was screwed. After thunderbolt to tentacruel (aimed at blissey, his first attack of the match) I felt a little better.

Also of note was that he did not seem to use any items. Next (?) time I fight him it's just going to be a ninjask-> sweep.

I think his guys were ev trained, just from their speeds, but I think his guys were traded to him.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    dingus xavierdingus xavier Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well, Fissure and Sheer Cold aren't standard or anything but given that he specified 'none' for rules....

dingus xavier on
    Platinum FC:0474 4582 3401
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well, they aren't really -so- great that I would use them in a no-rules situation.

Initially I just figured he didn't know enough to know any rules. I am looking about for him elsewhere on the internet, cyberstalking? His youtube name is GUNZx5. He must like gunz.
    And...can't find him anywhere else, I was hoping to learn more about my mystery opponent. It was very weird, like a battle from an npc that I didn't notice while walking around.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aren't those the sorts of teams that are swept by a Life Orbed Timid Kyogre?

Kay2 on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well, I thought it'd take a while to get the pre-Platinum stuff done, but as it turns out, I just need one more thing.

Of course, that one thing is VERY hard to find, but is absolutely crucial to one of my Pokemon. It'll be found eventually between the 6+ months before Platinum's release, however. It's all a matter of time, really.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    RavynBlackheartRavynBlackheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Now I'm wondering what that one crucial thing is, maybe I can help.

RavynBlackheart on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh, it's not like it's entirely that hard to find. It's just held by a wild Pokemon that doesn't show up often. But probability dictates that it'll show up eventually.

Also, the Upgrade, Dubious Disc, and Magmarizer (and most likely the Electrizer as well) show up pre-Elite Four in Platinum. Good to know for fans of Pory, Electivire, and MegaMar. Same probably goes for items needed for Togekiss, Gallade, Froslass, etc.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I've got several Metal Coats from when I was hunting for shiny Magnemites. I used up my one dubious disc when I evolved Billy, though.

RockinX on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wouldn't mind one of those metal coats, looking for anything in particular?

Edit: Also, don't think I've face you yet emerl. Up for a battle?

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Read my sig.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well I have plenty of heart scales, as well as most every TM, Does a heart scale or a particular TM interest you? Says you're looking for TM's 50+

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Does anyone else feel that Gen II has some of the best music of the series? They really should bring some of it back.

EDIT: Also, are Quick Claws illegal?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    No items are illegal, I think. Ones that are legitimately obtainable, that is. Quickclaws aren't that -good-, however. 18.5% chance of working.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    "Hax" Items
    Banned or allowed depending on where you battle at. Regardless these items are frowned upon.

- Brightpowder
    - Quick Claw
    - Focus Band
    - King's Rock

To name a few.

Basically anything that degenerates the game into a contest of luck rather then skill.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Frowned upon like bliss/skarm is frowned upon. (Not by me)

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    Professor HydronProfessor Hydron Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Zerokku wrote: »
    "Hax" Items
    Banned or allowed depending on where you battle at. Regardless these items are frowned upon.

- Brightpowder
    - Quick Claw
    - Focus Band
    - King's Rock

To name a few.

Basically anything that degenerates the game into a contest of luck rather then skill.

Which always confuses me since critical hits are inherent, IVs are random, and most of the "skill" involved is really being lucky enough to predict what your opponent will do.

It just surprises me since so much of this game is based on chance occurrences. Not to say that skill is not involved but this game always felt like an even 50/50 both ways, not matter how much you prepare things can still happen, items or no items.

Professor Hydron on
    3DS ~ 2664-2225-0872
    Nintendo Network: ProfHydron
    XBox Gamertag: ProfHydron
    Friend Safari: Fighting ~ Machoke, Pancham, Breloom add me and tag or msg me and I'll add you back
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    I did not know what kind of sets were to be expected! When he went from celebi to mewtwo to groudon I was kind of thinking I was screwed. After thunderbolt to tentacruel (aimed at blissey, his first attack of the match) I felt a little better.

Also of note was that he did not seem to use any items. Next (?) time I fight him it's just going to be a ninjask-> sweep.

I think his guys were ev trained, just from their speeds, but I think his guys were traded to him.

Throw a Wobbuffet at him!

jothki on
  • Options
    AggrilAggril Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Quick Claws aren't the most optimal item to have, but I've yet to see anyone ask that they not be used. The only items I've ever seen even come up in the 'illegal' discussion are Lax Incense and Brightpowder, but most people figure they aren't reliable enough to be worth using either. All three items are HORRIBLY annoying in the Battle Tower, naturally.

Focus Band and King's Rock are even less reliable than the above, I'd say. Focus Sash at least is guaranteed to work once. The Band only has a 10% chance or so of even activating once. There's far better items out there for your Pokemon to hold, I'd say.

Also, Chen, thanks for holding onto a Exploding Gengar for me! Since I picked up Killer7 I've had an urge to make a Gengar named some variant of Heaven's Smile, and its just not the same without it being able to explode. :P

Aggril on