As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Aquarium Thread! Way more expensive than you ever imagined!

• Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Thread resurrect!

I just got a ten gallon aquarium and I'm excited and hope they don't die yayyy

Medopine on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    Thread resurrect!

we've got a 20 gallon tank

what kind of fish did you get?

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Thread resurrect!

we've got a 20 gallon tank

what kind of fish did you get?

let me check the receipt

golden zebra loach 1
    butterfly lizard loach 1
    lampeye killi 5
    eques pencilfish 4

probably too much for the 10 gal but oh well

Also two living plants and a couple rocks

Medopine on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    coool

right now we've got some neons and a couple of catfish species

the catfish are nice because you don't have to clean the tank quite as often with them

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Another fish store I was at earlier had some Endler's Livebearers that I totally want to get but uh

I think the thing should cycle first and see if any fish are gonna die

Medopine on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Another fish store I was at earlier had some Ender's Livlings that I totally want to get but uh

Make sure to get them a sealed off room with two gates for them to play in.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Aegis wrote: »
    Another fish store I was at earlier had some Ender's Livlings that I totally want to get but uh

:P I fixed the name
    Endlertwocrop.jpg

Medopine on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Aegis wrote: »

:P I fixed the name

Now see, that fish just lost all the coolness going for it.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wow, what a time for this thread to re-surface.

I was mixing saltwater today to do a VERY overdue water change. Most of my tank died off, with the exception of 2 clowns, a pajama cardnial, a royal gramma and a yellow tang. Some REALLY nasty infection claimed them. So I medicated the water, and finally decided I was spending too much money and just let nature run its course while I regrouped.

So it seems that these guys are the survivors, and I was getting 10gallons ready to change in a bucket. I mixed in salt, stuck a powerhead in there to circulate it, dropped a small, 10gal heater into it (it had been used for everything from 10gallon tanks to random emergency heat for a little under a year now). I went to work.

I just went home for dinner, and while I was eating, it sounded like something heavy dropped upstairs. I run up there, and a HUGE cloud of smoke is coming from my mixing bucket. I look in, and there's what looks like FLAMES -- UNDER WATER. I unplug everything, and air out the room.

Basically it looks like the heater EXPLODED. Has ANYONE ever seen this? I have no idea why it happened, how it happened or if I could have done anything to prevent it. Im just glad the heater wasnt in a tank when it happened.

Now Im just bummed because its one more delay in changing this water, as I have to go out and buy new RO/DI water, re-mix, ect...ugggggggggh.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hey, Medo, I'm gonna jump in this thread to be a little critical of you. :P Don't take it personal.

Your tank is way, way overstocked already and it's not even cycled. That's not only a recipe for disaster, but is needlessly cruel. I don't know much about the fish you have chosen, but the loaches alone need a 20 gallon or larger.

Cycling with fish is hard on fish since they can get ammonia poisoning. Many people do it, and I'm against it, but if that's how you want to cycle, then what you need to do is return your fish. Start with a couple small fish and slowly build up your stock over a period of several weeks or months. It can take as long as six weeks to really get a bacterial colony going naturally.

What you've set up is a massive bioload without any of the nitrogen cycle prepped. That means the water will turn toxic unless you do daily water changes to keep the ammonia levels down. Do you have test kits? What are your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings?

Regardless of the cycle, some of your fish have an adult size too large for a 10 gallon and will end up stunted. This promotes organ disorders, disease and shortened lifespans. Please, Medo, take back the fish you have and start with something smaller.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So I guess the people at the aquarium store lied to me? This wasn't PetSmart, this was the best local fish store, and sells fish only. They set me up with the aquarium and all the necessaries and sold me the fish as well.

Also I the tank has been started with added bacteria to speed up the cycling process.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So I guess the people at the aquarium store lied to me? This wasn't PetSmart, this was the best local fish store, and sells fish only. They set me up with the aquarium and all the necessaries and sold me the fish as well.

Also I the tank has been started with added bacteria to speed up the cycling process.

One thing I've learned about this hobby is that it's totally all over the board when it comes to what people think you should do. While I'm really really glad Nova chimed in with some really solid advice (which I agree with), the local guy you trust also has some great knoledge too.

The only thing you can really do is observe whats going on and be as informed as you can about the numerous decisions you'll make. If you see your fish are all healthy and swimming around, and do alright during the cycle, then I'd say you're fine. If you start to notice stress, some not eating, lethargy, or other things, look to Nova's advice as to why that may be happening.

When I started with my 10gal, I just added and added and added. The happiest, cleanest tank I EVER have had was my 10 gal with:

3 Tiger Barbs
    3 Zebra Danios
    2 Golden Algae Eaters
    2 Neon Tetras
    1 Mystery Snail

By all accounts it was really overstocked, but it thrived for a year, until a power outage killed a bunch. After that it's never been the same - and only 1 tiger barb is still kickin'. But it was just a great mix. These fish are living things, and even if it seems silly, they really do each have their own quirks and personalities and tolerances. I luckily had a batch of guys who didn't really mind close quarters, and kept a perfect balance.

Since then, especially with my saltwater, it's been a huge struggle to find fish that co-exist and are ok. So if you're lucky enough right now, I'd say you're at your limit and are good. But just be observant.

Thats just my opinion however. I just have seen so much conflicting advice, and while what Nova said IS true, that you do appear to be overstocked and maybe should have waited for the cycle to end, it's a learning experince, and if your fish are thriving, I'd say you're good to go.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Okay, looked up some info on your fish. It looks like none of the fish you have are suited to a 10 gallon. Even the Lampeyes and Pencilfish should be in a 20 gallon or larger. So your 6 lampeyes alone would overstock your tank.

Short answer is yes. They're running a business to sell you fish. If your fish all die, they get to sell you more fish. This has led to a very, very casual attitude towards aquariums since many fish are so cheap to buy. People think that a tetra that lives for 2 years dies at an old age, but tetras are supposed to live for 10 - 15 years, but so many aquariums are so harsh that nothing lives past a juvenile.

What product was the added bacteria? If it was anything other than Biospira, it's snake oil. Even 'Cycle' by Hagen doesn't really do anything. If they gave you dirtied filter media (Like a used filter sponge) or substrate from a cycled tank, that's pretty awesome too, since it already contains the necessary bacteria.

Your idea of Endler's Livebearers is cool. A small school of them on their own in your 10 gallon would be healthy. Say, four or five of them. I'd still recommend doing a fishless cycle:

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_fishless.php

But if you really don't want to, then start with a couple fish only and add the other two after a month or so.

EDIT - MX, you're right, but an understocked aquarium is much, much healthier than overstocked, easier to care for and better for your fish if they turn out to be sensitive. Medo seems like she's just getting into this hobby as a newbie, so better to err on the side of caution. :)

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well it's Day 2 and the fish appear okay. they're swimming around, ate this morning, and they're schooling, etc. I will keep a close eye on them and also pick up some water kits to keep an eye on the ammonia levels.

Thanks guys.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Nova where did you go to look up the info on the fish?

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Nova where did you go to look up the info on the fish?

Google. I spend a lot of time on www.aquahobby.com, a freshwater forum, but their gallery section (Which has some basic info about the fish) didn't list most of the species you have so I just googled them. The loaches were touch since there is apparently no such thing as a Butterfly Lizard Loach, but that's not unusual. Common names tend to be confusing as some places just make up new ones.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What are some reasons why a group of new fish would just up and die within a week? My tank has been largely stable (although 4 of my original 6 Danios have died over the past few months), and I wanted to add some tiger barbs. So we picked up 3 from the store last weekend, and yesterday I found the remaining 2 belly-up against the filter intake. Should I have my water checked?

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    TheMarshal wrote: »
    What are some reasons why a group of new fish would just up and die within a week? My tank has been largely stable (although 4 of my original 6 Danios have died over the past few months), and I wanted to add some tiger barbs. So we picked up 3 from the store last weekend, and yesterday I found the remaining 2 belly-up against the filter intake. Should I have my water checked?

Tiger Barbs are extremely vulnerable to infection. There might be something in your tank that killed of the danios slowly, but pretty much just executed the Tiger Barbs. It's impossible to say. Did their corpses look strange at all? Any bloating?

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »

Tiger Barbs are extremely vulnerable to infection. There might be something in your tank that killed of the danios slowly, but pretty much just executed the Tiger Barbs. It's impossible to say. Did their corpses look strange at all? Any bloating?

Well, one of them was probably a little bloated, 'cause it looked like the filter intake had given him very deep ridges in his body, like one would imagine play-doh would look like if you pressed a fork against it.

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hmm. Can't really say. I lost some Tiger Barbs to dropsy, but that's hard to miss. They'd look about ready to explode.

I'd suggest not adding anything new to your tank for a while. Maybe try doing a very light medication (Although it's not always a good idea to medicate the tank without proof of infection). Take some water into the pet store for them to test.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Tests bought, daily water changes imminent

EDIT: Actually I'll probably hold off today. Ammonia is at .5ppm and the nitrates and nitrites are okay.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

EDIT: Actually I'll probably hold off today. Ammonia is at .5ppm and the nitrates and nitrites are okay.

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Ammonia

.5ppm is actually pretty high.

When it comes to water changes, don't do more than 50% since water changes are stressful for the fish. With doing them every day, it'll be hard on them, but necessary until your cycle completes. Good luck.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Ammonia

.5ppm is actually pretty high.

When it comes to water changes, don't do more than 50% since water changes are stressful for the fish. With doing them every day, it'll be hard on them, but necessary until your cycle completes. Good luck.

Do you use salts Nova?

Just fed the tank, everyone's actively eating which is nice. I'll do a test and water change today (at least 1/3).

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    No, I never messed with aquarium salt. It's helpful if your fish are getting sick, but with freshwater fish, it's also really easy to fuck it up. Do a lot of reading before you try adding salt to a freshwater tank.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Medo, do you know anyone close with a freshwater aquarium?

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    an_alt wrote: »
    Medo, do you know anyone close with a freshwater aquarium?

You mean close to me?

They have a 40 gal at my boyfriend's house and my dad has a 10 gal at his house

My dad helped me set up mine

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    That ammonia level is really high. You might want to consider getting some gravel or filter media from another tank in there. Even putting some gravel into a well rinsed stocking then putting that into your tank for a while would probably help. You could also give your boyfriend's tank a partial change and take some of the water back for your tank.

Just to check, are you treating the fresh water you're adding during a water change?

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    That ammonia level is really high. You might want to consider getting some gravel or filter media from another tank in there. Even putting some gravel into a well rinsed stocking then putting that into your tank for a while would probably help. You could also give your boyfriend's tank a partial change and take some of the water back for your tank.

Just to check, are you treating the fresh water you're adding during a water change?

Yup.

I did 1/3 change today and changed the filter as well.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You guys all think I'm pretty retarded/terrible, don't you

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Yup.

I did 1/3 change today and changed the filter as well.

Don't change the filter! :P

That's where most of the bacteria grows, so you only want to change your filter media like, once a month.

EDIT: Well, we all have to start somewhere. I knew nothing about aquariums before I had mine.

The only difference being I researched before I bought fish instead of after. :)

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

NO!!!!

Not at ALL!

Honestly this whole thread is making me really glad. I was sick of CONSTANTLY getting shouted at on other aquarium forums where I had a question. I just always felt stupid, always felt like I should just give up, and always wasted money on things that they said I ABSOLUTLEY NEEDED -- when I'd later find out, yeah, it's a good thing to have, but you don't NEED it, and I could have saved that money.

So I was hoping that some people around here were into aquariums, because the vast majority of people I see on these boards are pretty helpful, and would actually talk to me like I'm an educated adult who is starting a new hobby, instead of talking to me like an idiot who shouldnt be getting into this because I don't understand how pH happens in water.

So I'm glad to see you're getting stuff fixed in your tank, and everything seems to be getting better. Keep at it - it's tons of fun once you iron out all the little things at the beginning.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Nope. Everyone has to start somewhere and even if you spent a few months doing research before getting your tank, you'd still miss a bunch of things.

Also, Nova's right about the filter media. For tanks with more than a single filter, it's even recommended staggering the media changes instead of doing them all at once.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well it's only a single filter tank.

Old filter put back in!

I guess that was pretty dumb. I was thinking along the lines of "brand new filter will get ammonia out better." Who knows why.

Anyway. I know where to come with future questions. I appreciate the feedback and just want you guys to know that I'm not blowing this off and I really do care - I started a spreadsheet to keep track of things like fish activity and water changes. Part of the reason I didn't do much research was because I was in a fish centric store that had been recommended to me by other aquarium owners and my dad helped me set it up and he's had a successful 10 gal for years.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well it's only a single filter tank.

Old filter put back in!

I guess that was pretty dumb. I was thinking along the lines of "brand new filter will get ammonia out better." Who knows why.

Anyway. I know where to come with future questions. I appreciate the feedback and just want you guys to know that I'm not blowing this off and I really do care - I started a spreadsheet to keep track of things like fish activity and water changes. Part of the reason I didn't do much research was because I was in a fish centric store that had been recommended to me by other aquarium owners and my dad helped me set it up and he's had a successful 10 gal for years.

People who've had good aquariums up for years are great for advice. Probably the best, actually. However, it's always good to plan your aquarium around the maximum size of the fish, whether or not they are good for communities and how heavy their bioload is. Like, for instance, plecos shit all over everything. It's crazy stupid. But anyway, knowing these things before buying the fish makes it easier on both you and the fish. :)

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, I definitely need to get my water checked. You've got me thinking that I'm using too much salt (the carton says to use a tablespoonful whenever you change out the water).

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, I definitely need to get my water checked. You've got me thinking that I'm using too much salt (the carton says to use a tablespoonful whenever you change out the water).

I don't know enough about aquarium salt to be able to say. Google around for advice. Again, I'm gonna spam www.aquahobby.com because the people there know their stuff. They're usually pretty good for accepting of noob mistakes, but some people on there are a little more....aggressive than others.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    TachosTachos Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Used to have a 10 gallon but i moved recently and gave it up. These were my two favorite fish i ever had... not my pictures but this is what they look like.

Dwarf Puffer
    1206_dwarfPuffer_1.jpg

he got a bad infection and died eventually, he last a few years though. and this guy is still kicking...a Bumblebee Goby
    Brachygobius%20xanthozona%20-%20Bumble%20Bee%20Goby.jpg

Tachos on
    Your sig was too tall. -Thanatos
    Sig1copy.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My dad had one of those little puffers in his brackish tank.
    Tough little bastard too (or maybe just smart). Smallest fish in the tank but never got picked on. And he was the smallest by a lot. My dad had Monos and Scats (IIRC), average fish in his tank was about the size of your hand, and none of them messed with that little puffer.

Any other puffer they tried to put in would be eaten by the end of the day. Devoured like a tiny swimming marshmallow, except that first one.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well everyone will be glad to hear that I took all of the fish except the two loaches back today

I noticed some yellowing on the killi's fins and that was a good enough excuse for me - plus their little fishy suffering due to high ammonia has been bothering me a lot these past few days

Will keep doing water changes and probably get some substrate from the tank at my bf's house later this weekend

I also got to look around the fish store and pick out some fish to research - plus I found myself looking on craigslist for used 20+ gal aquariums today...

I think I might be in trouble :P

Medopine on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    We have two fish tanks, a 5 gallon hexagon tank that is currently inhabited by an itty bitty frog and some inbred mollies.

We also have a 10 gallon tank with four african claw frogs in it. Those things are fucking awesome.

Clint Eastwood on