As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer: The Game of Fantasy Battles

• Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Norgoth wrote: »
    So, I bought a Tomb King battalion today. Mani, give me your wisdom.

Also the 40k/fantasy link is pretty much just fun little refrence thing, it mostly comes from when 40k was just fantasy in space.

awesome!
    the key thing to remember with tomb kings is that your entire army causes fear.
    By running big blocks of skeletons (i do them 25 strong) you ensure that you outnumber. Then when you win combat he auto breaks and you can overrun. Its a sound tactic, and works on everything except those pesky immune to psych types. I'll post a 1k list i use when i get home tonight if youre interested.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

Also the 40k/fantasy link is pretty much just fun little refrence thing, it mostly comes from when 40k was just fantasy in space.

awesome!
    By running big blocks of skeletons (i do them 25 strong) you ensure that you outnumber. Then when you win combat he auto breaks and you can overrun. Its a sound tactic, and works on everything except those pesky immune to psych types. I'll post a 1k list i use when i get home tonight if youre interested.

I wrote a 2k list for a player in my LGS. He had only two units of archers, a unit of skels and tomb guard. When I re-wrote it (with no prior TK knowlege) It had two skele units, an archers unit, two catapults, tomb guard, horseman, Chariots. I was thinking about running something similar. Or going heavy chariot.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    40k and Fantasy tie n quite well.

With the whole "Earth was in a warp storm but was released" thing at the start of the 40k universe.

So it could have been than various factions got stranded on what happened to be a fledgling planet.

And somehow lost all of their techology (in the Eldar's/Elves case)

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It seems the more races you tie-in to a story, the more convoluted and ridiculous it gets, so I really hope there isn't ever anything solid connecting the two.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

awesome!

I wrote a 2k list for a player in my LGS. He had only two units of archers, a unit of skels and tomb guard. When I re-wrote it (with no prior TK knowlege) It had two skele units, an archers unit, two catapults, tomb guard, horseman, Chariots. I was thinking about running something similar. Or going heavy chariot.

Honestly, I prefer taking my base skeleton warrior regiments with just plain bows instead of shields. The 6+ save that's easily negated doesn't really make up for the 10-15 shots I can take before getting them into combat. (Skeleton warriors always hit on a 5+, even when they've moved).
    When rolling your skeletons, you've got to walk the fine line between keeping your units big enough to outnumber (and therefore autobreak your opponent when you win combat), and making them so big they're unwieldy and easily outflanked.
    I really love Tomb Guard. Give them the banner of the undying legion, or the eye of rakaph, and they're going to be a powerhouse unit for sure. If you're feeling super bold, you can stick your tomb king up front with the collar of shapesh (redirect any wound to another model within 4" on a 4+), and the destroyer of eternities (great weapon, can give up your attacks to get 2 auto hits at strength 7).
    It's a bit of an "all your eggs in one basket" strategy, but when paired with a bone giant or a casket of souls, your opponent is going to have a tough time handling them both adequately.
    Alternatively, you can throw your tomb king in a chariot, give him the flail of skulls, and let him go to town on your enemies back line/flank.
    You've got a ton of options, but just remember that you're going to have to run character heavy no matter what.
    The tomb kings really break down to 2 key factors, making judicious use of the extra moves and attacks gained by bringing extra liche priests, and capitalizing on fear to break enemies and either run them down, or run them directly into another unit/impassible terrain behind them.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

awesome!

Honestly, I prefer taking my base skeleton warrior regiments with just plain bows instead of shields. The 6+ save that's easily negated doesn't really make up for the 10-15 shots I can take before getting them into combat. (Skeleton warriors always hit on a 5+, even when they've moved).
    When rolling your skeletons, you've got to walk the fine line between keeping your units big enough to outnumber (and therefore autobreak your opponent when you win combat), and making them so big they're unwieldy and easily outflanked.
    I really love Tomb Guard. Give them the banner of the undying legion, or the eye of rakaph, and they're going to be a powerhouse unit for sure. If you're feeling super bold, you can stick your tomb king up front with the collar of shapesh (redirect any wound to another model within 4" on a 4+), and the destroyer of eternities (great weapon, can give up your attacks to get 2 auto hits at strength 7).
    It's a bit of an "all your eggs in one basket" strategy, but when paired with a bone giant or a casket of souls, your opponent is going to have a tough time handling them both adequately.
    Alternatively, you can throw your tomb king in a chariot, give him the flail of skulls, and let him go to town on your enemies back line/flank.
    You've got a ton of options, but just remember that you're going to have to run character heavy no matter what.
    The tomb kings really break down to 2 key factors, making judicious use of the extra moves and attacks gained by bringing extra liche priests, and capitalizing on fear to break enemies and either run them down, or run them directly into another unit/impassible terrain behind them.

I was thinking of having units with light armour hw+s, and use them to set up the enemy for a cav/chariot flank.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, Sigmar:
    He's dead. He lies in repose inside a Slann stasis-tomb, which was given to a strange kingdom of dwarves who watch over him inside some huge mountain. When the time is right, he'll return to lay down a mighty ass-beating.

Kinda weak, but it's straight from the horses mouth. Didn't think to ask about the whole Primarch thing. I never bought into it personally, but next time I can, i'll ask.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Lot of stuff has probably shifted and changed over the years though (is the Emperor still Cliff Richard, no one knows...).

Sigmar being in a stasis tomb does raise quite important questions regarding the diety that is answering Sigmarite prayers. Prayers getting answered and divine magic is a fairly recent development in warhammer from what I remember.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    regarding night goblins

is there any real tactical reason to want a regiment of the little dudes with spears and shields? Or is it a waste to take them with anything but bows to act as a nuisance? With a WS of 2 and a BS of 3, it seems to me that the bows would be the wiser choice, but I can see how they'd be useful in theory for tying up other regiments in hand-to-hand to allow other troops to get a flank.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    How recent is recent? I have my 1995 WHFRP book here that has rules for priests using spells and Gods stomping them if they don't act appropriately. I don't think Warhammer had actual priests on the battlefield for some time, though. I don't think the Warhammer Armies: The Empire book I have (from around 1995 or so too) has any rules for them.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can see how they'd be useful in theory for tying up other regiments in hand-to-hand to allow other troops to get a flank.
    If you're going all-goblin or goblin-heavy then speargobbos fill that role, yeah. If you're just having a unit or two of gobbos in with your orcs I'd almost certainly arm them with bows, as the orcs can do the "propa fightin". Saying that, a nice big rank bonus is always beneficial.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I find bows is best, especially when delivering fanatics.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2007

awesome!

I was thinking of having units with light armour hw+s, and use them to set up the enemy for a cav/chariot flank.

It may work, but I still prefer bows personally.
    I often find myself in a position where I need to trim points, and if I've ever armored up my skellys that's the first thing coming off.
    Realistically, taking the armor off two units of skeletons usually means another ushabti, or half a scorpion or something much more useful.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm in a similar conundrum. I'm planning on having two blocks of night goblins as a fanatic delivery system, and I'm not sure how to equip them. I may field one with spears, just because I have so many BfSP models. The other will be HW+S I think. Perhaps some with bows isn't a bad idea. Maybe a little bodyguard unit for a shaman or something.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So, I have a problem. Tonight at my shop, we're having a 16 man free for all, 200 point hero battle. You can take up to three hero's.

I play Ogre kingdoms, so this limits me to just 1 of course: Either The Butcher, or the Bruiser, with 50 points of respective magical war gear.

So, I submit to my fellow peers: What should I take, and what should I equip? The goal is to be the last man standing.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Does a Butcher's magic work on himself?

Take a Butcher.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think with a butcher and spell slinging would be a good call, + they can be a beast in combat. + being able to heal his own wounds etc. take the butcher.

also as goblins i roll blocks of 35 spear goblins, and 25 bow goblins. This is only when im not rolling 2 units of 25 boys with 2 choppas. I tend to use the spear gobos as a tar pit. it all depends on who im facing too.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    3lwap0 wrote: »
    So, I have a problem. Tonight at my shop, we're having a 16 man free for all, 200 point hero battle. You can take up to three hero's.

I play Ogre kingdoms, so this limits me to just 1 of course: Either The Butcher, or the Bruiser, with 50 points of respective magical war gear.

So, I submit to my fellow peers: What should I take, and what should I equip? The goal is to be the last man standing.
    Deathcheater big name and a spangleshard for a bruiser, or Halfling cookbook and the magic cleaver for a butcher. Also, why not take a Hunter?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Deathcheater big name and a spangleshard for a bruiser, or Halfling cookbook and the magic cleaver for a butcher. Also, why not take a Hunter?

I was, and still am leaning on the hunter. With the 'tusks, he's at 185 points, leaving me 15 points for, well, not much. Maybe take beastkiller, and be immune to pyschology.

It's that or maybe a Butcher, with a bangstick and the cleaver (or the cookbook, tough call). My concern is just getting everything I cast dispelled.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Sigmar being in a stasis tomb does raise quite important questions regarding the diety that is answering Sigmarite prayers. Prayers getting answered and divine magic is a fairly recent development in warhammer from what I remember.

Maybe it's an exceptionally weak Chaos god-thing (or an exceptionally strong Chaos demon) who found a huge pocket of belief after Sigmar's death and is using that for his own nefarious ends. Or maybe it's Tzeentch doing... uh... Tzeentchy things.

edit @Joeslop: I've finally found someone who has done weirder things to his Skaven than I have.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Options
    VoraciousAardvarkVoraciousAardvark Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

I was, and still am leaning on the hunter. With the 'tusks, he's at 185 points, leaving me 15 points for, well, not much. Maybe take beastkiller, and be immune to pyschology.

It's that or maybe a Butcher, with a bangstick and the cleaver (or the cookbook, tough call). My concern is just getting everything I cast dispelled.

I don't even see that as a choice to make. The hunter is just as good statwise as the other models, and comes with a damn boltthrower. Thats HUGE in a smallscale game. If you're allowed to take his retinue of tusks, thats a bonus. They're mean, and their speed is going to help you take care of anyone that choosed to make a "sniper" hero, and outrange you.

VoraciousAardvark on
    DirectLogo.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I played three really weird games today. This morning I had a 2000 pt battle with my Tomb Kings against a Dwarf Slayer army.
    It was, whats that word?Hmm... oh yeah, shitty.
    There was a point where I had a rear charge a flank charge, and a forward charge (from a unit of tomb guard with a tomb king) and my opponent's unit got 10 attacks that hit on 2s, with rerolled misses, wounded on 2s, and one unit was able to drop a few D6 worth of attacks on me before combat even began.
    Staying back wasn't an option, as he had at least 20 dispell dice, and his axe thrower thing was massacring everything that wasn't tied up in combat.
    Once I lost to a unit that I had charged on three sides I knew the game was only going to end in a loss.
    It wouldn't have been so bad, but the guy I was playing with bragged like he was winning on skill alone, when he had been outflanked at least three times.

I played two more games against that skink list from the lustria book. I'd never met the guy, but he saw me walk into the shop and immediately asked me if I was down for a 1500 point game, so I slapped a quick list together and we began setting up.
    After he'd placed all his scouts and I'd buried my scorpion I thought we were done, when he reached into his bag and pulled out a unit of chameleon skinks that were then deployed 2 inches from my hierophant.
    I lost the initiative roll so he got to go first.
    On the first turn he fired 20 poisoned shots at my heirophant, hit with 12, and got 5 poisoned wounds. I lost my heirophant and we called the game.

We then replayed the game, and I deployed my liche in a unit as not to get wasted by those chameleons again, and I ended up doing much better. He ran from all my charges, which sort of wasted my Tomb Guard by sending them all over the table, but in the end, I won by a little over 100 points so we called it a draw.
    Not a bad game, but I think that if I were going up against that red host list again (He got like 8 characters!) I'd skip the casket, and bring a catapult with an extra scorpion or some ushabti.

But seriously, fuck slayer armies.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Slayer armies are notoriously dodgy. They are useful in a dawrf army, but just wrong en masse. Chameleon skinks are the main reason I Hate lizardmen. Well not hate per say. They are very very annoying for exacatlly the reason you describe. They exist to wipe out isolated mages, warmachines, squishy archer units and the like. They are really hard to pin down too.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    After he'd placed all his scouts and I'd buried my scorpion I thought we were done, when he reached into his bag and pulled out a unit of chameleon skinks that were then deployed 2 inches from my hierophant.
    I lost the initiative roll so he got to go first.

Unless they were in cover, they cant do this.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It depends a bit. If the priest was by himself, thus having as 360 line of sight, then the Chameleons would have to be in/behind something. If the priest had clear line of sight to them, they would have to be 12" away.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So, my 200 point hero battle conclusions:

I won! Out of eight players, I was the last man standing. Upon some excellent advice, I took the hunter, two cats, and the Mawseeker name. Here's how I did it:

I was going third, so I also got place 3rd. I picked a hill in the corner of the map, and after everyone had placed thier hero's, and the first two players went, I had to decide what to do. One player had placed his hero's within my bolt throwers range (by an inch, it was a close shot), and I elected to take it. I needed a 6 to hit, so I rolled a 6, and then D3 wounds, I rolled a 6 again. The game is 5 minutes old, and I harpooned a guy 35'' inches out, and took out his saurus old blood. After the stunned silence of all players, everyone decided that they would stay far away from me, after i'd made an example of someone who got too close.

Then they fought amongst themselves, killed each other, and I mopped up. It was a hilarious and fun game, and i'd highly recommend it to anyone who wanted to try it out.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    Looks like I'll have to buy a hunter. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    hey, jam you got screwed by those chameleon skinks.. indaviducal units have 360 degree line of sight, so he has to set up at least 12 inches away from your units. had this happen to me in my first game against my buddies skink list, I almost threw the rule book at his head. and unless the slayer guy had a rune that increased his to hit, the lowest you can ever have to roll to hit is 3, and if he got 20 shots with multi shot it should be a -1 to hit he would at least be rolling 4 to hit if not 5. Sorry to hear that your games went to shit but sounds like you were playing some fuckers.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Draeven wrote: »
    hey, jam you got screwed by those chameleon skinks.. indaviducal units have 360 degree line of sight, so he has to set up at least 12 inches away from your units. had this happen to me in my first game against my buddies skink list, I almost threw the rule book at his head. and unless the slayer guy had a rune that increased his to hit, the lowest you can ever have to roll to hit is 3, and if he got 20 shots with multi shot it should be a -1 to hit he would at least be rolling 4 to hit if not 5. Sorry to hear that your games went to shit but sounds like you were playing some fuckers.

Not quite true. If the skins were in or behind cover they can deploy with no minimum distance. They have the same rules as waywatchers.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So my mighty empires game is kicking off, and I challenged a Chaos Dwarf player.

I've played agaist dwarves once, and never against chaos dwarves. I'm faintly knowledgeable of thier tactics, warmachines etc., So any help anyone could offer me would be great. I gotta build an army list to take'em out (I play Ogre Kingdoms). Much thanks in advance to anyone who has any advice.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So my mighty empires game is kicking off, and I challenged a Chaos Dwarf player.

I've played agaist dwarves once, and never against chaos dwarves. I'm faintly knowledgeable of thier tactics, warmachines etc., So any help anyone could offer me would be great. I gotta build an army list to take'em out (I play Ogre Kingdoms). Much thanks in advance to anyone who has any advice.

Read this.

Also be prepared to move slow. Very slow. Earthshakers will mess up you battleline and screw up shooting.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Read this.

Also be prepared to move slow. Very slow. Earthshakers will mess up you battleline and screw up shooting.

Oh wait, it gets worse. He gets to deploy last, and move first (goddamn Mighty Empires events).

Jesus, those Earthshaker guns are going to remove any speed advantage my Ogre's have. Fuck. I wonder if I should just spread my ogres out, to avoid having them all slowed, or group them tighter, and just deal with it. I know I can kill the earthshakers with my Gorgers, I just need good rolls to get them out. Being a newbie, I think i'm fucked.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    VoraciousAardvarkVoraciousAardvark Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I won! Out of eight players, I was the last man standing. Upon some excellent advice, I took the hunter, two cats, and the Mawseeker name. Here's how I did it:

I was going third, so I also got place 3rd. I picked a hill in the corner of the map, and after everyone had placed thier hero's, and the first two players went, I had to decide what to do. One player had placed his hero's within my bolt throwers range (by an inch, it was a close shot), and I elected to take it. I needed a 6 to hit, so I rolled a 6, and then D3 wounds, I rolled a 6 again. The game is 5 minutes old, and I harpooned a guy 35'' inches out, and took out his saurus old blood. After the stunned silence of all players, everyone decided that they would stay far away from me, after i'd made an example of someone who got too close.

Then they fought amongst themselves, killed each other, and I mopped up. It was a hilarious and fun game, and i'd highly recommend it to anyone who wanted to try it out.

I'm glad that worked out for you so well, and that we could give you some decent advice. Sounds like a lot of fun. I've always (since they've been out) used a hunter in games like that, so from past experience, seemed like a good direction to point you. Glad you took first place, did you win any loot?

VoraciousAardvark on
    DirectLogo.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Exitus wrote: »
    It depends a bit. If the priest was by himself, thus having as 360 line of sight, then the Chameleons would have to be in/behind something. If the priest had clear line of sight to them, they would have to be 12" away.

See, that's what I thought, (I use scouts with my Wood Elves list), but everyone around us kept saying that what he did was totally legal.
    Oh well.

I decided that I'm just not going to play against that slayer army again. It's not fun.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I'm glad that worked out for you so well, and that we could give you some decent advice. Sounds like a lot of fun. I've always (since they've been out) used a hunter in games like that, so from past experience, seemed like a good direction to point you. Glad you took first place, did you win any loot?

Sadly, no loot. I did get to pick the first tile in the Might Empires campaign we're playing, so I got choice placement, and the first event for me (Landgrab).

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

See, that's what I thought, (I use scouts with my Wood Elves list), but everyone around us kept saying that what he did was totally legal.
    Oh well.

I would disagree with that. This is, of course, why I always place my skirmishers, warmachines and/or characters in a spread-out formation to keep those chameleon jerks from setting up behind me.

Edit: also, there's a reason Slayer armies aren't supposed to be tournament legal.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Oh well.

I decided that I'm just not going to play against that slayer army again. It's not fun.

the rule says place them "exactly like scouts only with no minimum distance between them and the enemy" or " in line of sight of the enemy (even in the open), but more than 12" away from them"

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    WHY wrote: »

Oh well.

I would disagree with that. This is, of course, why I always place my skirmishers, warmachines and/or characters in a spread-out formation to keep those chameleon jerks from setting up behind me.
    Well, I did that actually, but they kept saying he just had to be 2 inches away as some special chameleon lustria thing, and I didn't argue.
    Edit: also, there's a reason Slayer armies aren't supposed to be tournament legal.

That's what everyone was saying during the game.
    It wouldn't been so bad if my opponent hadn't acted like he was some tactical genius. He just marched straight up the field, letting me pick up flanks left and right.
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    the rule says place them "exactly like scouts only with no minimum distance between them and the enemy" or " in line of sight of the enemy (even in the open), but more than 12" away from them"

Yeah, I just looked them up.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Slayer lists are hax.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ok so the TK list im planning on running will probably be something like this.
    Tomb king, Shield, Armour of ages, Golden Ankhra

Lich Priest
    2x dispel scroll

Lich Priest
    2x dispel scroll

Tomb Prince
    Chariot
    Shield
    spear
    light armor
    Chariot of fire
    Golden eye of rah nut

20 skeleton warriors
    light armor
    command
    hw+s

20 skeleton warriors
    light armor
    command
    hw+s

20 skeleton warriors
    light armor
    command
    hw+s

20 tomb guard
    command

3 chariots
    command

8 Skeleton Horsemen
    command

2 bases of tomb swarms

This list is basically designed to get me playing with my new TK's as soon as possible and let me get a feel for the army before buying like £100 worth of catapults giants and caskets. Im hoping to still be able to pull out some wins though. Basically mass blocks of skeletons, with me using my spells and "my will be done" moves to basically get in some free attacks and flanks in order to win via mass attrition. The chariots and horsemen are there to negate ranks and hopefully guarantee the outnumber

Norgoth on
This discussion has been closed.